PDA

View Full Version : Will the White Sox visit the White House?

bennyw41
01-06-2006, 09:01 AM
Keeping all politics aside, do the Sox get to go to the White House anytime soon?

Hangar18
01-06-2006, 09:20 AM
Im smelling Roadhouse ............

bennyw41
01-06-2006, 09:21 AM
Im smelling Roadhouse ............

I said politics aside. I always thought it was cool when the championship team got to go to the White House, no matter who was president.

itsnotrequired
01-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Tough to say. I thought teams stopped by when they were "in the area" but the Sox don't play in Baltimore until the end of July.

Hangar18
01-06-2006, 09:26 AM
I said politics aside. I always thought it was cool when the championship team got to go to the White House, no matter who was president.

.....this could be construed as "sox are being dissed again" and get no respect etc ...

Madvora
01-06-2006, 09:28 AM
George and Barbara Bush were at those game when the Sox won. I think the Bush family has seen enough of the Sox.

kittle42
01-06-2006, 09:28 AM
.....this could be construed as "sox are being dissed again" and get no respect etc ...

Only by you, Henry.

Christ, they won the World Series....quit acting like we care about getting "dissed" or something.

Ol' No. 2
01-06-2006, 09:31 AM
Only by you, Henry.

Christ, they won the World Series....quit acting like we care about getting "dissed" or something.Anything less than having a picture on the Wheaties boxes of the whole team with the president in front of the White House is unacceptable. :rolleyes:

SOXintheBURGH
01-06-2006, 09:32 AM
Only by you, Henry.

Christ, they won the World Series....quit acting like we care about getting "dissed" or something.

Yeah, seriously.

Hasn't each and every baseball show on every channel selected the Sox as having the best off season thus far too? I've heard guys like Gammons (uh huh, I know) and others call Kenny one of the best GMs in the game today.

We won our World Series, now we will get our respect.

rocky biddle
01-06-2006, 09:45 AM
They'll go to the White House when they're in Baltimore. It doesn't matter if it's not "newsworthy" anymore. It'll still be special to the team and us fans. I just feel bad for the guys that were on the team that won't get to go.

mandmandm
01-06-2006, 09:45 AM
Didn't Farmio get the team into the White House a couple years ago when they were playing on the east coast? I thought I remember him and John talking about the experience. Not sure if they met W.

kittle42
01-06-2006, 09:47 AM
Didn't Farmio get the team into the White House a couple years ago when they were playing on the east coast? I thought I remember him and John talking about the experience. Not sure if they met W.

To hell with red and blue states....Ed Farmer: Key To The White House

Hangar18
01-06-2006, 09:49 AM
Only by you, Henry.

I didnt start this thread .............

mjharrison72
01-06-2006, 09:51 AM
Yeah, seriously.

Hasn't each and every baseball show on every channel selected the Sox as having the best off season thus far too? I've heard guys like Gammons (uh huh, I know) and others call Kenny one of the best GMs in the game today.

We won our World Series, now we will get our respect.
http://www.pro-war.com/prowardotcom/images/Ali.g.2.jpg
RESPEK: A concept so uncommon, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find it doesn't even exist.

kittle42
01-06-2006, 09:52 AM
I didnt start this thread .............

True, but the original poster in no way insinuated that the Sox were not getting respect by not having been invited yet. He just asked an innocent question.

Hangar18
01-06-2006, 09:59 AM
True, but the original poster in no way insinuated that the Sox were not getting respect by not having been invited yet. He just asked an innocent question.

ahhh, I see what your saying. The other day, I wondered why the entire team wasnt put on the Wheaties Box, just Buehrle, Fenway mentioned later that Wheaties seems to be putting just one person on the box lately, that was probably why, but the thread was Roadhoused because it was believed I Insuated that the Sox were not getting respect by not being on the box entirely when I was just asking an innocent question. I took it as the SOX werent getting respect by not being at the White House already ........

kittle42
01-06-2006, 10:06 AM
http://www.pro-war.com/prowardotcom/images/Ali.g.2.jpg
RESPEK: A concept so uncommon, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find it doesn't even exist.

I LIKE! HIGH FIVE!

1951Campbell
01-06-2006, 10:06 AM
Anything less than having a picture on the Wheaties boxes of the whole team with the president in front of the White House is unacceptable. :rolleyes:

What? Shouldn't Ozzie address a joint session of Congress? Shouldn't the starting nine get to sit as Supreme Court justices for a day?

Hangar18
01-06-2006, 10:07 AM
What? Shouldn't Ozzie address a joint session of Congress? Shouldn't the starting nine get to sit as Supreme Court justices for a day?

HEH HEHEH

1951Campbell
01-06-2006, 10:13 AM
:burly

"Batters fear my fastball, my curve, and my devastating grasp of Commerce Clause jurisprudence."

voodoochile
01-06-2006, 10:23 AM
ahhh, I see what your saying. The other day, I wondered why the entire team wasnt put on the Wheaties Box, just Buehrle, Fenway mentioned later that Wheaties seems to be putting just one person on the box lately, that was probably why, but the thread was Roadhoused because it was believed I Insuated that the Sox were not getting respect by not being on the box entirely when I was just asking an innocent question. I took it as the SOX werent getting respect by not being at the White House already ........

But in fact the Sox HAD been on a Wheaties box and the information was widely discussed by members here and in other media. Perhaps if you had phrased it differently, it might have been treated as an innocent question, but here is what you actually typed (emphasis mine):

Im very curious about this. I know the last WS Winning team to be on was the 1999 Yankees. Wasnt our WS win just as dominating? Just as work-man like? I never did hear an "official" reason why the SOX were ignored.

Basically your statement implied bias. It also stated flatly that they were ignored. Since this obviously wasn't the case, the thread got moved to the conspiracies forum - What's The Score?

zach23
01-06-2006, 10:32 AM
Anything less than having a picture on the Wheaties boxes of the whole team with the president in front of the White House is unacceptable. :rolleyes:

It all has to be done on Conan or Jay Leno too or it is still unacceptable.

bennyw41
01-06-2006, 11:22 AM
I had no hidden agenda, and you Hi-Jacked the thread...thanks again Hangar

EastCoastSoxFan
01-06-2006, 11:42 AM
It was in 2001 the day before we started our series in Baltimore. I remember listening to the game on the internet and Farmio was just gushing about how great it is to live in a country where you can actually meet the president, shake his hand, and talk baseball for a few minutes. He also mentioned that several White Sox players went with him. Presumably the fact that the president is a former MLB owner made him more receptive to the idea of letting baseball players and personnel have a brief meet & greet in the Oval Office...

batmanZoSo
01-06-2006, 11:47 AM

All that plus Jesus. Then we'll be happy. Maybe. :o:

jdm2662
01-06-2006, 12:16 PM
I can't wait until the season starts. Will there be another outrage when the White Sox aren't the lead story on Sportscenter every night they play??

To answer the question at hand, I remember the Bulls going there in the first year prior to training camp starting. I don't know how it works with baseball. It could be very well when they play in Baltimore. Then again, with Old Man Bush and Barbara being in attendence for both games in Houston doning Astros attire, I'm not sure the White Sox will be welcomed...:D: Another conspiracy in the making. Is that spelled right?? Eh, who cares, you get the idea...

kittle42
01-06-2006, 12:39 PM
I can't wait until the season starts. Will there be another outrage when the White Sox aren't the lead story on Sportscenter every night they play??

Just mark your (and my) words now...yes. :(:

And let's not even get to the discussions of why the Cubs are leading off the local sportscasts the first time it happens. Those will be fun.

gobears1987
01-06-2006, 12:41 PM
The Sox will probably go in Feb or March during ST. They won't go until the whole team is together. It is pointless to go now with Gooch in Japan, Ozzie and Co. in Venezuela etc. Every team waits until they are reuinted for the next season.

StockdaleForVeep
01-06-2006, 02:42 PM

To answer the question at hand, I remember the Bulls going there in the first year prior to training camp starting. I don't know how it works with baseball. It could be very well when they play in Baltimore. Then again, with Old Man Bush and Barbara being in attendence for both games in Houston doning Astros attire, I'm not sure the White Sox will be welcomed...:D: Another conspiracy in the making. Is that spelled right?? Eh, who cares, you get the idea...

