PDA

View Full Version : 2005 White Sox Artwork....

twinsuck1
01-09-2006, 04:24 PM
This was done by some graffiti artists after the ALCS I think, any how thought It was pretty cool and should be shared.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/Ryke1/General%20Graff/a83a9857.jpg

SOXintheBURGH
01-09-2006, 04:27 PM
I can make out "southside hitmen" but thats it?

SoxSideIrish
01-09-2006, 04:28 PM
Can anyone read that? Or am I the only one having problems?

Palehose13
01-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Yeah...cool.

batmanZoSo
01-09-2006, 04:32 PM
I can make out "southside hitmen" but thats it?

You really need to get in touch with the flavor of the streets. It clearly says WAEPRASPDOFASDLKFJASD;LF

SOXintheBURGH
01-09-2006, 04:34 PM
You really need to get in touch with the flavor of the streets. It clearly says WAEPRASPDOFASDLKFJASD;LF

That's racist, man.

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-09-2006, 04:35 PM
I can kinda make out what looks like Jenks. Its too hard to read.

chisoxfanatic
01-09-2006, 04:36 PM
It's either their rendition of the exploding scoreboard (the smoke, that is), or they put "Southside Hitmen" with the Sox logo on the same area that graffiti was priviously put onto. Those are not names of any of the Sox players or anything meaningful.

Palehose13
01-09-2006, 04:39 PM
It's either their rendition of the exploding scoreboard (the smoke, that is), or they put "Southside Hitmen" with the Sox logo on the same area that graffiti was priviously put onto. Those are not names of any of the Sox players or anything meaningful.

:?:

I could tell you what I think it's a rendition of, but that wouldn't be very nice.

I wish vader was here to tell me what I should do with this thread...

twinsuck1
01-09-2006, 04:39 PM
Its the artists names but they have used a SOX theme to show their support.

Palehose13
01-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Its the artists names but they have used a SOX theme to show their support.

That's a long ass name.

twinsuck1
01-09-2006, 04:43 PM
Its actually six names. Lighten up people, I thought I would be Interesting to share with evryone thats all! Mods If you need to delete the thread by all means do so. Jeez..........

Palehose13
01-09-2006, 04:45 PM
Its actually six names. Lighten up people, I thought I would be Interesting to share with evryone thats all! Mods If you need to delete the thread by all means do do. Jeez..........

No need to delete, but please don't tell me to lighten up. I guess in some circles this stuff is "art". I just hope that it was done with the permission of the owner of the building, otherwise it is a crime.

Soxzilla
01-09-2006, 04:47 PM
I think it looks pretty neat. I know I don't have the artistic ability to create something like that.

twinsuck1
01-09-2006, 04:49 PM
No need to delete, but please don't tell me to lighten up. I guess in some circles this stuff is "art". I just hope that it was done with the permission of the owner of the building, otherwise it is a crime.

Are you kidding me??? How do you think they would get away with something like that illegally? Unbelievable........

Gammons Peter
01-09-2006, 04:49 PM
"graffiti artists" Ha, you call that art, those people should be arrested

twinsuck1
01-09-2006, 04:58 PM

Yes as a matter a fact I do call it art, many people do. Big time corporations are even using this as a form of advertisement now as well ie:Time Magazine, Axe deodarant spray, Sony Playstation to name a few. I don't call what kids do running around spraypainting on peoples property Illegally art (I don't agree with that at all), but the murals painted legally with time and subject matter across building sides i do. I did not post this to start a big stink, only to share with people who might enjoy taking a gander at this mural.

Palehose13
01-09-2006, 05:00 PM
Are you kidding me??? How do you think they would get away with something like that illegally? Unbelievable........

What am I kidding you about? What is so unbelievable? People illegally paint graffiti all the time. Are you suggesting that some people don't? Are you kidding me? :wink: If it is their building or they had permission, great. That is the way it should be.

twinsuck1
01-09-2006, 05:02 PM
What am I kidding you about? What is so unbelievable? People illegally paint graffiti all the time. Are you suggesting that some people don't? Are you kidding me? :wink: If it is their building or they had permission, great. That is the way it should be.

Yes, I understand what you are saying, but something of this size and detail... I think that would be pretty hard to get away with illegally.

Baby Fisk
01-09-2006, 05:22 PM
Reminds me of this:

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/arts/2003/11/28/APguernica3.jpg

IggyD
01-09-2006, 08:09 PM
If that is Art, then this ----> http://www.poopface.com/gfx/poopy.gif must be a masterpiece.

batmanZoSo
01-09-2006, 08:12 PM
Reminds me of this:

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/arts/2003/11/28/APguernica3.jpg

Take that, Guernica...

JGarlandrules20
01-09-2006, 09:25 PM
That's a long ass name. Lol. :D:

I think it looks cool. It took me a second glance to see the sox logo.

Dan Mega
01-09-2006, 09:35 PM
I think it looks neat.

SoxSideIrish
01-09-2006, 09:36 PM
Reminds me of this:

Except that has themes and meanings.

I'm not convinced theres anything to the grafitti besides scribbles.

But whatever, to each his own.

Elvisfan1977
01-09-2006, 10:55 PM

I think somebody needs a nap...

Who cares what anyone else thinks. If this mural moves you then, yes, it is art. But don't get bent out of shape because others don't agree with you.

1951Campbell
01-09-2006, 11:00 PM
I didn't know that Abe Simpson posted here so much until I read this thread. :D:

SOXintheBURGH
01-10-2006, 12:48 AM
Take that, Guernica...

Take that, Birth of Man!

milrtyme28
01-10-2006, 12:48 AM
I think it is fantastic - I would love to have a better picture if you have one, maybe a bigger one?

rjdaly28@comcast.net

Thanks man!

Two By Four
01-10-2006, 12:52 AM
Does anyone know where this is exactly (location)?

chi_guy
01-10-2006, 09:09 AM
Graffiti is criminal. We should not be promoting this stuff.

doublem23
01-10-2006, 09:14 AM

No, it's only a crime if the artist doesn't own the property/doesn't have permission. Since I don't have a title to prove who owns this property in question, and being a good American who believes that everyone is innocent until proven guilty, I'm going to respectfully disagree with you.

Not my cup of tea, but you at least have to be impressed with the detail and skill it has to take. I know whenever I try and spray paint stuff, I'm glad if I can get a straight line.

Law11
01-10-2006, 09:44 AM
This was done by some graffiti artists after the ALCS I think, any how thought It was pretty cool and should be shared.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/Ryke1/General%20Graff/a83a9857.jpg

I grew up doing the whole graffitti artist thing and i'm having issues reading it..

Tekijawa
01-10-2006, 09:50 AM
I grew up doing the whole graffitti artist thing and i'm having issues reading it..

That's Illegal... And you're not an Artist! :redneck

My dad is an Art Professor at NIU and they have actually looked into recruiting people from tagging crews. It may not be your cup of tea but a lot of these artists have more tallent than a majority of the incoming freshmen.

I think it's cool, but I also think Talking to people I've never met over the internet about White Sox baseball is cool too, some people don't.

Rocky Soprano
01-10-2006, 09:51 AM
I think somebody needs a nap...

Who cares what anyone else thinks. If this mural moves you then, yes, it is art. But don't get bent out of shape because others don't agree with you.

I think somebody needs to learn their colors.

:tealtutor:

Chicago
01-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Like it or not, there is no denying that this is art, it takes time, skill and imagination...

I have done graffiti art... I would love to see those that criticize attempt to create their own "artless" work.

I like it...

Martinigirl
01-10-2006, 11:54 AM
I am always fascinated by people's reactions to art. I have an art history degree and I distinctly remember my father telling me, 'I could have done that!' when he saw the work of the artist that was the subject of my thesis paper.

Art it what speaks to you, but it is also what creates a response. The worst thing for any artist is to be ignored, so like it or hate it, most of you did have a reaction to the work, even if it was just to hate the medium.

And as far as graffiti 'artists', I imagine the charities thriving off the money from Keith Harring's estate would agree that it is art, and can be highly profitable art.

Palehose13
01-10-2006, 12:02 PM

I aksed earlier in the thread if the artists had the permission of the property owner. I thought it was a legit question, because I did not want to promote illegal graffiti on this site. The thread starter told me that the artists did have permission.

Like it or not, there is no denying that this is art, it takes time, skill and imagination...

I have done graffiti art... I would love to see those that criticize attempt to create their own "artless" work.

I like it...

Sure it's art, but there is a lot of crappy art out there. I would be less critical if they would have at least gotten the logo correct. The "S" is pretty ****ed up. I'm not a visual artist, but I am a musician. Just because someone can pick up my drumsticks and bang on my kit doesn't make them musicians. :wink:

However, I am not an anti-graffiti person. We have some beautiful graffiti murals here in Milwaukee. All I see here is a supposed list of names, "southside hitmen" (which is inaccurate when thinking about the 2005 team), and a messed up Sox logo. Just because it has to do with White Sox doesn't mean that I have to like it. :tongue:

Chicago
01-10-2006, 01:04 PM
I am a musician. Just because someone can pick up my drumsticks and bang on my kit doesn't make them musicians. :wink:

Just because it has to do with White Sox doesn't mean that I have to like it. :tongue:

Oh i agree, i never said you had to like it.
Some may not like that form of art but that does not take away from what it is.

Anther example of this would be my dj equipment. There are those that would say that my turntables are not musical instraments, and that I am not a musician.

cbone
01-10-2006, 02:24 PM
Not my cup of tea. I can make out something in the middle that is either Shingo, after blowing another save or the martian from the Bugs Bunny cartoons or the love child of both. (No teal intended) I appreciate the effort and time that went into it but it just doesn't appeal to me.

Law11
01-10-2006, 02:40 PM

I hope youre kidding... I grew up learning graffitti art (80's) (never did any vandalizing) but always loved to draw and took it to that level. That
art got me into art school which years later
now has me as a creative director for a
marketing department in a large Chicago company.

For whats its worth, grafitti artists are different than the "hood" tag artists
who have no real talent.

Art is in the eye of the beholder.

twinsuck1
01-10-2006, 02:52 PM
I hope youre kidding... I grew up learning graffitti art (80's) (never did any vandalizing) but always loved to draw and took it to that level. That
art got me into art school which years later
now has me as a creative director for a
marketing department in a large Chicago company.

For whats its worth, grafitti artists are different than the "hood" tag artists
who have no real talent.

Art is in the eye of the beholder.

Thank you, all I wanted to do Is share the piece with some fellow White Sox fans thats all. I also myself was a Graffiti artist when I was a teenager and painted many walls (Legally) and some people have no Idea how much time or effort goes into these murals. I took the skills I learned painting walls and now use this toward graphic design and canvas work and have now started my own business. GANGBANGER type scribbles you see Illegally on walls, and Graffiti Art productions are two totally seperate forms of graffiti. GO SOX!

Law11
01-10-2006, 04:29 PM
Thank you, all I wanted to do Is share the piece with some fellow White Sox fans thats all. I also myself was a Graffiti artist when I was a teenager and painted many walls (Legally) and some people have no Idea how much time or effort goes into these murals. I took the skills I learned painting walls and now use this toward graphic design and canvas work and have now started my own business. GANGBANGER type scribbles you see Illegally on walls, and Graffiti Art productions are two totally seperate forms of graffiti. GO SOX!

Some folks just close their minds to anything they deem not to their liking.

Whattya gonna do...

Palehose13
01-10-2006, 04:35 PM
Some folks just close their minds to anything they deem not to their liking.

Whattya gonna do...

Or I just don't like it. That doesn't make me close-mided. Trust me, I am far from that...

Law11
01-10-2006, 09:18 PM
Or I just don't like it. That doesn't make me close-mided. Trust me, I am far from that...

Thats fine. I'm tired of arguing over something that has nothing to do with the Sox. There are a few posts in this thread that take this beyond just not liking it.

soxinem1
01-10-2006, 09:33 PM
Well, I guess we have a dual conflict brewing here. I prefer to look at it this way. Some people are more aggressive with their tastes and others are more calm, or neutral. If grafitti art is your taste, then you tend to draw towards something like this mural. If you prefer landscapes on canvass, then chances are this is not your bag of tea.

So someone offering a picture that appears to pay homage to the White Sox is not a bad thing, some people here like it, some don't. That's okay, but the effort here is obviously very detailed and took some time, so we can at least applaud the effort.

Since artistic interpretation can be in the eye of the artist and the viewer, it basically comes down to this question: Do you like it or not?

I personally did not like the mural and would never okay something like that on my walls, but again, some people enjoy this kind of style. But someone obviously took some serious time to pay tribute to the Sox, so that's all we need to interpret from it. I sincerely doubt this was criminal, the tagging art is nowhere near as detailed.

Realist
01-10-2006, 09:58 PM
What follows is a poem written by an old girlfriend. If you found this by Googling your name, hi Sara! :yoohoo:

--------------------------------------------

Graffito.

IN NEW YAWK THEY CALLED IT

ART

for awhile.

Then came the Great Campaign to clean the trains

and discourage those creatively able street wisdoms
from wise boys marking their territory with such visual
interpretations of 'scent'

In Chicago it was never that cool -- no trend here
to celebrate the local logos -- to honor colors worn
because boys culdn't spel

no paparazzi for the illegally literate
slinging words like slinging hash in the big house

which is just one stop away

noRiskNopainWhenYurWritingOntheATrain

Gotta do somethin' with your time between drops
no risk no gain

score the pop for the drop a ten spot for your lot
**** Art and always keep your bag packed

cuz a loss'll only send you to Homeboy Heaven, 'n it
sure ain't no hamburger joint

you should always have your bag ready

Boy

'n don't forget your paint.

-Sara Kuhns

1951Campbell
01-10-2006, 10:38 PM
I would never say that that mural is Great Art, but it does take more skill and mastery of craft than many works by "artists" that many folks simply accept as "artists" simply because no one wants to point out that the Emperor has no clothes. To wit:

http://www.ooer.com/content/php/2/mondrian.jpg

The graffiti artists had to learn a lot more than Mondrian, in my opinion.

My point: yeah, it's not Velaquez, but it's more impressive than about half the stuff in, say, the Guggenheim or the MoMA in San Francisco.

Domeshot17
01-10-2006, 11:24 PM
What a messed up thread. Its all interpretation. Few years ago I got dragged to an art auction. There was some white layout with a blue circle that sold for like 12 grand. To me, it was just some dumb blue circle, but to someone else its the best thing their eyes have witnessed. I think its cool because it flows. I have no idea what it says, but I think it looks cool.

But to argue this is like having a fight over if rap music or metal or country or whatever else is good or bad. You like it or you dont. I figure it as I could never do anything like that, so I respect it.

miker
01-11-2006, 09:02 PM
I think it looks pretty neat. I know I don't have the artistic ability to create something like that.
That's why every railroad in the country has equipment you can practice on...

miker
01-11-2006, 09:05 PM
I am a musician. Just because someone can pick up my drumsticks and bang on my kit doesn't make them musicians.
Out of respect I will avoid bringing out my cachet of "drummer" jokes.:wink: