PDA

View Full Version : No Playoff Tickets Left?

Shakey Bonez
01-10-2006, 08:59 AM
I just called my rep and he said that they have sold so many new season tickets already that people purchasing them going forward are not guaranteed play-off tickets for next season!

Thank God I got my season tickets earlier, I tried to plan an outting for my work there and that was even tough to get seats together not in the upper deck.

CHIsoxNation
01-10-2006, 09:15 AM
I just called my rep and he said that they have sold so many new season tickets already that people purchasing them going forward are not guaranteed play-off tickets for next season!

Thank God I got my season tickets earlier, I tried to plan an outting for my work there and that was even tough to get seats together not in the upper deck.

If this is true, that's insane.

dcb56
01-10-2006, 09:19 AM
If this is true, that's insane.

It wouldn't surprise me if it is true. I logged onto the ST section of whitesox.com and they've taken the postseason ticket options off the list of season ticket benefits for new sales:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ticketing/plans/zone.jsp

SouthSide_HitMen
01-10-2006, 09:22 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if it is true. I logged onto the ST section of whitesox.com and they've taken the postseason ticket options off the list of season ticket benefits:

Wow - I would think Full Season ticket plans would still include post season tickets for all games. It looks like 27 or 13 game plans will not have the same option. Looks like there will be some "partnerships" formed to get a full season plan and retain the option to purchase 2006 World Series tickets.

kjkobs
01-10-2006, 09:28 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if it is true. I logged onto the ST section of whitesox.com and they've taken the postseason ticket options off the list of season ticket benefits for new sales:

I don't see how they could not offer playoff tickets to full season ticket holders.

Ol' No. 2
01-10-2006, 09:29 AM
Wow - I would think Full Season ticket plans would still include post season tickets for all games. It looks like 27 or 13 game plans will not have the same option. Looks like there will be some "partnerships" formed to get a full season plan and retain the option to purchase 2006 World Series tickets.I'd be surprised if people with full season packages didn't get playoff tickets. Certainly for ALDS and ALCS. MLB skims off so many tickets for the WS, that it's entirely possible that some full season ticket holders would get bumped. And you probably won't be guaranteed your regular seats.

Mickster
01-10-2006, 09:32 AM
I don't see how they could not offer playoff tickets to full season ticket holders.

You have to remember that even if every single seat were sold to full-season ticket holders, many seats are claimed by MLB for the playoffs. I am not suggesting that we have completely sold out, just that some would not get the benefit of post-season tix if it did happen.

Tekijawa
01-10-2006, 09:37 AM
Lucky I got in early!

DumpJerry
01-10-2006, 09:52 AM
You have to remember that even if every single seat were sold to full-season ticket holders, many seats are claimed by MLB for the playoffs. I am not suggesting that we have completely sold out, just that some would not get the benefit of post-season tix if it did happen.
We? Do you work for the Sox? If so, what can you tell us?

Mickster
01-10-2006, 09:58 AM
We? Do you work for the Sox? If so, what can you tell us?

Nope.

Madvora
01-10-2006, 10:03 AM
Hopefully the Sox will turn into the Braves and make the playoffs so often that the demand isn't even there anymore.

Mickster
01-10-2006, 10:53 AM
Hopefully the Sox will turn into the Braves and make the playoffs so often that the demand isn't even there anymore.

Yeah, kind of like the Bulls in the 90's. :rolleyes:

Ol' No. 2
01-10-2006, 11:01 AM
Yeah, kind of like the Bulls in the 90's. :rolleyes:WSI in 2010: World Series AGAIN? Man, I've got leaves to rake. I'll catch them next year.

The Deacon
01-10-2006, 11:03 AM
I'll be quite angry if I dont get every playoff game ADVERTISED by the Sox in my 27 game package. 1WC, 1ALCS, 1WS. I mean, this is a partial reason why I bought the package in the first place. They can't just pull the rug out from people. Can they? CAN THEY?

I just notcied the OP said going forward. yes,I am an idiot. Thank you.

