PDA

View Full Version : Michael Barrett Comments from WGN Sportscast

ChiSoxGirl
01-11-2006, 10:04 PM
Just watched the sports segment on WGN with Rich King. He showed a clip of Scrub players visiting kids in a hospital, since they're in town for the big Cub Convention this weekend. After showing a clip of the Ticker Tape Parade, King interviewed Barrett who had the following to say about our World Champions, "...Ya know, we feel like those Sox were parading down our streets back in October. Took a lot of guts for them to do that. Now it's our turn to win it all." :rolleyes: What a first class loser! Rich King (admitted die hard Sox fan) chuckled at Barrett's comments. Then again, that's all that team is made up of 8.1 miles north- losers! :dtroll:

Just going out on a limb here, but I'm going to say that it was NOT Michael Barrett that Henry had a conversation with last night. Either that, or Barrett is one hell of an actor in getting Sox fans to believe he actually likes us!

Banix12
01-11-2006, 10:08 PM
Eh, just idle chatter to try and get something started. Barrett should worry more about his lousy game calling.

Unregistered
01-11-2006, 10:13 PM
Or maybe Barrett was too scared to tell the guy that was carrying a mini-replica of the World Series trophy around with him that he didn't like the Sox... :D:

LuvSox
01-11-2006, 10:16 PM
If the streets belonged to the Cubs they would've won by now.

Loser.

Cuck the Fubs
01-11-2006, 10:24 PM
Before the Sox won the entire thing, a statement like this would have really ticked me off....

Now that we're World Champs, the North Side of town has no meaning. Period!

Long live 1908!!!

ChiSoxGirl
01-11-2006, 10:28 PM
Long live 1908!!!

AMEN!!! :smile:

Hitmen77
01-11-2006, 10:28 PM
Just watched the sports segment on WGN with Rich King. He showed a clip of Scrub players visiting kids in a hospital, since they're in town for the big Cub Convention this weekend. After showing a clip of the Ticker Tape Parade, King interviewed Barrett who had the following to say about our World Champions, "...Ya know, we feel like those Sox were parading down our streets back in October. Took a lot of guts for them to do that. Now it's our turn to win it all." :rolleyes: What a first class loser! Rich King (admitted die hard Sox fan) chuckled at Barrett's comments. Then again, that's all that team is made up of 8.1 miles north- losers! :dtroll:

Yeah, the Sox have some nerve! Where do they come off having a victory parade in their hometown? *****!

Brian26
01-11-2006, 10:34 PM
After showing a clip of the Ticker Tape Parade, King interviewed Barrett who had the following to say about our World Champions, "...Ya know, we feel like those Sox were parading down our streets back in October. Took a lot of guts for them to do that. Now it's our turn to win it all." :rolleyes:

I don't believe the Sox parade went down Halsted Street between Diversey and Belmont, so I have no idea what Barrett is talking about.

Palehose13
01-11-2006, 10:36 PM
I don't believe the Sox parade went down Halsted Street between Diversey and Belmont, so I have no idea what Barrett is talking about.

Nah, but I did go to parade down there in June! It had nothing to do with the cubs...well, the team the Chicago cubs. There were some "cubs" there. :D:

Banix12
01-11-2006, 10:41 PM
I always just take this stuff as comments to rile up the fanbase. The media loves that stuff. I'm sure most of the players don't have any real animosity toward the other teams or players.

SoxSpeed22
01-11-2006, 11:23 PM
AMEN!!! :smile:More like...2008!
Personally, I don't think that Barrett's as bad toward the Sox as other players, but the reason he said this was probably because of the fanbase. Winning it all only converted so many fans, they still outnumber us. Hijack: also I think that the Hangar run-in was with Derrek Lee, he was under scrutiny for saying the media was entertainment.

Banix12
01-11-2006, 11:32 PM
More like...2008!
Personally, I don't think that Barrett's as bad toward the Sox as other players, but the reason he said this was probably because of the fanbase. Winning it all only converted so many fans, they still outnumber us. Hijack: also I think that the Hangar run-in was with Derrek Lee, he was under scrutiny for saying the media was entertainment.

Derrek Lee is probably 99% correct on that and definitely 100% correct when it comes to sports media.

Palehose13
01-11-2006, 11:36 PM
More like...2008!

I think Hangar's run in was with his ass after he had one too many. :cool:

Hangar18
01-12-2006, 08:32 AM
If the streets belonged to the Cubs they would've won by now.

Loser.

1st Class LOSER. He needs to remember he was Drafted an Expo. Man, id love to meet this guy .............

