PDA

View Full Version : Help me. I am having trouble letting go of Big Frank and Aaron

HawkISox
01-11-2006, 03:53 PM
I just dont feel great about Thome. I dont understand why KW got rid of the franchises greatest player for another guy with age and possible injury issues.

I know some think I am nuts. I just remember being there in 98 when it was Frank and only Frank.

It will hurt (no pun intended) to see him in an A's uniform.

CHISOXFAN13
01-11-2006, 03:55 PM
I just dont feel great about Thome. I dont understand why KW got rid of the franchises greatest player for another guy with age and possible injury issues.

I know some think I am nuts. I just remember being there in 98 when it was Frank and only Frank.

Did you sleep through October?

Flight #24
01-11-2006, 03:56 PM

Frank still hasn't been cleared to resume baseball duties. That's not "possible" injury issues, that's "definite" injury issues. And we're 5 weeks from pitchers & catchers reporting.
'Nuf Said.

We all miss Frank, but there's nothing else KW could do without compromising the chances of repeating.

HawkISox
01-11-2006, 03:56 PM
I was into it as much as anyone. The whole Frank/Thome thing has been a buzzkill for me sort of.

I am just not that excited to see Thome. Especially in place of Frank.

Chicken Dinner
01-11-2006, 04:02 PM
You will be the first time he pounds an outside fastball over the right field wall at the Cell!!

Ol' No. 2
01-11-2006, 04:02 PM
I was into it as much as anyone. The whole Frank/Thome thing has been a buzzkill for me sort of.

I am just not that excited to see Thome. Especially in place of Frank.Time passes, and Frank's time is past. It happens to all of them.

SOXintheBURGH
01-11-2006, 04:07 PM

I am just not that excited to see Thome. Especially in place of Frank.

Did you ever see a Cleveland vs. Sox game at the Cell?

Thome was known to go roughly 5-5 with 3 HR and 2 2B every two games at our park.

I am VERY excited to see the Pride of Peoria.

MarySwiss
01-11-2006, 04:08 PM
You'll get over it. I felt the same way when Lee and Maggs left, but there's no way I will ever again question ANYTHING Kenny does.

Unless he does something really stupid. :cool:

Palehose13
01-11-2006, 04:10 PM
Aaron and Frank were my favorite current Sox players, but first and foremost I am a Sox fan. I believe that Kenny Williams strengthened the team and they have an excellent chance to repeat in 2006. I will miss them both, cheer them on, and wish them luck in the future.

BTW...it says a lot about Aaron Rowand to be traded for Jim Thome. Thome is one hell of a player and I look forward to watching him muscle the ball out of the Cell the next few years.

IlliniSox4Life
01-11-2006, 04:10 PM
Listen, I love Frank as much as anyone, and I would be in the group that was willing to give him a roster slot on the off chance that he gets healthy. Kenny Williams, however, doesn't seem to be in that group, and I can't fault him for that.

Thome wasn't a replacement for Frank, he was a replacement for Carl Everett.
Nobody replaced Frank, he was simply not resigned because he has injury issues that a team as strong as the White Sox weren't willing to risk having to deal with, while a team like the As or Twins that aren't as strong are more willing to gamble on.

Daver
01-11-2006, 04:19 PM
Time passes, and Frank's time is past. It happens to all of them.

I disagree with this statement.

When healthy last season Frank proved he could still play at this level.

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-11-2006, 04:28 PM
It's gonna be hard not seeing Thomas in a Sox uniform this year. I honostly don't think that he will last the whole season. This injury seems to be really bad for him. Maybe he'll just retire mid-season. And if he does end up playing a few more seasons with another team, than I will look forward to him hitting HR's in the Cell.

Hangar18
01-11-2006, 04:30 PM
KW had to make this move, and I totally understand it. We would all be FURIOUS if they let Big Frank go, only to have Ross Gload (not that I dont like Ross) replace him as full-time DH. He got a known slugger (though he strikes out a lot) to replace him. Im ok with the move.

