PDA

View Full Version : Somebody is losing their AAA franchise

Fenway
01-13-2006, 10:22 AM
The Phillies are moving their AAA team to Allentown, PA but the big mystery is where they come from as Scranton still owns one of the 30 AAA franchises
and is already talking to Ottawa about moving there. So where does an Allentown franchise come from? I wouldn't be shocked if it is Charlotte with all their stadium problems which would mean the White Sox may have to go shopping.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/sports/?t_id=473
SCRANTON Although its not yet official, there appears to be little or no chance the Philadelphia Phillies will reconsider their decision to cut ties with the Red Barons after the upcoming season.

Were still in the process of exploring other options for whats going to happen after 2006, Phillies Assistant General Manager Mike Arbuckle said at a press conference Wednesday afternoon. Id say theres a 90 percent chance that we will be pulling out of Scranton.
Last month, the Phillies notified Scranton/Wilkes-Barre officials of their decision to move their Triple-A franchise to Allentown beginning in 2007

Ruby said even with the departure of the Phillies as the major league affiliate, Luzerne and Lackawanna counties would still own one of the 30 Triple-A licenses, so they would still have a team playing at Lackawanna County Stadium unless the counties sell that license. Red Barons Public Relations Director Mike Cummings says its extremely unlikely that the license will be sold to another city.

soxfanatlanta
01-13-2006, 02:46 PM
I better get my lazy ass up to Charlotte to catch them before they move!

getonbckthr
01-18-2006, 02:23 AM
Do the Sox lose those players or do they just move them? The minors always had me confused.

Fenway
01-18-2006, 07:50 AM
Do the Sox lose those players or do they just move them? The minors always had me confused.

players in most cases belong to the parent club, once in awhile a AAA team buys a player contract

bottom line the players are told to report to wherever

Randar68
01-18-2006, 10:50 AM
The Sox signed an extension on their agreement with Charlotte before last season. I don't recall how long it lasts off the top of my head, but would guess 3-4 years minimum.

Charlotte's stadium isn't terrible, but the location just isn't ideal in the area. The owner also has ties to the Charlotte area, IIRC, so I doubt he'd move it without selling it.