Hangar18
01-12-2006, 08:53 AM
"...Ya know, we feel like those Sox were parading down our streets back in October. Took a lot of guts for them to do that. Now it's our turn to win it all." -Cubs catcher Michael Barrett

Its this sense of ENTITLEMENT that Cub fans and their Players exhibit that makes them so easy to hate. If Rich King was really cool, he shouldve immediately said ..........."But Mr. Barret, if these were really Cub streets, the team shouldve won 90 games more than 3 times since 1950"

Rocky Soprano
01-12-2006, 08:59 AM
I think Hangar's run in was with his ass after he had one too many. :cool:

:gulp: :booty:

Thanks for the laugh Palehose!

ChiSoxGirl
01-12-2006, 09:06 AM
1st Class LOSER. He needs to remember he was Drafted an Expo. Man, id love to meet this guy .............

So we know it's not Barrett you were chatting with on Tuesday night!

SOXPHILE
01-12-2006, 09:08 AM
Let's not forget, this jackass is the same guy who:

1) Started yelling and bitching at Roy Oswalt as he was stepping up to bat during a game late in the 2004 season. He also was complaining about the Cubs announcers during this game, saying they were unfairly complementing Oswalt, and not giving the Cubs pitchers enough credit. Cubs went on to lose that key game, which began a little tailspin for them, and they choked away the Wild Card lead.

2) This past season, started complaining that the Cardinals announcers were giving too much credit to Tony LaRussa, and criticizing the Cubs and Dusty Baker too much.

Who gives a flying crap what this guy says about our Sox. He's an *******. Hey Barret, you and your little blue team finished 79-83 last year. The White Sox won the World Series. Why don't you quit worrying about what announcers are saying DURING games, and concentrate on playing some more bad, under .500 baseball, while the team 8 miles south of you aims for a repeat in 2006.

cheeses_h_rice
01-12-2006, 09:17 AM
Barrett's a certified Blue Rock redassed punk.

This is a guy who couldn't even call out Korey Patterson for his poor play when interviewed on the Score a day or two ago, because Korey was a Cub and a friend of his.

He almost single-handedly gave the spark for the Astros to beat out the Flubs in the 2004 playoff race, too.

Guy needs to "get his mouth shut" a bit more, and play better.

Maximo
01-12-2006, 09:23 AM
Sort of indicative of the 'sad state of affairs' currently on the northside when somebody named "Michael Barrett" has assumed the role of "clubhouse leader".

Lip Man 1
01-12-2006, 10:37 AM
Did anyone notice (like I did) that as soon as Barrett stopped talking he started laughing on camera.

This was a 'set-up' folks by Dan Roan.

Lip

Chicken Dinner
01-12-2006, 11:06 AM
100 years of beautiful misery.

gobears1987
01-12-2006, 11:28 AM
I don't like Yankee fans, but we need to borrow one from their book and start a chant when we play the Flubs.

1908!! 1908!!!

Dick Allen
01-12-2006, 12:49 PM
The only streets the Cubs "own" are on Sheffield and Addison, where all their "fans" are lying in them, in their own urine and sloshed out of their feeble minds.

SoxSpeed22
01-12-2006, 03:24 PM
I don't like Yankee fans, but we need to borrow one from their book and start a chant when we play the Flubs.

1908!! 1908!!!You should send this to Cards Clubhouse.

LongLiveFisk
01-12-2006, 05:41 PM
This is one of those situations where he really didn't believe what he was saying, he just had to come up with some crap he thought was creative so that his team looked like winners and that someone would buy into it. And naturally, the sheep who fill the ballpark at 1060 W Addison fall for it hook, line, and sinker every time. :rolleyes:

Palehose13
01-12-2006, 05:42 PM
This is one of those situations where he really didn't believe what he was saying, he just had to come up with some crap he thought was creative so that his team looked like winners and that someone would buy into it. And naturally, the sheep who fill the ballpark at 1060 W Addison fall for it hook, line, and sinker every time. :rolleyes:

Looks like those sheep weren't the only ones. :wink:

Brewski
01-12-2006, 06:34 PM

The name of that neighborhood would fit on the itinerary right next to Bridgeport and Brownsville. Maybe next year!

hsnterprize
01-12-2006, 08:53 PM
Did anyone notice (like I did) that as soon as Barrett stopped talking he started laughing on camera.

Lip

Yes...I did notice. I admit I was thinking about starting a thread about Barrett's comments, and I'm glad I didn't. Part of me wanted to rip Barrett a new one and tell him, "Hey...if you think it's your town, we're taking over. Get off your loser carcass and win a couple of World Series, and then we'll talk." Another part of me just blew it off as just some crappy, trash talking without anything to back it up.