Ol' No. 2
01-11-2006, 04:31 PM

When healthy last season Frank proved he could still play at this level.No argument. But his body is breaking down. I doubt he can stay healthy enough to play, which was my point. And he's certainly not the same Frank Thomas.

Everyone gets his time in the sun to do what he can, then it's over and he has to move aside for the next generation. If that weren't true, Ted Kluszewski might still be playing 1B and Frank Thomas might never have gotten his chance.

SoxSpeed22
01-11-2006, 04:31 PM

When healthy last season Frank proved he could still play at this level.Keywords: when and healthy. But I agree with what you said.

Stoky44
01-11-2006, 04:34 PM

Can you honestly say Frank was ever healthy last year? Think what he would have done if healthy. But that "if" is a very big if. In my opinion he may never be healthy again unless he loses a lot of weight, which is not going to happen b/c he is naturally a big man. I love Frank and was saddend to see him go. But I was sad on the level when Jordan left and came back for Wash. Sad that MJ was not in his prime and in a Bull uni. I think I am more sad that Frank got old and he is not what he was. Seeing Frank now in a sox uni might be more painful than not seeing him. He could either be hurt or just not as productive. At which point I would rather sit in a bar or somewhere look at a picture of a younger frank, and think about the great memories. I love ya Frank, but I honestly think we made the best "baseball" move. I know I will get blasted for my thoughts, but this is how I look at it. I am not saying you all should feel the same way.

Chicken Dinner
01-11-2006, 04:35 PM
:rowand

How come no one is talking about me.....I'm in the title of this thread too?

Palehose13
01-11-2006, 04:52 PM

I did and everyone knows that I'm gonna buy tickets to see him in Milwaukee in May.

Red Barchetta
01-11-2006, 05:56 PM
I did and everyone knows that I'm gonna buy tickets to see him in Milwaukee in May.

I checked the Flubs schedule and Philadelphia doesn't come to town until August. I still think it would be fun for a few hundred of us to invade Wrigley that day and camp out in the LCF bleachers. Give Aaron a nice standing O while wearing our SOX World Series Champions Gear! :D:

BTW, it wasn't until reading the title of this thread that I put the two together. Weren't they pretty tight? I though Aaron and Frank worked out together in Arizona in the offseason.

Domeshot17
01-11-2006, 06:21 PM
IIRC, Frank and Aaron live in Vegas, and were close.

Thome is a major upgrade. I grew up with the big hurt, for as long as I can remember watching baseball he was on the team. But while he had his power stroke, his average was horrid, and on the bases he looked in pain everytime he tried to run. I hope he is healthy, and I hope he hits 40 home runs with the A's. But Thome was an upgrade and also essential to Konerko coming back. so it pretty much came down to a healthy Thome and Konerko or a 70% Frank and Gload.

I know its tough as fans, but baseball is a business. Kenny Williams job is to put the best team he can out on the field. He does that every year. Be excited for what we have now. I am. I havent shut up about thome ( apparently girlfriend got the hint, got me an ozzie plan and almost all the games are right field right behind the pen)

Jjav829
01-11-2006, 06:34 PM

:hurt :rowand

"HawkISox, it's not you; It's us."

Bobbo35
01-11-2006, 06:38 PM

Ya, I am having a hard time dealing with knowing that Frank will not be with us next year. I think if there was anyone that could replace the stature that Big Frank had, it would be a guy like Thome. Pray that he stays healthy.

Bobbo35
01-11-2006, 06:41 PM
KW had to make this move, and I totally understand it. We would all be FURIOUS if they let Big Frank go, only to have Ross Gload (not that I dont like Ross) replace him as full-time DH. He got a known slugger (though he strikes out a lot) to replace him. Im ok with the move.

Ya, if we have a healthy Thome I think that the right field porch will be quite busy this year.

Corlose 15
01-11-2006, 09:20 PM
Ya, if we have a healthy Thome I think that the right field porch will be quite busy this year.

