PDA

View Full Version : Rank 'em

MasQbellesa
01-10-2006, 01:05 PM
Updated: Jan. 10, 2006, 10:12 AM
Rank 'Em: Hot Stove Power Rankings

"in November, and not surprisingly, the White Sox were No. 1. But do you think they still reside at the top of the heap?"

http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/listranker?id=442 (http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/listranker?id=442)

longshot7
01-10-2006, 02:56 PM
I just voted and they gave the current rankings:

1. White Sox
2. Yankees
3. Cardinals
4. Mets
5. Angels
6. Red Sox
7. Indians
8. Blue Jays
9. Braves
10. Astros
11. Athletics
12. Dodgers
13. Cubs
14. Twins
15. Phillies
16. Padres
17. Rangers
18. Giants
19. Brewers
20. Nationals
21. Mariners
22. Tigers
23. Orioles
24. Diamondbacks
25. Reds
26. Pirates
27. Royals
28. Devil Rays
29. Rockies
30. Marlins

Yankees at No. 2????? Man, somebody's drinking the kool-aid............

Fred Manrique
01-10-2006, 04:09 PM
I think you have to put the Yankees at number two, they have improved from being a playoff team last year. I know I might get blasted for this, but Damon is a big step up from the guys they were throwing in center last year. If (and it's a big if) Pavano, Wright, or The Big Mullet return to previous form, they'll be pretty dangerous again.

On the flip side, while the Mets have improved, placing them fourth is overrating them with that pitching.

Stoky44
01-10-2006, 04:29 PM
If (and it's a big if) Pavano, Wright, or The Big Mullet return to previous form, they'll be pretty dangerous again.

That "if" is a very big if! Pitching wins the big games and championships. The Big Mullet is just another year older, Wright and Pavano are overrated. Yanks are not #2.

spiffie
01-10-2006, 04:37 PM
That "if" is a very big if! Pitching wins the big games and championships. The Big Mullet is just another year older, Wright and Pavano are overrated. Yanks are not #2.
Then who is? The Cardinals who lost Morris and added Ponson? The Indians who lost Millwood and Howry? The Mets who have no real good pitching? The Angels who lost 2/5 of their starting rotation? The A's might be the only possible #2 if pitching is how you're going to make this decision, but I don't think that would go over well here. At this point there's no team who has the pitching horses, outside of us, to be ranked above the Yanks who will put up a lot of runs in a lot of games this year (and then fall flat in October most likely).

If anything, this shows just how wide the gap, at least going into the season, is between the Sox and everyone else.

Lip Man 1
01-10-2006, 04:45 PM
Who cares what the public thinks in a meaningless poll.

Lip

SoxSpeed22
01-10-2006, 04:46 PM
I went,
White Sox
Angels
Cardinals
Red Sox
Yankees
Indians
A's
Astros
Braves
Twins
Blue Jays
Mets
Padres
Brewers
Phillies
Tigers
Diamondbacks
Nationals
Cubs
Rangers
Reds
Orioles
Pirates
Giants
Dodgers
Mariners
Devil Rays
Rockies
Royals
Marlins

Fake Chet Lemon
01-10-2006, 05:26 PM
Everyone vote the Yankees LAST so that they don't catch us!

Can we put a call out to Sox Army in the Thread name?

MarySwiss
01-10-2006, 05:53 PM
Then who is? The Cardinals who lost Morris and added Ponson? The Indians who lost Millwood and Howry? The Mets who have no real good pitching? The Angels who lost 2/5 of their starting rotation? The A's might be the only possible #2 if pitching is how you're going to make this decision, but I don't think that would go over well here. At this point there's no team who has the pitching horses, outside of us, to be ranked above the Yanks who will put up a lot of runs in a lot of games this year (and then fall flat in October most likely).

If anything, this shows just how wide the gap, at least going into the season, is between the Sox and everyone else.

I'm telling you guys, for some reason, I like the Jays at this point. (For #2, of course!) But let's see how the rest of the offseason shakes out.

Chisox003
01-10-2006, 06:07 PM
Brewers.

Watch and see :gulp:

MarySwiss
01-10-2006, 06:18 PM
Brewers.

Entirely possible. After all, the Sox finished fourth in the AL Central last year, right?

Palehose13
01-10-2006, 06:23 PM
Brewers.

I don't think that they are #2, but they were in my top ten.

VeeckAsInWreck
01-10-2006, 06:53 PM

I liked the Brewers, but unloading Lyle Overbay seems like a step backward to me.

Palehose13
01-10-2006, 07:01 PM
I liked the Brewers, but unloading Lyle Overbay seems like a step backward to me.

They had to make room for Prince Fielder.

tweek57
01-10-2006, 07:14 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/graphics/sports/brew/img/jul04/prince711.jpg

ondafarm
01-10-2006, 07:18 PM
I think putting the Yankee$ second is a joke. Damon stilldoesn't have an arm, is ability to field CF in that huge park isn't getting any better and their fundamental problems will not be improving anytime soon. And their pitching????

buehrle4cy05
01-10-2006, 07:19 PM

Same here, I had them at 9.:cool: Watch out for Fielder and Weeks in the lineup and Sheets and Capuano in the rotation...

santo=dorf
01-10-2006, 07:28 PM
I think putting the Yankee$ second is a joke. Damon stilldoesn't have an arm, is ability to field CF in that huge park isn't getting any better and their fundamental problems will not be improving anytime soon. And their pitching????

.....any how was their CF situation last season with Womack and Bernie? They still improved in that area, Cano is playing the full season, and they reamped their bullpen. Randy Johnson was a very good pitcher last season but he gave up a ton of homers and had a ton of (lofty) expectations. Wright is a mess, Pavano was a dog, Small had a "Loaiza" year, they will Chacon for a full year, and Wang is very servicable.

I have them #2