PDA

View Full Version : Bring Back Frank

DoItForDanPasqua
01-13-2006, 11:48 AM
Now that it has become apparent that no team is interested in giving Frank Thomas a contract, it's time for KW to step in. If he doesn't want him as a back-up for Konerko and Thome, then he should offer him a coaching position. Perhaps they could send Tim Raines to third and send the depth perception impared Joey Cora packing. I know that a bridge has been burned with Frank; this is the way to repair it and keep him in a White Sox uniform. I think Frank would jump at the chance to retire with dignity and the Sox owe it to him.

russ99
01-13-2006, 11:54 AM
Now that it has become apparent that no team is interested in giving Frank Thomas a contract, it's time for KW to step in. If he doesn't want him as a back-up for Konerko and Thome, then he should offer him a coaching position. Perhaps they could send Tim Raines to third and send the depth perception impared Joey Cora packing. I know that a bridge has been burned with Frank; this is the way to repair it and keep him in a White Sox uniform. I think Frank would jump at the chance to retire with dignity and the Sox owe it to him.

Agreed, once Frank's retirement is definite, I'd love to see Frank as a coach, or at least somehow part of the organization.

However, Raines is the first base coach for a reason. A big reason. Something about his 808 career steals.

ondafarm
01-13-2006, 11:55 AM

Okay, the word is "burnt".

SoxyStu
01-13-2006, 11:56 AM
I don't think they can sign him as a player until May?

eriqjaffe
01-13-2006, 12:00 PM
I don't think they can sign him as a player until May?Correct, since he was non-tendered.

getonbckthr
01-13-2006, 12:01 PM
Stop!!!!!! Everyone gets upset at the trade rumor posts, but we should start to get annoyed with the bring Frank back threads. You traded Aaron and prospects for a reason. You gave Paulie a huge contract for a reason. Tell me what will Frank do for this team? Can he play a gold glove CF? No. How about match or do better than Joe crede? No. Can he pitch in relief? No. So basically you will bring him back for 1 reason sit on the bench. His goal now is to hit Hr's. He got his ring now he wants 500. Let him go to Oakland or Minnesota or where ever he will get his chance for 500, cause it won't be here. Bringing him back to sit on the bench is a waste of a roster spot.

rdwj
01-13-2006, 12:04 PM
Perhaps they could send Tim Raines to third and send the depth perception impared Joey Cora packing.

Not a snowball's chance in hell. First of all, Cora did a very nice job on 3rd. Yes, he was aggressive, but he rarely got caught. There were only a few poor choices all year.

If anything, Frank could be a bench coach, but I don't see that happening either.

If nobody picks him up by May - I wouldn't mind seeing him as a back up. I doubt he'll ever coach - for us or anyone.

santo=dorf
01-13-2006, 12:06 PM
:rolleyes:

Time to move on and let go. He got his ring, and he is still capable of playing baseball (although not at level he previously played at.)

DoItForDanPasqua
01-13-2006, 12:06 PM
Stop!!!!!! Everyone gets upset at the trade rumor posts, but we should start to get annoyed with the bring Frank back threads. You traded Aaron and prospects for a reason. You gave Paulie a huge contract for a reason. Tell me what will Frank do for this team? Can he play a gold glove CF? No. How about match or do better than Joe crede? No. Can he pitch in relief? No. So basically you will bring him back for 1 reason sit on the bench. His goal now is to hit Hr's. He got his ring now he wants 500. Let him go to Oakland or Minnesota or where ever he will get his chance for 500, cause it won't be here. Bringing him back to sit on the bench is a waste of a roster spot.

That's why they should offer to make him a coach or give him a front office job such as Vice President in Charge of Paperclips.

gf2020
01-13-2006, 12:09 PM
Now that it has become apparent that no team is interested in giving Frank Thomas a contract, it's time for KW to step in.
It's my understanding that Frank is going to sign with the Athletics by month's end when he can potentially receive medical clearence: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/01/06/SPGF7GIFJ11.DTL

santo=dorf
01-13-2006, 12:10 PM
That's why they should offer to make him a coach or give him a front office job such as Vice President in Charge of Paperclips.
Yeah who cares if Frank still wants to play to increase his HOF credentials? After all, it's not like it's his choice.

:rolleyes:

Chicken Dinner
01-13-2006, 12:13 PM
Frank's White Sox carreer is over. He won't coach (doesn't pay enough) and he could make more money signing autographs and selling them on E-bay. Let the man go.

IggyD
01-13-2006, 12:14 PM
Okay, the word is "burnt".
The Spelling Police are everywhere http://bestanimations.com/Careers/Law/Police/Police-03-june.gif

veeter
01-13-2006, 12:23 PM
Okay, the word is "burnt". Actually, either one is acceptable.

Hangar18
01-13-2006, 12:28 PM
The Spelling Police are everywhere http://bestanimations.com/Careers/Law/Police/Police-03-june.gif

BOL (Burst out laughing)
I get the gist of what the new guy is saying, I hope someday Big Frank is involved again with the SOX organization

AZChiSoxFan
01-13-2006, 12:40 PM
I'm listening to MLB Home Plate on XM radio right now. They have a bay area sportswriter on and she says that she still thinks Oakland will eventually sign the Big Hurt. She said he still hasn't been medically cleared to play and that's why nobody has signed him yet.

ondafarm
01-13-2006, 12:41 PM
Actually, either one is acceptable.

Only if you approve of the over-regularization of the English langauge.

You probably think that the past tense of plead is pleaded.

Fake Chet Lemon
01-13-2006, 12:45 PM
Suggestions to make Frank a coach this year are beyond bizarre.

1) Frank doesn't want to be a coach.
2) Ozzie doesn't really like him (this is really #1)
3) Frank isn't a start from the ground up kind of guy.
4) Off the record, ex-teammates of Frank will tell you he was a tool in the clubhouse. Therefore not coaching material.

I still think the world of Frank and wish he was on the team as a productive player. But he ain't coming aboard to throw batting practice for $40,000. Let's all get a grip and let that reality prevail.

gobears1987
01-13-2006, 01:11 PM
Frank can be a hitting coach. Or even a bench coach. Didn't Baines want out?

hawkjt
01-13-2006, 01:12 PM
I will say that chet is wrong and frank was liked in clubhouse.

I am glad we only play the A's 6 games this season so we do not have to see him in that uni against the sox more than that.

Chet - ozzie is fine with frank.

Chicken Dinner
01-13-2006, 01:22 PM
Frank can be a hitting coach. Or even a bench coach. Didn't Baines want out?

Why would Baines want out?? He doesn't do or say anything.

AZChiSoxFan
01-13-2006, 01:35 PM

Well, I pleaded with people not to even start this thread, so don't blame me.

IronFisk
01-13-2006, 01:46 PM
Frank won't coach - still has value. If not the Athletics, then some medicore team would find a spot for an HOF bat, and hope for some sort of rebound aka Griffey last year. If he could go a full season, no reason he wouldn't be able to slug upwards of 30 hrs and 80 rbis, with a truckload of passes thrown in. Yeah, maybe he'll only bat mid-200's, but that's a great addition for several teams.

Palehose13
01-13-2006, 02:20 PM

4) Off the record, ex-teammates of Frank will tell you he was a tool in the clubhouse. Therefore not coaching material.

I still think the world of Frank and wish he was on the team as a productive player. But he ain't coming aboard to throw batting practice for $40,000. Let's all get a grip and let that reality prevail.

Where do you get this stuff? Especially numbers 2 and 4? I have heard the exact opposite of #4. I agree with your last two sentences, but I don't know where you got the rest of it.

Hangar18
01-13-2006, 02:29 PM

LIES.

TomBradley72
01-13-2006, 02:38 PM
Frank as a coach? No way....that's not who he is....he's not a teacher/mentor kind of guy...never was as a teammate. Someone will sign him for 2006 in the American League and if he stays healthy he'll be able to show if he has anyhthing left.

The White Sox don't owe Frank anything....they paid him well....he hit well (when healthy)....they did everything they could to honor him throughout 2005 all the way to the parade. They'll honor him again after he retires...by retiring #35.

mdep524
01-13-2006, 02:55 PM
This thread has all sorts of crazy claims going on. First of all, Big Frank will never, ever be a first base coach. Plus, Joey Cora isn't the greatest third base coach in the world (despite the fact he gets a free pass at WSI because the Sox won the WS), but there is no chance he gets moved. So forget that whole scenario.

Could Frank be a bench coach? Maybe, but I doubt it. I don't really see him as a full time hitting coach either. I think the most likely scenario is for him to be a spring training instructor- stay with the club in Tuscon for a month or two and pitch in, then go back to Vegas to his private life for the rest of the year.

Of course that is all after he retires, which he isn't doing now. If no team signs him before May 1, the Sox would definitely have interest. getonbckthr, Thome and Konerko are nice, but it'd sure be nice to have a proven right-handed bat like Frank to back up Thome a.) against some lefties and b.) as injury insurance if Thome needs a few days of for his back, which is a real possibility.

Frank can't play a whole starting role by himself, but Thome's no lock to either. He could end up being like Mike Sweeney- great hitter, needs periodic breaks to stay healthy and produce at a high level. Frank is in a unique position (no "full time" interest, in line for a short-term, small contract) to play that role. Automatically writing him off if he's still available just because we have Thome and Konerko would be foolish.

veeter
01-13-2006, 02:55 PM

You probably think that the past tense of plead is pleaded. Let's get one thing straight, tough guy; don't tell me what I probably think.

Settembrini
01-13-2006, 04:20 PM

According to my usage dictionary (Merriam-Webster), both are acceptable, although burned is generally commoner in American English, and burnt commoner in British English. In America, burnt is more common for transitive uses and burned for intransitive uses.

Pled, plead, and pleaded are all acceptable past tenses of plead. Pleaded is more popular in Britain, and is actually the original past tense of plead.

eriqjaffe
01-13-2006, 04:25 PM
According to my usage dictionary (Merriam-Webster), both are acceptable, although burned is generally commoner in American English, and burnt commoner in British English. In America, burnt is more common for transitive uses and burned for intransitive uses.

Pled, plead, and pleaded are all acceptable past tenses of plead. Pleaded is more popular in Britain, and is actually the original past tense of plead.Please, we haven't burnt commoners since the 1600s!

Domeshot17
01-13-2006, 06:46 PM
Its cool Guys. Kenny Williams will simply tell bud selig he will be having a 30 man roster and bat 12 in the lineup. Then Rowand and Thomas will come back and people can just shut up about it already

Palehose13
01-13-2006, 08:50 PM

Pled, plead, and pleaded are all acceptable past tenses of plead. Pleaded is more popular in Britain, and is actually the original past tense of plead.

Should you be using commoner or more common? I thought a commoner was a "common citizen" :D:

Red Barchetta
01-13-2006, 10:39 PM
Frank as a coach? No way....that's not who he is....he's not a teacher/mentor kind of guy...never was as a teammate. Someone will sign him for 2006 in the American League and if he stays healthy he'll be able to show if he has anyhthing left.

The White Sox don't owe Frank anything....they paid him well....he hit well (when healthy)....they did everything they could to honor him throughout 2005 all the way to the parade. They'll honor him again after he retires...by retiring #35.

I agree. I like Frank and I will miss Frank in 2006, however the organization has earned the right to move on. It's too bad the seriousness of Frank's injuries over the past four seasons have cost him so many at bats and playing time. IMO he already has HOF numbers, however if he never got hurt and produced even 80% of his prime years, his overall statistics would make him a virtual lock for the HOF. I hope he signs with Oakland and finishes out his career on a high note.

I just hope the SOX don't wait too long after he retires to honor him. The statue should be in the works now....

HotelWhiteSox
01-13-2006, 11:08 PM
Not a snowball's chance in hell. First of all, Cora did a very nice job on 3rd. Yes, he was aggressive, but he rarely got caught. There were only a few poor choices all year.

:o:

1951Campbell
01-13-2006, 11:14 PM

As a simple country lawyer, I can tell you that my firm has had clients who have pled guilty, and that a Notice to Plead is essential to Pennsylvania civil practice. You are correct--if I practiced in Carlisle, UK instead of Carlisle, PA, I'm sure I'd hear pleaded more.

That being said, I eagerly await Opening Day so the grammatical pissing matches will recede into the background.

But...until then...hung or hanged?

1951Campbell
01-13-2006, 11:16 PM
I agree. I like Frank and I will miss Frank in 2006, however the organization has earned the right to move on. It's too bad the seriousness of Frank's injuries over the past four seasons have cost him so many at bats and playing time. IMO he already has HOF numbers, however if he never got hurt and produced even 80% of his prime years, his overall statistics would make him a virtual lock for the HOF. I hope he signs with Oakland and finishes out his career on a high note.

I just hope the SOX don't wait too long after he retires to honor him. The statue should be in the works now....

Agreed.

He's our Joe Montana. He will be seen as a great in the sport, and no one will remember the team he played for as a coda. I mean, unless I really, really think about it, I don't remember Montana with the Chiefs.

kevin57
01-14-2006, 08:23 AM
I can understand people wanting to see Frank back with the organization in some capacity, but there are a lot of "ifs" in the meantime:

1) If Frank's foot takes him out of batting...

2) If Frank can reconcile himself to not playing consistently, getting to 500 HR's, etc...

3) If he has the skills/personality to be a coach and at what position (bench, 3rd base (fat chance, Ozzie LOVES Joey))...

4) If Frank would rather be involved in baseball in a front office job making peanuts compared to the autograph, speaking circuit...

These "ifs" are a long obstacle course to getting him back.

depy48
01-14-2006, 08:40 AM
getonbckthr: Can he pitch in relief? No.
Uhmmm.... wrong there!! Frank has a great knuckleball. If I remember correctly, in an interview with Boers and Bernstein, Frank said he would pitch if Ozzie put him on the mound. A killer knuckleball and a devastating bat? We should be offering Frank 5 years 55 million. In all seriousness, we all like him back in a limited DHing role, but Frank is going to go where he will get the most AB's.

TomBradley72
01-14-2006, 09:51 AM
Agreed.

He's our Joe Montana. He will be seen as a great in the sport, and no one will remember the team he played for as a coda. I mean, unless I really, really think about it, I don't remember Montana with the Chiefs.

Nice use of the word "coda". :cool:

Red Barchetta
01-14-2006, 04:43 PM
How old is Frank - 37ish?! If so, I doubt he has more than 2, possibly 3 years left if healthy. After that, I would love to see Frank work in some capacity for the Sox. I can't think of a better instructional hitting coach I would rather have in my organization.

DoItForDanPasqua
01-14-2006, 06:46 PM
I just hope that there is no bad blood between Frank and the White Sox. I would hate to see this go the way of Carlton Fisk. At least there is no doubt about which cap Frank will wear on his hall of fame plaque.

getonbckthr
01-14-2006, 07:05 PM
At least there is no doubt about which cap Frank will wear on his hall of fame plaque.
Tampa Bay Devil Rays? Hey they almost got Boggs!

DaleJRFan
01-15-2006, 01:12 AM
BOL (Burst out laughing)
I get the gist of what the new guy is saying, I hope someday Big Frank is involved again with the SOX organization

BOL is also "Burp Out Loud"

DaleJRFan
01-15-2006, 01:14 AM
:D: Frank has a great knuckleball.

Isn't that what he throws across the diamond for the 3-6-4 double play??? What an arm he's got!!!

DoItForDanPasqua
01-15-2006, 11:26 AM
Tampa Bay Devil Rays? Hey they almost got Boggs!

I thought that he wanted to wear a KFC hat on his plaque.

WSDaytonOH
01-15-2006, 12:47 PM
As a long time Big Hurt fan, I will miss him. I'm glad he fought back last year from his ankle injury to play big in some games. What I won't miss is his crying about not being treated fairly. A couples of years ago, he wanted out. Then last season he talked about "...people told me to get out to get a ring. Well, I stayed and got my ring." I wish him well. I think he truely felt it at the parade when he got choked up. A's are in town Monday through Wednesday, May 22nd - 24th.