PDA

View Full Version : Interesting statement

LongDistanceFan
12-31-2001, 09:21 AM
i got this from jm sig and it got me thinking>>>>>>>> Spring training is just 40 days away. Do you know where your labor negotiations are <<<<<<<<

does anybody know where they are in this negotiation?

better yet, do know where they are in this progress?

PaleHoseGeorge
12-31-2001, 09:35 AM
I believe both sides presented their case to a federal labor arbitrator just before Christmas. She will make a ruling whether the owners can contract without collective bargaining.

If the ruling goes the union's way, it creates another hurdle for the owners to overcome. If the the ruling goes the owners' way, they must still overcome other legal challenges from the State of Minnesota and others.

Either way, the ruling does not prevent a players' strike or an ownership lockout. Both sides are still rattling their swords. This is far from being resolved.

ma-gaga
12-31-2001, 09:59 AM
I still have this dream that they'll walk out of the meetings and make a public address that goes a little something like this:

:tool
"Because of the current problems in baseball we have worked out a fair solution. 1.) Comprehensive revenue sharing, 60% of ALL local and national revenues go to the home team, and 40% goes to the league 'pot' for sharing among all teams based on revenue. 2.) Salary cap = $110M, salary floor = $45M. With 3% increases each year. 3.) New stadiums for all. Each year MLB will finance a new stadium for one team. Every 30 years each team will have a new stadium. 4.) Sorry about that whole 'contraction' mess, my bad. Same with the whole 1994 world series thing, It must have been some bad acid or something. I don't know what we were thinking. 5.) I am stepping down due to concerns that I have a conflict of interest, being too intimately concerned relating to the financial health of an un-named MLB team."

:reinsy
"I still respect you."

"Thanks snuggle-bumpkins. I'll call you."

"sigh. he's so sexy when he talks about money..."

LongDistanceFan
12-31-2001, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
I still have this dream that they'll walk out of the meetings and make a public address that goes a little something like this:

"Because of the current problems in baseball we have worked out a fair solution. 1.) Comprehensive revenue sharing, 60% of ALL local and national revenues go to the home team, and 40% goes to the league 'pot' for sharing among all teams based on revenue. 2.) Salary cap = $110M, salary floor = $45M. With 3% increases each year. 3.) New stadiums for all. Each year MLB will finance a new stadium for one team. Every 30 years each team will have a new stadium. 4.) Sorry about that whole 'contraction' mess, my bad. Same with the whole 1994 world series thing, It must have been some bad acid or something. I don't know what we were thinking. 5.) I am stepping down due to concerns that I have a conflict of interest, being too intimately concerned relating to the financial health of an un-named MLB team."

"I still respect you."

"sigh. he's so sexy when he talks about money..." funny

RedPinStripes
12-31-2001, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by ma-gaga

"I still respect you."

"sigh. he's so sexy when he talks about money..."

Too funny. LOL!

oldcomiskey
12-31-2001, 11:45 AM
alright, everybody out of the pool--Alvin's messed it up for everybody--alvin---alvin---AL___VIN

SOXSINCE'70
01-01-2002, 09:25 PM
I don't believe they've made much progress.Heard a rumor in the Daily Herald last week;according to Barry Rozner's column of 12/27,the oqners may open the gates for ST,let the players work otu for a few weeks and THEN lock 'em out.Baseball is still recovering from 1994.Another work stoppage or strike and the fanbase will REALLY spiral. :(:

SOXSINCE'70
01-01-2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by SOXSINCE'70
I don't believe they've made much progress.Heard a rumor in the Daily Herald last week;according to Barry Rozner's column of 12/27,the oqners may open the gates for ST,let the players work otu for a few weeks and THEN lock 'em out.Baseball is still recovering from 1994.Another work stoppage or strike and the fanbase will REALLY spiral. :(:

BAD,BAD KEYBOARD!!HOW DARE YOU MAKE ME SCREW UP!!

Daver
01-01-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by SOXSINCE'70

BAD,BAD KEYBOARD!!HOW DARE YOU MAKE ME SCREW UP!!

You can edit your posts you know.

SOXSINCE'70
01-01-2002, 09:32 PM
My bad.

CubKilla
01-02-2002, 03:46 PM
I just have a feeling that, whether talks are going on now or not, that there will be some sort of Baseball Strike in the year 2002. Most baseball owners are going to want to initiate a salary cap and, of course, the baseball players are not going to bow to that easily. But a salary cap is the only way you will make baseball competitive again. Anybody think the Yankees aren't a shoo-in in the AL East? And the other NY team, the Mets, have just announced that they are interested in Juan Gonzalez. Mo Vaughan, J. Gonzalez, R. Alomar, and Mike Piazza on the same team? Don't forget Jeter, Williams, and Giambi in the Bronx. And I won't even talk about the Yankees superior AL pitching staff. Even if the White Sox do win the AL Central like some sports writers are predicting, do the White Sox have a chance of beating the Yankees at least on paper? (Assuming the White Sox and Yankees meet in the playoffs) :payrod

"Good thing I had the foresight to sign a 10 year deal you lousy, crybaby, baseball fans."