Yep, those left field bums will have to stop hogging all the home run balls.:redneck

As for Frank, he was the White Sox for the better part of his 16 years though but he's 270 some lbs on a foot thats broken in a different part of the same bone twice. If you think about it, Frank has had foot problems since about 1998 with the bone spur. Thome is a much safer bet to stay healthy.

As for Rowand, a great guy by all accounts but ,based on everything I've heard from credible sources, Anderson is a better CF and should be able to put up comparable offensive numbers. Thome and Anderson make the Sox a better team than Rowand and Everett and thats whats most important.

lostletters
01-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Thome was healthy when KW traded for him. Outside of last year too, the man never had any injury problems. In fact the injury may have helped him in the long run, because he may have adopted better physical fitness. This is not like Thomas. Last year was first year being injured as a player.

Also if you have ever seen Thome hit at the Cell, you would want him playing for the Sox. He is a line drive style hitter. I saw him play an interleague game with us when he was with the Phillies. He hit three homeruns in one game. I knew right then and there he would be playing for the White Sox one day. (By the way, Thome hits his home runs to all fields. Again, line drive type hitter).

Thomas has been injured quite a bit over the past five seasons. He is to much of a risk to have around. As much as I love Thomas, it was time for him to move on.

With regards to Rowand, the White Sox are a team packed with CF prospects, be it the speedy Owens or the well rounded Anderson. He was one of the few players we could let go because we had clear alternatives.

Nellie_Fox
01-12-2006, 12:46 AM
You will be the first time he pounds an outside fastball over the right field wall at the Cell!!If he spends the season trying to pull outside pitches, it will be a long and dismal year.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-12-2006, 02:12 AM
You will be the first time he pounds an outside fastball over the right field wall at the Cell!!

Not necessarily. I still think Frank may not be signed during the offseason (due on his health issues) and may return to the White Sox mid season (or when ever his health allows it). He can sign with us after May 1 and he may not be ready to play until that time.

Aaron won't be coming back (well at least anytime soon) and I wish him the best in Philadelphia.

BV2005
01-12-2006, 02:38 AM
I am missing Rowand more than Frank, I love Frank and all but I can understand why he is not a White Sox player anymore, I just wish they could have traded another minor leager for Thome instead of my Favorite player Rowand, and I will definatly be in Milwaukee to see the Brewers play the Phillies weraing my Rowand jersey.

Chisox003
01-12-2006, 03:18 AM
If he spends the season trying to pull outside pitches, it will be a long and dismal year.
:roflmao:

You had to be that guy....

voodoochile
01-12-2006, 07:54 AM

That's the key issue. I don't think the Sox think Frank will ever play 140 games again.

I have to admit, that I agree with them and I doubt anyone is questioning my feelings about the Big Man. I'm about as biased as they come and have fought tooth and nail to see him get the respect he deserves.

Baby Fisk
01-12-2006, 08:32 AM

The Phillies play in Toronto in June. I've marked the calendar and will be there to say thanks to Crash.

It's bittersweet seeing how prominent Rowand is in both the Sox Pride and WS DVDs, because now he's gone. :(:

As for the Big Hurt, I'm in denial until it's known for certain where (if?) he will play in 2006. If he takes the field wearing white shoes, it will be devastating. :whiner:

