PDA

View Full Version : Your new Sox color comentator is.....

Procol Harum
01-12-2006, 10:09 AM
According to the ramblings of Mike North just now(assuming that for a change he knows what he's talking about), Chris Singleton has been named as Ed Farmer's radio sidekick, by-passing Tommy John. Shucks. Hope he's good.

Anybody have any other info on this?

Grobber33
01-12-2006, 10:10 AM
CHRIS SINGLETON..The Sox and the Score just announced it. Singleton will work with Farmio!!
I have the story on grobber.com

Joosh
01-12-2006, 10:11 AM
Does this mean Tommy John is taking over for DJ?

Interesting news, but I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Procol Harum
01-12-2006, 10:12 AM
Does this mean Tommy John is taking over for DJ?

Interesting news, but I'd take it with a grain of salt.

No, apparently the thrust of the conversation was "poor old Tommy John" being by-passed again.

monkeypants
01-12-2006, 10:13 AM
I briefly tuned into The Score at 10 AM to listen to Mike Mulligan and heard Mike North :rolleyes: say that Chris "Slowswing" Singleton was going to be the new color commentator for the Sox. But I looked on the Sox official site and nothing was announced. Does anybody have any news on this or is North just blowing smoke out of his ass?

Uncle_Patrick
The Tribune is announcing it as well.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060112soxradio,1,265905.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

eriqjaffe
hooray?

ShoelessJoeS
01-12-2006, 10:14 AM
CHRIS SINGLETON..The Sox and the Score just announced it. Singleton will work with Farmio!!
I don't get it.

Lip Man 1
01-12-2006, 10:15 AM
I have no idea what happened to experienced candidates with a proven track record, on air, like Steve Lyons and Tommy John but given WSCR and their unwillingness to actually pay John Rooney, it's probable that guys like Lyons and John wanted more money.

Great....another inexperienced person in a broadcast booth. I guess they haven't learned since Darrin (Uh-Oh!) Jackson.

This will be interesting and possibly very painful to listen to next season. We'll see.

Lip

Viva Medias B's
01-12-2006, 10:15 AM
What's the over/under on the number of "Chris Singleton New Radio Announcer" threads started?

Ol' No. 2
01-12-2006, 10:16 AM
What happened to Tommy John?

Uncle_Patrick
01-12-2006, 10:16 AM
Well, I don't know what else to say. I imagine it will be hard for anyone to follow John Rooney. Chris Singleton is certainly an interesting choice.

ShoelessJoeS
01-12-2006, 10:18 AM
What's the over/under on the number of "Chris Singleton New Radio Announcer" threads started?
Lol

Kuzman
01-12-2006, 10:20 AM
Ill set the over/under at 4.

Ill take the over though :)

Hangar18
01-12-2006, 10:21 AM
According to the ramblings of Mike North just now(assuming that for a change he knows what he's talking about), Chris Singleton has been named as Ed Farmer's radio sidekick, by-passing Tommy John. Shucks. Hope he's good.

Im hearing the SOX are very interested in former players Shawn Abner and/or Lyle Mouton

manders_01
Whether or not he proves to be good, I love that he is a former member of the organization. I like that we keep it in the family! :D:

Fenway
http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/photos/010426.cfoa.singleton.jpg

this is going to be a disaster

SouthSide_HitMen
I have no idea what happened to experienced candidates with a proven track record, on air, like Steve Lyons and Tommy John but given WSCR and their unwillingness to actually pay John Rooney, it's probable that guys like Lyons and John wanted more money.

Great....another inexperienced person in a broadcast booth. I guess they haven't learned since Darrin (Uh-Oh!) Jackson.

This will be interesting and possibly very painful to listen to next season. We'll see.

Lip

Hopefully he is a one year placeholder.

:wills :yup:

Baby Fisk
01-12-2006, 10:22 AM

I like the way you think.

Flight #24
01-12-2006, 10:23 AM
Here's the official:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Thursday, January 12, 2006

CHICAGO WHITE SOX AND WSCR RADIO ANNOUNCE NEW ON-AIR TEAM;
Sox Alumni Chris Singleton to Join Ed Farmer in White Sox Radio Booth

CHICAGO Ė The World Series Champion Chicago White Sox and WSCR Radio (670 AM) have announced that former White Sox outfielder Chris Singleton has been hired as color commentator for the clubís radio broadcasts. Singleton will join All-Star pitcher and veteran radio broadcaster Ed Farmer, who signed a five-year extension in September. Farmer will assume the play-by-play duties.

Singleton and Farmer will make their White Sox radio debut on Wednesday, March 1 when WSCR airs the first of 15 Cactus League spring training games from Tucson. The pregame show will start 10 minutes before the 2:00 p.m. CST game time.

"We are excited to welcome Chris back to the White Sox organization," said Brooks Boyer, White Sox vice president of marketing and broadcasting. "Like most of our coaching staff, Chris has a history with the club and understands what the organization means to its fans. Teaming Chris with Ed Farmer will give our listeners great insight to the pitcher-hitter battle, in depth understanding of game strategy and planning, and will bring every White Sox game to life for our listeners. Anyone who knows Chris will welcome him back with open arms."

Singleton, 33, played six seasons in the major leagues with the White Sox (1999-2001), Baltimore (2002), Oakland (2003) and Tampa Bay (2005), hitting .273 (609-2,230) with 45 home runs and 276 RBI in 704 games. His best season came with the Sox in 1999, when he set career highs with a .300 average, 31 doubles, 17 home runs and 72 RBI to finish sixth in the American League Rookie of the Year voting. Singleton played in the postseason with the White Sox in 2000 and Oakland in 2003.

"Chris understands todayís game and todayís players. He will give our listeners the proprietary insight that the fans have come to expect," said Paul Agase, general manager for WSCR Radio.

"Iím thrilled to have this opportunity, because my wife and I always felt that Chicago was our second home," said Singleton. "I remember as a rookie, when I first began to do interviews, people always said I should pursue a career in broadcasting when my playing days were over. I guess that planted the seed, and to have the opportunity come with the White Sox is really gratifying. I have many great memories here and I am pleased to return to the White Sox family."

Singleton originally was acquired by the White Sox from the New York Yankees on December 8, 1999 in exchange for pitcher Rich Pratt. He was traded by the Sox to Baltimore on January 29, 2002 in return for infielder Willie Harris. Singleton and his wife, LaShunda, have three children and reside in Dacula, Georgia.

WSCR and the White Sox announced a five-year agreement in June 2005, making WSCR the teamís exclusive flagship radio station beginning in 2006. Under the agreement, WSCR will broadcast 15 spring training and 162 regular-season White Sox games during each of the next five seasons.

-30-
© 2006 Chicago White Sox

Note: Chris Singleton will be live on the Boers and Bernstein Show on WSCR sometime this afternoon between 2:00 and 6:00 p.m.

Hangar18
01-12-2006, 10:24 AM

Keeps the spot warm for ........................ BOB UECKER

Procol Harum
01-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Whether or not he proves to be good, I love that he is a former member of the organization. I like that we keep it in the family! :D:

For us old-timers, that mindset brings up painful memories of Early Wynn and J.C. Martin doing color back in the day....(shudder) :(:

wdelaney72
01-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Tommy John, from what I understand, is involved with a Chicagoland personal training organization. That avenue for him is probably much more lucrative, but that's just a guess on my part.

Baby Fisk
01-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Keeps the spot warm for ........................ BOB UECKERDear. God. No.

Hangar18
01-12-2006, 10:26 AM
I would rather have had Steve Lyons

TDog
01-12-2006, 10:27 AM

Lip

Jimmy Piersall was inexperienced and painful to listen to when they brought him in to work with Harry Caray, although many probably don't agree with me. Piersall was brutal on radio play-by-play during Caray's breaks. Some people -- elsewhere -- like listening to Ron Santo. Having never heard Singleton, and not having access to White Sox radio, I'm in no position to criticize the selection. Singleton seems like an intelligent person, in any case.

But it would be nice if people would post comments on this subject in one consolidated thread.

Jjav829
Ummm...really? Chris Singleton? Does he have any announcing experience whatsoever? We just lost the best play-by-play man in baseball and replaced him with Chris Singleton. :o:

:flameswing:

monkeypants
Well, I guess we should welcome him. We have nothing to base our opinions on how well he will do besides his lack of experience and the performance of another inexperienced Sox announcer. Ugh.
So, welcome Slowswing!

mjharrison72

*****, Fenway... he's going to talk on the radio. It's not like he's pitching!

Lip Man 1
01-12-2006, 10:29 AM
In the majority of cases a person is signed for longer then one year. I don't think Singleton would have accepted the job on a conditional one year contract.

I think the odds of Dave coming back at anytime in the next few years is now regretably small.

Lip

Flight #24
There are only 2 potential scenarios here:

1) WSCR is beyond stupid, willing to risk killing their prize new acquisition by saving a few bucks on the announcer. There HAD to have been someone who actually has broadcasting experience and wouldn't break the bank (Lyons?).

2) There's someone they want who's not available and Chris is a placeholder. Willsy, come on home, please!

This is not a knock on Singleton, who IIRC is well-spoken and might do well. But the announcer for the World Champs is not generally one of the "on the job training" type of gigs.

DaleJRFan
*****, Fenway... he's going to talk on the radio. It's not like he's pitching!

At least he can't pop out anymore...

Fenway
01-12-2006, 10:33 AM
so this means Farmer is going do to all 9 innings of play by play :o:

Thousands of people are going to sample White Sox radio for the first time and the World Champions now have a broadcast team that will be weaker than some AAA markets.

This team makes Hughes and Santo sound like Scully and Harwell.

Dolly
01-12-2006, 10:33 AM
:?: IIRC, didn't he have a problem with the fans here? I thought he was glad to get out of Chicago.

jackbrohamer
01-12-2006, 10:37 AM
Ummm...really? Chris Singleton? Does he have any announcing experience whatsoever?:

Other than an inning or so he did with Hawk and DJ during the 2004 season, I don't know. His personality reminded me of DJ, what's up with them hiring sleep-inducing color commentators? :angry:

Fenway
01-12-2006, 10:37 AM
Put Piersall at least had a Caray to fall back on. Nobody on this board thinks Farmer is a #1 play by play voice.

Jimmy Piersall was inexperienced and painful to listen to when they brought him in to work with Harry Caray, although many probably don't agree with me. Piersall was brutal on radio play-by-play during Caray's breaks. Some people -- elsewhere -- like listening to Ron Santo. Having never heard Singleton, and not having access to White Sox radio, I'm in no position to criticize the selection. Singleton seems like an intelligent person, in any case.

But it would be nice if people would post comments on this subject in one consolidated thread.

mjharrison72
01-12-2006, 10:39 AM
so this means Farmer is going do to all 9 innings of play by play :o:

Thousands of people are going to sample White Sox radio for the first time and the World Champions now have a broadcast team that will be weaker than some AAA markets.

Please! You're killing me!
First off, we have no idea what Singleton will bring to the table... he could be really good.
Second, if Farmer was part of a team that was one of the best in radio, how is it that his play by play is going to be AAA-caliber?
Third off, NOTHING is worse than the pandering of Santo and Hughes, no matter how bad Farmer's PBP is and no matter how shallow Singleton's color commentary is. Don't give them too much credit!

Law11
01-12-2006, 10:40 AM

Looks like a 5 year deal..

Edit - My bad the SCore deal is 5 years... Come back Dave!!

Hangar18
01-12-2006, 10:40 AM
Jimmy Piersall was inexperienced and painful to listen to when they brought him in to work with Harry Caray, although many probably don't agree with me. Piersall was brutal on radio play-by-play during Caray's breaks. Some people -- elsewhere -- like listening to Ron Santo. .. Singleton seems like an intelligent person, in any case.

Piersall wasnt painful to listen to, he was very insightful and personable if not fiery. What endeared him to SOX fans was his Call-it-like-it-is style which meshed well with Harry Caray's call-it-like-it-is style, which worked during some dark years calling SOX games. Listening to Jimmy was never boring ........... his baseball knowledge was always entertaining. The other guy you mentioned ....though good in his day, just does not translate over onto radio. His enunciation is slow, garbled and confusing. His topics range from the spelling of names to the cities in Iowa where tourists are coming from. Rarely (never) have I heard baseball insight come from him (always hughes instead). Piersall was not brutal.

Kuzman
01-12-2006, 10:41 AM
Atleast give him a shot before bashing the decision. Maybe when he was down in Tampa he was taking Broadcasting for Dummies while riding the bench, or something like that.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-12-2006, 10:41 AM
In the majority of cases a person is signed for longer then one year. I don't think Singleton would have accepted the job on a conditional one year contract.

I think the odds of Dave coming back at anytime in the next few years is now regretably small.

Lip

While I defer to your knowledge on media issues I can't see Singleton having much leverage, especially when several more experienced candidates where in the running.

I am hoping Dave will be able to return, or against all hope, this pairing will be half way decent.

The reason I fear Dave is not returning is the fact they gave Ed Farmer the PBP job and I don't think they will be able to "demote" him at this point.

It could be worse

http://wgnradio.com/sports/photos/patronbooth2001.jpg

"I got a fax here"

ChiSoxGirl
01-12-2006, 10:42 AM
My first reaction to this was WHAT?!?!?!?! This came out of lef... er, centerfield! His name wasn't even rumored to be in contention for the job, let alone being named for it!

I'm all for giving someone a chance, but come on! Chris Singleton?! :dunno: Remember that ranking a few months back of radio play-by-play teams? Looks like we could go from first to worst in a year's time!

Lip Man 1
01-12-2006, 10:45 AM
Southside:

I can tell you that the odds of Singleton agreeing to a one year deal, leverage or not is very,very small especially if the other 'experienced' candidates like Lyons and John wanted more money.

Personally I agree with Flight's comment that yes WSCR can be that stupid. But again we'll have to see. If he's another Jackson the Sox are in serious broadcasting trouble.

Lip

34 Inch Stick
01-12-2006, 10:46 AM
I have no idea how he will do. He used to call JHood up back in the day and he was well spoken and comfortable on the radio. However, as I have said with hirings in several other positions, Chicago should not be a training ground.

On the other hand, if Anderson does not work out this may be a good signing.

Hangar18
01-12-2006, 10:47 AM
Atleast give him a shot before bashing the decision. Maybe when he was down in Tampa he was taking Broadcasting for Dummies while riding the bench, or something like that.

You want either a guy with Excessive Knowledge, or Excessive Personality to be your color guy, and if he has BOTH, thats even better. Chris Singleton was very soft-spoken and quiet while a member of the SOX and his interviews certainly led me to believe he was fairly bright, but never did I think he was the kind of guy you would Replace a Radio Legend with. Nothing against Chris, he could turn out to be a good announcer, but this isnt really a smart move. Unless of course, the SOX are delaying the announcement of someone next season ............... (bob uecker:cool: )

Lip Man 1
01-12-2006, 10:48 AM
Chisox Girl:

Actually our own Hal Vickery reported on these boards that he had spoken with people who saw Singleton at Midway Airport and that Singleton told them he had interviewed for the position. This was posted long before today's announcement.

Lip

Uncle_Patrick
01-12-2006, 10:49 AM

Whoa, whoa! Let's not get carried away here. I'm assuming that Singleton is at least coherent. He's got a step up on Santo right there.

tebman
01-12-2006, 10:49 AM
I hope it works out well for all of us, including Singleton. I listen to a lot of Sox games on the radio during the season and I'm going to miss Rooney. He's a quality Broadcaster.

None of us knows what really went on between the radio station and the Sox and the available announcers. I can't imagine that Singleton was hired just to save money, since WSCR is inheriting the World Champs and stands to make truckloads of cash in ad sales and cross-promotions. Maybe there was some schedule/contractual conflict that made it too difficult to get Tommy John or Steve Lyons or whoever else was mentioned.

I just want the Sox to play in October again and I want whoever's on the radio to provide insight and clarity on the way there. I'm willing to give WSCR the benefit of the doubt.

Fenway
01-12-2006, 10:50 AM
Please! You're killing me!
First off, we have no idea what Singleton will bring to the table... he could be really good.
Second, if Farmer was part of a team that was one of the best in radio, how is it that his play by play is going to be AAA-caliber?

Rooney was the reason for that rating PERIOD. ( He is one of the best )

Farmer was an okay #2 voice but is not #1 material. I've listened to a lot of announcers in my lifetime and Farmo wouldn't crack my Top 50.

Madvora
01-12-2006, 10:53 AM
What the hell happened to Singleton anyway? I remember being very frustrated with him on the Sox, but his numbers were actually pretty good.
Did he have some kind of injury to end his career?

Hangar18
01-12-2006, 10:54 AM

Farmer was an okay #2 voice but is not #1 material. I've listened to a lot of announcers in my lifetime and Farmo wouldn't crack my Top 50.

Agreed. WSCR has barely been the flagship station and are already committing a major GAFFE. Rooney had a classic voice which harkened back to the old days of baseball

Uncle_Patrick
01-12-2006, 10:55 AM
What the hell happened to Singleton anyway? I remember being very frustrated with him on the Sox, but his numbers were actually pretty good.

1999 CHIA1334967214931617722245205.3002000 CHIA1475118313022511623585227.2542001 CWSA1403925711721574520611211.2982002 BALA136466671223069502183202.2622003 OAKA1203063875241136265572.2452005 TBA28599165001161400.271

Last I heard, he had failed a physical while trying out for a team. I think that was a year or two ago.

Hangar18
01-12-2006, 10:56 AM

he wanted to be the first, to play CF AND announce games. The SOX didnt go for that and traded him.

Kuzman
01-12-2006, 10:56 AM
You want either a guy with Excessive Knowledge, or Excessive Personality to be your color guy, and if he has BOTH, thats even better. Chris Singleton was very soft-spoken and quiet while a member of the SOX and his interviews certainly led me to believe he was fairly bright, but never did I think he was the kind of guy you would Replace a Radio Legend with. Nothing against Chris, he could turn out to be a good announcer, but this isnt really a smart move. Unless of course, the SOX are delaying the announcement of someone next season ............... (bob uecker:cool: )

I also understand where you're coming from. John Rooney has been replaced though, he was replaced with Ed Farmer. Now Farmer's replacement is Chris Singleton. So as long as he is an analyst like Farmio was I will be just content. Personally IMHO, Farmer I don't think is fit to be a PBP man he is more of an analyst. I think that just by what he was doing during innings 4-6 last year. That all can change though once I listen to them and am able to make a proper opinion on a full game. I'm pretty sure the blasting of good ol me will be coming from what I said, but Farmio is no Rooney and those are mighty big shoes to fill.

tebman
01-12-2006, 10:58 AM
he wanted to be the first, to play CF AND announce games. The SOX didnt go for that and traded him.

Well, it's been done -- sort of:

http://www.further.com/~dknuth/pics/cubs/bleachers.jpg

shbart
01-12-2006, 10:58 AM
I have no idea how he will do. He used to call JHood up back in the day and he was well spoken and comfortable on the radio. However, as I have said with hirings in several other positions, Chicago should not be a training ground.

On the other hand, if Anderson does not work out this may be a good signing.

So... when are we starting the poll, would you rather see Singleton as the 4th outfielder or as our announcer?

Shame on WSCR for hiring an ex-jock with no on-air experience (going by the team press release) in a top 3 market. Why should anyone ever to go to school for broadcasting?

ChiSoxGirl
01-12-2006, 10:59 AM
Chisox Girl:

Actually our own Hal Vickery reported on these boards that he had spoken with people who saw Singleton at Midway Airport and that Singleton told them he had interviewed for the position. This was posted long before today's announcement.

Lip

I don't remember reading that anywhere. Was it in a thread or one of his Homepage articles? Oops! :redface:

HomeFish
01-12-2006, 11:00 AM
I'm pretty sure the blasting of good ol me will be coming from what I said

You mean you think your post will...Light 'em up?

Lip Man 1
Tebman:

Well history records that the station refused to pay one of the top play by play guys in baseball so he left to go elsewhere.

That's a fact...so apparently money is an issue with WSCR.

Lip

Kuzman
You mean you think your post will...Light 'em up?

HAH, nice. Speaking of that. Do you think he will create a catch phrase? Or just use whatever is rattling around in his head at that moment?

Edit: 500th post. Only took me 2 years :)

Baby Fisk
Singleton's career numbers. (http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/singlch01.shtml)

Viva Medias B's
01-12-2006, 11:01 AM

Henry, Uecker is a Brewer for life. Forget about it.

Hullett_Fan
01-12-2006, 11:03 AM

You got it fenway.

I'd be fine with Singleton as color commentator IF we had a real play-by-play guy in the booth. That's the real issue here. Singleton should be Farmer's replacement and we should be looking for a PBP guy. (You could say the same for our TV booth as well. Should replace DJ with a PBP guy and move Hawk to color).

thepaulbowski
01-12-2006, 11:06 AM
Didn't Singleton fill in for a few games on TV this past year? I thought he did, and, IIRC he did a pretty decent job.

Madvora
01-12-2006, 11:07 AM
Singleton's Stats

YEAR (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/playercard?playerId=12749&type=0&sort=0)-TEAM--G (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/playercard?playerId=12749&type=0&sort=2)-- AB (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/playercard?playerId=12749&type=0&sort=3)---R (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/playercard?playerId=12749&type=0&sort=4)--H (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/playercard?playerId=12749&type=0&sort=5)--2B (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/playercard?playerId=12749&type=0&sort=6)--3B (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/playercard?playerId=12749&type=0&sort=7)--HR (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/playercard?playerId=12749&type=0&sort=8)--RBI (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/playercard?playerId=12749&type=0&sort=9)--BB (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/playercard?playerId=12749&type=0&sort=10)--SO (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/playercard?playerId=12749&type=0&sort=11)--SB (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/playercard?playerId=12749&type=0&sort=12)-CS (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/playercard?playerId=12749&type=0&sort=13)--BA (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/playercard?playerId=12749&type=0&sort=1)
1999--SOX--133-496-72-149-31--6---17--72---22--45--20--5--.300
2000--SOX--147-511-83-130-22--5---11--62---35--85--22--7--.254
2001--SOX--140-392-57-117-21--5---7---45---20--61--12--11-.298
2002--BAL-- 136-466-67-122-30--6---9---50---21--83--20--2--.262
2003--OAK--120-306-38--75-24--1--- 1--36----26--55--7---2--.245
2005--TB----28--59--9---16-5-- 0--- 0---11---6---14--0----0--.271

mweflen
01-12-2006, 11:08 AM
yawn

FARMEO
01-12-2006, 11:14 AM

Lip

It didn't sound like Rooney was coming back at any price, I can't blame the Score or the Sox for his departure.

Crede_Fan
01-12-2006, 11:18 AM
Looks like I'm stuck listening to Buck & McCarver for the 2006 WS.

anewman35
01-12-2006, 11:20 AM
I just want the Sox to play in October again

You are in luck. The last game of the season is October 1st in Minnesota. October Baseball!

alohafri
01-12-2006, 11:21 AM
Im hearing the SOX are very interested in former players Shawn Abner and/or Lyle Mouton

I was pulling for the Deacon, myself.

alohafri
01-12-2006, 11:23 AM
Whoa, whoa! Let's not get carried away here. I'm assuming that Singleton is at least coherent. He's got a step up on Santo right there.

Ah, you know Pat, this Singleton guy just doesn't have the Hall of Fame credentials that I have. He never even faced Ferguson Jenkins. OH JEEZ!

ChiSoxGirl
01-12-2006, 11:28 AM
Ah, you know Pat, this Singleton guy just doesn't have the Hall of Fame credentials that I have. He never even faced Ferguson Jenkins. OH JEEZ!

Where's your partner in crime, Ronnie... I mean Wilkes? :cool: That's one of the funniest bits I've heard in awhile.

alohafri
01-12-2006, 11:29 AM

Lip

If I'm Chris Singleton, the fact that they even REMEMBERED me enough to interview me, I'd be mowing Reinsdorf's lawn AND signing a one-year contract.

AZChiSoxFan
01-12-2006, 11:29 AM
Chris Singleton???

What, Roberto Alomar wasn't available?

For those of us living out of state who primarily listen to games (XM), this really sucks.

Unregistered
01-12-2006, 11:32 AM
Blech. What an uninspired choice. Someone said "at least he's a former Sox player." Yeah, for 2 ****ing years. What a Sox legend.

Any other mediocre former Sox players want to do some TV or Radio? No one with more than 3 years on the team, please...

alohafri
01-12-2006, 11:38 AM
Where's your partner in crime, Ronnie... I mean Wilkes? :cool: That's one of the funniest bits I've heard in awhile.

Ah, I haven't spoken to Pat in a while, although I'm sure we will be invading SoxFest to encourage people to come to the North Side to watch the Cub brand of bad baseball. You know, I should be in the Hall of Fame...

Scotty347
01-12-2006, 11:38 AM
Luckily for us, this is the first time this offseason that the Sox have done something "on the cheap". At least we spent the money with the ballplayers.

But this choice is very uninspired.

gobears1987
01-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Uh oh!!!! Bye bye!!!

Palehose13
01-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Wow. He hasn't even sat behind the mike yet and you guys are already ripping into him. At least give the guy a chance before you rip him a new one. He may actually be pretty good...you never know.

And for those of you pining for Willsy to come back, have you ever thought that maybe he likes it in Tampa? *gasp* I know, I know...it's blasphemy. I'm not claiming to have any inside info, cause I don't, but I do spend a lot of time in tha Tampa are and I absolutely love it. I love it so much that on more than one occasion I have thought about relocating. Just something for you guys to think about...

Oh and fenway...***? I think I need to give you some of my codeine.

Over By There
01-12-2006, 11:48 AM
Eek. Rooney and Farmer to Farmer and Singleton? I'll give Singleton a chance (after all, last year at this time I thought my head would spontaneously explode before I got used to anyone but Willsy doing pre/post), but it's hard to imagine this being anything but a major downgrade in the radio broadcasts.

CLR01
01-12-2006, 11:48 AM
BEST. HIRE. EVER.

Now, not only will he get into the HOF as a player but as a broadcaster as well. It is a great day for Singletonism. Let us all pray in celebration.

:worship::flameswing

Remember, Singleton bashing is a bannable offense here. Keep your comments positive.

JRIG
01-12-2006, 11:50 AM
Why should anyone ever to go to school for broadcasting?

As I've pointed out previously, the White Sox will now have exactly ZERO actual professional broadcasters on their radio and TV broadcasts next year. They will, however, have 4 ex-jocks -- Hawk, DJ, Farmer, and Singleton.

Dan Mega
01-12-2006, 11:50 AM
I already watch Sox games muted with the radio on. I'm going to miss Rooney tremendously.

However, I hope I can still do this. Otherwise, its watching the Sox in silence but calling the game myself. :D:

soxinem1
01-12-2006, 11:54 AM
Wow, I remember Singleton's radio and TV interviews, he made Joe Carter and Randy Hundley sound like masters of the universe.

If I'd have known this would happen I would have submitted my resume!

But look at it this way, they probably figure Singleton is young enough to play yet, so by signing him for the radio, he can be activated at a moments notice to take over in CF if need be. Gives them additional depth, an unofficial taxi squad!

They couldn't get Dave Wills back? Geez, he might have come back for free!

Farmer doing PBP and Chris doing the color......... I sure hope the Sox are great again this year!

BainesHOF
01-12-2006, 12:02 PM

The disaster is Farmer as the play-by-play guy.

Lip Man 1
01-12-2006, 12:07 PM
Dave Wills is under contract for another season with Tampa Bay so he was not available.

Palehose 13: I'm sure Dave and his family enjoy living in Florida. I also know Dave is from the South Side of Chicago and is a passionate White Sox fan. I think the odds are extremely high that no matter how nice Florida is, that if the Sox came calling, he'd be answering in a heartbeat.

Lip

Palehose13
01-12-2006, 12:11 PM
Dave Wills is under contract for another season with Tampa Bay so he was not available.

Palehose 13: I'm sure Dave and his family enjoy living in Florida. I also know Dave is from the South Side of Chicago and is a passionate White Sox fan. I think the odds are extremely high that no matter how nice Florida is, that if the Sox came calling, he'd be answering in a heartbeat.

Lip

That may be true, but I don't think that we all should just assume that. You know what assuming does...

BainesHOF
01-12-2006, 12:14 PM
This is the first step toward the inevitable reuniting of D.J. with his old dugout pal Singleton.

hawkjt
01-12-2006, 12:14 PM
I was hoping for a very strong color guy to help make up for the loss of JR. Clearly now we stand a greater chance of being subjected to nine innings of the ramblings of Farmio- which I was hoping to avoid.

Again, nothing against Chris. It is Farmio that is the problem. Tommy at least would have had new and better stories to tell and would have matched Farmio in status and could wrest away control of the broadcast occasionally.

Chris is quiet but well-spoken. I am guessing that farmio wanted a weak partner to ensure his dominance. I will give Chris a chance- farmio I already know.

CHISOXFAN13
01-12-2006, 12:18 PM
This is the first step toward the inevitable reuniting of D.J. with his old dugout pal Singleton.

Sky blue?

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-12-2006, 12:19 PM

Eeewww...

:tealpolice:

Hangar18
01-12-2006, 12:20 PM
Sky blue?

Hello .....911? Im trying to reach the Teal Police!

Palehose13
01-12-2006, 12:21 PM
I was hoping for a very strong color guy to help make up for the loss of JR. Clearly now we stand a greater chance of being subjected to nine innings of the ramblings of Farmio- which I was hoping to avoid.

Again, nothing against Chris. It is Farmio that is the problem. Tommy at least would have had new and better stories to tell and would have matched Farmio in status and could wrest away control of the broadcast occasionally.

Chris is quiet but well-spoken. I am guessing that farmio wanted a weak partner to ensure his dominance. I will give Chris a chance- farmio I already know.

That's fair enough. Like other people, I wish Farmer was the one who left and not Rooney. I don't care for Farmio and I was thinking that since Chris is (forgive me here) "new school" that it might keep Farmio from talking about his golf game with guys from an era I don't remember. Now I don't mean to disrespect the OF's here, I'm just really not familiar with a lot of ballplayers from the 60's and 70's...so I lose some interest when Farmio constantly rambles. A story here or there is fine and I feel like I am learning something, but when he rambles on for hours I get lost. It might be nice to have fresh blood in there.

Unregistered
01-12-2006, 12:27 PM
I don't care for Farmio and I was thinking that since Chris is (forgive me here) "new school" that it might keep Farmio from talking about his golf game with guys from an era I don't remember. Now I don't mean to disrespect the OF's here, I'm just really not familiar with a lot of ballplayers from the 60's and 70's...so I lose some interest when Farmio constantly rambles. A story here or there is fine and I feel like I am learning something, but when he rambles on for hours I get lost. It might be nice to have fresh blood in there.Yeah, it's gonna be awesome to hear Chris Singleton talk about his 5 whole years in the MLB. "This one time, I hit a sharp single right up the middle off of Jamie Moyer. He was so mad! I was like 'I guess this is what it's like being in majors!'...then there was this time I caught this ball right up against the wall when I was playing for Baltimore. That was awesome."

Blech.

duke of dorwood
01-12-2006, 12:27 PM
This means that now I have more reasons not to ever listen to 670 than there are Grinder Rules :angry:

Rocky Soprano
01-12-2006, 12:29 PM

:puking:

Tragg
01-12-2006, 12:30 PM
The thing is, Farmer's a pretty average announcer himself. So now you put him with someone with no experience.

How about the Score increasing it's (obviously limited) budget in honor of the World Series.

duke of dorwood
01-12-2006, 12:31 PM
The thing is, Farmer's a pretty average announcer himself. So now you put him with someone with no experience.

How about the Score increasing it's (obviously limited) budget in honor of the World Series.

They cant, all the $ goes to one big mouth mope

Palehose13
01-12-2006, 12:31 PM
Yeah, it's gonna be awesome to hear Chris Singleton talk about his 5 whole years in the MLB. "This one time, I hit a sharp single right up the middle off of Jamie Moyer. He was so mad! I was like 'I guess this is what it's like being in majors!'...then there was this time I caught this ball right up against the wall when I was playing for Baltimore. That was awesome."

Blech.

Because guys like Bob Uecker and John Rooney played a lot more games in the majors than Chris Singleton... :rolleyes:

Fungo
01-12-2006, 12:34 PM
We get rid of Singleton to get Willie Harris...now we get rid of Harris and bring Singleton back. Weird.

dickallen15
01-12-2006, 12:39 PM
Since Singelton has never broadcast a game, I am assuming no one has ever heard him do color. With that in mind how can anyone call his hiring a gaffe, a disaster, a mistake? Admittedly, his hiring isn't going to make anyone's hairs stand on edge, but he might be pretty good. Why not let him be bad before he is ripped as such?

Gosox1917
01-12-2006, 12:40 PM
Just some more recent history on Singleton. At the end of the 2004 season, Hawk and DJ had him up in the booth and interviewed him. They did the usual "how is the family" and what not. At the time, Chris had planned to do some broadcasting with the Braves, IIRC. Then, evidentally he got a chance to play for the Devil Rays. He ended up doing about a half inning of play by play in the booth that night with the guys and didn't sound bad for a rookie. I expect everyone to be surprised at how well he does, not saying he will take the place of Rooney, but he'll won't be bad at all.

Sad
01-12-2006, 12:42 PM

man that about sums it up... :mad:

pudge
01-12-2006, 12:42 PM
As I've pointed out previously, the White Sox will now have exactly ZERO actual professional broadcasters on their radio and TV broadcasts next year. They will, however, have 4 ex-jocks -- Hawk, DJ, Farmer, and Singleton.

It's actually rather saddening. There are so many good pros who will spend their whole lives in the minors. I really hate our celebrity-driven society, but such is life.

Erik The Red
01-12-2006, 12:45 PM
This is acceptable if and ONLY if Singleton stays for one year and is summarily replaced by Dave Wills.

Palehose13
01-12-2006, 12:49 PM

Are you saying that the dope is Farmer or Hawk? It can't be Hawk because the score doesn't pay him. So that leaves Farmer. How much money is he making and did the score decide to pay to keep Farmer and not Rooney?

JohnBasedowYoda
01-12-2006, 12:49 PM
i'm befuddled

CHISOXFAN13
01-12-2006, 12:50 PM
Are you saying that the dope is Farmer or Hawk? It can't be Hawk because the score doesn't pay him. So that leaves Farmer. How much money is he making and did the score decide to pay to keep Farmer and not Rooney?

He's talking about North.

Palehose13
01-12-2006, 12:51 PM

Ohhhhhhh...yeah, he's an ass. If I ever listen to the Score it is between 2 and 6, so I guess I kinda forgot about that big mouthed dope. :redface:

CHISOXFAN13
01-12-2006, 12:51 PM
The problem here is not Chris Singleton. The issue with me is you have a former ballplayer handling the PBP duties when it would be nice to have that handled by a professional broadcaster.

I think Singleton will be fine in his role. I'm more concerned about Farmer handling full-time PBP duties.

pudge
01-12-2006, 12:52 PM

Who's ratings just went way up by the way, so the Score is loving Mike North right now.

Thanks, Chicago listeners, for keeping such a great talent on the job.

TomBradley72
01-12-2006, 12:54 PM
Wow....the return of "Stinkleton"....looks like I'll need my XM radio package even when I'm in the Chicago area...other than Mike North...this is definitely a worst case scenario. Swapping John Rooney for Chris Singleton...right up there with swapping Whimpy for DJ...not a good trend. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

CHISOXFAN13
01-12-2006, 12:55 PM
Wow....the return of "Stinkleton"....looks like I'll need my XM radio package even when I'm in the Chicago area...other than Mike North...this is definitely a worst case scenario. Swapping John Rooney for Chris Singleton...right up there with swapping Whimpy for DJ...not a good trend. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

You have it wrong. Singleton replaces Farmer who in essence replaces Rooney. Can we at least get the facts straight here?

Singleton will not be doing any PBP.

Chicken Dinner
01-12-2006, 12:56 PM
Not too impressive in his final year. Getting released by the D-Rays is pretty bad.

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/sp/v/mlb/players/2/6176.jpgChris Singleton: signed deal for 2005 season w/ invite to ST on 1/24/05- - + he receives a 550K salary if in the Majors and a 150K salary if in the minors- + contract was PURCHASED on 4/2/05, giving him a 550K salary- + as part of the contract, he waived the right to refuse a minor league assignment during the first 45 days of the season- + opted for FREE AGENCY on 5/27/05 after being outrighted on the season's 48th day (meaning the Rays' must pay him all of his 550K salary unless he is signed by another team)- + was later RE-SIGNED to a minor league deal for 2005 season on 6/28/05- + contract was PURCHASED again on 7/2/05, giving him what he thought was a 158K salary (pro-rated portion of minimum salary) in addition to the 550K previously owed to him - + was RELEASED on 7/3/05 Agent: Danny Horwits Service Time: 5.000

thomas35forever
01-12-2006, 12:57 PM
Chris Singleton? Last time I checked, he was with the Devil Rays organization. He's gotta be in his early 30s or something. Is he giving up on baseball that soon?

Palehose13
01-12-2006, 12:57 PM
You have it wrong. Singleton replaces Farmer who in essence replaces Rooney. Can we at least get the facts straight here?

Singleton will not be doing any PBP.

Thank you. :smile:

Unregistered
01-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Because guys like Bob Uecker and John Rooney played a lot more games in the majors than Chris Singleton... :rolleyes: Huh? John Rooney does play-by-play. You were comparing Farmer as a color commentator to what Singleton will be as one. I think we can safely assume that in Singleton's brief career, he hasn't gathered more anecdotal insight than Farmer has in and around the game for 25+ years.

HomeFish
01-12-2006, 01:00 PM
Huh? John Rooney does play-by-play. You were comparing Farmer as a color commentator to what Singleton will be as one. I think we can safely assume that in Singleton's brief career, he hasn't gathered more anecdotal insight than Farmer has in and around the game for 25+ years.

But I bet he's gathered ancedotal insight on current players, rather than former ones. Its a good generational mix.

Baby Fisk
01-12-2006, 01:01 PM
It's been alluded to above, and I can see how people would be concerned about the lack of colour someone like Singleton might bring to the colour position. It could be DJ all over again. But since he hasn't broadcast a damn word yet, let's give him the benefit of the doubt. The Official Singleton Must Go thread should be launched after his first game (if it will be necessary to launch such a thread, I'm merely speculating...)

Fenway
01-12-2006, 01:01 PM
Wow. He hasn't even sat behind the mike yet and you guys are already ripping into him. At least give the guy a chance before you rip him a new one. He may actually be pretty good...you never know.

Oh and fenway...***? I think I need to give you some of my codeine.

I just spent the last hour listening to parts of Game 4 of the World Series with Farmer doing the play by play with others that don't know him at all. One of my co-workers summed it perfectly

"this guy sounds like he is doing a spring training game, no emotion whatsoever in a scoreless game entering the late innings of a game that can mean the White Sox winning the World Series. He makes Bob Gamere sound good."

For my friend to even invoke the name of Bob Gamere speaks volumes. Curt Smith has described Gamere as "the worst baseball announcer ever".

Hiring an ex-jock with no experience is not uncommon. However Singleton is going to need a mentor. Farmer at least had Rooney. I hope I am wrong about this because baseball on the radio is so important to most fans but I really have a bad feeling about this choice. Tommy John at least was doing some AAA on the radio.

1951Campbell
01-12-2006, 01:04 PM
Singleton?

Why? Just...why?

Unregistered
01-12-2006, 01:05 PM
But I bet he's gathered ancedotal insight on current players, rather than former ones. Its a good generational mix."This one time, on the Devil Rays... Wade Boggs waved at me! It was awesome."

Truth be told, I couldn't care less - I don't listen to the radio broadcasts anyway. I just think the World Champions could've gotten a better, more experienced color guy than Chris "Is it too late to still try out for the team?" Singleton.

Dick Allen
01-12-2006, 01:06 PM
Who's ratings just went way up by the way, so the Score is loving Mike North right now.

Thanks, Chicago listeners, for keeping such a great talent on the job.The ratings went up due to the success of the Sox and Bears. I knew the Score would screw up the Sox broadcasts from the get-go, just like they screw up everything else.

1951Campbell
01-12-2006, 01:09 PM
But since he hasn't broadcast a damn word yet, let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

I admire you optimism. But have you heard of the "incest and folk dancing" rule? You know...some things you don't have to try before you decide you don't like them? Singleton at the mic seems to fall under this rule as well.

Hopefully I'm wrong, and if I am, well, I'll admit it.

Palehose13
01-12-2006, 01:13 PM
Huh? John Rooney does play-by-play. You were comparing Farmer as a color commentator to what Singleton will be as one. I think we can safely assume that in Singleton's brief career, he hasn't gathered more anecdotal insight than Farmer has in and around the game for 25+ years.

No, I wasn't doing that comparison. I was comparing Singleton in the booth as opposed to some of the other replacements mentioned. If Tommy John got the job I was thinking that there would be no stopping Farmer from talking about his golf game with other old timers. What I am looking at is who will best pair up (or tone down) Farmer.

I brought up Uecker and Rooney because you seem to think that one needs to be in the major leagues a long time to be a good broadcaster(at least that is what I gathered from your post). Uecker was originally hired to be the color man(with less than 300 MLB games under his belt!), and he spent less time in the pros than Singleton did.

The guy I wanted for the job was Steve Lyons. But because my guy didn't get the job I'm not going to bash Singleton before I've even heard him. In the article it was mentioned that Singleton was told by teammates that he should look into broadcasting after his career is over. Maybe they were blowing smoke up his ass, maybe they weren't, but I'm going to give him a chance. If he sucks, then he sucks and I will bash him accordingly.

Palehose13
01-12-2006, 01:15 PM
But I bet he's gathered ancedotal insight on current players, rather than former ones. Its a good generational mix.

I can't believe I'm doing this...Thank you, HomeFish. That is the point that I was trying to get across. He may even have better interactions with players (on the bus, plane, hotel, etc.) so that will give him something to talk about on air also.

IowaSox1971
01-12-2006, 01:25 PM
Let's give Singleton a chance. At least Singleton might have the ability to judge how deep a fly ball is hit. So, that could be a plus right there.

Rooney is extremely over-rated as a radio announcer. He either shows too much emotion on what turns out to be a routine fly ball, or he's a day late and a dollar short on what turns about to be a big home run. Listen to his call on the Podsednik homer in Game 2 of the World Series. While the ball is in the air, Rooney seems to have no idea that this will end up being a home run. His tone during the flight of the ball is that it will be just a gapper, at most. I've never heard a big-name announcer get fooled on this as much as Rooney does.

Hangar18
01-12-2006, 01:30 PM
I admire you optimism. But have you heard of the "incest and folk dancing" rule? You know...some things you don't have to try before you decide you don't like them? Singleton at the mic seems to fall under this rule as well.

Hopefully I'm wrong, and if I am, well, I'll admit it.

:roflmao:

C-Dawg
01-12-2006, 01:34 PM
Listen to his call on the Podsednik homer in Game 2 of the World Series. While the ball is in the air, Rooney seems to have no idea that this will end up being a home run. His tone during the flight of the ball is that it will be just a gapper, at most. I've never heard a big-name announcer get fooled on this as much as Rooney does.

Probably didn't figure on the wind carrying the ball as far as it did - listen to Farmer laughing in the background - Ed spotted it as a homerun first (Its one of my favorite broadcasting moments from the series).

Hangar18
01-12-2006, 01:35 PM
"This one time, on the Devil Rays... Wade Boggs waved at me! It was awesome."

BOLLIO :roflmao: (burst out loud laughing in office)

Unregistered
01-12-2006, 01:38 PM
No, I wasn't doing that comparison. I was comparing Singleton in the booth as opposed to some of the other replacements mentioned. If Tommy John got the job I was thinking that there would be no stopping Farmer from talking about his golf game with other old timers. What I am looking at is who will best pair up (or tone down) Farmer.Well don't you think Farmer now being the play-by-play guy as opposed to the color guy would automatically "tone down" his long winded stories about his golf game?

Or is that just wishful thinking? :dunno:

mjharrison72
01-12-2006, 01:47 PM

I'm with you, PH13... this is a radio announcing position, not coaching or starting nine. People are talking like it's the end of the world and like Singleton doesn't bring anything to the table. I doubt they would have given him the job if they didn't think he could do it well.

SOX LA Mikey
01-12-2006, 01:49 PM
I knew this information a week ago
having run into Ed Farmer in the pharmacy in
the building I work in in Santa Monica,CA
He was suprised I recognized him and we talked White Sox
for a good 5 minutes, he also scooped me that his
new pardner was probably going to be Singleton.
-didnt sound overly enthused about it though

MsSoxVixen22
01-12-2006, 01:51 PM
I was kinda surprised Singleton's gonna be the color man. I didn't even know he was being considered. :redface: Maybe down the line, they'll get Dave Wills (that was my pick) I figured it was gonna be Black Jack or someone like that :dunno:

soxfan1983
01-12-2006, 01:52 PM
wow, whoever had that post last month about singleton possibly interviewing was right on the money. i always liked singleton, he will be good

Palehose13
01-12-2006, 01:57 PM
Well don't you think Farmer now being the play-by-play guy as opposed to the color guy would automatically "tone down" his long winded stories about his golf game?

Or is that just wishful thinking? :dunno:

If you think Farmer is going to tone down doing the PBP, you're far more optimistic than me. :wink:

anewman35
01-12-2006, 02:02 PM
I knew this information a week ago
having run into Ed Farmer in the pharmacy in
the building I work in in Santa Monica,CA
He was suprised I recognized him and we talked White Sox
for a good 5 minutes, he also scooped me that his
new pardner was probably going to be Singleton.
-didnt sound overly enthused about it though

Does Farmer ever sound overly enthused about anything?

Ward Hershberger
01-12-2006, 02:04 PM
I just hope between the 2 of them, that they can accurately tell us what's happening on the field.

peeonwrigley
01-12-2006, 02:08 PM
I'm less than enthused by this choice... was hoping for someone a little more established. Hopefully, Singleton works out well. Won't bash him until I hear him.

Its going to be tough to get past preconceived dislike of him as a player, though.

Taliesinrk
01-12-2006, 02:37 PM
It's been alluded to above, and I can see how people would be concerned about the lack of colour someone like Singleton might bring to the colour position. It could be DJ all over again. But since he hasn't broadcast a damn word yet, let's give him the benefit of the doubt. The Official Singleton Must Go thread should be launched after his first game (if it will be necessary to launch such a thread, I'm merely speculating...)

I would like to try to make sense of your post.. but I just can't get by the fact that people up there spell color with a u.

Edit: That's half teal..

hawkjt
01-12-2006, 02:45 PM
Just heard him interviewed on B & B. They grilled him on being tough enough to be as big a jerks as they are. He handled it ok. They wanted him to diss the players ( like they continuously dissed Pods last summer) and he maintained that -honesty will set you free- and if he is honest it should not cause problems with his relationships with the players.

I could just hear the b & b wheels turning and predict that they will call him a softy company man if they did not have the sox this year. No one can rise to their level of jerkdom.

he sounded confident and eager- I will give him a chance. As long as he never mentions that training candy bar he was marketing last summer. We dont need no amway broadcaster.

TomBradley72
01-12-2006, 02:47 PM
Rooney is extremely over-rated as a radio announcer. He either shows too much emotion on what turns out to be a routine fly ball, or he's a day late and a dollar short on what turns about to be a big home run. Listen to his call on the Podsednik homer in Game 2 of the World Series. While the ball is in the air, Rooney seems to have no idea that this will end up being a home run. His tone during the flight of the ball is that it will be just a gapper, at most. I've never heard a big-name announcer get fooled on this as much as Rooney does.

I was a that game...half the staidum was fooled by Pods' homer as was the Fox broadcasting team...all I know is USA Today ranked the radio team as #1 in MLB...and Rooney is almost universally viewed as one of the top guys in the industry. After listening to most teams broadcasts on XM....he seems right up there with the best of them.

Singleton will be a joke in the booth. Mediocre player....mediocre personality...partnered with a medicore PBP guy. I'd say WSCR has screwed this up about as much as possible.

Baby Fisk
01-12-2006, 02:54 PM
I would like to try to make sense of your post.. but I just can't get by the fact that people up there spell color with a u.

Edit: That's half teal..
:farmer
"You sir are a gentleman and a patriot!"

cheeses_h_rice
01-12-2006, 03:07 PM
I guess we'll see how this pans out. I tuned into the Score for just a few minutes and couldn't see the point of why B&B were interviewing Singleton, of all people. Now I know.

But geez, just imagine a broadcast team of DJ and Slowswing:

http://www.cybercandy.co.uk/acatalog/680.jpg http://www.hormel.com/images/glossary/b/bread_white.jpg

:o:

SouthSide_HitMen
01-12-2006, 03:09 PM
I already watch Sox games muted with the radio on. I'm going to miss Rooney tremendously.

However, I hope I can still do this. Otherwise, its watching the Sox in silence but calling the game myself. :D:

I couldn't find Spanish broadcast information on the club's website. I could take a 13 week course and be ready for Opening Day (though it still wouldn't help me understand Ozzie) if they are back on WOJO or elsewhere.

If it gets real bad I can always listen to the road announcers on MLB radio. :cool:

Dick Allen
01-12-2006, 03:14 PM
Boers and Bernstein did mention at the top of their broadcast that it might be good to have a former pitcher and a former hitter in the booth for different perspectives, rather than two pitchers, if it had been Tommy John.

Lip Man 1
01-12-2006, 03:33 PM
This from the 'official' Sox web site. They now have a story on it.

"He worked with ESPN Radio on a weekly Sunday show, and also interned at an Arizona television station."

And.....
And.....

That's all folks. Guess the standards for broadcasting are lower at WSCR.

By the way in the same story Farmer admits it's probably going to be around mid season before the two get into a pattern and before Singleton even tries play by play.

This is going to be interesting.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060112&content_id=1294694&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Also for what it's worth I've heard from a major league play by play guy who says Singleton is very sharp, but quiet, he's not the type to be in the forefront. Blends in the background.

Lip

peeonwrigley
01-12-2006, 03:39 PM
I understand the points WSCR is trying to sell; but this just reeks of a signing "on the cheap." Farmer is in no way established as a PBP guy, and then they add a completely green color guy to go with him?

Where is all the money that is the difference in salary that Rooney would have commanded versus what Singleton will get?

"Well maybe Mike North knows."

I apologize if someone has already made that joke, I'm not reading back through 10 pages to find out.

BeviBall!
01-12-2006, 03:44 PM
This news is hardly exciting.

mjharrison72
01-12-2006, 03:45 PM
But geez, just imagine a broadcast team of DJ and Slowswing:

http://www.cybercandy.co.uk/acatalog/680.jpg http://www.hormel.com/images/glossary/b/bread_white.jpg

http://www.theunderweardrawer.homestead.com/files/peanut_butter.JPG

Mmmm... Fluffernutters!:D:

soxinem1
01-12-2006, 03:50 PM
"this guy sounds like he is doing a spring training game, no emotion whatsoever in a scoreless game entering the late innings of a game that can mean the White Sox winning the World Series. He makes Bob Gamere sound good."

This is what makes this whole thing so dumb. They should have bought out Dave Wills contract with the D-Rays and brought him back.

Farmer's funeral home droning will continue to stink but now be even more prevalent with JR's departure and Ed being 'promoted' to the PBP position.

Plus, he's so dadgum monotone, I can hear him falling asleep sometimes.

Farmer's insight is okay, but he has made no progress whatsoever in establishing a tempo in calling a game. So many times he's chatting on the air and I join the game in progress, he sounds like they are losing 8-0 and they are actually up 6-0!

Joe McConnell and Lorn Brown, are you listening?

dickallen15
01-12-2006, 03:53 PM
People need to get over this hire was done on the cheap. Maybe initially they could have offered Rooney more money, but he doubled his paycheck and went home to Missouri. The candidates it appears were guys like Kittle, no radio experience and a guy who thinks he invented the game, although when he played he didn't appear to have much of a clue how to play only to swing hard in case he hit it. There was Steve Lyons, who according to Lip's sources had the job if he wanted it. He obviously didn't want it. There was John Cangelosi. He didn't have much experience. Tommy John then became the favorite, but I really doubt money as the reason he didn't get the job. He was broadcasting minor league baseball hardly a lucrutive job. They could of had him cheap. They probably went with Singleton because he sounded better in auditions. Give the guy a chance. If he's 1/1000th as brutal as most think he will be, rip him then.

BainesHOF
01-12-2006, 03:59 PM
Sky blue?

I'm a bit color blind.

Palehose13
01-12-2006, 04:08 PM
http://www.theunderweardrawer.homestead.com/files/peanut_butter.JPG

Mmmm... Fluffernutters!:D:

Hey...I might be able to eat that*! You just gave me an idea!

*I am officially off liquid only and now on cold, soft, mushy food...YUM! I want a taco!!! :whiner:

mjharrison72
01-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Hey...I might be able to eat that*! You just gave me an idea!

*I am officially off liquid only and now on cold, soft, mushy food...YUM! I want a taco!!! :whiner:
Even if you can't have bread, PH, that's nothing a spoonful of peanut butter, followed by a spoonful of Fluff (or vice versa, if you wish) wouldn't cure! Enjoy!

FarWestChicago
01-12-2006, 04:15 PM
This is a great day for CLR01!

:moonwalk:

The Dude
01-12-2006, 04:23 PM

I'm sure this has been mentioned in this monster thread but did the Sox/score feel that since we let Willie Harris go, we needed to reaquire Slow Swing????

UGH!:mad:

Dolanski
01-12-2006, 04:32 PM
As long as he can talk about hitting a fastball better than he actually did, he might not be so bad...then again, Singleton couldn't hit the wide side of a barn with a steamroller.

CarolinaSoxFan
01-12-2006, 04:47 PM
This is acceptable if and ONLY if Singleton stays for one year and is summarily replaced by Dave Wills.

The White Sox web site says that Singleton has signed a five-year contract. Even if you can go along with having a guy of limited experience in the booth, why give him five years? That seems to close off some options.

Palehose13
01-12-2006, 04:49 PM
The White Sox web site says that Singleton has signed a five-year contract. Even if you can go along with having a guy of limited experience in the booth, why give him five years? That seems to close off some options.

Are you sure? I read the article as the score has a 5 year contract, not Singleton.

Unregistered
01-12-2006, 04:55 PM
Are you sure? I read the article as the score has a 5 year contract, not Singleton.Yeesh, CSF is right:

Farmer signed a five-year contract extension in September, and Singleton also has signed a five-year deal.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060112&content_id=1294694&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Ranchero
01-12-2006, 04:55 PM
I was looking on a Cardinals fan's forum, kind of like this one, after John Rooney got the job there, and was amazed by some of the John Rooney bashing. It was obvious that the people bashing him had never heard John Rooney at the mic. There's no doubt that the fans in St. Louis are going to love John Rooney. He is a top notch announcer, and there are few that will ever be as good as he is. Rooney is a class act, and we are going to miss him. As offended as I was by the way he was being bashed on those forums, I will not sit here and complain about the Chris Singleton hiring. I'm still saddened by Rooney not being in the booth, and no hiring the Sox/WSCR could have made was going to make up for that. So, let's just move forward and wait to see what Chris Singleton has to offer. I think he deserves that chance. Ed Farmer is not a bad broadcaster. I think when we look at his play-by-play, we make the mistake of comparing him to Rooney, and like I said, very few will come even close to living up to those standards. Ed Farmer has improved a lot over the years and does a nice job with both play-by-play and color commentary. It's time to turn the page. We will miss John, but lets welcome Chris Singleton and give him a chance.

Palehose13
01-12-2006, 05:11 PM
Yeesh, CSF is right:

Wow. That is surprising. I was thinking it would be a 2 year deal.

Palehose13
01-12-2006, 05:13 PM
I was looking on a Cardinals fan's forum, kind of like this one, after John Rooney got the job there, and was amazed by some of the John Rooney bashing. It was obvious that the people bashing him had never heard John Rooney at the mic. There's no doubt that the fans in St. Louis are going to love John Rooney. He is a top notch announcer, and there are few that will ever be as good as he is. Rooney is a class act, and we are going to miss him. As offended as I was by the way he was being bashed on those forums, I will not sit here and complain about the Chris Singleton hiring. I'm still saddened by Rooney not being in the booth, and no hiring the Sox/WSCR could have made was going to make up for that. So, let's just move forward and wait to see what Chris Singleton has to offer. I think he deserves that chance. Ed Farmer is not a bad broadcaster. I think when we look at his play-by-play, we make the mistake of comparing him to Rooney, and like I said, very few will come even close to living up to those standards. Ed Farmer has improved a lot over the years and does a nice job with both play-by-play and color commentary. It's time to turn the page. We will miss John, but lets welcome Chris Singleton and give him a chance.

:welcome:

Great first post. It'll be nice to have another voice of reason around here. We are an endangered species. :cool:

Fenway
01-12-2006, 05:13 PM
Yeesh, CSF is right:

Years ago Roone Arledge gave Fred "the Hammer" Williamson a 3 year deal and fired him after 2 games. There has to be an escape clause here, CBS isn't that stupid.

HotelWhiteSox
01-12-2006, 05:28 PM
Willsy has some company http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2005-07-26-announcers-al_x.htm

IowaSox1971
01-12-2006, 05:29 PM

I think people are upset about this because DJ has been such a flop. But we've survived having DJ in the TV booth, so, no matter what, we'll survive having Singleton in the radio booth. And, let's keep in mind that Singleton could end up being a decent announcer. Every former player turned broadcaster had to start somewhere, and perhaps Singleton will be a success. I like the idea of having a guy who recently retired in the booth. Singleton has seen many of the pitchers we will be facing this season, so he will have a hitter's perspective on what it's like to hit against these guys. He also could give insight into which pitchers are difficult to steal on and which catchers call the best games. Plus, he has played in all of the AL parks, so he can give us an idea of what it's like to be in the outfield at Comerica Park etc.

Farmer does have shortcomings, but he also makes some astute observations. I also enjoy some of his stories about playing the 1960s and '70s. Perhaps Singleton can provide some newer stories as well.

kobo
01-12-2006, 05:29 PM
I can't believe how many people are complaining about Singleton being the new color guy on the radio. We haven't even heard him broadcast a game yet the majority of you have already thrown him to the wolves. Chill out and relax right now people! I can see it now, Singleton is going to make a remark on Opening Day and there will be a huge thread about how he needs to go and the Score needs to get Dave Wills in the booth pronto. Did Wills ever do PBP or color on the radio? I am having a hard time remembering if he did or not. It is going to take some time for Singleton to get comfortable, I hope people are willing to take it easy on him for at least a couple of months. Obviously the Score liked his audition enough to offer him the job, and I hope he proves all of the naysayers and doubters wrong. But please, give the guy a chance before you decide to not listen to the radio at all this summer. I think the bigger problem will be with Farmer than Singleton.

MUScholar21
01-12-2006, 05:34 PM

I'll bash him for you-this is awful. Another case of the Snore working with the Sox on the cheap, and they haven't even broadcast a game yet. I can just see them sitting in their offices-Who can we get cheap? Who will stumble through learning broadcasting on the air? Who will complement Farmio's dry monotone perfectly with one of his own? I GOT IT! Chris Singleton!

My favorite part of the press release is this gem:
"I don't have any experience as far as being in the booth during games," Singleton said. "I feel what I bring -- a style if you will, without being too presumptious -- is the way I played the game. I wasn't a guy who came out and hit home runs. I had to concentrate on fundamentals and know what I had to do."

Apparently shoddy defense and wild swings at anything near him translates well to a broadcast booth, and it qualifies as a "style".

chisox77
01-12-2006, 06:02 PM
I was surprised by the news of Chris Singleton being hired for the radio color job with the Score and the White Sox.

But I'm all for giving him a fair chance. He may become very good at it. That's how I feel about this, anyway.

MUScholar21
01-12-2006, 06:06 PM
I was surprised by the news of Chris Singleton being hired for the radio color job with the Score and the White Sox.

But I'm all for giving him a fair chance. He may become very good at it. That's how I feel about this, anyway.

Maybe I should amend my comment-I'll give the guy a fair shake, but I just hate the way that it looks. Obviously even Rooney had to start somewhere, but I just don't know why they thought they should replace a Hall of Fame, beloved broadcaster with a guy who was such a good ballplayer and had so much knowledge that he was released by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. It just doesn't bode well.

For the amount of games I listen to on the radio, I hope to God that I'm wrong. I'm just not setting my expectations too high.

dickallen15
01-12-2006, 06:46 PM
Maybe I should amend my comment-I'll give the guy a fair shake, but I just hate the way that it looks. Obviously even Rooney had to start somewhere, but I just don't know why they thought they should replace a Hall of Fame, beloved broadcaster with a guy who was such a good ballplayer and had so much knowledge that he was released by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. It just doesn't bode well.

For the amount of games I listen to on the radio, I hope to God that I'm wrong. I'm just not setting my expectations too high.

Ozzie Guillen was released by the Devil Rays. You probably don't have much to complain about with him.

Palehose13
01-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Ozzie Guillen was released by the Devil Rays. You probably don't have much to complain about with him.

Yeah, but if you remember a lot of people had a problem with his hiring. Of course, anyone with 13 in their name had no problem with it. :cool:

MUScholar21
01-12-2006, 06:54 PM

Damn, forgot about that-good point. I got nothing

Martinigirl
01-12-2006, 06:56 PM
Tebman:

Well history records that the station refused to pay one of the top play by play guys in baseball so he left to go elsewhere.

That's a fact...so apparently money is an issue with WSCR.

Lip

This really does look like a hiring that was based on the cheapest ex-player interested in the job.

Steve Lyons and Tommy John would have cost a lot more than Chris Singleton.

dickallen15
01-12-2006, 07:01 PM
This really does look like a hiring that was based on the cheapest ex-player interested in the job.

Lip's sources stated the job was Lyons' if he wanted it. He must of turned it down. Tommy John was broadcasting Charlotte Knights games. I'm sure he wasn't making much doing that, and money wouldn't have been an issue if WSCR thought he was the man for the job. Singleton must have had a good audition or two or how many they had him do. He seemed quiet as a player, but well-spoken. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he became an excellent broadcaster.

kevin57
01-12-2006, 07:09 PM
I say, "Give him a chance." Much of the antipathy toward him may be coming from people's anger over letting Rooney go. That's a legitimate point, but it shouldn't color one's openness to CS.

paciorek1983
01-12-2006, 07:22 PM
I'm not excited about this signing at all. I am very disappointed. But it should have been expected. I hope he's good, but I can't get over how much I disliked him as a player, so he's already in my doghouse.

As for those who say that The Score must have liked him and give him a chance, let's look over the so-called "talent" on the Score. They are all awful. That station has got to be the least talented buch of dimwits that has ever been assembled on a radio station--think about it. Why should this be any different?

But I will give him a chance, but the idea that I have to makes my head and stomach hurt.:whiner:

Palehose13
01-12-2006, 07:42 PM
I'm not excited about this signing at all. I am very disappointed. But it should have been expected. I hope he's good, but I can't get over how much I disliked him as a player, so he's already in my doghouse.

As for those who say that The Score must have liked him and give him a chance, let's look over the so-called "talent" on the Score. They are all awful. That station has got to be the least talented buch of dimwits that has ever been assembled on a radio station--think about it. Why should this be any different?

But I will give him a chance, but the idea that I have to makes my head and stomach hurt.:whiner:

Well, I enjoy Mulligan and Hanley(sp?) in the morning and I really like Boers and Bernstein. I think Buffone and co. do a decent job at night, but management needs to make sure that Buffone does football only! So I guess out of the scores talent, the only ones I don't like are North and Murphy...and I really can't stand them.

Fenway
01-12-2006, 07:45 PM
Well, I enjoy Mulligan and Hanley(sp?) in the morning and I really like Boers and Bernstein. I think Buffone and co. do a decent job at night, but management needs to make sure that Buffone does football only! So I guess out of the scores talent, the only ones I don't like are North and Murphy...and I really can't stand them.

Palehose you don't listen to Sparky and Chuck? :tongue:

paciorek1983
01-12-2006, 08:07 PM

I forgot and Mulligan, he's not bad. I don't know how anyone likes B&B. I think they're a couple of jerks. Buffone is good for football only, and his post-game show with OB is kind of funny when the Bears lose. The only one I really do like is Murphy--imagine that!

Palehose13
01-12-2006, 08:08 PM
Palehose you don't listen to Sparky and Chuck? :tongue:

Who is Sparky and Chuck?

DickAllen72
01-12-2006, 08:33 PM
I forgot and Mulligan, he's not bad. I don't know how anyone likes B&B. I think they're a couple of jerks. Buffone is good for football only, and his post-game show with OB is kind of funny when the Bears lose. The only one I really do like is Murphy--imagine that!

Right on. Buffone is very good on football.

B&B are mean spirited sophomoric ill-informed jerks.

Murphy, although he bleeds Cubbie Blue is at least upbeat and tries to be pleasant. He's probably the best baseball guy on the SCORE, but granted that's not saying much.

The SCORE sucks in general, from their on-air "talent" to their tasteless sponsors.

batmanZoSo
01-12-2006, 08:34 PM
:flameswing
Uh-oh part II.

Palehose13
01-12-2006, 08:36 PM
B&B are mean spirited sophomoric ill-informed jerks.

I'll agree with everything but ill-informed, and I still like 'em. :cool:

SOXintheBURGH
01-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Uh-oh part II.

Oh, Lord.

CLR01
01-12-2006, 08:42 PM
:whiner:Rooney is left..:whiner::whiner:Wills left..:whiner::whiner:Singleton wasn't a great player so he is definitely going to suck as a broadcaster..:whiner::whiner:I lost my pacifier..:whiner::whiner:

Bunch of god damn :whiner:

TornLabrum
01-12-2006, 08:48 PM

Would you expect anything different from The Score?

Soxfest
01-12-2006, 10:21 PM
DJ now Singleton let the ass kissing between them begin again BOTH choices leave alot to be desired:angry:

Fenway
01-12-2006, 10:25 PM
Who is Sparky and Chuck?

morning guys on AM 1250 in Milwaukee. It's owned by WEEI's parent company and from all accounts is totally ignored in Wisconsin.

Palehose13
01-12-2006, 10:30 PM
morning guys on AM 1250 in Milwaukee. It's owned by WEEI's parent company and from all accounts is totally ignored in Wisconsin.

LOL...obviously. :redface:

I'm not a Packer fan, so I don't tune into Milwaukee sports radio...which from what I understand is basically a couple local shows, but mostly national shows.

Brian26
01-12-2006, 10:32 PM
Call me crazy, but I like the Singleton choice. My first choice would have been to keep Rooney, but I like this Singleton move.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-12-2006, 10:34 PM
Uh-oh part II.

And it Burns, Burns, Burns
The Ring of Fire
The Ring of Fire

http://www.johnnycash.com/songclips/ringoffire.mov

FarWestChicago
01-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Call me crazy, but I like the Singleton choice. My first choice would have been to keep Rooney, but I like this Singleton move.Who knows, he might be good. I certainly can't see blowing a gut like so many people are in this thread. :?:

Herm Schneider
01-12-2006, 10:40 PM
i wanted steve sax.... then he could pull down his pants and no one would know it !!

Brian26
01-12-2006, 10:41 PM
"We are excited to welcome Chris back to the White Sox organization," said Brooks Boyer, White Sox vice president of marketing and broadcasting. "Like most of our coaching staff, Chris has a history with the club and understands what the organization means to its fans. Teaming Chris with Ed Farmer will give our listeners great insight to the pitcher-hitter battle, in depth understanding of game strategy and planning, and will bring every White Sox game to life for our listeners. Anyone who knows Chris will welcome him back with open arms."

My only problem with this is that Brooks and the Sox organization completely removed themselves from the broadcasting situation when Rooney left. They claimed they had no control over it...it was all the Score's decision. Now Singleton is hired, and Brooks is the spokesperson and makes it sound like it was the Sox decision all the way. This makes you scratch your head a little about how the Rooney situation was handled.

