PDA

View Full Version : Give Tigers credit, they try at least

caulfield12
01-10-2006, 03:41 PM
Matt Mantei signed with them today...good pick-up if he´s healthy, which is very doubtful

DaleJRFan
01-10-2006, 03:45 PM
Matt Mantei signed with them today...good pick-up if he´s healthy, which is very doubtful

Kerry Rogers was a good pickup for the kittens... letting a decent, cheap, young starter like Johnson walk to a team within the division was a mistake though. Who do they replace him with? Grilli? Tigers are no better off than they were a year prior. They have some very good ofeensive players, Guillen, I-Roid, Magg$, Shelton, but their pitching is questionable at best. Borderman + Rogers + 3 AAAA starters = last place.

Corlose 15
01-10-2006, 05:20 PM
Contrary to what some Indians fans may think, Jason Johnson sucks. Not to mention the fact that he isn't that young at 32 so he's not going to improve a lot. I don't blame the Tigers at all for letting him go. Rogers, Bonderman, Maroth, Robertson and either Verlander or Ledezma is a decent rotation. Nothing great. The Tigers have 2 young pitching prospects in Verlander and Zumaya coming up, if they pan out the Tigers could have a good rotation in a couple years. I see them in 4th place with the Royals a less distant 5th.

caulfield12
01-11-2006, 10:18 AM
Kerry Rogers was a good pickup for the kittens... letting a decent, cheap, young starter like Johnson walk to a team within the division was a mistake though. Who do they replace him with? Grilli? Tigers are no better off than they were a year prior. They have some very good ofeensive players, Guillen, I-Roid, Magg$, Shelton, but their pitching is questionable at best. Borderman + Rogers + 3 AAAA starters = last place.

The biggest question with this team is whether or not I-Rod and Maggs will ever return to the big-time power threats they were 2-3 seasons ago. I-Rod really fell off offensively, wanted to be traded, but maybe things will change with Leyland.

Shelton is another player that could go either way...the Tigers have some bats, Monroe, Granderson, C. Pena (if he ever lives up to his potential) but theyve also dealt some horrible contracts to relief pitchers and B. Higginson.

I dont think letting Johnson go was a mistake. He is an average, MLB fifth starter, nothing more, nothing less. The White Sox have never had any problems hitting him. And he has diabetes, which might effect him more as he ages. He is no longer a youngster.

Tekijawa
01-11-2006, 11:10 AM
The Tigers will challenge the Cubs this year for the most Simulated Wins... If the playes they've signed over the past few years could play more than 75 games or 75 innings a year this might be a good team, until then I don't see them doing much!

SOXintheBURGH
01-11-2006, 11:21 AM

Kerry Rogers, I like that.

This Detroit squad has a lot of holes. Unlike the Oakland A's squad that are one player away from being perfect! :rolleyes:

I actually think they have a legitimate chance of battling Minny for 3rd in the ALC.

caulfield12
01-11-2006, 12:12 PM
Kerry Rogers, I like that.

This Detroit squad has a lot of holes. Unlike the Oakland A's squad that are one player away from being perfect! :rolleyes:

I actually think they have a legitimate chance of battling Minny for 3rd in the ALC.

Minnesota´s success is going to come down to the success of Kyle Lohse and Baker-Soriano in the rotation. If Lohse can do a Jon Garland V. 2006, look out. However, I think their middle and short relief is significantly weaker than it was in 2002 and 2003. I think they are closer to being forced to deal Stewart and Hunter than they are competing for the Central title. Hope I am right...the Indians are still our chief competition.

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-11-2006, 12:13 PM

That's what I think.