PDA

View Full Version : American League Opponent Key?

Viva Medias B's
01-14-2006, 09:04 AM
Whenever the Cubs schedule ad appears in the newspaper, the schedule portion always includes an "American League Opponent Key." Does Cubs brass believe that their fans are so uninformed about baseball that they need a key explaining who CWS, DET, CLE, and MIN are? On our schedules and ads, we have never had a "National League Opponent Key." I think our brass knows that we are smart enough to know who CUBS, CIN, STL, HOU, and PIT are.

I want Mags back
01-14-2006, 10:32 AM
I also dont like the fact that we put Cubs on our schedule, as opposed to CHC, while the cubs put us as CWS, instead of SOX like we should be

Ol' No. 2
01-14-2006, 11:01 AM
Whenever the Cubs schedule ad appears in the newspaper, the schedule portion always includes an "American League Opponent Key." Does Cubs brass believe that their fans are so uninformed about baseball that they need a key explaining who CWS, DET, CLE, and MIN are? On our schedules and ads, we have never had a "National League Opponent Key." I think our brass knows that we are smart enough to know who CUBS, CIN, STL, HOU, and PIT are.Yes. They've successfully marketed a horse**** team for years. They know their target market.

TornLabrum
01-14-2006, 11:06 AM
Yes. They've successfully marketed a horse**** team for years. They know their target market.

You really have to hand it to the Cubs. They called Bill Veeck "Barnumesque." Well, he's got nothing on the Tribune Co. They obviously subscribe to Barnum's philosophy that "There's a sucker born every minute."

SOX ADDICT '73
01-14-2006, 11:17 AM
Does Cubs brass believe that their fans are so uninformed about baseball that they need a key explaining who CWS, DET, CLE, and MIN are?
I guarantee you there are Cubs "fans" that couldn't tell you who STL, HOU, MIL, CIN, or PIT are.

AnkleSox
01-14-2006, 11:39 AM
I also dont like the fact that we put Cubs on our schedule, as opposed to CHC, while the cubs put us as CWS, instead of SOX like we should be

I kind of like the fact that they don't acknowledge the cubs as a Chicago team.

Fenway
01-14-2006, 11:42 AM
I guarantee you there are Cubs "fans" that couldn't tell you who STL, HOU, MIL, CIN, or PIT are.

I guarantee there are Cubs fans that dont know how many balls = a walk

getonbckthr
01-14-2006, 03:45 PM
Whenever the Cubs schedule ad appears in the newspaper, the schedule portion always includes an "American League Opponent Key." Does Cubs brass believe that their fans are so uninformed about baseball that they need a key explaining who CWS, DET, CLE, and MIN are? On our schedules and ads, we have never had a "National League Opponent Key." I think our brass knows that we are smart enough to know who CUBS, CIN, STL, HOU, and PIT are.
This almost sounds like a Flub complaint for the sake of a complaint. I know a lot of people who are fans of teams and only follow their league whether its the AL,NL,AFC or NFC. They probably do it as a courtesy thing.

chisoxfan64
01-14-2006, 04:13 PM
This almost sounds like a Flub complaint for the sake of a complaint. I know a lot of people who are fans of teams and only follow their league whether its the AL,NL,AFC or NFC. They probably do it as a courtesy thing.

What`s AL,NL,AFC,NFC ?:cool:

miker
01-16-2006, 12:41 PM
Shoot, many of them couldn't tell you who their own players are...

Cub fans...thank God I'm not one. Go Sox!

Iwritecode
01-16-2006, 12:55 PM
I guarantee there are Cubs fans that dont know how many balls = a walk

You just know somebody is going to start a thread like this now...

Chicken Dinner
01-16-2006, 12:59 PM

I kind of like us being CWS.

Baby Fisk
01-16-2006, 01:03 PM
http://www.rachelleb.com/images/2004_06_02/dallas_cup.jpg
"Holy ****! They play some kind of sports here too! Dude, check out that babe who just stood up again. No, not her, the one who keeps standing up. The one with the cellphone. Yeahhh!"

miker
01-16-2006, 01:09 PM
http://www.rachelleb.com/images/2004_06_02/dallas_cup.jpg
Is that a tap pictured on the cup or is it some kind of bong?

DumpJerry
01-16-2006, 01:22 PM
We say "Cubs" on ours because "Scrubs" is too many letters.

ThatGuyOnTheL
01-16-2006, 01:54 PM

PIT = $5 domestic pitcher night at Murphy's Bleachers.

russ99
01-16-2006, 03:18 PM
I kind of like us being CWS.

Yeah, as in "Chicago World Series" :smile: