PDA

View Full Version : Squire's annual bitch thread

mike squires
01-13-2006, 07:48 PM
This is my annual complaint thread about the Sox not doing all they can do to make improvements and add to the fan base. Today the Cardinals rolled through town for their annual caravan. No big name players were present, however John Rooney was. There is no reason folks like Bobby Jenks, Neil Cotts and a few young guys to come through, talk about the championship season and what we have to look forward to, smile and sign some autographs. OK, I'm done.

longshot7
01-13-2006, 07:52 PM
ha!

TornLabrum
01-13-2006, 08:02 PM
This is my annual complaint thread about the Sox not doing all they can do to make improvements and add to the fan base. Today the Cardinals rolled through town for their annual caravan. No big name players were present, however John Rooney was. There is no reason folks like Bobby Jenks, Neil Cotts and a few young guys to come through, talk about the championship season and what we have to look forward to, smile and sign some autographs. OK, I'm done.

The Sox did that until they started SoxFest. I took my son to one of their caravans in Morris, IL when he was about 6 years old. IIRC John Cangelosi, Pudge, and Minnie were there along with Frank Messer.

sox84
01-13-2006, 08:13 PM
I hear ya.. I have thought for years they should be getting out into Central Illinois, but I think they just concede the area to the Cardinals and the Cubs. You're absolutely right.:mad:

WSox8404
01-13-2006, 08:34 PM

To be honest with you, I doubt we are going to have any problems with a fan base for a few years to come now. The hype surrounding the Sox now seems to be higher then I could have imagined.

Palehose13
01-13-2006, 08:38 PM
I believe that the teams in this state do the same thing. I'm sorry, but IMHO, a caravan is kinda bush league. SoxFest is huge, classy,and gets everything in one place. There is plenty of time to make plans to go and IMO isn't very expensive. A certain someone will be missing football practice in a couple weeks in order to be at the Hyatt. :wink:

ewokpelts
01-13-2006, 09:51 PM
I believe that the teams in this state do the same thing. I'm sorry, but IMHO, a caravan is kinda bush league. SoxFest is huge, classy,and gets everything in one place. There is plenty of time to make plans to go and IMO isn't very expensive. A certain someone will be missing football practice in a couple weeks in order to be at the Hyatt. :wink:it may be bush league, but the cubs still do it the week of thier convention......and they hit places where they'll get maximum exposure...hospitals, schools, the VA, ect......

i know we just won the world series, but why cant we do this?
Gene

Palehose13
01-13-2006, 09:54 PM
i know we just won the world series, but why cant we do this?
Gene

You answered your own question.

it may be bush league, but the cubs still do it

:D:

ewokpelts
01-13-2006, 10:09 PM
You answered your own question.

:D:touche.....

I still think it's a good idea, especially now that soxfest is completely sold out.

Gene

CanBuehrleWait
01-13-2006, 10:10 PM
There is plenty of time to make plans to go and IMO isn't very expensive.

I agree it is classy. I disagree that it is bush to do a caravan. What if I'm a kid who is a Sox fan in Carbondale I couldn't make it to Chicago. It'd at least be easier to catch them in Champaign or Springfield then try to make it to downtown Chicago. Today's kid could be tommorrows millionaire Sox sponsor. Thing is if Soxfest is going to sell out like this in the future it would be nice to have something like a caravan to continue to grow the fan base. A good point was made that it wouldn't have to be Buehrle or Ozzie on it. Cotts or Jenks would be fine. Oh well, I guess they'll just have to move it to McCormick place after the 3 peat.

Brian26
01-13-2006, 10:11 PM
The Sox did that until they started SoxFest. I took my son to one of their caravans in Morris, IL when he was about 6 years old. IIRC John Cangelosi, Pudge, and Minnie were there along with Frank Messer.

I went to one as recently as January of 1991 at the Fox Valley Mall in Aurora. Alex Fernandez, Jack McDowell, Minnie Minoso and Bobby Thigpen were all there signing. It was a good time. That may have been the last year they did that...

Palehose13
01-13-2006, 10:15 PM
I agree it is classy. I disagree that it is bush to do a caravan. What if I'm a kid who is a Sox fan in Carbondale I couldn't make it to Chicago. It'd at least be easier to catch them in Champaign or Springfield then try to make it to downtown Chicago. Today's kid could be tommorrows millionaire Sox sponsor. Thing is if Soxfest is going to sell out like this in the future it would be nice to have something like a caravan to continue to grow the fan base. A good point was made that it wouldn't have to be Buehrle or Ozzie on it. Cotts or Jenks would be fine. Oh well, I guess they'll just have to move it to McCormick place after the 3 peat.

I agree that if it continues to sell, or should I say cell...out that they should think about doing the caravan again. However, SoxFest didn't sell out in the past (at least not the while weekend) and I'm sure that the thought was that a caravan may take more people away from SoxFest and hurt the attendance there.

chisoxfanatic
01-13-2006, 10:20 PM
The best idea, IMHO, if they were to do the caravan thing would be to plan it AFTER SoxFest is beyond a shadow of a doubt gonna sell out.

Brian26
01-13-2006, 10:23 PM
The best idea, IMHO, if they were to do the caravan thing would be to plan it AFTER SoxFest is beyond a shadow of a doubt gonna sell out.

Let's keep the players happy though. If I'm PK, I want to spend January and February in Arizona with my family in the nice weather and not driving around all over Illinois stopping at shopping malls and high schools to sign autographs. I think the idea of Soxfest over the course of one weekend is a convenience for players more than anything else.

skottyj242
01-14-2006, 01:16 AM

Hey Mike it's 12:15 in the morning and I'm half in the bag but I'll ask this anyway, did they all have big holes in their ears?

Nellie_Fox
01-14-2006, 01:25 AM
Squire's annual bitch threadHere comes another Kittle42 beatdown!:o:

mike squires
01-14-2006, 01:56 AM
Here comes another Kittle42 beatdown!:o:

Fixed, I think.

Seriously though, I probably have a punctuation error or mispelled word in most of my posts. I'm not ashamed to admit it. Or maybe I should be...:smile: