Vazquez

McCarthy

RHP Redding-Bajenaru-Tracey-Haeger OR
LHP Reynoso-Malone-Munoz-Bentz-Javier Lopez-Stephen Randolph

RHP Politte
RHP Hermanson
LHP Cotts
RHP Jenks

That´s eight guys competing for one spot in the bullpen, I am sure one of those guys will emerge. Lopez (not the catcher) is supposedly a Wunsch-Myers-Bradford type...and Randolph has some big-league experience as well.

I would imagine that Redding will be sent to AAA to continue starting, because we already have McCarthy in that long-relief role, and they would basically provide the same things...in some ways, I would almost prefer Redding over McCarthy so Brandon could stick with a regular pitching pattern of starts at Charlotte. However, there´s no doubt McCarthy on the big league roster is better for the Sox in terms of results.

HomeFish
01-10-2006, 10:55 AM
Two spots. Hermanson is injured, and you want a replacement ready.

caulfield12
01-10-2006, 11:08 AM

Do you really think that KW would have trade Marte and Vizcaino away and not replace either of them (unless you count Redding and the three lefties we´ve signed) if he didn´t think that Hermanson was healthy? That makes absolutely no sense, and KW has been 2-3 steps ahead of everyone since the WS ended. We´ve speculated about Crede and Hermanson all off-season long, but I have seen very little concrete evidence that he´s not going to start the season.

In fact, you can look at the Mackowiak deal for more tangible evidence that KW is concerned about Crede than anything KW has done with the bullpen.

Palehose13
01-10-2006, 11:15 AM
Two spots. Hermanson is injured

Is this a fact or speculation?

Hangar18
01-10-2006, 11:15 AM
Do you really think that KW would have trade Marte and Vizcaino away and not replace either of them (unless you count Redding and the three lefties we´ve signed) if he didn´t think that Hermanson was healthy? That makes absolutely no sense, and KW has been 2-3 steps ahead of everyone since the WS ended. We´ve speculated about Crede and Hermanson all off-season long, but I have seen very little concrete evidence that he´s not going to start the season.

In fact, you can look at the Mackowiak deal for more tangible evidence that KW is concerned about Crede than anything KW has done with the bullpen.

The SOX are very high on Josh Fields too .......

caulfield12
01-10-2006, 11:18 AM
The SOX are very high on Josh Fields too .......

Isn´t Fields coming off some type of injury or surgery last season? Supposedly it was minor, and I have never heard that Fields was this high strikeout, fastball type of pitcher anyway.

I wonder how many threads we will have where posters are confused if the 3B or pitcher is the subject? Imagine if both of them are on the big league team simultaneously? I guess they will have to put their middle initials on the back of the jersey, like Greg A. Harris and Greg W. Harris.

I suppose Kris Honel could pitch himself into consideration as well if he keeps up his upward trajectory of improvement. However, I don´t see the Sox leaving him on the roster...he needs to prove himself for at least one-half season as a consistent starter in the minors before they consider this. I do think Corwin Malone has a chance if he can harness his control, same thing with Reynoso.

zach23
01-10-2006, 11:19 AM

Wow, I never realized that Herm Schneider posted here under the name Homefish. I wonder if the Sox know that Herm has always had such a pessimistic view of the team?

munchman33
01-10-2006, 11:26 AM

Isn't it time to give him his own thread already?

HomeFish
01-10-2006, 11:27 AM

Its a fact that Hermanson is injured. What can only be speculated about is if he is 1) able to play through the injury and 2) if the injury will have an unacceptable effect on his stuff.

caulfield12
01-10-2006, 11:30 AM
Its a fact that Hermanson is injured. What can only be speculated about is if he is 1) able to play through the injury and 2) if the injury will have an unacceptable effect on his stuff.

Well, by that definition, so are Buehrle, Garcia, Crede and Thome. We might as well give up on this season. Garcia lost 3-4 MPH off his fastball, mostly due to overwork with the Sox and M´s, Buehrle could barely hold his arm up at the end of the season and is now bowing out of the WBC, Crede now has Mackowiak looking over his shoulder and Thome might not ever be the same as his former self, right?

voodoochile
01-10-2006, 11:34 AM

Link?

Or is this more of your usual pessimistic ******** based on Hermanson having some problems last year?

HomeFish
01-10-2006, 11:36 AM
Well, by that definition, so are Buehrle, Garcia, Crede and Thome. We might as well give up on this season. Garcia lost 3-4 MPH off his fastball, mostly due to overwork with the Sox and M´s, Buehrle could barely hold his arm up at the end of the season and is now bowing out of the WBC, Crede now has Mackowiak looking over his shoulder and Thome might not ever be the same as his former self, right?

No, Buehrle, Garcia, and Thome do not have actual abnormal physical conditions like Crede and Hermanson do. Thome did, but his healed.

Bringing in Mackowiak was exactly the right thing to do in regards to Crede. Kenny should do the same in regards to Hermanson.

HomeFish
01-10-2006, 11:37 AM
Link?

Or is this more of your usual pessimistic ******** based on Hermanson having some problems last year?

Its my understanding that Hermanson has a problem in his back that can only be fixed by surgery.

voodoochile
01-10-2006, 11:39 AM
Its my understanding that Hermanson has a problem in his back that can only be fixed by surgery.
Link?

Any old kind of link - even one from last year. Otherwise it is rumor mongering at it's worst and I don't appreciate it.

DaleJRFan
01-10-2006, 11:39 AM
...Garcia lost 3-4 MPH off his fastball, mostly due to overwork with the Sox and M´s...

Don't mean to bend words here (I agree with what you are saying... totally...) but Freddy Garcia has been quoted as saying he intentionally has taken 2-3 MPH off of his fastball to aid his location. Can't recall the circumstances or the source, but I read an interview/article about him where he stated that when he was with Seattle, he tried to throw the ball through the catcher instead of locating his fastball and by doing so, wore his arm out by the allstar break. When he came to Chicago, he and Cooper worked on locating his pitches more. The article also made mention of him trying to even up his two-seemer and four-seemer in terms of velocity, putting both pitches around 90-93 range.

Crede_Fan
01-10-2006, 11:45 AM

It is only fact to you. How do we know what treatment he has received? I would think KW would have the FACTS. It is the same with Crede. How do any of us not named Dustin, Ozzie, Kenny, Joe, or Herm know the condition of Hermanson or Crede. Give it up Homefish, we only have 1 pitching roster spot open.

Iwritecode
01-10-2006, 11:59 AM
Link?

Any old kind of link - even one from last year. Otherwise it is rumor mongering at it's worst and I don't appreciate it.

I knew he had back problems during the year but I don't think I've ever heard that he definetly needs surgery although he was considering it.

Interesting conficting stories on what exactly is wrong with his back. Although the dates are different so he may have originally be mis-diagnosed.

http://kffl.com/player/4800/mlb

White Sox | Hermanson Considering Offseason Back Surgery
Sun, 14 Aug 2005 13:33:04 -0700

Chicago White Sox CL Dustin Hermanson (back) says he is considering offseason back surgery, if his injury does not go away in the next few months, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. "It's tough to pitch like this," he said. "I wouldn't wish this upon any pitcher, to have to go out and pitch through this. I think it makes you concentrate a little bit more while you're out there, but you don't have the stuff that you normally would." Hermanson was told he has a degenerative vertebra problem, but he is not expected to be placed on the disabled list.

http://fantasybaseball.usatoday.com/index.php?sport=bsball&type=transandnotes&name=1128

July 22-
Dustin Hermanson said he has been diagnosed with an inflamed disc in his lower back, which was the reason he wasn't available for a couple of games this week, according to the Chicago Tribune. He said he plans to pitch through the pain, though he may need an occasional break.

KyWhiSoxFan
01-10-2006, 12:04 PM
That´s eight guys competing for one spot in the bullpen.

I believe there's two spots open. They're talking about having 12 pitchers break camp.

Mackowiak's versatility in being able to play several infield positions plus the outfield will enable him to give a lot of people some rest. He may play 3 to 5 times a week.

Flight #24
01-10-2006, 12:32 PM
Yes, I'd bet they go with 12 initially to make sure everything's kosher with Vazquez & Garcia, and to keep their outings shorter early on following the WBC. Of course, once everyone's settled in and they're comfortable with the health of the starters, I would anticipate them cutting back to 11 and adding a bat for the bench, say around May 1........

:hurt "I wonder what happens then?"

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-10-2006, 03:26 PM
When did the White Sox get Stephen Randolph? I don't remember hearing about this.

caulfield12
01-10-2006, 03:35 PM
When did the White Sox get Stephen Randolph? I don't remember hearing about this.

It was reported today in the papers. They also signed LHP Javier Lopez and are apparently looking at signing Jose Macias for their final utility-bench spot.

Palehose13
01-10-2006, 03:44 PM
It was reported today in the papers. They also signed LHP Javier Lopez and are apparently looking at signing Jose Macias for their final utility-bench spot.

My bad. I saw it. Yuck.

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-10-2006, 03:52 PM

Thanks. I just found the thread about the signings here too.

Ol' No. 2
01-10-2006, 03:58 PM
I didn't see anything stating that the Sox are actually looking at signing Macias. IIRC, the "source" said that Macias was comfortable with Guillen and something about Cora. IMO, that is a far cry from looking at signing him. Hell, I'm comfortable with Guillen, but KW hasn't contacted me. :wink:They may be looking at signing him, but there's no indication it will be anything more than a NRI or a minor league contract.

maurice
01-10-2006, 04:45 PM
abnormal physical conditions

That's an extremely broad definition of "injured." Under this definition, Konerko also is injured, yet nobody in baseball would make such a silly claim.

In the context of sports, "injured" usually means that you can't play or that your play is significantly limited by your physical condition. There's no question that Hermanson has back problems, but nobody yet knows whether / how often he'll be "injured" in 2006.

BTW, even if Hermanson misses the whole year, the Sox currently have Jenks, Cotts, Politte, and McCarthy in the pen. That's much better than most teams.

gobears1987
01-10-2006, 06:16 PM
Is this a fact or speculation?It's neighter. It's Homefish being his old self.

VivaOzzie
01-10-2006, 06:38 PM
It is only fact to you. How do we know what treatment he has received? I would think KW would have the FACTS. It is the same with Crede. How do any of us not named Dustin, Ozzie, Kenny, Joe, or Herm know the condition of Hermanson or Crede. Give it up Homefish, we only have 1 pitching roster spot open.

Hell, my name is Dustin and even I don't know! :o: NOW its time to worry!

I say we go ahead and trust KW. Seemed to work last year...

HotelWhiteSox
01-10-2006, 07:38 PM
I remember hearing one of Dustin's interviews down the stretch last year, even though he was getting all the time off, he said it was something that time off didn't help at all, implying that surgery would be needed, but I've heard of cases where surgery doesn't even help or it's easy to get reinjured. Backs are iffy