Palehose13
01-10-2006, 11:09 AM
I'll be quite angry if I dont get every playoff game ADVERTISED by the Sox in my 27 game package. 1WC, 1ALCS, 1WS. I mean, this is a partial reason why I bought the package in the first place. They can't just pull the rug out from people. Can they? CAN THEY?

I just notcied the OP said going forward. yes,I am an idiot. Thank you.

I would imagine that if it was offered when you bought the plan then you get them. But if you get ST now, you may be SOL.

chisoxmike
01-10-2006, 11:28 AM

I agree. A main reason why I put up all the $$$ was becuase they said 27-plan holders get ALL ALDS, 1 ALCS, 1 WS. But, I will worry about this if they make the playoffs. I just dont see how they can't offer playoff tickets, they'll just have to not put them on sale probably, which would cause a riot, and this board to be closed.

skottyj242
01-10-2006, 11:42 AM
All I know is I just popped down $2500 bucks so I better get my seat or at least a seat all the way through.

Sox35th
01-10-2006, 12:00 PM

So, dose anyone out there know when or if there was a cut off date was set by the Sox?? I got my 27-game plan back in Nov. I hope that I'm all good....but you never know what can happen. One can only look back at the playoffs when they said that anyone who got full season tickets for 2006 by noon on that Monady would get playoff tickets for all games and we all seen what happend with that. (The Sox over sold!!)

BNLSox
01-10-2006, 12:06 PM
WSI in 2010: World Series AGAIN? Man, I've got leaves to rake. I'll catch them next year.

LOL! Well put. White Sox baseball 2011 Slogan - Go ahead and do your laundry, we still got some winning to do.

IowaHawksFan1
01-10-2006, 12:25 PM
I don't have ticket package this year...mainly because I live too far away and can't afford it. I have had packages in the past though. But I know that I got a mailing from the White Sox that talked about the benefits of being a season ticket holder/partial season ticket holder. If I bought the package based on that and than they didn't deliever...someone has a nice little false advertising lawsuit on their hands. I'd have to check again, but I don't believe it said anywhere "based on availability" it might have. Now that they might have oversold as long as they inform people about the change when they are purchasing than that is fine. But if they still promised me that and didn't deliver as I said...that's a nice little false advertising lawsuit just waiting to happen.

Not that I would sue the Sox, but I know I'd be angry...and as I said at least for me it doesn't matter, because I can't afford a package this year anyway.

Scotty347
01-10-2006, 12:37 PM
From Whitesox.com on the main ticketing page under "Split Plans" and "Ozzie Plan":

Postseason options are no longer available for these plans.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ticketing/index.jsp

daveeym
01-10-2006, 01:02 PM
From Whitesox.com on the main ticketing page under "Split Plans" and "Ozzie Plan":

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ticketing/index.jsp I got in just in time then. Full ALDS, 1 ALCS, 1 WS. Means I'll probably get game 7 of the World Series and not get to attend.:cool: Go on attack that last line. :tongue:

cbone
01-10-2006, 01:06 PM
I just bought my weekend plan last week! Good timing for once. :smile:

Ol' No. 2
01-10-2006, 01:25 PM
Rumor has it……..…

That “Ticketmaster” for the 2006 season will be running a “Premium Ticket Service” just like the Cubs.

What’s the plan: Ticketmaster will buy tickets from the Sox and then turn around and sell them with a huge markup (Example: buy a $32.00 seat in the 100 level or a 500 level seat and sell it for $75.00 or more). By law Ticketmaster can do this just like the Cubs. What’s bad about this is the fact that I am sure and we all know Ticketmaster will have first crack at all unsold tickets that the Sox have. This really doesn’t affect the average season ticket holders, but the fans that doesn’t have season tickets and are looking for goods seat or playoff tixs.

Like I said this is just a rumor and I don’t know all the details…..But from what I have heard this will be their plan for big games/good seats in 2006 (Red Sox, Yankees, Cards, weekend games and playoff games) I am not sure if this service will run under the Ticketmaster name or will be called something else like “Premium Ticket Service”, but Ticketmaster will be the ones running it. Also, you know there will be the $10 service charge and the $3 fee for processing. Thanks Ticketmaster for putting it to the true fans :angry:
No doubt the unnamed source of this rumor is completely reliable.

skobabe8
01-10-2006, 03:40 PM
I just bought my weekend plan last week! Good timing for once. :smile:

And I waited 1 lousy week too late :(:

itsnotrequired
01-11-2006, 12:06 AM

This makes more sense. I can't imagine that FULL season ticket holders wouldn't have the rights to purchase tickets for all potential playoff games. Split-season makes sense.

I always wondered how they could offer ALL ALDS games to split season holders. Best I can come up with is that they wouldn't get the same seats.

Palehose13
01-11-2006, 12:13 AM
I always wondered how they could offer ALL ALDS games to split season holders. Best I can come up with is that they wouldn't get the same seats

I'd say that's a pretty good assumption. :wink:

itsnotrequired
01-11-2006, 12:16 AM
I'd say that's a pretty good assumption. :wink:

Yes, my mind is on fire at midnight. Its been a long couple days (four flights on three different airlines and 350 miles driven in two different rental cars).

If full season ticket holders can't get playoff tickets, then that's messed up.

Lousy, successful Sox.:redneck

Palehose13
01-11-2006, 12:20 AM
Yes, my mind is on fire at midnight. Its been a long couple days (four flights on three different airlines and 350 miles driven in two different rental cars).

If full season ticket holders can't get playoff tickets, then that's messed up.

Lousy, successful Sox.:redneck

Yep, you are ON FIRE!!! :D:

I do find it mildly amusing that at this point last year people were complaining that payroll was too low, lack of attendance, etc. One year later we have bizarro world: threads that the Sox are like the Yankees (buying a championship) and that people can't or won't be able to get tickets! Oh the insanity!

itsnotrequired
01-11-2006, 12:26 AM
I do find it mildly amusing that at this point last year people were complaining that payroll was too low, lack of attendance, etc. One year later we have bizarro world: threads that the Sox are like the Yankees (buying a championship) and that people can't or won't be able to get tickets! Oh the insanity!

Bizarro world, indeed. I'm glad I picked up a full season plan. I should be able to sell some of the key games for big dollars and then use the money to get Cub tickets for me and Hangar.:redneck

dcb56
01-11-2006, 12:54 AM

Let the speculation continue. I just clicked on that link and it appears as if the Sox have since removed the sentence regarding lack of postseason ticket options for both the Ozzie and Split Season plans.

SoxFan78
01-11-2006, 09:01 AM
I always wondered how they could offer ALL ALDS games to split season holders. Best I can come up with is that they wouldn't get the same seats.

Thats true. I am a split season ticket holder and last year my regular season seats were in Sec. 544 row 1. For the ALDS I think I was in 514 row 15. And for the ALCS and world series my tix ended up being in 535 row 12 or somewhere around there. Im just glad I got my tix last year so I have my prime row 1 seats and still have my playoff ticket option.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-11-2006, 09:08 AM
Let the speculation continue. I just clicked on that link and it appears as if the Sox have since removed the sentence regarding lack of postseason ticket options for both the Ozzie and Split Season plans.

Look at this little quote on the individual ticket page:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ticketing/prices.jsp

GENERAL INFORMATION (at the bottom of the web page)

Tickets may not be resold or offered for resale for any amount in excess of the "Maximum Premium Price," which is defined under law as the sum of the established price printed on the ticket plus five dollars or ten percent of such established price, whichever is greater, plus lawful taxes. Unlawful resales can be punishable by fine and/or imprisonment.

How does this jive with their "Ticket Exchange" policy? Tickets are sold for well over 10% markup on this exchange. Or for scalpers or individuals selling online?

itsnotrequired
01-11-2006, 12:51 PM

The text once again appears on the main ticket page.

DeadMoney
01-11-2006, 01:44 PM
The text once again appears on the main ticket page.