Besides, I thought the Cubs, or their fans, didn't care about the Sox. Not that being the World Series Champions really means anything to the not-so-lovable losers, but at least have enough respect to keep your mouth shut, Mike...that is until you get your own World Series ring. But knowing where he's playing, he'll only get a WS ring if he buys a replica Sox ring, or he gets on an Oprah show, and she gives one to everyone in the audience by surprise.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-12-2006, 09:13 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2005/08/04/JprFhTbd.jpg
Michael Barrett, whose miscue resulted in a Cubs loss, reacts to striking out in the fifth with the bases loaded.

On a 3-2 count to Pat Burrell, Wuertz's pitch eluded Cubs catcher Michael Barrett. With Rollins halfway up the third-base line, Barrett inexplicably threw down to third, allowing Rollins to scamper home with the winning run. Officially, it was ruled as a passed ball.

That's just ONE game he cost the team. (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20050803&content_id=1156222&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc)

Hey Barrett, why don't you shut your mouth and learn how to play defense, you loser. This guys should be traded and the Cubs should sign Benji Molina. But they can't because they don't have enough money? No, that's not it. They can't because..... oh that's right, they have no reason. They just suck.

How can ANYBODY like this team? They are soooo unlikable and just annoying. Losers or not (losers!), I see nothing lovable about them. Nothing.

doublem23
01-12-2006, 09:20 PM

Lip
What the ****, Lip? When Mark Buehrle gets "set-up" by some douche in St. Louis, you never pass up a chance to be the first one in line to mention how Mark wants to play for his boyhood Cardinals, but when Dan Roan gets some scrub Cub to say the WORLD CHAMPION White Sox paraded on "their" turf, you're the first to come to his back? Take it as tongue in cheek if you want, but that is a slap in the face from this blue-cad piece of ****. The Cubs don't deserve to clean up the confetti that was left on LaSalle Street after the parade; the fact this loser had the audacity to even hint that the Cubs are still somehow more important than the Sox is ****ing ridiculous.

Whatever.

:rolleyes: :kukoo::tsk:

Hangar18
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
.......... but that is a slap in the face from this blue-cad piece of ****. The Cubs don't deserve to clean up the confetti that was left on LaSalle Street after the parade; the fact this loser had the audacity to even hint that the Cubs are still somehow more important than the Sox is ****ing ridiculous.

NICE. I took Barrets statement very personally myself, I grew up in Chicago, that Jagbag Barret did not grow up in Chicago. **** him. Again, the pompousness of a guy who plays for a team that has won 90 games only 3 times since 1950 is AUDACIOUS. :angry:

ChiSoxGirl
01-13-2006, 10:28 AM
The Cubs don't deserve to clean up the confetti that was left on LaSalle Street after the parade; the fact this loser had the audacity to even hint that the Cubs are still somehow more important than the Sox is ****ing ridiculous.

Whatever.

Awesome! You said that PERFECTLY! :thumbsup:

01-13-2006, 11:31 AM
The comment, although bad, was kind of done tongue in cheek, it wasn't said with much seriousness.

TomBradley72
01-13-2006, 11:38 AM
He might have been joking...but I'll tell ya...these guys are in for an interesting surprise when they return to the north from spring training. Between Barrett and Howry's comments as well as watching Kerry Wood squirm and get a little cranky on Chicago Tribune Live when pressed on how it feels now that the WSox are World Champs....they keep telling themselves it's still a "Cub town"...but all of the appeal of Wrigley Field and beer can't compare to the appeal of a World Champion. I hope we completely demolish them during the interleague games.

zach23
01-13-2006, 11:38 AM
Who the hell is Michael Barrett?

Maybe this Michael Barrett can help the guy who shares the same name to pull his head out from another area of his body. http://www.uhs.net/physicians/search.asp?mode=profile&id=461

santo=dorf
01-13-2006, 12:03 PM
He almost single-handedly gave the spark for the Astros to beat out the Flubs in the 2004 playoff race, too.

I was going to post this as well. The Astros went like 30-12 after Barrett ran his mouth about Oswalt being a punk (although I agree with him.)

I_Liked_Manuel
01-13-2006, 12:09 PM

nicely done

longshot7
01-13-2006, 02:05 PM
Or maybe Barrett was too scared to tell the guy that was carrying a mini-replica of the World Series trophy around with him that he didn't like the Sox... :D:

It's full-size.

jvoboogie
01-13-2006, 05:10 PM
He might have been joking...but I'll tell ya...these guys are in for an interesting surprise when they return to the north from spring training. Between Barrett and Howry's comments as well as watching Kerry Wood squirm and get a little cranky on Chicago Tribune Live when pressed on how it feels now that the WSox are World Champs....they keep telling themselves it's still a "Cub town"...but all of the appeal of Wrigley Field and beer can't compare to the appeal of a World Champion. I hope we completely demolish them
during the interleague games. I know its a hoot to hear all these intelligent comments coming from north side players, think of all the entertaining comments you heard from their fans. I find it much more satifying to simply laugh in there face, rise above it and accept it for what its worth

WSox8404
01-13-2006, 05:36 PM
It would be one thing if Barrett was born here and was a die hard Cubs fan from birth. But that isn't the case. When it comes to something like this, you have to be an actual fan of the team before you play for them. This is just a stupid comment from a childish man that cannot accept that his teams sucks. Oh well, this is what we come to expect from the Crusty Baker led Cubs.

Viva Medias B's
01-13-2006, 06:01 PM
After showing a clip of the Ticker Tape Parade, King interviewed Barrett who had the following to say about our World Champions, "...Ya know, we feel like those Sox were parading down our streets back in October. Took a lot of guts for them to do that. Now it's our turn to win it all."

I wonder if Mr. Barrett's comments reflect the jealous rage that I suspect will define the tone of Cubs fans and brass at their weekend gathering.

RadioheadRocks
01-13-2006, 06:26 PM
Michael Barrett, this one's for you...
http://www.sallad.net/blog/loser-thumb.jpg (http://www.sallad.net/blog/loser.jpg)

LOSER!!!!!!!!!

dpbyron
01-13-2006, 10:41 PM

1908!! 1908!!!

Absolutely! The first time some frat bot says "Sox Suck!"...:cool:

NINE TEEN O EIGHT, Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap...

DieTrying79
01-14-2006, 12:19 AM
Who the hell is Michael Barrett?

Actually, Zach, no teal is probably needed there! Outside of Chicago, this guy is probably virtually unknown, esp. after coming from the baseball hotbed of Montreal.

A few of my friends who are Cub fans (easy, easy!) are advocating for Henry Blanco to start, and I can't say I disagree...Barrett sucks.

woodenleg
01-14-2006, 09:32 AM
He plays for the Cubs. That's his JOB. What's he supposed to say?

I think if you're looking for inflammatory statements, you should look elsewhere. It's kind of a tribute to the Sox - the Cubs were supposed to be on a championship path, and we got there first.

Nexxxxxt....

TomBradley72
01-14-2006, 10:16 AM
Absolutely! The first time some frat bot says "Sox Suck!"...:cool:

Definitely need to get this one going at the next Cubs/Sox game...

SOXintheBURGH
01-14-2006, 10:45 AM
Definitely need to get this one going at the next Cubs/Sox game...

I was doing 1908 *clap clap clap clap clap* Christmas morning when my cousins and uncles entered the house. :cool:

caulfield12
01-14-2006, 11:26 AM
That's about all the sides agree on. Even when catcher Michael Barrett tried to praise the (Juan) Pierre acquisition, it struck a bad note. "I hate to bring up the White Sox,'' he said, "but Scott Podsednik completely changed the complexion of that team as a leadoff hitter.''
"BOOOOOOOOOO!'' Cubdom replied.

from Mariotti article today...

soxinem1
01-14-2006, 11:32 AM
That's about all the sides agree on. Even when catcher Michael Barrett tried to praise the (Juan) Pierre acquisition, it struck a bad note. "I hate to bring up the White Sox,'' he said, "but Scott Podsednik completely changed the complexion of that team as a leadoff hitter.''
"BOOOOOOOOOO!'' Cubdom replied.

from Mariotti article today...

We'll see who's booing who in June. They should be booing because of Hendry's half*** effort to copy us.

Lip Man 1
01-14-2006, 12:12 PM
Barrett was on Comcast Sports Newsnight Friday afternoon and his comments about the Sox were completely different from the 'staged' variety he had on WGN. He was respectful and admitted that what the Sox did puts a lot of pressure on the Cubs to finally win something.

Lip

LongLiveFisk
01-14-2006, 12:31 PM
I was doing 1908 *clap clap clap clap clap* Christmas morning when my cousins and uncles entered the house. :cool:

I don't know that I'd do that....I remember during the ALDS, some guy in Boston was holding up a sign that said "1917". It didn't work too well. :D:

doublem23
01-14-2006, 01:45 PM
Barrett was on Comcast Sports Newsnight Friday afternoon and his comments about the Sox were completely different from the 'staged' variety he had on WGN. He was respectful and admitted that what the Sox did puts a lot of pressure on the Cubs to finally win something.

Lip

:rolleyes:

Fish, line, and sinker, I guess.