PDA

View Full Version : Shifting a 3B to SS

A. Cavatica
01-09-2006, 11:44 PM
Besides Cal Ripken, can anyone think of another instance where a power-hitting third baseman made a successful transition to shortstop? I'm wondering if Andy Marte could handle short. It would be an interesting move for Boston, if only because it's the opposite of moving A-Rod to third.

Tragg
01-09-2006, 11:57 PM
Besides Cal Ripken, can anyone think of another instance where a power-hitting third baseman made a successful transition to shortstop? I'm wondering if Andy Marte could handle short. It would be an interesting move for Boston, if only because it's the opposite of moving A-Rod to third.

I thought Ripken Jr was a power hitting SS who moved to third.

KRS1
01-09-2006, 11:58 PM
I thought Ripken Jr was a power hitting SS who moved to third.

Correct-a-munda

A. Cavatica
01-10-2006, 12:28 AM
No, Ripken came up as a 3B, one of the best prospects in baseball. Earl Weaver decided he'd really like a shortstop who could hit (the Orioles had enough Mark Belangers) and moved him to shortstop.

Banix12
01-10-2006, 01:21 AM
No, Ripken came up as a 3B, one of the best prospects in baseball. Earl Weaver decided he'd really like a shortstop who could hit (the Orioles had enough Mark Belangers) and moved him to shortstop.

Correct, he didn't become a full time SS till his third season. I can't really think of any other instances where a big time player or prospect moved from 3rd to SS. Certainly the SS to 3rd switch is far more common. I would guess the switch would have a lot to do with the range of the player.

Tekijawa
01-10-2006, 09:18 AM
Gary Sheffield...

Ol' No. 2
01-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Joe Crede played a game at SS last year.:cool:

MisterB
01-10-2006, 10:25 AM
Gary Sheffield...

Sheff only played 94 games at SS and that was 16 years ago...:?:

Mickster
01-10-2006, 10:34 AM
Joe Crede played a game at SS last year.:cool:

So did Dye. :D:

soxinem1
01-10-2006, 04:12 PM
Usually a player is moved off SS to 3B. Cal was a 3B, went to SS, then back to 3B later. Funny, when Earl Weaver did that, he thought he was adding offense to the SS position, but 3B was as bad of a black hole for the Orioles as it was for the White Sox till Robin came.

I remember Vance Law going from SS to 3B to 2B (with Montreal) and back to 3B. But other than A-Rod, no one else.

Other than a utility type guy who moves around, I cannot think of regular type player that went from 3B to SS for more than just a few games.

But how about a fleet footed CF going to 3B? Anybody remember the Kenny Williams experiment in 1988?

Tekijawa
01-10-2006, 04:26 PM
Sheff only played 94 games at SS and that was 16 years ago...:?:

He made the transition from 3rd when he came up... Last I checked he was Succesful. Just not at the mentioned positions.

ondafarm
01-10-2006, 05:36 PM
SS is probably the most athletic position in baseball. It is hardest on your body. SS have to be able to run and have good reactions and have excellent coordination. 3B really just have to have quick reactions and a certain amount of coordination. Bill Melton was a typical 3B in his day.

doublem23
01-10-2006, 06:50 PM
It is hardest on your body.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7f/Baseball_catcher.jpg/300px-Baseball_catcher.jpg
I disagree.

ondafarm
01-10-2006, 07:12 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7f/Baseball_catcher.jpg/300px-Baseball_catcher.jpg
I disagree.

Allow me to qualify. Catching is hardest on your knees and even now with knee savers still causes more knee surgeries than any other position. A catcher doesn't do a lot of running, diving or leaping (and landing.) I'll take the foultips. Most shortstops do. Your point is taken, catchers wear down faster than any other position but flameballing closer, including SS.

chaerulez
01-10-2006, 07:34 PM
Allow me to qualify. Catching is hardest on your knees and even now with knee savers still causes more knee surgeries than any other position. A catcher doesn't do a lot of running, diving or leaping (and landing.) I'll take the foultips. Most shortstops do. Your point is taken, catchers wear down faster than any other position but flameballing closer, including SS.

Overall the catcher position is a lot harder on the body than shortshop. You see a lot more shortshops playing into the mid and late 30's than you do catchers.

A. Cavatica
01-10-2006, 08:09 PM
I understand about shortstop being the hardest defensive position (leaving catcher aside) and I understand why. Nobody thought Ripken had the quickness or range for short, but he was so good at positioning that he got away with it.

In the Red Sox' case, they have three 3Bs and no shortstop. They focus on offense, not defense. I wonder if they're creative and brave enough to think about Marte at short. I wonder if Marte could handle it.

More likely, though, they trade Marte for Julio Lugo out of desperation.

slavko
01-11-2006, 12:13 PM
A certain blue baseball team tried it in the mid-60's with a certain 3B currently polluting the airwaves for them. It may have been at the same time they were trying their HOF SS in LF. I can't remember that detail.