PDA

View Full Version : Old Buddy JB

duke of dorwood
12-31-2001, 08:56 PM
Per the NY Post, the Mets have him on their seemingly endless wish list, after they sign Juan Gonzalez

Daver
12-31-2001, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Per the NY Post, the Mets have him on their seemingly endless wish list, after they sign Juan Gonzalez

They can have him.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-01-2002, 09:21 AM
Here's an interesting question...

Which would you prefer?

A.) The Todd Ritchie trade that costs us Kipper, Lowe, and Fogg,

or

B.) Acquiring free agent James Baldwin that costs us additional salary.

:reinsy
"I know which one I prefer!"

:ohno
"84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92,..."

duke of dorwood
01-01-2002, 10:16 AM
I would have kept the 3 pitchers. If we could have got Ritchie for less, fine, he's not a 3 for 1 guy. JB was dependable, and I bet we could have got him fairly cheap-doesnt seem to be a ground swell for him.

czalgosz
01-01-2002, 12:32 PM
Well, at least JB got his career ERA below 5... I don't know, Baldwin is a fly-ball pitcher, Ritchie a ground-ball pitcher. It's kind of moot, JR will not go after free agents.

Yeah, how many times do I have to tell you guys?

Although, did aquiring Ritchie add salary? I don't think that Kip and Lowe and Fogg combined will make as much next season as Ritchie will...

oldcomiskey
01-01-2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I would have kept the 3 pitchers. If we could have got Ritchie for less, fine, he's not a 3 for 1 guy. JB was dependable, and I bet we could have got him fairly cheap-doesnt seem to be a ground swell for him.

JB was dependable all right---the highest ERA in history for a pitcher with many innings

kermittheefrog
01-02-2002, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Here's an interesting question...

Which would you prefer?

A.) The Todd Ritchie trade that costs us Kipper, Lowe, and Fogg,

or

B.) Acquiring free agent James Baldwin that costs us additional salary.

"I know which one I prefer!"

"84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92,..."

Can I pick neither and just keep the 3 guys we gave up?

Bmr31
01-02-2002, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Can I pick neither and just keep the 3 guys we gave up?

can i 2nd that?

Bmr31
01-02-2002, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey

JB was dependable all right---the highest ERA in history for a pitcher with many innings

lol yeah. Ive said this before. what good does an "inning eater" do if his era is above 5?

PaleHoseGeorge
01-02-2002, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31
lol yeah. Ive said this before. what good does an "inning eater" do if his era is above 5?

Wow. Two more votes against making the Ritchie trade. I suppose he might surprise us and make KW look like a genius.

But I'm not holding my breath. :cool:

:KW
"Say one thing for me. I'm not afraid to deal."

"We know."

:schueler
"I was afraid of my own shadow when it came to trades."

"No way we make the 'White Flag' trade without my approval--assuming anyone believes it wasn't my idea in the first place."

"Who's 'crazy' enough to believe it wasn't your idea, Jerry?"

CubKilla
01-02-2002, 10:16 AM
Let me 3rd, 4th , 5th, etc that motion. Unless Todd Ritchie has been holding something back the past couple of years, I don't see how he is worth K. Wells, Lowe, and Fogg. KW says Ritchie's W-L #'s will improve now that he has a better offense behind him. But what will the Sox offense do to help an ERA constantly around 4.00 or 5.00? Maybe it's just me.

nut_stock
01-02-2002, 10:23 AM
His ERA is and will be under 5.0. Also if he finishes around 4.0, I'd be pretty happy, since thats actually good in the AL now.

bjmarte
01-02-2002, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by CubsF'nBlow
Let me 3rd, 4th , 5th, etc that motion. Unless Todd Ritchie has been holding something back the past couple of years, I don't see how he is worth K. Wells, Lowe, and Fogg.

I don't think that the Ritchie deal is that bad, if we had only given away two of the three. We might argue about the best one to keep but if we had held back any one of them it would have made the deal pretty decent.