PDA

View Full Version : "Cubs’ Baker feels no pressure from White Sox"

WhiteSoxFan84
01-14-2006, 10:43 AM
“That has nothing to do with the job. Not really. Pressure is what you put on yourself,” he said. “You can’t do anything about what the Sox did, you can’t do anything about the last year of your contract.”

Linky (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10843174/)

I think the Michael Barrett comments were more harmful than this but I still don't like this guy.

VivaOzzie
01-14-2006, 11:55 AM
This guy is an absolute fool. I can't believe I thought he was a good coach at one point (after the SF World Series). I don't give a damn about his reference to the Sox, but if I was a cubs fan I would be irrate about...

"you can’t do anything about the last year of your contract.”

Ummm, work harder? Coach better? :dunno:

caulfield12
01-14-2006, 12:32 PM
Linky (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10843174/)

I think the Michael Barrett comments were more harmful than this but I still don't like this guy.

It´s never a good thing when your multi-million dollar manager is talking openly about depression and "I understand how they feel,'' Baker said of the boo birds. "I was sitting there last year seeing things I haven't seen since junior high school. I completely agree with them.''

It reminds me a lot of the White Sox the last couple of seasons under Manuel. Lots of talent, but terrible execution and fundamentals, especially baserunning, bunting and advancing runners. Of course, Baker can blame the minor league instructors, but it is still his responsibility in the end.

Fenway
01-14-2006, 02:53 PM
Cubs fans waking up?

Both general manager Jim Hendry and Baker were booed when introduced at the start of the club's annual winter convention Friday

http://www.foxchicago.com/_ezpost/data/33751.shtml

PaleHoseGeorge
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
Cubs fans waking up?

Both general manager Jim Hendry and Baker were booed when introduced at the start of the club's annual winter convention Friday
http://www.foxchicago.com/_ezpost/data/33751.shtml
Gee, that's odd. My morning Cubune made it sound like mostly sunshine and rainbows over at the Flubs convention. Here's Our Guy "Sox Fan" Paul Sullivan covering the exact same topic...

The uncertain future of Baker, who like Hendry received mostly cheers but scattered boos upon their introductions, also was a major topic of interest Friday.

SoxSpeed22
01-14-2006, 03:34 PM
Baker won't feel much pressure, but the next manager certainly will. Especially since they are getting closer to the 100 years. I still stand by the national pressure building up compared to the local pressure.

Fenway
01-14-2006, 04:16 PM
here is something to warm your hearts on a January day

In 1959, when the Chicago White Sox got to the World Series, the city of Chicago set off its warning sirens to celebrate. That was nothing like the wailing that could be heard on the north side Wednesday night after the Chicago Cubs lost to the Florida Marlins, 9-6, in the seventh and deciding game of the National League Championship Series.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brew/oct03/177616.asp

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/sports/brew/img/oct03/sfan1016.jpg (http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/sports/brew/img/oct03/fan1016.jpg)Photo/AP
Chicago Cubs fan Jenny Naleck weeps after the Florida Marlins beat the Cubs 9-6 to win the National League pennant Wednesday.

getonbckthr
01-14-2006, 05:01 PM
To be honest if I was Dusty, besides wanting shoot myself, I wouldn't worry about the Sox either. I know they are in the same city but you have to view it the same as if the Angels or Twins or Braves won it. Basically you didn't win it therefor your goal is to win it because thats your job not win it to match the Sox.

Viva Medias B's
01-14-2006, 10:49 PM
Paul Sullivan's recap on the Hendry-Baker seminar has this gem:

The first awkward occasion occurred when one particularly long-winded blogger groused that White Sox GM Ken Williams and manager Ozzie Guillen were "smoking cigars with their feet up and laughing at us, laughing at you guys, laughing at the North Side."

Link (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060114cubs,1,3494205.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed) for those of you Tribune-registered.

Chisox003
01-14-2006, 11:00 PM
I seriously wish we could completely disassociate ourselves with them.

I hate sharing our city with that ..... Just go away already

SOXSINCE'70
01-14-2006, 11:17 PM
Here's a fruitless plea to MLB comissioner Budlight Selig;
I don't care if they're a cash cow and they're owned by a petty
newspaper which some feel is biased,PLEASE MAKE THE sCrUBS
GO AWAY NOW!!!!

I guess the Sox will have to win 4 WS titles for the CLTV based
newspaper to pay attention.The irony: when they entered the
A.L. in 1901,a Tribune reporter grew so tired of writing Chicago
White Stockings each day,legend has it he shortened the word
stockings to S-O-X.:angry: :angry:

Brian26
01-14-2006, 11:30 PM
Paul Sullivan's recap on the Hendry-Baker seminar has this gem:
Quote:
The first awkward occasion occurred when one particularly long-winded blogger groused that White Sox GM Ken Williams and manager Ozzie Guillen were "smoking cigars with their feet up and laughing at us, laughing at you guys, laughing at the North Side."

Link (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060114cubs,1,3494205.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed) for those of you Tribune-registered.

Wow, that's fantastic. Funny stuff! LOL! :D:

mike squires
01-14-2006, 11:36 PM
It's not the Sox he shold be worried about!!! I'd be worried about losing my job by June if my team plays like they always do. I say Baker doesn't manage the Cubs an entire season.

kittle42
01-15-2006, 12:20 AM
Dustiny.

SoxSpeed22
01-15-2006, 12:26 AM
Dustiny.http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/maggie_haskins/08/12/stone.color/t1_dusty.jpg
In Dusty they no longer trusty.

getonbckthr
01-15-2006, 12:32 AM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/maggie_haskins/08/12/stone.color/t1_dusty.jpg
In Dusty they no longer trusty.
The guy rubbing his lips in the gray sweatshirt kind of reminds me of Theo Epstein.

1951Campbell
01-15-2006, 01:17 AM
"you can’t do anything about the last year of your contract.

Translation: I'm mailing it in.

StillMissOzzie
01-15-2006, 01:19 AM
My prediction: 2006 = Dusty Baker Farewell Tour from Chicago.

Many have noted that Hendry has not yet talked about a contract extention with Baker, maybe because he's on his last year himself, IIRC. Being the good company man, he's not going to saddle the next GM with Baker for another stint.

SMO
:gulp:

Tragg
01-15-2006, 02:29 AM
To be honest if I was Dusty, besides wanting shoot myself, I wouldn't worry about the Sox either. I know they are in the same city but you have to view it the same as if the Angels or Twins or Braves won it. Basically you didn't win it therefor your goal is to win it because thats your job not win it to match the Sox.

I agree - he needs to worry about his own team, not the Sox. SABR types have never liked him as a manager even at SF; I don't know, they may be right. But he's got an up the middle defense worse than he may be as a manager to worry about.

havelj
01-15-2006, 02:21 PM
Highlights from the Loser Convention yesterday per the Tribune:

The majority of questioners rambled on and on about their Cubs-related heartbreak before offering an actual question, many plugging their Cubs-related blog. The first awkward occasion occurred when one particularly long-winded blogger groused that White Sox GM Ken Williams and manager Ozzie Guillen were "smoking cigars with their feet up and laughing at us, laughing at you guys, laughing at the North Side."

AND

Baker's awkward moment came minutes later, when a perturbed fan drew applause for criticizing the manager's game strategy.
"I swear to God, I don't understand why you've never heard of a squeeze bunt in your life," the fan said. "A manager has a chance to have a direct
impact on 10-15 games a season, and I don't think we won one of them last year." Cubs fans make a commitment to you guys every year. It's time you guys make a commitment to us."

"Thank you," Baker replied.

SOXintheBURGH
01-15-2006, 02:43 PM
Highlights from the Loser Convention yesterday per the Tribune:

The majority of questioners rambled on and on about their Cubs-related heartbreak before offering an actual question, many plugging their Cubs-related blog. The first awkward occasion occurred when one particularly long-winded blogger groused that White Sox GM Ken Williams and manager Ozzie Guillen were "smoking cigars with their feet up and laughing at us, laughing at you guys, laughing at the North Side."

