PDA

View Full Version : 1 Confident A's fan

Rudy Law
01-10-2006, 12:12 AM
This is one confident A's fan......I really love the very last line....I guess we shouldn't bother playing the season this year guys...THE A's ARE PERFECT...Wow.....Please go and respond to this numb nuts...I can't post on the mlb.com site for 24hrs...

DEFENSE:
3 excellent natural CFs roaming the OF
GG@3B (GG@3B), excellent 2B+SS, C. CHECK
PITCHING
PLEASE name me a better rotoation than: Zito, Harden, Haren, Blanton, Loaiza. A guy who won 21 games 2 years ago is our 5th. No team is better. Bullpen: is street and honestly, our 5 is gunna go 7+ deep most of the time so we don't need much else. But we have duke and kennedy and saarloos in case anyone gets hurt. CHECK.
OFFENSE
We are 1 30+HR bat away from being perfect. With no protection last year, Chavvy got killed. If we get someone to protect him he will destroy. Outside of that we have a great well-rounded offense that right now looks like:
J. Kendall
M. Kotsay
E. Chavez
?
M. Bradley
B. Crosby
J. Payton
D. Johnson/N.Swisher
M. Ellis
Kendall had an off year and will probably rebound if his career numbers are any indication. Kotsay will hopefully look after himself more and not get hurt and put up good numbers as usual too. Bradley will react to the A's like Jose Guillen did and put up great numbers (hopefully). If not, we can replace him with Swisher. We can also expect 20+HR and 80+RBI from Crosby+Payton. Our 8+9 guys hit over .300 last year. That's pretty outstanding.
My question to every other team is:
HOW MANY OF YOU ARE 1 KEY PLAYER AWAY FROM BEING PERFECT?
http://acx.prospero.com/dir-app/icon.aspx?realmId=0&iconTypeId=4&iconName=opt Options (http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/forward.asp?webtag=ml-athletics&msg=43699.1)

SOXintheBURGH
01-10-2006, 12:17 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c55/ZoSoKarl/nobody_cares2.jpg

Soxzilla
01-10-2006, 12:29 AM
I wonder how FWC feels about this thread. I mean, he LOVES the Athletics.

TheOldRoman
01-10-2006, 02:39 AM
I wonder how FWC feels about this thread. I mean, he LOVES the Athletics. And, really, who doesn't?

Jerome
01-10-2006, 08:23 AM
I definately see the A's winning the west, BUT...

I like the sox staff a little better, at least 06, and that A's offense is nothing to brag about. It is improved from last year but last year was so bad, now it is just an average offense IMO. I think the pitching and defense will carry the team, the improved offense will be enough to get them into the playoffs.

Swisher and Johnson and Crosby all are pretty young, so I suppose if they all show the expected improvement then the offense will be pretty good.

voodoochile
01-10-2006, 08:28 AM
Ah, I see the old perfect team with a hole in the cleanup slot...:rolleyes:

Why respond to someone who seems to have all the answers?

ChiSoxLifer
01-10-2006, 09:00 AM
If I were a betting man, I would put a dollar on our old #35 filling in that question mark.

kevin57
01-10-2006, 09:01 AM
As long as the "A's" don't own us next year like they did last year.

SoxFan78
01-10-2006, 09:15 AM
With the A's that good, why even play the games anymore??

Ol' No. 2
01-10-2006, 09:45 AM
As long as the "A's" don't own us next year like they did last year.Yeah, it really ruined the season last year, didn't it?

Baby Fisk
01-10-2006, 10:35 AM
TOBB (teams of Billy Beane): Perfect on paper...

kwolf68
01-10-2006, 10:47 AM
I am hearing barry zito will be a Cub. At least that's what the cool-aid says.

Dan Mega
01-10-2006, 10:50 AM
Once again Billy Beane has proven that he is the smartest GM in baseball. Now if he could only win a playoff series...

