PDA

View Full Version : Singleton & Rowand

havelj
01-13-2006, 09:55 AM
I was looking at their stats and discovered this:

At the age of 27, Chris batted .300, with 17 HR and 72 RBI. Then the next year he dropped to .254 with 11 HR and 62 RBI.

Aaron, also 27, batted .310, with 24 HR and 69 RBI. Then last year he dropped to .270 with 13 HR and 69 RBI.

Their stolen bases were also similar:
Chris had 20 stolen bases and 5 caught stealing then 22 and 7.
Aaron had 17 stolen bases and 5 caught stealing then 16 and 5.

I_Liked_Manuel
01-13-2006, 10:01 AM
i can't believe how similar those stats are. iirc, singleton broke into the majors at a late age. singleton was a better fielder though.

Hitmen77
01-13-2006, 11:17 AM
I guess this means that Aaron Rowand will be next in line for a Sox broadcaster job when Hawk retires in 10 years. :tongue:

Minnie Me
01-13-2006, 11:24 AM
This only proves that Rowand was way over rated not even including his poor base running and bad routes to the ball in the outfield. KW is a genius for trading him, however KW has misjudged the talents of Willie Harris. I love you Willie and want to bear your children.

MsSoxVixen22
01-13-2006, 11:31 AM
This only proves that Rowand was way over rated not even including his poor base running and bad routes to the ball in the outfield. KW is a genius for trading him, however KW has misjudged the talents of Willie Harris. I love you Willie and want to bear your children.

:?:

Clembasbal
01-13-2006, 11:34 AM
singleton was a better fielder though.

Agree to Disagree, but I don't believe that statment at all. Singleton did not patrol the outfield like Rowand did. Not even close.

The Dude
01-13-2006, 11:42 AM
singleton was a better fielder though.

:hawk

"Are you kidding me? Are you nuts??"

russ99
01-13-2006, 11:46 AM
Agree to Disagree, but I don't believe that statment at all. Singleton did not patrol the outfield like Rowand did. Not even close.

I think 1-Dog (Lance Johnson) was the best fielding Sox CF I've seen.

I_Liked_Manuel
01-13-2006, 11:50 AM
"Are you kidding me? Are you nuts??"

even though he was the only guy on the 2000 team that wasn't hitting, singleton's defense more than made up for it. i only saw him botch one ball in the outfield the whole time he was here, and that one was because he brought a ball back in from over the wall and it fell out of his glove. rowand, on the other hand, was consistantly taking horrible routes to the ball.

house215
01-13-2006, 11:50 AM

AMEN.

I loooooove one-dog.

fuzzy_patters
01-13-2006, 11:51 AM

Agreed. He had the weakest throwing arm, but he was the best fielder.

SoxyStu
01-13-2006, 11:54 AM

Well, I have reserved judgement on this trade because of the intangible element Rowand brought with him to the table. You may have a point statisticswise, but his attitude, character, and how he connected with his teammates was, quite possibly, more important than whatever the hell his batting average was in contributing to this team's championship. I can't say whether or not either Singleton or Thome do not possess these intangibles, but certainly neither of them have won a world championship for light to be shed on them.

I_Liked_Manuel
01-13-2006, 12:06 PM
Well, I have reserved judgement on this trade because of the intangible element Rowand brought with him to the table. You may have a point statisticswise, but his attitude, character, and how he connected with his teammates was, quite possibly, more important than whatever the hell his batting average was in contributing to this team's championship. I can't say whether or not either Singleton or Thome do not possess these intangibles, but certainly neither of them have won a world championship for light to be shed on them.

by that argument, we should have brought back timo and his rally panties

Unregistered
01-13-2006, 12:17 PM
I think 1-Dog (Lance Johnson) was the best fielding Sox CF I've seen.Gotta respect 1-Dog.
http://www.geocities.com/imfos2813/LanceJohnson.jpg

SoxyStu
01-13-2006, 12:53 PM
by that argument, we should have brought back timo and his rally panties

How did I lead you to that assumption? I think you are making three incorrect assumptions about my post. First, that I dislike the trade. Second, because I dislike the trade, that I feel it is best to have ALL 25 players return. And third, that Aaron's role on the 3 Amigos, role on the team, and salary are the same as Timo's role in the Fab 4, role on the team, and salary.

I believe I wrote I am "reserving judgement." Since when does this mean I dislike it? Not having an opinon is not the same as being a naysayer. I hope I'm not coming off as a jerk, but I'm just not sure where I lost you.

A. Cavatica
01-13-2006, 03:02 PM
If WSI had been around back then, I would have been responsible for all the Lance-bashing threads. I just never thought much of him as a player. He was comparable to Singleton overall, but not as good as Rowand.

maurice
01-13-2006, 03:59 PM
At the age of 27, Chris batted .300, with 17 HR and 72 RBI. . . .
. . . with 72 R & .328 OBP + .490 SLG = .818 OPS.

Aaron, also 27, batted .310, with 24 HR and 69 RBI. . . .
. . . with 94 R & .361 OBP + .544 SLG = .905 OPS.

