PDA

View Full Version : *Official* SoxFest Planning Thread

Viva Medias B's
01-14-2006, 09:30 AM
As we all know, SoxFest is sold out entirely for the first time ever. In the past, the Saturday session used to sell out. But now, all three days are sold out and all the Hyatt Regency Chicago packages are gone too. What this means is that we'll have to deal with bigger crowds there, obviously. For those of us who are SoxFest veterans, how should we plan to adjust to the increased crowds? For example, to see the opening ceremony, will we have to show up at 12 noon for an event four hours later?

krohnjw
01-14-2006, 09:37 AM
I am flying in Thursday night and plan on getting in line for the opening ceremony EARLY on friday. The Hyatt has allowed us very early checkin in the past so I am going to wander down that way around 11 or so and see if I can checkin and then get in line for the opening ceremony.

I think a lot of the added crowd will be there for autographs, but you will still need to show up early for the Q&A and clinics unless you want back row or SRO :(:

That said, it should be a lot of fun. I am hoping that with the addition of some of the younger guys (cotts, jenks, mccarthy, andseron) we should get some more activity in the bar on Friday/Saturday night.

rookieroy
01-14-2006, 10:03 AM
As we all know, SoxFest is sold out entirely for the first time ever. In the past, the Saturday session used to sell out. But now, all three days are sold out and all the Hyatt Regency Chicago packages are gone too. What this means is that we'll have to deal with bigger crowds there, obviously. For those of us who are SoxFest veterans, how should we plan to adjust to the increased crowds? For example, to see the opening ceremony, will we have to show up at 12 noon for an event four hours later?

You should be good between 11a-12noon and be within the first 5 lines to watch the ceromony. I know for a fact a good number of people will be hanging out the night before just to get in line up front. I have been one of the first 25 in line for 10 years now. With a World Series winner, the early arrivals will be even earlier. You can put it on the board....yes!

SOX ADDICT '73
01-14-2006, 10:33 AM
Last year was my first SoxFest, so we got to the hotel only an hour before the official start on Saturday. We ended up in the very last row of the roped-off section in the ballroom, which screwed us up for the rest of the morning. We were among the last in line for Paulie, which meant we missed out on Rowand (and Bo Jackson too, as it turned out :(: ). We plan to get there a whole lot earlier this year. For those with tickets on Saturday, how early will some of you be arriving? Also, what are some things you guys do to pass the time while waiting in line to get in, or in line for autographs?

I was thinking about the "sold out" factor and its relation to crowd size. Certainly Friday and Sunday will be a bit tighter, but I believe Saturday has traditionally sold out. So unless a lot of past Saturday ticket-holders were no-shows, it shouldn't be much more crowded than last year, right?:praying:

BainesHOF
01-14-2006, 10:35 AM
I don't think there's any reason to arrive THAT early. The main ballroom holds a lot of people and the action takes place on a stage. The opening ceremonies run all about of 20 minutes. Grant it, they'll be extra cool this year, but why wait so long just to get into the place when you'll be waiting plenty once you get inside?

gr8mexico
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
Me,my wife & my PSP will be there early on Friday. Every year I first go to the Garage sale and send my wife to get some autographs that we might be missing. She is already talking about how much she wants to meet Bobby Jenks:?: . But Saturday should be like any other time because Saturday always sells outand this year we might get alot of new people and they will probally show up late. But the Q&A are the best because you take a break from standing in line and you can get a couple of Autographs.:bandance:

Palehose13
01-14-2006, 11:58 AM
I'm not leaving Milwaukee until 1pm. Who knows when I will be arriving. Maybe I should look into leaving earlier.

chisoxmike
01-14-2006, 12:08 PM
I don't think there needs to be lines outside the hotel starting in the morning. I dont get out of work on Friday until 5. So I wont be at SoxFest until 5:30ish. I think I'll be fine and see what I want to see before 9.:D:

Brian26
01-14-2006, 12:25 PM
I always try to strategically plan my schedule for each day at Soxfest to maximize the experience. I think it's a good idea to go in there with a plan.