we be jake
01-13-2006, 12:35 AM

I am just not that excited to see Thome. Especially in place of Frank. I'M GLAD MORE PEOPLE ARE STARTING TO EXPRESS THIS NOW. I MENTIONED IT RIGHT AFTER THE TRADE AND KINDA GOT BASHED HERE WITH KENNY MANIA RUNNING SO HIGH. I DON'T SEE THE GAIN AND I FEEL IT WAS DISRESPECTFUL TO CALL A GUY THE GREATEST TO WEAR THE UNI AND THEN CUT HIM LOOSE A FEW DAYS LATER. IT'S TYPICAL OF ALL CHICAGO BASEBALL TO SURROUND A GREAT PLYER WITH MEDIOCRES FOR MOST OF THEIR CAREERS CUZ THEY SELL TICKETS REGARDLESS OF HOW LOUSY THE TEAM IS AND THEN GET RID OF THEM, WHEN FANS DEMAND A WINNER, TO AVOID HIS SALARY. TRADING AARON WAS CLASSLESS AS WELL. WHEN THOME GOES DOWN TO INJURY EARLY I WILL TELL YOU "I TOLD YOU SO". YES, HE HASN'T BEEN PLAGUED WITH INJURY IN THE PAST BUT THE DUDE IS OLD NOW. KENNY IS A GOOD GM BUT LOYALTY GOES ALONG WAY WITH TRUE SOX FANS. AND ADDING VAZQUEZ SHOWS NO IMPROVEMENT TO ME. I HOPE I'M WRONG AND THAT ALL THE NEW GUYS DO WELL, AND KNOW THAT I LOVED THE SOX LONG BEFORE KDUB (AND REINSDORF FOR THAT MATTER) AND WILL LOVE THEM AFTER KW. OH, AND TO SOME OF THE NIT-PICKERS HERE--I WILL WRITE IN CAPS IF I WANT TO--WE ALL DON'T HAVE 20-20 VISION.

Nellie_Fox
01-13-2006, 02:40 AM
I'M GLAD MORE PEOPLE ARE STARTING TO EXPRESS THIS NOW. I MENTIONED IT RIGHT AFTER THE TRADE AND KINDA GOT BASHED HERE WITH KENNY MANIA RUNNING SO HIGH. I DON'T SEE THE GAIN AND I FEEL IT WAS DISRESPECTFUL TO CALL A GUY THE GREATEST TO WEAR THE UNI AND THEN CUT HIM LOOSE A FEW DAYS LATER. IT'S TYPICAL OF ALL CHICAGO BASEBALL TO SURROUND A GREAT PLYER WITH MEDIOCRES FOR MOST OF THEIR CAREERS CUZ THEY SELL TICKETS REGARDLESS OF HOW LOUSY THE TEAM IS AND THEN GET RID OF THEM, WHEN FANS DEMAND A WINNER, TO AVOID HIS SALARY. TRADING AARON WAS CLASSLESS AS WELL. WHEN THOME GOES DOWN TO INJURY EARLY I WILL TELL YOU "I TOLD YOU SO". YES, HE HASN'T BEEN PLAGUED WITH INJURY IN THE PAST BUT THE DUDE IS OLD NOW. KENNY IS A GOOD GM BUT LOYALTY GOES ALONG WAY WITH TRUE SOX FANS. AND ADDING VAZQUEZ SHOWS NO IMPROVEMENT TO ME. I HOPE I'M WRONG AND THAT ALL THE NEW GUYS DO WELL, AND KNOW THAT I LOVED THE SOX LONG BEFORE KDUB (AND REINSDORF FOR THAT MATTER) AND WILL LOVE THEM AFTER KW. OH, AND TO SOME OF THE NIT-PICKERS HERE--I WILL WRITE IN CAPS IF I WANT TO--WE ALL DON'T HAVE 20-20 VISION.And I will put you on ignore if I want to. We all can't stand reading all caps. Use a larger font, but lose the caps lock.

Deuce
01-13-2006, 07:37 AM
:hitless

"Why is it no one started a thread like this when I left?"

dickallen15
01-13-2006, 07:57 AM

Yes, but can he get healthy, and stay healthy?

hsnterprize
01-13-2006, 08:55 AM
I was walking on the right-field concourse one day when the Sox were hosting the Tribe. Thome hit a ground rule double so hard in my direction, I was afraid the ball would bounce over the fence and all the way up to where I was. It was hit THAT hard.

Believe you...we'll all miss Frank (and his #35 should be retired the first chance the Sox get to retire it). But we'll be even happier to see Jim Thome wearing our team's colors. He'll do very nicely for the Sox this year...believe me.

HawkISox
01-13-2006, 01:09 PM
People here seem to think we are getting the Jim Thome of 2000. Not the 36 year old one coming off back problems.

BTW...Bad backs dont go away too easily...and with a swing like Thome's, I would be he does not play 100 games this year...Maybe not even 80.

This is still a gamble, and so is Frank, but Frank was not given the benefit of the doubt.

Corlose 15
01-13-2006, 03:50 PM
People here seem to think we are getting the Jim Thome of 2000. Not the 36 year old one coming off back problems.

BTW...Bad backs dont go away too easily...and with a swing like Thome's, I would be he does not play 100 games this year...Maybe not even 80.

This is still a gamble, and so is Frank, but Frank was not given the benefit of the doubt.

It would appear you seem to think we'd be getting the Frank of 1997 or maybe 2002. The fact remains that Frank is 37 yrs old, (Thome is 35 by the way) weighs upwards of 270lbs or so and has reocurring foot problems. Not to mention the fact that HE HASN'T BEEN CLEARED TO PLAY YET and that Thome has been described, albeit by his hitting coach, as in the best shape of his career, and the choice is clear. I love Frank Thomas, he's the greatest player in Sox history but whats best for the Chicago White Sox this year is for them to have Jim Thome as their DH, not Frank.

Theanticub
01-14-2006, 03:47 AM

I'm having the same problem. Big Frank, Ozzie and the Hawk were all that remained from my childhood days......Now it's just ozzie and the hawk 8-(

The Dude
01-14-2006, 03:51 AM
I'M GLAD MORE PEOPLE ARE STARTING TO EXPRESS THIS NOW. I MENTIONED IT RIGHT AFTER THE TRADE AND KINDA GOT BASHED HERE WITH KENNY MANIA RUNNING SO HIGH. I DON'T SEE THE GAIN AND I FEEL IT WAS DISRESPECTFUL TO CALL A GUY THE GREATEST TO WEAR THE UNI AND THEN CUT HIM LOOSE A FEW DAYS LATER. IT'S TYPICAL OF ALL CHICAGO BASEBALL TO SURROUND A GREAT PLYER WITH MEDIOCRES FOR MOST OF THEIR CAREERS CUZ THEY SELL TICKETS REGARDLESS OF HOW LOUSY THE TEAM IS AND THEN GET RID OF THEM, WHEN FANS DEMAND A WINNER, TO AVOID HIS SALARY. TRADING AARON WAS CLASSLESS AS WELL. WHEN THOME GOES DOWN TO INJURY EARLY I WILL TELL YOU "I TOLD YOU SO". YES, HE HASN'T BEEN PLAGUED WITH INJURY IN THE PAST BUT THE DUDE IS OLD NOW. KENNY IS A GOOD GM BUT LOYALTY GOES ALONG WAY WITH TRUE SOX FANS. AND ADDING VAZQUEZ SHOWS NO IMPROVEMENT TO ME. I HOPE I'M WRONG AND THAT ALL THE NEW GUYS DO WELL, AND KNOW THAT I LOVED THE SOX LONG BEFORE KDUB (AND REINSDORF FOR THAT MATTER) AND WILL LOVE THEM AFTER KW. OH, AND TO SOME OF THE NIT-PICKERS HERE--I WILL WRITE IN CAPS IF I WANT TO--WE ALL DON'T HAVE 20-20 VISION.
see mommy, i CAN WRITE IN ALL CAPS AND BE A JACKASS TOO!!!!

:dumbpeople:

kevin57
01-14-2006, 08:12 AM
My opinion on the moves with Aaron and Frank hasn't changed.

Rationally, it makes sense. KW's job is the make the Sox the best team they can be. Thome for Rowand and cutting Frank because of a few reasons are easily justifiable.

Emotionally, well, that's a different issue. Sox fans, unlike the Cubbie Blues, we do not give away our hearts easily or quickly to our players. Frank got the hearts of nearly all Sox fans and Aaron had endeared himself to many as well. So, I don't blame people for missing either one.