From that page if you click on the 'Buy Tickets Now' link, it allows you to look up available seats for an 81-game plan. On the top of that page, there's a disclaimer:

"NOTE: Tickets may not be available in all price levels and sections.

Full Season Plan purchasers are entitled to purchase tickets to all post-season games in the Upper Level. Locations determined by the Chicago White Sox.
Double Play, Hit-and-Run, and Ozzie Plan purchasers are not entitled to purchase post-season tickets."

itsnotrequired
01-11-2006, 01:51 PM
From that page if you click on the 'Buy Tickets Now' link, it allows you to look up available seats for an 81-game plan. On the top of that page, there's a disclaimer:

"NOTE: Tickets may not be available in all price levels and sections.

Full Season Plan purchasers are entitled to purchase tickets to all post-season games in the Upper Level. Locations determined by the Chicago White Sox.
Double Play, Hit-and-Run, and Ozzie Plan purchasers are not entitled to purchase post-season tickets."

I wonder what happens to full-season holders in the upper deck? Would they be able to purchase tickets in their regular seats or would they be "bumped" to worse seats so as to accomidate lower box, etc. holders?

Also, do split season and Ozzie plans purchased BEFORE 1/11 still allow post-season tickets?

It will be interesting to see how this plays out...

SoxFan78
01-11-2006, 01:57 PM
I wonder what happens to full-season holders in the upper deck? Would they be able to purchase tickets in their regular seats or would they be "bumped" to worse seats so as to accomidate lower box, etc. holders?

Also, do split season and Ozzie plans purchased BEFORE 1/11 still allow post-season tickets?

It will be interesting to see how this plays out...

I would assume that anybody that purchased split season and ozzie plans before yesterday would get post season ticket options.

It would be very bad PR if they revoked post season tickets from people with split and ozzie plans that purchased them last year and even before.

itsnotrequired
01-11-2006, 01:59 PM
I would assume that anybody that purchased split season and ozzie plans before yesterday would get post season ticket options.

It would be very bad PR if they revoked post season tickets from people with split and ozzie plans that purchased them last year and even before.

That's what I was thinking as well. It would be a total slap in the face for people who purchased plans in the fall to not get playoff tickets. Even worse for long-term ticket holders.

I'm really curious to see what the final season ticket holder tally comes in at.

DumpJerry
01-11-2006, 02:25 PM

Froget the bad PR, think of the lawsuit for specific performance on the contract. It would take only a couple of days to get in Chancery and the judge to issue an injunction compelling the Sox to honor the pledge of post season tickets to those of us who bought our plans before the policy changes. Probably only way out of it would be for the Sox to show that they have no tickets available because MLB took over the tickets for cell-phone yapping C-List "celebrities" from Hollywood who want to be seen at the World Series. Even that might not absolve the team in the eyes of the judge.

Flight #24
01-11-2006, 03:10 PM

I emailed my rep that exact question. his response was that only people signing up for these programs from here on out are unable to get postseason tix. Those that signed up earlier (prior to this announcement) still get the full privileges available as of the time they signed up.

So basically, if you signed up when they were guaranteeing postseasons, you still get 'em. If you were too late, then SOL.

By the way - that's a pretty strong statement on the volume of ticket sales. Basically, if you assume that they're holding maybe 20% of the postseasons for sale to the public, and that MLB is taking another 10-20%, they're pushing 60-70% capacity via season tickets. Add in even just a tad bit of walkups and you may have near sellouts through much of the year.

mandmandm
01-11-2006, 03:19 PM
Basically, if you assume that they're holding maybe 20% of the postseasons for sale to the public, and that MLB is taking another 10-20%, they're pushing 60-70% capacity via season tickets. Add in even just a tad bit of walkups and you may have near sellouts through much of the year.

I would doubt that 20% of the tickets go on sale to the public. Maybe in 2005 but with the season ticket base this year I can not believe that many would be left for the public.

My rep told me that even if you purchase a FULL season plan at this point you are not guaranteed your same seats for the playoffs. If you buy in the lower bowl you would be in the upper deck for the playoffs.

chisoxkar
01-11-2006, 09:52 PM
Here's the deal for all the issues on this thread.

First....as of yesterday the 10th any Ozzie or 27 game plan no longer have option to purchase post season tickets. Anyone buying fulls from now on still will have option to buy but they will be in the upper deck. There are NO tickets going on sale to public for playoffs.....

If you bought before yesterday you are fine.

Reselling tickets: If you sell through the White Sox Ticket exchange you can charge up to ten times the face value of the ticket and all money stays in your account to use for post season or next years seasons. They can do this because they aren't cutting you a check so youre not getting cash, therefor, bypassing the scalping thing.

Hope this helps!

itsnotrequired
01-11-2006, 09:55 PM
Here's the deal for all the issues on this thread.

First....as of yesterday the 10th any Ozzie or 27 game plan no longer have option to purchase post season tickets. Anyone buying fulls from now on still will have option to buy but they will be in the upper deck. There are NO tickets going on sale to public for playoffs.....

If you bought before yesterday you are fine.

Reselling tickets: If you sell through the White Sox Ticket exchange you can charge up to ten times the face value of the ticket and all money stays in your account to use for post season or next years seasons. They can do this because they aren't cutting you a check so youre not getting cash, therefor, bypassing the scalping thing.

Hope this helps!

The FAQs on the season ticket holder site say that you only get 90% of what the ticket sells for. Is this policy changing?

chisoxkar
01-11-2006, 09:57 PM
there is a 10% service charge that Ticketmaster takes, so technically yes 90%....but if you just set a goal of what you want to make off the ticket then you can set your price 10% higher.

Scotty347
01-11-2006, 10:00 PM
The FAQs on the season ticket holder site say that you only get 90% of what the ticket sells for. Is this policy changing? I think you are confused. You receive 90% of your selling price - 10% goes to Ticketmaster. If you think thats bad, you should see the cut that Stubhub takes.

itsnotrequired
01-11-2006, 10:03 PM
I think you are confused. You receive 90% of your selling price - 10% goes to Ticketmaster. If you think thats bad, you should see the cut that Stubhub takes.

I wasn't complaining but chisoxkar's post made it sould like you got the full 100%.

Actually, you get 90% of the posted price (what you want it to sell for). The buyer actually pays 115% of that price in addition to a Ticketmaster fee. From the Sox website:

How much can I sell my individual game tickets for?

If a ticket is sold, you will receive 90% of the ticket’s Posting Price. The “Posting Price” is an amount that you will be able to set, subject to a minimum and maximum set by the team. The tickets will then be listed for sale for 115% of the Posting Price. If the tickets are purchased, the buyer will pay 115% of the Posting Price plus a ticketFast® delivery fee.

A portion of the fees that we collect will be used so that we can remit to the City of Chicago the Chicago amusement tax on the seller's behalf.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-11-2006, 10:16 PM
I wasn't complaining but chisoxkar's post made it sould like you got the full 100%.

Actually, you get 90% of the posted price (what you want it to sell for). The buyer actually pays 115% of that price in addition to a Ticketmaster fee. From the Sox website:

Isn't the amusement tax already collected on the initial sale of the ticket from the Chicago White Sox to the Season Ticket holder? Or is this like a car - every time you sell a car it must be registered and a fee is paid to the Sec of State even though a tax was paid when the vehicle was initially purchased?

I plan on selling some extras here at face in the parking lot (can't go to 81 games). I'll use Craigslist and eBay as well.

Question - Are you NOT allowed a refund from the ticketmaster account if you choose not to renew the following year? Also, when they send playoff invoices is that money refunded (unused playoff tickets) if requested or is it confiscated and automatically applied to next year, even if you choose not to renew?

I haven't been a season ticket holder since these two innovations (ticketmaster selling and the White Sox having a remote chance at the playoffs - mid 80s were the last time a had season tickets) were developed.

chisoxkar
01-11-2006, 10:23 PM
The money has to stay in your account for future ticket purchased to avoid being illegal. Otherwise it would be scalping....only way they can do it.

The post season refunds should be done now.....unless you asked otherwise it should be refunded on the credit card you bought the tickets with. You could have asked for it to stay on your account, but the standard is to refund the card.

chisoxmike
01-14-2006, 04:09 PM
per whitesox.com

With the purchase of a full-season, 81-game plan after January 9, you will receive the option to purchase Upper Reserved seats to all postseason games.* Purchase of the Hit and Run, Double Play and Ozzie plans after January 9 does not entitle the purchaser to purchase any postseason tickets.

kbkellyusa
01-14-2006, 07:17 PM
If you are on the fence about getting a full season ticket plan, you'll probably want to purchase by the end of the day tomorrow.

From www.whitesox.com (http://www.whitesox.com)...

Purchase of a full-season, 81-game plan after January 15 does not entitle the purchaser to purchase any postseason tickets.*

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ticketing/index.jsp (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ticketing/index.jsp)

itsnotrequired
01-14-2006, 07:28 PM
If you are on the fence about getting a full season ticket plan, you'll probably want to purchase by the end of the day tomorrow.

From www.whitesox.com (http://www.whitesox.com)...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ticketing/index.jsp (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ticketing/index.jsp)

:o:

Sales must be through the roof...

jabrch
01-15-2006, 05:31 PM

Yeah - but don't tell me 40,000 seats are sold for every games for next year...

I can't imagine that if you ponied up for full season tickets (whereever the best available is right now) that you wouldn't get playoffs guaranteed. If not, we are going to see over 3,000,000 tickets sold next season.

OfficerKarkovice
01-15-2006, 07:16 PM
I can't imagine that if you ponied up for full season tickets (whereever the best available is right now) that you wouldn't get playoffs guaranteed. If not, we are going to see over 3,000,000 tickets sold next season.

Well...like kbkellyusa said earlier:

Purchase of a full-season, 81-game plan after January 15 does not entitle the purchaser to purchase any postseason tickets.*

Right from the source...it doesn't get much clearer than that.

dcb56
01-15-2006, 07:27 PM
Yeah - but don't tell me 40,000 seats are sold for every games for next year...

They don't have to sell 40,000 full season plans to take away the full post season ticket options to new full season buyers becuase of the guarantees they've already given to split and Ozzie plan holders. For example, if they sold 15,000 full season plans and 25,000 split plans, they wouldn't be able to guarantee full postseason ticket options to new full season ticket holders because they would've already promised all 40,000 seats in the park for the 3 ALDS games.

ewokpelts
01-15-2006, 07:36 PM
They don't have to sell 40,000 full season plans to take away the full post season ticket options to new full season buyers becuase of the guarantees they've already given to split and Ozzie plan holders. For example, if they sold 15,000 full season plans and 25,000 split plans, they wouldn't be able to guarantee full postseason ticket options to new full season ticket holders because they would've already promised all 40,000 seats in the park for the 3 ALDS games.they will offer upper deck playoff tickets to all NEW full season holders THAT SIGN UP AFTER 1/15
Gene

OfficerKarkovice
01-15-2006, 08:13 PM
they will offer upper deck playoff tickets to all NEW full season holders THAT SIGN UP AFTER 1/15
Gene

NOT TRUE...

kbkellyusa
01-15-2006, 08:19 PM
they will offer upper deck playoff tickets to all NEW full season holders THAT SIGN UP AFTER 1/15
Gene

Gene,

That isn't how I interpret it. I understand the latest message to mean if you don't purchase your full season ticket plan by midnight tonight, you have no rights at all to any playoff tix.

The reserved upper deck playoff ticket option was only in effect from around January 9 through today.

Keep in mind that the White Sox also have to accomodate all of MLB during the playoffs as well, so I'm thinking that is a big reason for shutting it down at this point.

Yesterday on ESPN Radio, it was mentioned that the season ticket base has increased from about 11,000 last year to over 20,000 for 2006.