PDA

View Full Version : Question about Soxfest and those who have gone

WCCMIKE
01-13-2006, 12:05 PM
Well i'm going to my first sox fest event this month and had a few questions.How many hours is it about to wait in line.The reason i'm asking i read somewhere a few hours wait so my question is if each line is a few hours at the end of the day are you only left with maybe 3 players autographs if even.:?:

Rocky Soprano
01-13-2006, 12:26 PM
Well i'm going to my first sox fest event this month and had a few questions.How many hours is it about to wait in line.The reason i'm asking i read somewhere a few hours wait so my question is if each line is a few hours at the end of the day are you only left with maybe 3 players autographs if even.:?:

Thats right. Plan on waiting at least two to three hours in line for the "big name" players.

So you might only end up with 2 autographs in one day.

Make sure you get up EARLY, so you don't have to wait too long in the first line.

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-13-2006, 12:37 PM

If you are going by yourself, then you will probably only get 2 or 3. It helps when you have someone else with you because then you can split up. Wait in the line of the player you want the most or you might not get him.

krohnjw
01-13-2006, 12:37 PM
Lines are long for big name players, but you can time it right and make all 3 autograph sessions ;) Prepare to wait though if you want the autographs.

However, the sessions and Q&A are really great, so don't get caught up in the autographs. We did more autographs the last 2 years, but plan on skipping most of those this year to see the sessions and stay out of the lines a bit more.

It really is a lot of fun, but if you are going for autographs, then be prepared for a lot of downtime sitting on a hard floor.

The Dude
01-13-2006, 12:49 PM

I did the autographs in my first year and they are overrated if you consider all the time you waste. I'd stick to the lower key autographs with the past players/announcers which have much shorter lines. I got Moose, Hawk, Melton, Minnie, and Carlos May all in a shorter time than Joe Crede and Ben Davis!

Palehose13
01-13-2006, 12:51 PM
I agree with krohnjw. I wouldn't even waste my time with autographs. For the last two Fests, I never stood in an autograph line and I always got at least 5 autographs/weekend. However, that is limited by who you run in to. I wasn't able to get Podsednik last year, but I got Harold Baines the year before. :cool: There is so much to do at the fest, I don't even think about standing in an autograph line.

Seriously, usually the guys sign after the Q&A sessions and after their clincs. If you sit through those, you get some good information, get a little glimpse at the player's personality, and don't have to wait too long for an autograph afterward. Of course, if there is a certain guy that you must absolutely must have, I guess you could stand in line.

Last year I got Crede, Raines, Rowand, Everett, Minoso, Ozzie, and Kenny Williams without standing in line.

mike squires
01-13-2006, 12:52 PM
the wait are a pain in the ass. But if you plan well, you can get a lot more than three in a day...

1) Q an A sessions are a great way to get autographs. I've gotten Hawk, Ray Durham, DJ, Baines, Kittle, Dotson and was so close to getting Frank's.

2) Most of the sessions have 2 to 3 guys signing so you could get anwwhere between 6 to 9 guys in a day just doing the autogrpah lines.

3)In between sessions you can find player doing instructional stuff and can often get it afterwards. I also got Billy Koch after doing a radio interview.

4)Get there at the very beginning and wait by the front doors or up by the check in by the elevators. This may be a bit pushy but most guys are willing to sign. I've seen Manuel sign and have presonally got Farmer and Kittle this way. Sandy Alomar and Carlos May are the only ones I've seen that asked to check in first.

5)Go to the party on Saturday night. This is the biggy where you can score a lot of autographs. I've gotten Kittle, Baines, Hawk, Schnieder, Borchard, could have gotten Rolen Hemond and Rowand.

Have fun. I have found just doing the autograph thing can be tiresome and can burn you out. I would definately check out the garage sell and get there early for the Q and A.

Map out your plans ahead of time so you are well prepared and now what's going on.

bafiarocks03
01-13-2006, 01:19 PM
Yeah, like last year i went 1st straight to Juan and Willie, and was like one of the 1st 20 in line! got through it pretty quickly! oh man...good times! Willie's line was always usually one of the shortest! yay for me..i actually wanted to get back in line and go again! lol!

Palehose13
01-13-2006, 01:45 PM
Willie's line was always usually one of the shortest!

What a surprise. :cool:

Love ya', bafiarocks. :D:

C-Dawg
01-13-2006, 02:02 PM
I don't collect autographs, so I spend all my time at the Q&A, clinics, garage sale, and the downstairs dealer thing. Even then, there is a big line to get in when the Fest opens - other than that, not too much waiting.

Anyway, this is going to be the best Soxfest ever! :D:

bafiarocks03
01-13-2006, 02:24 PM

I agree 800%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a question...Where are the players usually seen around the hotel after all the events that day are over? Where's the best place to see them if your staying at the hotel?

Rocky Soprano
01-13-2006, 02:26 PM
I agree 800%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a question...Where are the players usually seen around the hotel after all the events that day are over? Where's the best place to see them if your staying at the hotel?

You are too young my friend, but the best place is the Atrium bar.

ChiSoxGirl
01-13-2006, 02:28 PM
Where are the players usually seen around the hotel after all the events that day are over? Where's the best place to see them if your staying at the hotel?

I've always had good luck finding players by hanging out in the lobby (where that restaurant and the little pond used to be). I always see a ton of kids hanging out there. However, according to a girl I work with, they've since gotten rid of that restaurant, revamped that whole area, and put a dance club in! So, I don't know how easy it'll be to just hang out in the lobby anymore.

Iwritecode
01-13-2006, 02:50 PM

There are a few restuarant/bars in the hotel where players have been seen. Hang around the entrance to the big bar (they will kick you out if you are under 21) and you might catch a few guys entering. If all else fails, hang out by the mens bathroom. Hangar18 seems to have all kinds of luck meeting players there... :cool:

Last year while we where waiting for valet to bring the car around on Sunday, my wife and I stood right next to Ozzie Jr near the main entrance. It was cool chatting with him for a minute...

Palehose13
01-13-2006, 03:16 PM
Last year while we where waiting for valet to bring the car around on Sunday, my wife and I stood right next to Ozzie Jr near the main entrance. It was cool chatting with him for a minute...

I'm surprised he only chatted for a minute. :D:

soxfan43
01-13-2006, 03:18 PM
I don't collect autographs, so I spend all my time at the Q&A, clinics, garage sale, and the downstairs dealer thing. Even then, there is a big line to get in when the Fest opens - other than that, not too much waiting.

I love your sig. I used to have that button to, but I have no idea where it would be now. good stuff

Uncle_Patrick
01-13-2006, 03:26 PM

I'm with you. The first year I went I waited for autographs, but I realized you miss out on a lot of stuff. I prefer the Q&A's and the downstairs memoribilia stands.

skottyj242
01-13-2006, 03:47 PM
I've always had good luck finding players by hanging out in the lobby (where that restaurant and the little pond used to be). I always see a ton of kids hanging out there. However, according to a girl I work with, they've since gotten rid of that restaurant, revamped that whole area, and put a dance club in! So, I don't know how easy it'll be to just hang out in the lobby anymore.

So is this your strange way of asking me to dance?

Palehose13
01-13-2006, 03:48 PM

Actually, she was asking me. :cool:

ChiSoxGirl
01-13-2006, 03:53 PM

:roflmao: Not quite....

Iwritecode
01-13-2006, 04:43 PM
I'm surprised he only chatted for a minute. :D:

He was on his cell phone the other 10 minutes we were standing there. :D:

Fake Chet Lemon
01-13-2006, 04:54 PM
Skip the autographs. You learn NOTHING about your team.