Banix12
01-12-2006, 10:42 PM
Call me crazy, but I like the Singleton choice. My first choice would have been to keep Rooney, but I like this Singleton move.

I don't have a problem with it either. I do kind of have a problem with people on here saying he is automatically going to suck before he even says a word into the mic.

Give him time and see how he takes to the position. We may be pleasantly suprised. Anyway, Singleton really isn't the part of the radio crew that scares me, it's Farmer droning on and on about arguing with Billy Martin back in his playing days.

Parrothead
01-12-2006, 10:43 PM
I am going on record saying this moves sucks since there had to be an established guy out there somewhere (majors or minors) ! :mad:

With that being said.....I have no choice so I guess I will listen but 5 years for this guy ! No wonder the Score sucks.....they have no idea what they are doing either that or they are high over there.:smokin:

Jjav829
01-12-2006, 10:43 PM
Who knows, he might be good. I certainly can't see blowing a gut like so many people are in this thread. :?:

I think most people are just upset that it wasn't someone a little more established or with a better reputation. At least that's my view on it. My disappointment with the decision isn't so much that Singleton was the one chosen, but that the new color man isn't someone who is already established as an announcer. I would think that the World Champions in one of the largest markets in the country could have landed someone a bit better.

Also, just to clarify, I'm certainly willing to give Singleton a chance. I just wish we could be guaranteed to have one good announcer in the radio booth next year rather than a question mark and, well, Farmio.

Parrothead
01-12-2006, 10:44 PM
My only problem with this is that Brooks and the Sox organization completely removed themselves from the broadcasting situation when Rooney left. They claimed they had no control over it...it was all the Score's decision. Now Singleton is hired, and Brooks is the spokesperson and makes it sound like it was the Sox decision all the way. This makes you scratch your head a little about how the Rooney situation was handled.

good point. I forgot about that....I will have to e-mail Brooks and ask him about it.

Brian26
01-12-2006, 10:45 PM
Who knows, he might be good. I certainly can't see blowing a gut like so many people are in this thread. :?:

Exactly. Nobody has mentioned how elloquent Chris was in his interviews back in 1999 and 2000. He was a leader on that 2000 team and used to even lead groups of players in prayer. He seems like a natural, he has a grasp on the English language, let's give the guy a chance.

Jjav829
01-12-2006, 10:48 PM
Exactly. Nobody has mentioned how elloquent Chris was in his interviews back in 1999 and 2000. He was a leader on that 2000 team and used to even lead groups of players in prayer. He seems like a natural, he has a grasp on the English language, let's give the guy a chance.

Well, there is a difference between being eloquent and being a good announcer. A huge difference actually. Filling 3 hours of radio is vastly different from leading a team in prayer or answering questions in a radio interview.

On the bright side, the guy does a great Lou Piniella impression. If all else fails, he could always just announce as Lou Piniella for the entire game. :smile:

tebman
01-12-2006, 10:54 PM
I think most people are just upset that it wasn't someone a little more established or with a better reputation. At least that's my view on it. My disappointment with the decision isn't so much that Singleton was the one chosen, but that the new color man isn't someone who is already established as an announcer. I would think that the World Champions in one of the largest markets in the country could have landed someone a bit better.
You've pretty much nailed it. We feel stiffed because we expect that the World Champs should have world-class talent lined up asking for a job. Since Singleton has no broadcast experience, we assume that he was hired because WSCR was concerned only with keeping its payroll down. Maybe they were.

And maybe I'm kidding myself, but I've got to think that even the rapacious cost-cutters heading up the broadcast companies must have some sense of showbiz. We may learn that Singleton has a knack for radio that we're not aware of -- I sure hope so. The World Champions deserve nothing less.

soxfanreggie
01-12-2006, 10:55 PM
My first reaction was..."Chris Singleton?!?!?!?!?!?????????????"

Then I thought, might as well give him a chance. Congrats Chris, you will be under the microscope though. Best of luck.

Parrothead
01-12-2006, 10:58 PM
it had to be done.........hopefully no one beat me to it.

:tomatoaward :tomatoaward

Brian26
01-12-2006, 11:03 PM
You've pretty much nailed it. We feel stiffed because we expect that the World Champs should have world-class talent lined up asking for a job. Since Singleton has no broadcast experience, we assume that he was hired because WSCR was concerned only with keeping its payroll down. Maybe they were.

And maybe I'm kidding myself, but I've got to think that even the rapacious cost-cutters heading up the broadcast companies must have some sense of showbiz. We may learn that Singleton has a knack for radio that we're not aware of -- I sure hope so. The World Champions deserve nothing less.

This is all a matter of personal preference, but I have a feeling the fans are going to warm up to Chris Singleton a lot quicker than they would warm up to Tommy John.

tebman
01-12-2006, 11:04 PM
it had to be done.........hopefully no one beat me to it.
<appropriate vegetable tags>

The tomatoes occurred to me when I posted, but I thought, nahh... I knew some other sharp poster would pick it up.:wink:

Parrothead
01-12-2006, 11:13 PM
The tomatoes occurred to me when I posted, but I thought, nahh... I knew some other sharp poster would pick it up.:wink:

AW SHUCKS ! :redface:

Palehose13
01-12-2006, 11:18 PM
i wanted steve sax.... then he could pull down his pants and no one would know it !!

Psst..that was Steve Lyons.

TaylorStSox
01-13-2006, 12:01 AM
I'm going to reserve judgement till I hear him, but my initial reaction was :o::(::?:.

comiskey2000
01-13-2006, 12:02 AM
If you heard his score interview on Thursday then you would know that he does not have a good tone like a professional announcer. DJ copy.

Tragg
01-13-2006, 12:22 AM
Surely the Sox retained at least veto power over the selection.

TDog
01-13-2006, 01:11 AM
Piersall wasnt painful to listen to, he was very insightful and personable if not fiery. What endeared him to SOX fans was his Call-it-like-it-is style which meshed well with Harry Caray's call-it-like-it-is style, which worked during some dark years calling SOX games. Listening to Jimmy was never boring ........... his baseball knowledge was always entertaining. The other guy you mentioned ....though good in his day, just does not translate over onto radio. His enunciation is slow, garbled and confusing. His topics range from the spelling of names to the cities in Iowa where tourists are coming from. Rarely (never) have I heard baseball insight come from him (always hughes instead). Piersall was not brutal.

With the opponent up, on my way back to to the Chicago area from college in 1977 with a friend studying broadcasting, I was as livid as my friend during Jimmy's inning. With the opposition up, in an even voice:

"There's a flyball to center ... Lemon gets it ... off the wall for a double."

I know people like Piersall, but I also know that Singleton can't possibly be a worse play-by-play man as Piersall was. Piersall might have been entertaining, for those who didn't find him annoying or those who enjoyed his jokes about flatulence, but he was a brutal if you had any interest about what was going on in the game and were depending on him to get it.

The only comparison I wanted to make between Santo and Piersall was that both of them are brutal on the radio, but the both have enthusiastic followings. Of course they have entirely different fan clubs.

Minnie Me
01-13-2006, 08:23 AM
Singleton sounded brutal on his Score interview. My pet peeve all the
"you know's"
you know, you know, you know,
professional broadcasters don't go "ummmmmmm", all the time either.
My prediction is that he will be a suck-fest.
They would be better off with Lamar Johnson.

TomBradley72
01-13-2006, 08:35 AM
I guess Mike Devereaux wasn't available.

MikeKreevich
01-13-2006, 08:35 AM
What a poor marketing decision! For the first time in many years, White Sox baseball will be heard on free radio over 200 miles from Chicago. People downstate will have the opportunity to listen to Chris Singleton and the World Champion's on the 50,000 watt blowtorch WSCR or continue listening to the Cardinals and their radio voice, John Rooney.

hsnterprize
01-13-2006, 08:37 AM
Well,

I'll give Chris Singleton a chance (not that I really have a choice in the matter) and see what he can do. He's getting a big break here because there are a TON of other broadcasters, both from here in Chicago and across the country, who would love to have his job right now. I'm thinking Infinity is doing this to keep the payrool down, and if that's the case, it wouldn't surprize me too much.

I know I'm speculating on motives, and I can't prove anything, so I'll let that go. Hopefully, Chris will go well in the analyst chair, and we fans can embrace him a lot more than we did when he wore our pinstripes.

Hangar18
01-13-2006, 09:48 AM
How come we werent hearing the Media gushing daily about how the SOX broadcasting job is one of the premier jobs in the industry???

Fenway
01-13-2006, 09:54 AM
from the Cubune
"Chris just blew us away," said Brooks Boyer, the team's vice president for marketing and broadcasting. "Chris brought a lot of what we ultimately wanted in a broadcaster. One of the first things he said is that he wants to teach the game. He gave us examples of situations where he would be able to describe what was going on to the listeners.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060112soxradio,1,6333135.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

Pretty obvious now that it was the Sox and not WSCR calling the shots here.

and from Feder

In a conference call with reporters to introduce the new broadcast team, Farmer said he had no input in the selection of Singleton, whom he identified as one of three finalists, including former Sox pitcher Tommy John (who'd been widely rumored as the choice), and former Kansas City Royals catcher Jamie Quirk.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/feder/cst-fin-feder131.html

harwar
01-13-2006, 10:13 AM
Having Farmer as play-by-play would have been softened by the fact that he and Tommy John are great friends.
Steve Lyons would have been at least ok as he has followed the White Sox over the years and is familiar and entertaining.
I have never heard Singleton on the air and i can only hope that when its showtime he will turn into an articulate and knowledgeable baseball guy.
We can dream of Rooney staying or Wills coming or DJ leaving but the sad truth is that theres' not a blasted thing we can do about it.
So we will just have to make the best of it.

depy48
01-13-2006, 10:30 AM
I just find it funny, that now Willie is gone and Singleton is back. When several years ago we traded Singleton for Willie. I guess Chicago isn't big enough for both Willie and Singleton.

Hangar18
01-13-2006, 10:33 AM
I like how "Industry sources" are cited as saying Finances played a major part of this debacle. I will say this, im glad were not doing that with the club on the field like we usually did. Chris Singleton, please get on your game and broadcast like youve never broadcast before in your life (wait, you didnt broadcast before)

HomeFish
01-13-2006, 10:37 AM
I just find it funny, that now Willie is gone and Singleton is back. When several years ago we traded Singleton for Willie. I guess Chicago isn't big enough for both Willie and Singleton.

How awkward would it be if Singleton had to talk about Willie Harris in the booth?

Willie Harris, btw, has a future as a PBP guy, for those that have seen the DVD.

Hangar18
01-13-2006, 10:47 AM
Willie Harris, btw, has a future as a PBP guy, for those that have seen the DVD.

You know what .............. I LAUGHED HARD when I heard South Side Willie doing that ..........Im very curious to see if he'd be interested in doing color for broadcasts ........ he is pretty personable

fquaye149
01-13-2006, 10:54 AM

:fireozzie:

slavko
01-13-2006, 11:07 AM
I like how "Industry sources" are cited as saying Finances played a major part of this debacle. I will say this, im glad were not doing that with the club on the field like we usually did. Chris Singleton, please get on your game and broadcast like youve never broadcast before in your life (wait, you didnt broadcast before)

If this is in reference to the Ed Sherman article, he used the word speculate, not saying. That twists the meaning of the paragraph ever so subtly. Fact is, we don't know the whole truth.

(In other news) I've been trying to piece the whole truth together about the Rooney departure from statements and suggestions here and elsewhere and I'm still mystified. More speculation on this board is not going to make me less mystified. If only the fly on the wall could talk.

fuzzy_patters
01-13-2006, 11:48 AM
If this is in reference to the Ed Sherman article, he used the word speculate, not saying. That twists the meaning of the paragraph ever so subtly. Fact is, we don't know the whole truth.

(In other news) I've been trying to piece the whole truth together about the Rooney departure from statements and suggestions here and elsewhere and I'm still mystified. More speculation on this board is not going to make me less mystified. If only the fly on the wall could talk.

I would not be surprised if personal relationships were a factor. When the Sox aquired Singleton, they made a big deal that he was Darrin Jackson's friend and off-season workout partner. I would not be surprised if DJ pushed Singleton for the position.

AZChiSoxFan
01-13-2006, 12:09 PM
I would not be surprised if personal relationships were a factor. When the Sox aquired Singleton, they made a big deal that he was Darrin Jackson's friend and off-season workout partner. I would not be surprised if DJ pushed Singleton for the position.

Uh-oh!!!

Lip Man 1
01-13-2006, 12:38 PM
Here is a segment from the Sherman column in Friday's Tribune. Draw your own conclusions:

"It does seem a bit strange that a title team would have to settle for a novice as an analyst. Industry sources speculate that finances were a consideration; Singleton, eager to get a broadcasting career under way, was willing to work for less than an established figure such as Lyons would have commanded.

But why is it that a major market like Chicago has so many learn-on-the-job people in key positions in the booth?

Sox fans know all too well that it took Jackson a few years to hit his stride. It seems doubtful they will be as patient with Singleton, especially when the booth will be without popular and accomplished play-by-play voice John Rooney, a fixture for 18 years.

Initially, Jackson was reluctant to criticize players who recently were teammates. He seemed to become more candid as he moved further from his playing days.

Singleton, who still was playing last season, could fall into the same trap. When asked about being critical if the need arose, he spoke more about being positive and trying to "build up the game of baseball."

Not exactly Steve Stone. Singleton should know Sox fans expect a discerning eye in the booth."

This will be interesting.

Lip

Lprof
01-13-2006, 02:58 PM
I don't get it. I needed a calculator to count up the number of times Singleton said "ya know" in the Boers/Bernstein interview. The SCORE is really going on the cheap. Farmer is no #1 play by play announcer, and now they hire a guy who has never done commentary. They are a bunch of cheap SOB's, but they are also smart; they know that, with a championship team, we will listen, even if they bring back Lou Brock and the ghost of Del Crandall.:mad:

Lprof
01-13-2006, 03:03 PM
I just find it funny, that now Willie is gone and Singleton is back. When several years ago we traded Singleton for Willie. I guess Chicago isn't big enough for both Willie and Singleton.Actually, judging by Willie's impromptu play by play from the dugout on the World Series video, he would have been a far better choice for the broadcast booth.

pauliemyhero14
01-13-2006, 05:16 PM
I'm just wondering why would the whites ox bring in a guy ( Chris Singleton ) who has no experience in doing any announcing....does he even know how to use the microphone?:?: Any way i would of tryed to get john Rooney back cause u never no wut could of happened... he could of wanted to come back after all. maybe with the sox as world series champs made him realize he should of stayed... i would of at least stayed in contact with him. What do u guys think?

Jjav829
01-13-2006, 05:33 PM
I'm just wondering why would the whites ox bring in a guy ( Chris Singleton ) who has no experience in doing any announcing....does he even know how to use the microphone?:?: Any way i would of tryed to get john Rooney back cause u never no wut could of happened... he could of wanted to come back after all. maybe with the sox as world series champs made him realize he should of stayed... i would of at least stayed in contact with him. What do u guys think?

:?:...

:o:...

:thud:

WSox8404
01-13-2006, 05:47 PM
:?:...

:o:...

:thud:

My reaction as well....lol. But give him a break. Me thinks he may be a youngin......

flo-B-flo
01-13-2006, 05:51 PM
I was looking on a Cardinals fan's forum, kind of like this one, after John Rooney got the job there, and was amazed by some of the John Rooney bashing. It was obvious that the people bashing him had never heard John Rooney at the mic. There's no doubt that the fans in St. Louis are going to love John Rooney. He is a top notch announcer, and there are few that will ever be as good as he is. Rooney is a class act, and we are going to miss him. As offended as I was by the way he was being bashed on those forums, I will not sit here and complain about the Chris Singleton hiring. I'm still saddened by Rooney not being in the booth, and no hiring the Sox/WSCR could have made was going to make up for that. So, let's just move forward and wait to see what Chris Singleton has to offer. I think he deserves that chance. Ed Farmer is not a bad broadcaster. I think when we look at his play-by-play, we make the mistake of comparing him to Rooney, and like I said, very few will come even close to living up to those standards. Ed Farmer has improved a lot over the years and does a nice job with both play-by-play and color commentary. It's time to turn the page. We will miss John, but lets welcome Chris Singleton and give him a chance. Farmer sucks at play-by-play. And I don't even come close to comparing him with a professional like Rooney. The best part for me out here is that the scores' signal is weaker than ESPN 1000 was.

TornLabrum
01-13-2006, 07:12 PM
What I want to know is whatever happened to the huge changes in the radio and TV booths that Comcast was demanding just a couple of months ago?

kevin57
01-13-2006, 10:40 PM
Inventory...

1) How many people cried, lamented, and blasted Sox management for hiring Ozzie as manager for his inexperience, his temperment, etc.?

2) How many people now cry, lament and blast the Sox/WSCR for hiring Singleton because of inexperience, etc.?

3) How many cry, lament, and blast the Sox for Anderson in CF or that BMac may be a regular starter?

4) In short, how many are afraid of giving anyone new a shot?

Frankfan4life
01-13-2006, 10:51 PM
Inventory...

1) How many people cried, lamented, and blasted Sox management for hiring Ozzie as manager for his inexperience, his temperment, etc.?

2) How many people now cry, lament and blast the Sox/WSCR for hiring Singleton because of inexperience, etc.?

3) How many cry, lament, and blast the Sox for Anderson in CF or that BMac may be a regular starter?

4) In short, how many are afraid of giving anyone new a shot?That's pretty insightful. I'm more concerned with the play on the field rather than who calls the games on radio or television.

I'm with those who are withholding any negative comments until they hear Singleton's work.

I'd also like to welcome Chris back to the White Sox and wish him well.

nedlug
01-13-2006, 11:13 PM
My reaction as well....lol. But give him a break. Me thinks he may be a youngin......

Or someone whose first language is not English.

Tragg
01-14-2006, 12:26 AM
Singleton may or not be good. We don't know.

But we do know that he's inexperienced, and he's replacing one of the best PBP men in the business.

I don't live in Chicago, I don't know the radio stations, but on its face, this is an obvious attempt to do it on the cheap. The newfound popularity of the Sox +World Title =Lots of Listeners = Major Revenue Increase;

Singleton's salary - Rooney's salary = significantly reduced costs.

They are banking on a)listener's listening no matter what the quality of the broadcast; b)I would assume they believe people have loyalty to Farmer (he may be popular, I don't know - but I think he's monotone and boring).

Plus (and perhaps this is petty) the color guy should have at least been a solid major league player, shouldn't he? To bring some credibility? Singleton does not make that cut.

CLR01
01-14-2006, 12:41 AM
Singleton may or not be good. We don't know.

But we do know that he's inexperienced, and he's replacing one of the best PBP men in the business.

No he is not, Farmer replaced Rooney. Singleton is filling the gap.

Plus (and perhaps this is petty) the color guy should have at least been a solid major league player, shouldn't he? To bring some credibility? Singleton does not make that cut.

Why? As long as he has a good understanding of the game who cares how much talent he had on the field.

gowhitesox
01-14-2006, 12:48 AM
I don't quite figure this one out. I would think they would have hired someone with broadcasting experience. Oh well, I hope he does a good job.

FarWestChicago
01-14-2006, 01:23 AM
No he is not, Farmer replaced Rooney. Singleton is filling the gap.Now there is an IQ test that most in this thread miserably failed. :redneck

StillMissOzzie
01-14-2006, 01:25 AM
No he is not, Farmer replaced Rooney. Singleton is filling the gap.

That's why this move is doubly perplexing. Farmer has some BIG shoes to fill, not only moving up from the color man to PBP, but stepping into the role vacated by one of the best in the business. Now, add a rookie analyst to the mix. Yes, this whole thing smells of WSCR going on the cheap.

I don't listen to games on the radio all that often, just when I'm in the car during a game. I agree that WSCR is counting on a built-in audience for the World Series champs, so high ratings + low on-air payroll = Big $ to WSCR.

On a more serious note, could we PLEASE have King Xerxes weigh in on this? I miss your "Farmio Speaks" rants, King X!!!

SMO
:bandance: :gulp:

ChiSoxRowand
01-14-2006, 01:31 AM
I haven't bothered to read through this entire thread so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but I thought they said on Comcast last night that Singleton worked radio last season after he was released from Tampa.

CLR01
01-14-2006, 01:42 AM
That's why this move is doubly perplexing. Farmer has some BIG shoes to fill, not only moving up from the color man to PBP, but stepping into the role vacated by one of the best in the business. Now, add a rookie analyst to the mix. Yes, this whole thing smells of WSCR going on the cheap.

I don't listen to games on the radio all that often, just when I'm in the car during a game. I agree that WSCR is counting on a built-in audience for the World Series champs, so high ratings + low on-air payroll = Big $ to WSCR.

On a more serious note, could we PLEASE have King Xerxes weigh in on this? I miss your "Farmio Speaks" rants, King X!!!

SMO
:bandance: :gulp:

I don't disagree but if Singleton can stay focused on the game and not go on and on about golf he is already doing better than Farmer did. I just think people need to relax and let him actually do a few games before saying he sucks.

I miss King. :(:

Theanticub
01-14-2006, 03:37 AM
hooray?

my thoughts exactly

PaleHoseGeorge
01-14-2006, 09:18 AM

You know what is really scary? Six months of every year the ratings of that big mouth mope are going to benefit from all the morning drive radios still tuned to his station after having been tuned to the Sox the previous evening. He'll be the first to take credit for what terrific ratings his show pulls in, and the very first to blame the Sox' poor record and lousy ratings if they should ever fall. That's what kind of a jerk we're talking about here.

I shudder to think that ******* is now so closely associated with my favorite team. WSCR is a joke.

:ass
"Bark for me Licorice!"

TornLabrum
01-14-2006, 09:59 AM
You know what is really scary? Six months of every year the ratings of that big mouth mope are going to benefit from all the morning drive radios still tuned to his station after having been tuned to the Sox the previous evening. He'll be the first to take credit for what terrific ratings his show pulls in, and the very first to blame the Sox' poor record and lousy ratings if they should ever fall. That's what kind of a jerk we're talking about here.

I shudder to think that ******* is now so closely associated with my favorite team. WSCR is a joke.

:ass
"Bark for me Licorice!"

I don't think you'll have to worry about that. Many radios now have push buttons that make it very easy to change stations, and once they hear that voice, they'll start using them after the games.

TomBradley72
01-14-2006, 11:21 AM
He's on the WSCR right now (White Sox weekly)...sounds like "Joe from Schaumburg" who woke up from a deep sleep just before the call....talked for 15 minutes...said nothing at all noteworthy or interesting.

Now Farmer and Singleton are on together....I think this will be a very annoying pair to listen to for 2-3 hour stretches of a baseball game. There is zero chemistry between the two....neither are even trying to deliver any enthusiasm....