Dan Mega
01-14-2006, 12:28 PM
Can you leave and then come back in if you have a ticket? Or is it set up that if you leave thats it, you can't get back in?

The Wall
01-14-2006, 12:55 PM
OT - I dont have tickets to the 'fest. I would have loved to hand deliver all the players and staff of Sox a handwritten, well-prepared thank you note for making the dream come true in 2005.

TornLabrum
01-14-2006, 12:57 PM
Can you leave and then come back in if you have a ticket? Or is it set up that if you leave thats it, you can't get back in?

They usually have wristbands so you can enter and leave at will.

Brian26
01-14-2006, 01:02 PM

Or are those wristbands if you get out of an autograph line to go use the bathroom or get food? I'm trying to recall....I think last year they stamp your hand when you enter the Fest instead of doing a wristband, and then the wristbands are reserved for autograph lines. But I could be wrong...

Either way, I know you can get back in if you have to leave for any reason.

Palehose13
01-14-2006, 01:04 PM

I never had a wristband. They stamped my hand the past few years, but yeah...you can leave and go back. I usually do that when my hands get full. :D: Hal, maybe you had a wristband cause you were special and in a booth. :wink:

Dan Mega
01-14-2006, 01:33 PM

Cool, thank you.

See you all there!

soxwon
01-14-2006, 01:59 PM
If you meet me last year
i made up some nametags for WSI members.

Ill be making up some this year too.
Tell me if your going to be there, ill print up some tags.
just look for the gray haired guy, with a SOXWON tag.
i meet a bunch of ya last year,
namely Hangar, Kittle,and others

i know for sure ill be in the upstairs bar at night
when the players join the fans for drinks.

so who's in?

IggyD
01-14-2006, 02:23 PM
Count me in...I'll be there Friday with my son, spending the night so me and the wifey will be in the Bar that night and Saturday it'll be me and her all day.

I gave Sunday to my Son.

3 tags please
IggyD
Cindy
Daniel

soxwon
01-14-2006, 04:44 PM
Count me in...I'll be there Friday with my son, spending the night so me and the wifey will be in the Bar that night and Saturday it'll be me and her all day.

I gave Sunday to my Son.

3 tags please
IggyD
Cindy
Daniel

your in anyone else?

SOX ADDICT '73
01-15-2006, 12:18 AM
your in anyone else?
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/6/67/180px-Beavis_and_butthead.jpg
"Heh heh. He said urine."

Sorry soxwon, couldn't resist! :redneck

If you wouldn't mind, I'd appreciate nametags for SOX ADDICT '73 and TheRedStapler. We'll be there Saturday. What's the best place to look for you during the day?

For those with tickets on Saturday, how early will some of you be arriving?
I asked this earlier in the thread but didn't get a response, and I'm still curious.

One final question, and then I'll shut up: for those who purchased the three-day pass and are staying at the hotel Friday and Saturday nights, what was the total cost of the package (face value, not the ridiculous eBay prices I've seen)? We're thinking about doing that next year, if we can convince the wives to let us :tongue: .

soxwon
01-15-2006, 11:23 AM
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/6/67/180px-Beavis_and_butthead.jpg
"Heh heh. He said urine."

Sorry soxwon, couldn't resist! :redneck

If you wouldn't mind, I'd appreciate nametags for SOX ADDICT '73 and TheRedStapler. We'll be there Saturday. What's the best place to look for you during the day?

I asked this earlier in the thread but didn't get a response, and I'm still curious.

One final question, and then I'll shut up: for those who purchased the three-day pass and are staying at the hotel Friday and Saturday nights, what was the total cost of the package (face value, not the ridiculous eBay prices I've seen)? We're thinking about doing that next year, if we can convince the wives to let us :tongue: .

Ill be floating around friday and saturday.
when the schedule comes out of players, i can give a better idea of where ill be.
but ill definetly be at the upstairs bar on friday night roughly from 7 on.

krohnjw
01-15-2006, 11:33 AM
for those who purchased the three-day pass and are staying at the hotel Friday and Saturday nights, what was the total cost of the package (face value, not the ridiculous eBay prices I've seen)?