The Q&A are loaded with great info, I'm always shocked that so much of the Q&A info doesn't make the media. For example, Kenny about told us last year that he was really close with Iguchi. So if you went to SoxFest you knew Iguchi was about a done deal. Some of Kenny's comments on Jerry Manual were REALLY interesting, and again they went unreported. And getting the opportunity to ask Kenny, Ozzie and Brooks a question and get good honest answers is priceless IMO.

mike squires
01-13-2006, 05:01 PM
Actually, she was asking me. :cool:

You are both wrong.:cool: :cool:

mike squires
01-13-2006, 05:04 PM
I must say though, by doing the autographs..sure made my Sox room and shelves look nice! Now that I'm 32 now and got most that I'll ever want....I would stick to the sessions. A.J would be a nice one, oh and a Crede ball!!!

WCCMIKE
01-13-2006, 06:57 PM
Will Kenny be at Sox fest i would like to shake his hand for bringing Chicago it's first world series in 88 years:smile:

Palehose13
01-13-2006, 07:19 PM
Will Kenny be at Sox fest i would like to shake his hand for bringing Chicago it's first world series in 88 years:smile:

Absolutely.

TornLabrum
01-13-2006, 08:10 PM
Also be sure to bring plenty of money to SoxFest and hit the Windy City Sox Fans booth for the "World Famous Pencil Pull." A buck a pencil and every one wins a prize, even if it's a 20-year-old Billy Pierce pin (although I think we're finally out of those). We have fun just watching the kids begging mom and dad for more money so they can pull just one more.

It's more fun watching the adults who somehow end up being just as addicted as the kids. I guess it's the next best thing to Vegas. (Oh, and all the profits go to Chicago Baseball Cancer Charities and are earmarked for Children's Memorial Hospital.

In addition if you join the club, you are eligible to win a fabulous prize (usually some kind of team jacket) that is usually drawn by a member of the Sox.

gr8mexico
01-13-2006, 08:37 PM
Also be sure to bring plenty of money to SoxFest and hit the Windy City Sox Fans booth for the "World Famous Pencil Pull." A buck a pencil and every one wins a prize, even if it's a 20-year-old Billy Pierce pin (although I think we're finally out of those). We have fun just watching the kids begging mom and dad for more money so they can pull just one more.

It's more fun watching the adults who somehow end up being just as addicted as the kids. I guess it's the next best thing to Vegas. (Oh, and all the profits go to Chicago Baseball Cancer Charities and are earmarked for Children's Memorial Hospital.

In addition if you join the club, you are eligible to win a fabulous prize (usually some kind of team jacket) that is usually drawn by a member of the Sox. OH I should blame you for that:D: . I was so addicted to it last year at least I won a White Sox Hat.

mike squires
01-13-2006, 08:45 PM

I love telling this story. After a session I handed Mr. Williams his 89 upper deck card. I sarcastically (well, not really) said, "So, was that a lazy fly to right? He put his glasses on, looked at it for a second and replied, "What are you talking about? That was a double to right center!!!"

mike squires
01-13-2006, 08:52 PM
Gotta say also, for you newbies, the old timers are prolly sick of this story. It's awesome to be going down an escalater and look over and see Minnie going up. Also on a deserted second floor I saw Minnie and looked to my left and saw Wilbur going into an elevator all by himself. Only at Soxfest do you have the choice of either getting on the elevator all by myself or get a pic with Minnie. I picked Minnie. Also got Herm's autograph during the party. I handned him the ticket and he said, "Anywhere in particular?" I think he was joking, but who knows with Herm?

I hate looking back and seeing chances of autographs with Aaron and Joe Crede slip away. I did get Joe on a few of his cards but sure would like a ball now. For some reason I just didn't worry about getting Aaron's.

TornLabrum
01-13-2006, 09:05 PM
Somebody mentioned getting autographs from the former players. That's not an option this year. The Sox have decided to concentrate of the World Champions (and who can blame them), so the only Sox oldtimers you're going to see are Ozzie, members of the coaching staff, DJ, and Chris Singleton.