Palehose13
01-10-2006, 11:18 AM
PLEASE name me a better rotoation than: Zito, Harden, Haren, Blanton, Loaiza. A guy who won 21 games 2 years ago is our 5th. No team is better.

:roflmao:

I guess this guy has never heard of "career year".

munchman33
01-10-2006, 11:36 AM

Maybe someone could make him a graph?

Palehose13
01-10-2006, 11:40 AM
Maybe someone could make him a graph?

Stop! You're making my face hurt from laughing too much.

FarWestChicago
01-10-2006, 12:03 PM
Somebody wake me up when the invincible A's win a playoff series. :rolleyes:

skobabe8
01-10-2006, 03:50 PM

No he just never saw how many times the offense bailed him out that year.

WP--Loaiza 6IP, 9h, 6er

Sox 7, Opponent 6

voodoochile
01-10-2006, 03:56 PM
No he just never saw how many times the offense bailed him out that year.

WP--Loaiza 6IP, 9h, 6er

Sox 7, Opponent 6

Didn't he have an ERA in the area of 3.0 that year and lose a couple of games 1-0?

He finished second in Cy Young balloting and an argument can be made that he got ripped off. He just burned out and his arm started giving him trouble the next year, but for one season he was all that AND the bag of proverbial chips.

DaleJRFan
01-10-2006, 04:01 PM
Didn't he have an ERA in the area of 3.0 that year and lose a couple of games 1-0?

He finished second in Cy Young balloting and an argument can be made that he got ripped off. He just burned out and his arm started giving him trouble the next year, but for one season he was all that AND the bag of proverbial chips.

Voodoo, I think he's gabbin' around 2004 first half before Esteban got shipped to NY. his ERA was 5+ and was bailed out numerous times by Carlos Lee and crew with the 3 run homer....

You are right though, in 2003, he would have finished 24-3 had it not been for the Sox offense disappearing against the Tigers the final month of the season. I think Esteban had 3 1-run losses... I'll never forget reading his whinefest after he was traded about "pitching for a team that could provide run support".

Ol' No. 2
01-10-2006, 04:05 PM

He finished second in Cy Young balloting and an argument can be made that he got ripped off. He just burned out and his arm started giving him trouble the next year, but for one season he was all that AND the bag of proverbial chips.Loaiza looked to me like a classic case of a pitcher who develops a new pitch which works like gangbusters a few times through the league. After everyone's seen it a few times it's a lot less effective, and he started getting hit hard late in the season. Since then he's been pretty much the old Esteban Loaiza, i.e. a back of the rotation starter. He got a little bit of a break going to the NL last year where hitters were mostly unfamiliar with him. Now he's back in the AL. Prospects are not good.

MERPER
01-10-2006, 04:06 PM
The original post asks: HOW MANY OF YOU ARE 1 KEY PLAYER AWAY FROM BEING PERFECT?

I can't say that.... because we are 0 players away from being perfect.... we are the PERFECT team at this point...

:supernana: :supernana:

1951Campbell
01-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Was the poster "oaklandace"? If so, I need to call an old college buddy and tell him to seek therapy.

Palehose13
01-10-2006, 04:19 PM

Yep, Loaiza was awesome that year. I don't want to take that away from him. It was definitely a career year, cause he is around .500 in all of his other years.

skobabe8
01-10-2006, 04:36 PM

Yeah I was talking more about 2004 than 2003 I guess. My "friends" busted my chops alot after the trade for Jose about "How can you trade a guy that almost won the Cy Young last year for Jose Contreras?"

My reponse was always "Because you haven't seen him pitch this year and I have."

He was still getting wins in '04, but his ERA was Chris Berman fat.

JB98
01-10-2006, 04:46 PM
Do you suppose this poor A's fan knows Jason Kendall is the worst catcher in the game? I could steal second on Kendall, and I'm almost as slow as Konerko. :cool:

Chisox003
01-10-2006, 04:47 PM
PLEASE name me a better rotoation than: Zito, Harden, Haren, Blanton, Loaiza.
Well this is pretty simple:

1. Buehrle, 2. Contreras, 3. Garcia, 4. Vazquez, 5. Garland, 6. McCarthy, and of course the wild card: COOP!

Even looking past my own bias toward the Sox, there's no denying that WE have the best rotation in baseball.

A's fans make me chortle. :rolleyes:

Ol' No. 2
01-10-2006, 05:06 PM

1. Buehrle, 2. Contreras, 3. Garcia, 4. Vazquez, 5. Garland, 6. McCarthy, and of course the wild card: COOP!

Even looking past my own bias toward the Sox, there's no denying that WE have the best rotation in baseball.

A's fans make me chortle. :rolleyes:This will make you more than chortle. From the A's mailbag (http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060107&content_id=1292541&vkey=news_oak&fext=.jsp&c_id=oak), Woody C. wonders:
Why don't the A's trade Bobby Crosby to the O's for Miguel Tejada, with the O's assuming half of his salary?:roflmao:

maurice
01-10-2006, 05:08 PM
I imagine the A's pitching and defense will be okay, but the lineup is not very impressive:
- Kendall: 31-year-old C probably shouldn't bat leadoff; crappy year (.666 OPS) in 2005 after leaving the inferior NL
- M. Kotsay: also coming off of a bad year (.325 OBP), following his career year in 2004
- E. Chavez: good player but maddeningly inconsistent; coming off of worst year since 1999
- ?: A gaping hole in the cleanup spot is a very bad thing
- Bradley: completely insane; playing for his 4th MLB team in at the ripe old age of 27
- Crosby: good young player coming off of a serious injury
- Payton: sucks outside of Colorado
- Swisher: still hasn't proven that he can hit for AVE in MLB
- Ellis: due for a sharp dropoff after career year in 2005

He pretty much assumes that all of these guys will have excellent years in 2006 (including the mystery cleanup hitter), but that's extremely unlikely.

ChiSoxIn06
01-10-2006, 05:46 PM
I dont know about you guys but I'm still taking the Angels to win the West...And as far as the A's rotation goes, correct me if im wrong but Zito seems to be the only one that can stay healthy on that staff...And on top of that Im not sold on Huston Street as a closer either. They might win the wild card but they wont win the west.

chisoxfanatic
01-10-2006, 09:57 PM
Is it just me, or does said "perfect" team constantly choke when they get to the playoffs?

seanpmurphy
01-10-2006, 10:15 PM
This guy has obviously already pre-ordered his Oakland Athletics 2006 World Series Championship gear

Which sucks for me cause I was thinking about doing the same for the Sox!

Kuzman
01-11-2006, 07:39 AM
I dont know about you guys but I'm still taking the Angels to win the West...And as far as the A's rotation goes, correct me if im wrong but Zito seems to be the only one that can stay healthy on that staff...And on top of that Im not sold on Huston Street as a closer either. They might win the wild card but they wont win the west.

I think the wildcard will be coming from the east before Oakland will take it. I'm sure come next october I'll be eating my words just becuase I said it. :)

Tragg
01-11-2006, 08:37 AM
I predict that the Indians and As will fight it out neck and neck for the pythagorean championship of 2006. And that's what really matters - luck abounds and any difference in on the field results is just that-- luck.

Bobby Thigpen
01-11-2006, 09:40 AM
And that's what really matters - luck abounds and any difference in on the field results is just that-- luck.

:tealpolice:

Always wanted to use this.:smile:

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-11-2006, 04:37 PM

A's fans make me chortle. :rolleyes:

I was just gonna put that.

PAPChiSox729
01-11-2006, 05:48 PM
:tealpolice:

Always wanted to use this.:smile:

Man, 3000+ posts too! You caught a good one.

:redneck