Why would the media change, when the angels or marlins won the world series, they werent the dominating story EVERY night. Hell, yankees and redsox are "America's" team and arent top story every day, sox should be top story when the story merits it.

maurice
01-06-2006, 04:33 PM
I just heard that Vince Young got invited on
the TONITE show with JAY Leno and his COACH
got a personal telephone CALL from the president.
No RESPECT!
:)

downstairs
01-06-2006, 05:19 PM
I'm going to bypass all the BS, and merely answer the question...

I've heard that they will make a visit to the WS with the Prez when they're near DC next year (probably July against the O's... though if they have an off-day before or after another east coast team before, I suppose that could be an option).

Dice
01-12-2006, 10:29 AM
One of the perks in winning a championship in one of the four major sports is a visit to the White House to meet the president. Was wondering if that was still on and when? The reason why I'm asking is because the political conflict between Bush and Hugo Chavez, who is real close to Ozzie.

StockdaleForVeep
01-12-2006, 12:16 PM
One of the perks in winning a championship in one of the four major sports is a visit to the White House to meet the president. Was wondering if that was still on and when? The reason why I'm asking is because the political conflict between Bush and Hugo Chavez, who is real close to Ozzie.

Politics and american baseball have nothing to do with each other, baseball is baseball.

Fungo
01-12-2006, 12:45 PM

I've heard that they will make a visit to the WS with the Prez when they're near DC next year (probably July against the O's... though if they have an off-day before or after another east coast team before, I suppose that could be an option).

[Fungo's best Hangar18 impression]Well, that's fine and all, but if the the team from up north had won the World Series they would have wasted no time getting this done. Matter of fact, they probably would have uprooted the White House and brought it to Wrigley Field to accommodate the team from up north. This is an outrage. Stupid cubs.:angry:[end rant/Hangar18]

MsSoxVixen22
01-12-2006, 01:52 PM
George and Barbara Bush were at those game when the Sox won. I think the Bush family has seen enough of the Sox.

That's what I was thinking too

LongLiveFisk
01-12-2006, 05:32 PM

That's good to hear. I mean, why shouldn't they go? Hasn't every other team that's won the past I-don't-know-how-many World Series gone? It would make sense that they'd go either in the offseason, which is rapidly winding down, or when they get close to DC.

Either way, I'm looking forward to it. :bandance:

LongLiveFisk
01-12-2006, 05:34 PM

Well then it sucks to be them. White House, here we come! :cool:

ws05champs
01-12-2006, 06:17 PM

Good point. I just saw a clip with Chavez and Harry Belafonte. Belafonte was accusing Bush of being the world's number 1 terrorist.

Maybe Bush will have the Secret Service car carrying Ozzie get lost that day.

Clarkowski
01-12-2006, 11:53 PM
I guess the Sox are going to the White House on February 13th. ..."The team will be honored at the White House on February 13th, and Jerry Reinsdorf will be making a special stop in Chicago on his way back to spring training in Arizona. " - This from an economic club of chicago invitation my dad got to a dinner where Jerry is speaking at.

hsnterprize
01-13-2006, 08:50 AM
I'm hijacking this thread briefly, but my news director did a story about President Bush's visit to the Chicago Board of Trade, and he highlighted Dubya's congratulations to the White Sox. I'm paraphrasing what the story said, but it went something like this...

The President, being a former owner of the Texas Rangers, knows a lot about sports. He congratulated the Sox fans by saying, "Conratulations to the White Sox (said to applause and some groaning)...to all you long-suffering White Sox fans, and to recent converts (laughter). Speaker (Dennis) Hastert tapped me on the shoulder as we're on the chopper heading in (flying over Wrigley Field), and he says, 'That's the home of the Cubs.' I said to him, 'There's always next year. (laughter and groaning)'"

It'll be a sweet day when the Sox are honored in Washington. It'll be even sweeter if/when they win it all again!!!!! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

mandmandm
01-14-2006, 07:40 PM
Don't mean to push this post to "What's the Score" but a friend of mine that works with a charity that has an annual event is having a tough time getting a Sox player to commit to this event. Apparently all of the current players will be in a certain capital for that date. For what it is worth.

http://www.marchofdimes.com/illinois/6105_13058.asp (http://www.marchofdimes.com/illinois/6105_13058.asp)