Palehose13
01-13-2006, 09:06 PM
Somebody mentioned getting autographs from the former players. That's not an option this year. The Sox have decided to concentrate of the World Champions (and who can blame them), so the only Sox oldtimers you're going to see are Ozzie, members of the coaching staff, DJ, and Chris Singleton.

I have no problem with that. In fact, I'm excited to hear about it.

TornLabrum
01-13-2006, 09:08 PM
I have no problem with that. In fact, I'm excited to hear about it.

I am, too. About the only time I spend away from the booth is standing in lines to get former players to sign my White Sox Encyclopedia. Now maybe I'll be able to attend a few more seminars...if I get there early enough.

salty99
01-13-2006, 09:10 PM
By the way the Sox website has been updated to include more players and coaches.

From chisox.com:

Players, coaches and managers scheduled to appear at SoxFest 2006 include Ozzie Guillen, Greg Walker, Harold Baines, Tim Raines, Ken Williams, Brian Anderson, Neal Cotts, Jermaine Dye, Jon Garland, Bobby Jenks, Rob Mackowiak, Paul Konerko, Brandon McCarthy, A.J. Pierzynski, Scott Podsednik, Cliff Politte, Jim Thome, Chris Widger, Ed Farmer, Hawk Harrelson and Darrin Jackson. Please note that not all players listed will be in attendance all three days of SoxFest

Palehose13
01-13-2006, 09:18 PM
Well if Joe Crede doesn't show up, I have an idea of who may get tipsy with us.

Reporter: So for the celebration will it be Champagne or Lite Beer?

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_425840.jpg

"Uh...Whiskey!"

Brian26
01-13-2006, 10:30 PM
By the way the Sox website has been updated to include more players and coaches.

From chisox.com:

Players, coaches and managers scheduled to appear at SoxFest 2006 include Ozzie Guillen, Greg Walker, Harold Baines, Tim Raines, Ken Williams, Brian Anderson, Neal Cotts, Jermaine Dye, Jon Garland, Bobby Jenks, Rob Mackowiak, Paul Konerko, Brandon McCarthy, A.J. Pierzynski, Scott Podsednik, Cliff Politte, Jim Thome, Chris Widger, Ed Farmer, Hawk Harrelson and Darrin Jackson. Please note that not all players listed will be in attendance all three days of SoxFest

That's a great list of players.

SOX ADDICT '73
01-13-2006, 11:57 PM

From chisox.com:

WOW. You guys had me all convinced to forego the autograph sessions in favor of the other stuff, and then I see that list...now I'm torn again. My trifecta would be AJ, Thome, and Jenks. What to do, what to do? :?:

Palehose13
01-14-2006, 12:07 AM
WOW. You guys had me all convinced to forego the autograph sessions in favor of the other stuff, and then I see that list...now I'm torn again. My trifecta would be AJ, Thome, and Jenks. What to do, what to do? :?:

I would pick out a session or two that you really want to go to. Usually guys are in groups of two for the session, then use the rest of the time to enjoy the fest. If your goal is to get autographs, then get the ones you want. However, as much as I love my collection, I would rather do everything else than stand in line. If I bump into a guy, great! I always carry a little bag with cards and a ball or two so I can get signatures.

To be honest, I have a hunch that AJ will be around in the bars. I would think that Jenks would be too, but then I remembered that he had a problem in the past, so he might not do that anymore. I have no idea about Thome.

mike squires
01-14-2006, 12:15 AM

If you are going both days, split them up. They usually have 2 of all the seminars. These Q and A sessions will be amazing and packed! I can't imagine the recepton a lot of these guys will get. Get autographs Friday and Sunday and do the seminars/garage sale Saturday. I imagain the line will be line for the garage sale Friday night. Damn, I wish I was going.