Rowand's career numbers also are a bit higher than Singleton's:
- Singleton .273 AVE, .312 OBP, .726 OPS
- Rowand .283 AVE, .337 OBP, .788 OPS

I was really suprised to hear that Singleton got the Sox announcer's job. I think I'd rather have him as the Sox 4th OF.

Domeshot17
01-13-2006, 06:52 PM
I was glad Singleton was back. My high school baseball team went a camp he held for Outfielders ( everyone went though) and he taught us how he uses a 3 finger technique which makes 12 1/2 inch glove closer to 13 1/2.

Aaron wasnt over rated, he just did not adjust. I think he will, and go on to have a good career. It is hard to call a guy who broke into the bigs with most viewing him as a 4th OF over rated. I think you discredited anything you said with the willie harris comments. Willie got his shot with us, he didnt take advantage of it. Willie reminded me of someone who felt things should be handed to him.

Palehose13
01-13-2006, 08:11 PM

You may have been taken seriously, if it wasn't for your last sentence.

gobears1987
01-13-2006, 08:54 PM
You may have been taken seriously, if it wasn't for your last sentence.Jesus H. Christ and I thought Bafia was obsessed with Willie.

Tragg
01-14-2006, 12:39 AM
Singleton was a good fielder, but a really, really, really bad hitter. He had a decent average a couple of seasons, but not much power and wouldn't take a walk to save his life. One-dog, who also had limited power, wasn't a prolific walker, but was 100% better at it than Singleton.

Nellie_Fox
01-14-2006, 01:26 AM
I think 1-Dog (Lance Johnson) was the best fielding Sox CF I've seen.Jim Landis.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-14-2006, 02:16 AM

Well you are not old enough to have seen Chet Lemon.

http://www.geocities.com/brettballantini/ShortsWeb.jpg.jpg

SouthSide_HitMen
01-14-2006, 02:17 AM
Jim Landis.

And I am not old enough to have seen Jim Landis. My grandfather saw both and said Landis was a better fielder though Chet Lemon was very good.

sean
01-14-2006, 02:58 AM
I was looking at their stats and discovered this:

At the age of 27, Chris batted .300, with 17 HR and 72 RBI. Then the next year he dropped to .254 with 11 HR and 62 RBI.

Aaron, also 27, batted .310, with 24 HR and 69 RBI. Then last year he dropped to .270 with 13 HR and 69 RBI.

Their stolen bases were also similar:
Chris had 20 stolen bases and 5 caught stealing then 22 and 7.
Aaron had 17 stolen bases and 5 caught stealing then 16 and 5.

Oddly enough, IIRC, the Sox made the playoffs in both of those second years (2000 and 2005).

TaylorStSox
01-14-2006, 03:15 AM

Mike Cameron

Re: Singleton/Rowand...

They're both prime candidates to appear on the next episode of VH1's One Hit Wonders.

TaylorStSox
01-14-2006, 03:16 AM
Singleton was a good fielder, but a really, really, really bad hitter. He had a decent average a couple of seasons, but not much power and wouldn't take a walk to save his life. One-dog, who also had limited power, wasn't a prolific walker, but was 100% better at it than Singleton.

Sounds exactly like Rowand. Don't forget the K's.

Theanticub
01-14-2006, 03:36 AM
AMEN.

I loooooove one-dog.

Believe it or not, my friend and I were putting together an all-time list...just for our era

one dog was without a doubt the starting CF.

shbart
01-14-2006, 08:48 PM
I'll take Ken Berry over Chet Lemon as a defensive CF.

soxfanatlanta
01-14-2006, 08:55 PM
One dog was a good defensive CF, I always viewed hit hitting/sb as a bonus. But I grew up watching Lemon, so I wou'd have to give him the nod. Especially since he had the stones to wear those shorts :smile:

Tekk
01-14-2006, 09:10 PM
Lance Johnson was a triples hitting machine, I remember him slapping liners down the RF line and into the corner for extra base hits all the time.

davenicholson
01-14-2006, 09:18 PM
I just missed Jim Landis, so I have to go with:

http://flyingsock.com/BaseballCards/Berry67.jpg

ode to veeck
01-14-2006, 09:43 PM

Lance was good, but Chet Lemon was the bast Sox CF I've seen. I can't count the times he climbed the wall in the corners of CF to take in some deep outs when it was 440 to the plate

jamokes
01-14-2006, 09:55 PM
Just remember.....Claudell slept here once!! Let's hope Singleton is better than DJ as an announcer.

miker
01-16-2006, 11:58 AM
What, no love for Ron LaFlore?

(And yes, he did play center after Lemon and before Rudy Law.)

Minnie Me
01-16-2006, 12:33 PM
Later in his career with the Tigers, Sparky Anderson was quoted saying that Chet Lemon was the best CF he had ever seen and that he was the real MVP of the Tigers (this was during the Tiger WS year)

Nellie_Fox
01-17-2006, 01:10 AM
Later in his career with the Tigers, Sparky Anderson was quoted saying that Chet Lemon was the best CF he had ever seen and that he was the real MVP of the Tigers (this was during the Tiger WS year)Sparky was well-known for hyperbole about his players. Everybody on his team was the best this, the best that, the next Hall of Famer. I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in that.