AND

Baker's awkward moment came minutes later, when a perturbed fan drew applause for criticizing the manager's game strategy.
"I swear to God, I don't understand why you've never heard of a squeeze bunt in your life," the fan said. "A manager has a chance to have a direct
impact on 10-15 games a season, and I don't think we won one of them last year." Cubs fans make a commitment to you guys every year. It's time you guys make a commitment to us."

"Thank you," Baker replied.

Those poor souls.

Hangar18
01-16-2006, 09:19 AM
I seriously wish we could completely disassociate ourselves with them.

I hate sharing our city with that ..... Just go away already

I couldnt agree more. I hate the fact that we are both in the same city.
I chatted with an Indians fan, he went with two of his cubby friends to the convention on saturday (he wore his indians hat he said, hes NOT a cub fan and actually likes the SOX more) and said the mood was not Happy Fest.
He said the White Sox came up the entire weekend and thats all everyone talked about. Interesting.

Hangar18
01-16-2006, 09:22 AM
Translation: I'm mailing it in.

Your probably right about that. Look for the Media to start the Pineilla-to-Cubs rumors very soon.

MarySwiss
01-16-2006, 10:48 AM
Saturday, when I was in line at Tucson Electric Park, there were two women in the line next to me in full Cubs regalia, sitting on those obnoxious folding Cubs chairs. I heard one of them tell the other about how she went to Chicago last year and had a wonderful time at "Wrigley Park." And they wonder why we make fun of them!

I also chatted with a Cubs fan in another line. He told me he had visited Chicago last year and wanted to see a Cubs game, but they were in St. Louis. However, there was a high school game being played at Wrigley. He had never been to Wrigley and wanted to see it, so he went to the game, but it had just ended. So he went up to one of the ushers, explained he was visting from Tucson, and asked if he could just go in for a minute and look at the field. They wouldn't let him. (Figures.) He tld me he was really angry that they couldn't just let him look at the damn field. I comforted him by telling him he was actually pretty lucky because he didn't have to worry about getting his skull caved in by a hunk of falling concrete. :cool:

Ol' No. 2
01-16-2006, 10:54 AM
Saturday, when I was in line at Tucson Electric Park, there were two women in the line next to me in full Cubs regalia, sitting on those obnoxious folding Cubs chairs. I heard one of them tell the other about how she went to Chicago last year and had a wonderful time at "Wrigley Park." And they wonder why we make fun of them!

I also chatted with a Cubs fan in another line. He told me he had visited Chicago last year and wanted to see a Cubs game, but they were in St. Louis. However, there was a high school game being played at Wrigley. He had never been to Wrigley and wanted to see it, so he went to the game, but it had just ended. So he went up to one of the ushers, explained he was visting from Tucson, and asked if he could just go in for a minute and look at the field. They wouldn't let him. (Figures.) He tld me he was really angry that they couldn't just let him look at the damn field. I comforted him by telling him he was actually pretty lucky because he didn't have to worry about getting his skull caved in by a hunk of falling concrete. :cool:Here's a tip you can pass along to anyone you know that wants to "see Wrigley Field". They offer tours on off days for $10. Take the tour, and with the money you save over buying a game ticket, go 8.1 miles south and buy a ticket to see real baseball.

MarySwiss
01-16-2006, 11:05 AM
Here's a tip you can pass along to anyone you know that wants to "see Wrigley Field". They offer tours on off days for $10. Take the tour, and with the money you save over buying a game ticket, go 8.1 miles south and buy a ticket to see real baseball.

Yeah, I told him they had tours, but I didn't know details. I may run into him at the Sox/Cubs game; I know what section he's in. If I do, I'll pass along the info. Thanks.

Dan Mega
01-16-2006, 12:20 PM
A friend of a mine (flubs fan) went to the convention. He said the Sox were coming up left and right. I think the Sox winning the World Series opened up so many eyes of the Cubs faithful. Now they want what we have, and they're starting to realize they won't get it with Hendry and Dusty.