I believe in past years the hotel has come out to around $300-$350 for the weekend: hotel, tickets, parking (not bad with 4 people).

I will be arriving around 11 or so and trying for early checking on friday :D: Won't get the passes until checking, so hopefully they are willing to cooperate (they have let us in early in the past).

salty99
01-15-2006, 12:12 PM
How do you know if you are able to participate in the private autograph session? When do you find out?

krohnjw
01-15-2006, 12:16 PM
I believe they sent the letters out already (saw a few people get notified on this board already). After making it last year it appears we did not this year :(:

ND_Sox_Fan
01-15-2006, 01:04 PM
so who's in?

I will be there - look forward to meeting you.

gr8mexico
01-15-2006, 01:06 PM
How do you know if you are able to participate in the private autograph session? When do you find out? I think is for the 1st people that either purchase soxfest tickets and or the Hotel package.

FedEx227
01-15-2006, 01:10 PM
God damn, this thread makes me so pissed that I couldn't get tickets. I guess you snooze you lose when dealing with the World Champs :(

bafiarocks03
01-15-2006, 03:06 PM
Haha Just look for Blondie (me) in a Harris jersey!! Lol!

Bobbo35
01-15-2006, 07:59 PM
I'm not leaving Milwaukee until 1pm. Who knows when I will be arriving. Maybe I should look into leaving earlier.

You should still be fine to get there in plenty of time.

Bobbo35
01-15-2006, 08:01 PM
If you meet me last year
i made up some nametags for WSI members.

Ill be making up some this year too.
Tell me if your going to be there, ill print up some tags.
just look for the gray haired guy, with a SOXWON tag.
i meet a bunch of ya last year,
namely Hangar, Kittle,and others

i know for sure ill be in the upstairs bar at night
when the players join the fans for drinks.

so who's in?

I am in print up bobbo35, thanks.

ChiSoxGirl
01-15-2006, 10:57 PM
Print one for ChiSoxGirl, please. :smile: I'll be with at least two other people who aren't on WSI, so I won't make them wear nametags.

TornLabrum
01-15-2006, 11:41 PM
I won't need one printed, but I'll be there if I don't catch the cold my (substitute) barber had yesterday. I'll be wearing my WCSF nametag.

Brian26
01-15-2006, 11:43 PM
I won't need one printed, but I'll be there if I don't catch the cold my (substitute) barber had yesterday. I'll be wearing my WCSF nametag.

Hal- Any idea where your booth will be on the floor this year? Are you near the escalator or more towards the back?

TornLabrum
01-16-2006, 12:03 AM
Hal- Any idea where your booth will be on the floor this year? Are you near the escalator or more towards the back?

As of this past Wednesday we hadn't gotten a map of the exhibition area yet. We should be getting it by early next week.

MUsoxfan
01-16-2006, 01:21 AM
I'll be there with McFish and a couple other guys. I've never been, but I think I'm really gonna enjoy it. I'm not big on autographs, so from the way it sounds I'll have plenty of time to enjoy the other things Soxfest offers

Mickster
01-16-2006, 07:58 AM
As of this past Wednesday we hadn't gotten a map of the exhibition area yet. We should be getting it by early next week.

Hal, when you do finally get the map, would you be so kind as to let us know if vendors such as Triple Threat Sports will be there? Last year, if you recall, they skipped Soxfest to attend their national merchandising show. I was a bit bummed. :(:

TornLabrum
01-16-2006, 08:55 AM
Hal, when you do finally get the map, would you be so kind as to let us know if vendors such as Triple Threat Sports will be there? Last year, if you recall, they skipped Soxfest to attend their national merchandising show. I was a bit bummed. :(:
Well, we (WCSF) actually have an arrangement with Grandstand (10% discount on most merchandise to WCSF members - Post-season stuff wasn't included in October/November, though), so I don't think I'll be mentioning TTS. I do know Grandstand is going to be there. One of our board members had an extra room that they gave over to Pete and Rose when the persons who registered found they couldn't make it.

Iwritecode
01-16-2006, 10:56 AM
This can't be an *official* planning thread until the schedule comes out. After that I can probably figure out where I'll be at just about any point in time during the weekend.