PDA

View Full Version : Sox sign two more lefties

Banix12
01-10-2006, 01:50 AM
story (info toward middle) (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060109sox,1,5820341.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

The white sox have signed lefty relievers Stephen Randolph and Javier Lopez to minor league contracts. Both have major league experience. Randolph with the Diamondbacks and Lopez with the Diamondbacks and Rockies.

Stephen Randolph's stats (http://forecaster.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/chicagosports-cubs/baseball/player.cgi?2562)

Javier Lopez's stats (http://forecaster.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/chicagosports-cubs/baseball/player.cgi?3629)

I'm pretty familiar with Randolph. Good arm, horrible control. He is a walk machine. Don't know much about Lopez.

In the same story, this little snippet...

They're also one of six teams interested in signing Jose Macias, who can play five positions and recently won the batting title in the Venezuelan League. Macias batted .254 for the Cubs last season and hit .405 during regular-season play for Caracas.

"The White Sox are an interesting team because Jose respects the manager (Ozzie Guillen), and [third-base coach] Joey Cora has seen him play down there," agent Bob Barad said.

God I hope they are just kidding with us. I don't want to see Macias in a sox uniform. I like the defensive versatility he provides but the man can't hit, I don't care what he is doing in the Venezuelan League.

KRS1
01-10-2006, 02:14 AM
Man, I really hope Kenny isn't going to rely on these types of guys to solve our loogy problem. Some of these guys control issues might make me wish we had Damaso back. Now I'll be rooting extra hard for Corwin, Bull, and Paulino down here in ST. As for Macias, he blows hardily and I hope we have more sense than to take a flier on him.

SoxFanPrope
01-10-2006, 02:37 AM
Macias? Didn't we just trade Marte for a similar player?? I know his name but I'll never be able to spell his last name right so I'm not going to try now. Also, didn't the Cubs or someone in the NL Central sign Randolph last year or am I thinking of a different Arizona reliever?

chaerulez
01-10-2006, 03:21 AM
Rob M. (I'm not even going to try spelling it) + Macias is still better than Timo + Willie Harris. Granted Macias isn't contributing much of that... but I don't really see the difference between him and Timo. Not a bad signing if it's a one year deal for 500,000 or so.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-10-2006, 04:09 AM
Macias? Didn't we just trade Marte for a similar player?? I know his name but I'll never be able to spell his last name right so I'm not going to try now. Also, didn't the Cubs or someone in the NL Central sign Randolph last year or am I thinking of a different Arizona reliever?

Yes you will, I'll teach you. Use the same method I'm using that helped me get A.J. Pier-zyn-ski right. Break it down...

Rob Mack-o-wiak.

Scottiehaswheels
01-10-2006, 04:53 AM
story (info toward middle) (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060109sox,1,5820341.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

The white sox have signed lefty relievers Stephen Randolph and Javier Lopez to minor league contracts. Both have major league experience. Randolph with the Diamondbacks and Lopez with the Diamondbacks and Rockies.

I hope Javier Lopez can make the team.... I've always wanted to put J-Lo on the back of a Sox jersey.

JUribe1989
01-10-2006, 07:41 AM
Timo was on our team all year and hit .220. Macias hit .254, but I honestly think that Ross Gload and Pedro Lopez merit roster spots ahead of him.

DaleJRFan
01-10-2006, 10:16 AM
Javier Lopez is awesome!
2005 w/ Arizona: 1-1 9.42
2005 w/ Colorado: 0-0 11.02
2004 w/ Colorado: 1-2 7.52

Stephen Randolph doesn't look too bad based on his numbers. He got hammered at AAA last year, but in prior seasons, was seemingly a servicable bullpen guy with a high-3/low-4 ERA... but the walks are REALLY high...

These guys are the 2006 versions of Kevin Walker. These guys don't have a chance of making the team. But hey, we can always throw David Sanders out there again....

Ol' No. 2
01-10-2006, 11:16 AM
Why is everyone getting their shorts all knotted up? The key words here are minor league contract.

Translation: tryout.

caulfield12
01-10-2006, 11:59 AM
Javier Lopez is awesome!
2005 w/ Arizona: 1-1 9.42
2005 w/ Colorado: 0-0 11.02
2004 w/ Colorado: 1-2 7.52

Stephen Randolph doesn't look too bad based on his numbers. He got hammered at AAA last year, but in prior seasons, was seemingly a servicable bullpen guy with a high-3/low-4 ERA... but the walks are REALLY high...

These guys are the 2006 versions of Kevin Walker. These guys don't have a chance of making the team. But hey, we can always throw David Sanders out there again....

Think Mike Porzio meets Danny Wright.

Seriously, we have McCarthy, Redding, Munoz, Reynoso, Malone, Bajenaru, Tracey, Randolph, Javier Lopez for two spots, the last two in the bullpen.

And Macias would go further towards increasing the versatility of the roster in terms of playing multiple positions, bunting, advancing runners, playing Ozzie ball. A Macias is much better than Harris, who was limited to 2B and couldnīt even steal a base usually when we needed it. And you never know when a hitter is going to mature...look at Luis Gonzalez with the D-Backs or Carlos Guillen in recent years. Obviously, Macias would only be a bench player, but Mackowiak paired with Borchard-Gload OR Macias would be much better than Harris and Perez.

caulfield12
01-10-2006, 12:02 PM
Timo was on our team all year and hit .220. Macias hit .254, but I honestly think that Ross Gload and Pedro Lopez merit roster spots ahead of him.

I donīt think we have space for such a light hitting player on the team. It would be one thing if Uribe went down, we would have no choice but to play Lopez everyday because of his defense.

However, Ozuna is just good enough defensively to play there once every 12-15 games, and that is as much as would ever want to rest Juan.

Ozzie has used Crede there too, although with his back problems, I would hardly recommend it. Who knows, we might even see Mackowiak over there. I would rather see that than Gload in the OF. Maybe even Dye at SS, lol.

DaleJRFan
01-10-2006, 12:32 PM
Why is everyone getting their shorts all knotted up? The key words here are minor league contract.

[ collective sigh ]

ahhh, Ol' No. 2, WSI's voice of reason.

Sargeant79
01-10-2006, 01:43 PM

Absolutely. It is an extremely low-risk move that sometimes works out well for the club. And if it doesn't, nothing is lost. Throw a bunch of the guys in the mix and let them duke it out for a spot. If someone steps up, it's a nice bonus. If not, no big deal.

Every once in a while, a few diamonds in the rough can come out of a move like this. I don't remember if it's the exact same circumstances, but Esteban Loaiza was a non-roster invitee to ST in 2003, IIRC. Not saying that either of these two pitchers will turn out to be that, but the point is that it never hurts to give a shot to someone like this.

Macias doesn't do much for me. I think their infield bench is in really good shape between Mackowiak and Ozuna, and there are plenty of internal options for a 4th outfielder, not to mention the fack that Mackowiak can play OF as well.

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-10-2006, 04:50 PM
Well, it looks like there is gonna be a ton of players trying out for the bullpen in ST. I think Lopez has potential, but I don't like the idea of Randolph trying out.

SoxFan76
01-10-2006, 05:17 PM
[ collective sigh ]

ahhh, Ol' No. 2, WSI's voice of reason.

And that's exactly why he's my favorite poster. We (me and ON2) think alike (except he's much smarter :wink:).

:D:

DickAllen72
01-10-2006, 05:25 PM
And Macias would go further towards increasing the versatility of the roster in terms of playing multiple positions, bunting, advancing runners, playing Ozzie ball. A Macias is much better than Harris, who was limited to 2B and couldn´t even steal a base usually when we needed it.

Willie Harris was a much better base stealer/base runner than Macias. Macias gets caught stealing as much as he steals--which is usually around 4 times a season.

Anyway, with Ozuna and Mackowiak, there is absolutely no need for Macias. They play all the positions Macias does, and play them better. Macias would wind up being the 2006 version of Timo, getting way too much playing time, making way too much money.

With Mackowiak being the fourth outfielder plus the primary backup at 3B, plus an adequate replacement at 2B, and Ozuna able to play 3B, SS, 2B & LF, all we really need is another bat off the bench. Borchard could play all outfield positions well and is a switch hitter with a threat of power. Ross gload is a fine defensive 1B and can play some OF in an emergency and is a great LH pinch hitter.

I'd rather see the Sox pick up a third catcher like Matt Lecroy than sign Macias. Lecroy would provide some right handed pop off the bench and having a third catcher gives the manager more flexibility pinch running for catchers and using the back-up more freely.

Any of the above (Borchard, Gload, Lecroy) would be a better option as the 25th man than Macias.
Just say no to Macias.

Fuller_Schettman
01-10-2006, 08:40 PM
Javy Lopez??? Suh-weeet! :tongue:

Banix12
01-10-2006, 09:58 PM
Willie Harris was a much better base stealer/base runner than Macias. Macias gets caught stealing as much as he steals--which is usually around 4 times a season.

Anyway, with Ozuna and Mackowiak, there is absolutely no need for Macias. They play all the positions Macias does, and play them better. Macias would wind up being the 2006 version of Timo, getting way too much playing time, making way too much money.

With Mackowiak being the fourth outfielder plus the primary backup at 3B, plus an adequate replacement at 2B, and Ozuna able to play 3B, SS, 2B & LF, all we really need is another bat off the bench. Borchard could play all outfield positions well and is a switch hitter with a threat of power. Ross gload is a fine defensive 1B and can play some OF in an emergency and is a great LH pinch hitter.

I'd rather see the Sox pick up a third catcher like Matt Lecroy than sign Macias. Lecroy would provide some right handed pop off the bench and having a third catcher gives the manager more flexibility pinch running for catchers and using the back-up more freely.

Any of the above (Borchard, Gload, Lecroy) would be a better option as the 25th man than Macias.
Just say no to Macias.

Gload and LeCroy lack defensive versatility, even though they are the better hitters of the 4 you mentioned there probably won't be space for them. The need for a 3rd catcher is incredibly low and LeCroy isn't too great back there anyway, he's a better at DH. Gload is a very good 1b but there is basically zero need for a 3rd 1b on the major league roster. Either he goes to another team or he spends a year at Charlotte as a emergency backup.

Ideally I want neither Macias or Borchard. Neither is ever going to hit incredibly well at the major league level. Though currently Macias is the better hitter, even when you take the power into account. However if you have to chose between the two, and since neither is going to do much at the plate, the whole matter becomes an issue of defense. If the sox go with the extra pitcher as has been rumored then I think the edge goes to Macias because defensive versatility becomes more important on a team using a short bench.

DickAllen72
01-10-2006, 10:18 PM
Gload and LeCroy lack defensive versatility, even though they are the better hitters of the 4 you mentioned there probably won't be space for them. The need for a 3rd catcher is incredibly low and LeCroy isn't too great back there anyway, he's a better at DH. Gload is a very good 1b but there is basically zero need for a 3rd 1b on the major league roster. Either he goes to another team or he spends a year at Charlotte as a emergency backup.

Ideally I want neither Macias or Borchard. Neither is ever going to hit incredibly well at the major league level. Though currently Macias is the better hitter, even when you take the power into account. However if you have to chose between the two, and since neither is going to do much at the plate, the whole matter becomes an issue of defense. If the sox go with the extra pitcher as has been rumored then I think the edge goes to Macias because defensive versatility becomes more important on a team using a short bench.

You're correct about the need being low for a third catcher. However, with Ozuna and Mackowiak on the team, the need for a guy like Macias is even lower. He's not much of a hitter, is not a good base stealer, and although he plays a number of positions he does not play them as good as Mackowiak or Ozuna.

Another option I'd like to see the Sox consider is a real speed burner as the 25th guy. Someone who can be used as a pinch runner to steal a base whenever needed and can play a couple of positions. This would come in handy with guys like Konerko, Thome, Pierzynski and Crede in the lineup. I wouldn't waste Jerry Owens in that role, but maybe someone who has proven to be a good baserunner but just doesn't hit well enough to be a major league starter. I don't know if such a player is available out there, but I'd prefer someone like that over Macias.

But I'd still take Gload or Borchard or a third catcher like Lecroy over Macias. Miguel Olivo would have been interesting if he would have agreed to be a third catcher/pinch runner at this point in his career, but that's not happening.

Daver
01-10-2006, 10:25 PM
You're correct about the need being low for a third catcher. However, with Ozuna and Mackowiak on the team, the need for a guy like Macias is even lower. He's not much of a hitter, is not a good base stealer, and although he plays a number of positions he does not play them as good as Mackowiak or Ozuna.

Another option I'd like to see the Sox consider is a real speed burner as the 25th guy. Someone who can be used as a pinch runner to steal a base whenever needed and can play a couple of positions. This would come in handy with guys like Konerko, Thome, Pierzynski and Crede in the lineup. I wouldn't waste Jerry Owens in that role, but maybe someone who has proven to be a good baserunner but just doesn't hit well enough to be a major league starter. I don't know if such a player is available out there, but I'd prefer someone like that over Macias.

But I'd still take Gload or Borchard or a third catcher like Lecroy over Macias. Miguel Olivo would have been interesting if he would have agreed to be a third catcher/pinch runner at this point in his career, but that's not happening.

Borchard has the speed to fill that role, but would need a ton of work on baserunning, Tim Raines might be able to pull it off, but that is a big maybe.

DickAllen72
01-10-2006, 10:26 PM
Borchard has the speed to fill that role, but would need a ton of work on baserunning, Tim Raines might be able to pull it off, but that is a big maybe.

I think Borchard has a good shot at taking that last roster spot.

soxwon
01-10-2006, 11:02 PM

Stephen Randolph's stats (http://forecaster.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/chicagosports-cubs/baseball/player.cgi?2562)

Javier Lopez's stats (http://forecaster.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/chicagosports-cubs/baseball/player.cgi?3629)

I'm pretty familiar with Randolph. Good arm, horrible control. He is a walk machine. Don't know much about Lopez.

In the same story, this little snippet...

God I hope they are just kidding with us. I don't want to see Macias in a sox uniform. I like the defensive versatility he provides but the man can't hit, I don't care what he is doing in the Venezuelan League.

So you don't believe a player can improve offensively?
The winter leagues help a lot of players improve.
i'd gladly take Macias, just to show the Flubs they let another good player leave.

soxinem1
01-10-2006, 11:12 PM
Think Mike Porzio meets Danny Wright.

Seriously, we have McCarthy, Redding, Munoz, Reynoso, Malone, Bajenaru, Tracey, Randolph, Javier Lopez for two spots, the last two in the bullpen.

And Macias would go further towards increasing the versatility of the roster in terms of playing multiple positions, bunting, advancing runners, playing Ozzie ball. A Macias is much better than Harris, who was limited to 2B and couldn´t even steal a base usually when we needed it. And you never know when a hitter is going to mature...look at Luis Gonzalez with the D-Backs or Carlos Guillen in recent years. Obviously, Macias would only be a bench player, but Mackowiak paired with Borchard-Gload OR Macias would be much better than Harris and Perez.

I think Macias is a pretty decent player, and Randolph is actually an ex-cub. They cut him in ST this year so Cliff Bartosh could make the team. Smart move, I'd rather have Cliff Claven.

I remember this guy throwing the daylights out of the ball, but his control was what got him in Brenly's doghouse in Arizona.

I remember Macias with the Tigers a few years ago and always thought he was a major PITA, much like AJ in Minnesotta. He was not the trash-talker AJ is, but he seemed in the middle of everything. As a minor league/non-roster player, it's not a bad gamble. He handles the bat well, does not get rusty sitting for a couple days, and would be hands down the most versitile guy on the team.

But take caution. We have to keep the ex-cub quotient down. Those goofs will think we are trying to copy them and their ex-Sox moves and try to get Jon Adkins or something like that.

Banix12
01-11-2006, 05:35 PM
So you don't believe a player can improve offensively?
The winter leagues help a lot of players improve.
i'd gladly take Macias, just to show the Flubs they let another good player leave.

I do believe that players can improve offensively. However the Venezeulan league isn't the majors when it comes to level of competition. He's hitting .400 there but that doesn't mean there will be a signifigant boost in his numbers here. I don't think this is his first go around in winter ball anyway and besides Major league hitters should hit well in winterball.

Macias is 33, next season is going to be his 8th season in the majors and in that time he has always been around a .250 hitter with some light pop in his bat. He may improve but it would be foolish to sign him thinking there is going to be improvement. You sign him to be a .250 hitter who can play the entire OF and IF and if he improves on that it is a bonus.

First off you are wrong about his defense. He is superior to Ozuna at just about all positions and he is probably around equal to Mackowiak in the infield and superior in the OF. True he is not much of a hitter but Borchard is worse. Sure Borchard has a bit more power but what will that be, 7-9 HR off the bench? Factor in that he probably won't hit much above .200 and he'll probably strike out 50-60 times in say 200 AB's then what is the value of Borchard other than his defense? And I don't know if the difference between Macias vs. Borchard in the OF is so dramatically different as to pick Borchard over Macias. Macias isn't a bad OF.

Also you seemed to miss my point before. the value of Macias would depend on the depth of the bench. If the sox decide to go with a 4 man bench then Macias would be far more valuable than a straight up OF like Borchard because with a short bench it is best for everybody to be versatile. Especially since Ozuna really is not a great defensive player. He's an alright SS and is becoming a decent reserve 3B but I would not trust him much at 2nd or the OF.

Though in my ideal situation, neither Borchard or Macias would make the squad. And part of me wonders why if the sox are so intent on signing another utility man they didn't just go resign Geoff Blum.