Again, though, I think we'll see that the Sox are a stronger team for the moves made this offseason.

soxinem1
01-14-2006, 09:58 AM
A few months ago I posted my first thread in tribute to Big Frank. I saw his first major league game, at bat, hit, RBI, HR all in person. And I also realize that the White Sox in their history have only had a very small amount of players establish any longevity with the team, so when an instance like this occurs, it is a pretty solemn experience. But in light of the fact he hasn't signed with anyone yet, especially with the Twins taking Rondell White over Frank, there may well be other issues, mainly his foot. As much as I'd like him back, adding Thome is a move that was done out of necessity, because paying Everett 5-6 million made no sense and the pickings for a solid DH candidate were very limited. All we can do is wait and see what happens. If Frank comes back healthy and hits his 500th it will lock his HOF credentials. I also hope he can keep his lifetime BA over .300. A few years ago this looked like a lock, but another 1000 AB's could change that.

As far as Rowand is concerned, the organization is deep in OF and it also is a position that needed an upgrade. While his overall contributions are indisputable, many of Rowand's actions, his sharply declining production at the plate, the bike accident, his false breaks in CF, and his common absent minded baserunning gaffes, I actually think this is not a bad thing. Since I have harped in the past about the Sox recent inability to produce their own players, giving Anderson a chance to show his stuff is a worthwhile gamble.

Frank the Tank
01-14-2006, 11:34 AM
Rowand the person will be missed more than Rowand the player. He loves the Sox and the Bears, he was "one of us". IMO, Rowand was an average player and is easily replaceable. Frank the player will probably be missed more than Frank the person. Frank was with the Sox for a very long time, but I think it was more of a matter of business than loyalty. I don't think he would have hesitated to leave the Sox at anytime in his career for more money.

Truth is, I don't think the 2005 White Sox would have won the 2006 World Series. Improvements always have to be made, and they were. Kudos to Sox management for renewing their commitment to winning. It would have been easy to leave things as they were and cash in. Instead, KW is quietly putting together a Dynasty.

- Six solid starters
- Speed and Thunder in the Line-up
- Defense

We might not win the Series every year, but I think we will be very competitive for years to come.

Nellie_Fox
01-15-2006, 02:16 AM
Frank was with the Sox for a very long time, but I think it was more of a matter of business than loyalty. I don't think he would have hesitated to leave the Sox at anytime in his career for more money.And you base this slam on...what? I'm amazed at the people who think they know what goes on in Frank's mind, his life, his doctor's office...

voodoochile
01-15-2006, 09:42 AM
And you base this slam on...what? I'm amazed at the people who think they know what goes on in Frank's mind, his life, his doctor's office...

Not to mention that Frank signed the long term deals that guaranteed he would remain a Sox player for the majority of his career. He is also the one who then re-signed with the team after they used the DSC. He is also the one who signed those deals which though hefty at the time he signed them weren't so out of the world as to make them unbeatable in years to come.

People just like ripping on the big man. It's that simple. I still don't get it, but I've come to accept that certain people are just haters...

dickallen15
01-15-2006, 09:47 AM
Not to mention that Frank signed the long term deals that guaranteed he would remain a Sox player for the majority of his career. He is also the one who then re-signed with the team after they used the DSC. He is also the one who signed those deals which though hefty at the time he signed them weren't so out of the world as to make them unbeatable in years to come.

People just like ripping on the big man. It's that simple. I still don't get it, but I've come to accept that certain people are just haters...

Frank was ripped and rightfully so when he complained about the DSC in his contract. A contract he signed. He even admitted he never thought it would be possible his play would diminish to the point where that clause would even be a factor. If you sign a contract, don't bitch about it later. Its the fastest way to turn people against you.

voodoochile
01-15-2006, 09:52 AM
Frank was ripped and rightfully so when he complained about the DSC in his contract. A contract he signed. He even admitted he never thought it would be possible his play would diminish to the point where that clause would even be a factor. If you sign a contract, don't bitch about it later. Its the fastest way to turn people against you.

See, here we go again...:rolleyes: