PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Street and Smith's Baseball cover...whats wrong with this picture???

Medford Bobby
01-09-2006, 03:10 PM
http://www.streetandsmiths.com/images/gallery/base06/reg08_large.jpg:o:

DaleJRFan
01-09-2006, 03:12 PM
Is Derrik Lee in the on-deck circle?

Palehose13
01-09-2006, 03:13 PM
I don't see anything wrong with it.

skobabe8
01-09-2006, 03:14 PM
Startin the year off right!

Fredsox
01-09-2006, 03:14 PM
Paulie's bat has been touched up to be light instead of dark.

Jerko
01-09-2006, 03:16 PM
Konerko's melon is the "A" in the word baseball, when obviously Lee has more of an "A" shaped head.

getonbckthr
Ya I can't believe the Sox finished behind the Cubs last year!

VivaOzzie
Paulie's bat has been touched up to be light instead of dark.

Is that really a :o: -able offense?

Gotta be something else...

Jerko
01-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Is that really a :o: -able offense?

Gotta be something else...

I'm assuming the fact Lee is in the forefront is the offense?

Palehose13
01-09-2006, 03:26 PM

That is what I immediately assumed was the "offense". I'm sorry guys, D.Lee had a better year than Konerko. But you know what? It's OK. The Sox are the defending world series champs. Notice what is the middle headline on the red bar? :cool:

Forget about the cubs guys...your life will be much more peaceful.

34 Inch Stick
01-09-2006, 03:42 PM
I thought the problem is that the cover says Chicago's Hits with Paulie obviously hitting the ball (watching it's flight) while Lee obviously missed the ball.

Ol' No. 2
01-09-2006, 03:46 PM
I know....I know....

They should have had the entire White Sox team on the cover and not just Konerko.:rolleyes:

VivaOzzie
01-09-2006, 03:46 PM
If it were reversed, and Konerko was in the foreground and Lee in back, someone would probably just complain that Wrigley was used as the backdrop. :rolleyes:

:whocares

Hangar18
01-09-2006, 03:47 PM
That is what I immediately assumed was the "offense". I'm sorry guys, D.Lee had a better year than Konerko. But you know what? It's OK. The Sox are the defending world series champs. Notice what is the middle headline on the red bar? :cool:

Forget about the cubs guys...your life will be much more peaceful.

Derrek Lee has nothing to do with this ......... he has no business being on the cover. I remember on year Wood being on it, and another The Messiah.
The Cubs have accomplished exactly NOTHING, yet they keep getting front cover star treatment, which they dont deserve. Im Sorry, Derrek Lee has no business being on this cover. Did Lee get the ALCS MVP? No.
Did he hit a Grand Slam in the World Series. No. Did he hit 2 key homers in the ALCS? No. Lee doesnt warrant front cover status.

Medford Bobby
01-09-2006, 03:47 PM
:smile: I would have liked to see some more Sox photos like Garland and Buehrle with Konerko....and a very small window shot of Derek Lee. But Lee had a better year than the Sox I guess.........:D:
:bandance: Medford Bobby's first baseball cover complaint of 2006!!:bandance:

Baby Fisk
01-09-2006, 03:51 PM
Question: is this one of those magazines that is published with several regional covers based on geographic distribution?

Palehose13
01-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Derrek Lee has nothing to do with this ......... he has no business being on the cover. I remember on year Wood being on it, and another The Messiah.
The Cubs have accomplished exactly NOTHING, yet they keep getting front cover star treatment, which they dont deserve. Im Sorry, Derrek Lee has no business being on this cover. Did Lee get the ALCS MVP? No.
Did he hit a Grand Slam in the World Series. No. Did he hit 2 key homers in the ALCS? No. Lee doesnt warrant front cover status.

.335/47/107 doesn't warrant a cover? Derrek Lee had an absolutely amazing year last year. I guess when Frank Thomas was on baseball preview covers in past years he didn't deserve it because he didn't win the world series.

Henry, I like you a lot man, but get over it. Here is something that is going to floor you...I would trade Konerko for D. Lee in a heartbeat. :o: :wink:

Maybe the biggest injustice is that Dye isn't on the cover. He was the world series MVP...

Fenway
01-09-2006, 03:55 PM
Question: is this one of those magazines that is published with several regional covers based on geographic distribution?

Yup 14 of them

White Sox champs poster in 6 of them
http://www.streetandsmiths.com/covers_base06.html

http://www.streetandsmiths.com/images/gallery/base06/reg01_large.jpg

russ99
01-09-2006, 03:56 PM
I don't know:

CUBS Triple Crown Threat Derek Lee
and White Sox World Series Hero Paul Konerko

I think that's an :o: offense...

It's not like Lee even came close to winning the Triple Crown! :angry:

Wanna bet Street & Smith's is a Cubune Company??

rocky biddle
01-09-2006, 04:01 PM
Maybe it's because they're trying to get cub and Sox fans to buy their magazine.

Palehose13
01-09-2006, 04:02 PM
Maybe it's because they're trying to get cub and Sox fans to buy their magazine.

Shut up with that logic!

SOXintheBURGH
01-09-2006, 04:02 PM

Golly, I think he has it!

Chicago has two baseball franchises. This has been going on for over one hundred years.

Palehose13
01-09-2006, 04:04 PM
It's not like Lee even came close to winning the Triple Crown! :angry:

He didn't? :?: Seriously guys, life is better when you don't waste your time worrying/making up **** like this.

Baby Fisk
01-09-2006, 04:05 PM
Yup 14 of them

That Bonds cover is pretty snide: "Legend or Loser?" Wow.

Dick Allen
01-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Maybe it's because they're trying to get cub and Sox fans to buy their magazine.Yeah, but there have been times, as Hangar pointed out, where there was a cub player on the cover and no Sox player. So they weren't trying to sell magazines to Sox fans? I guess the fact that Lee is on the cover doesn't bother me, we should be used to this sort of thing by now anyway.

Fenway
01-09-2006, 04:07 PM
Yeah, but there have been times, as Hangar pointed out, where there was a cub player on the cover and no Sox player. So they weren't trying to sell magazines to Sox fans? I guess the fact that Lee is on the cover doesn't bother me, we should be used to this sort of thing by now anyway.

don't have to go back far Here is the 2005 Midwest cover
http://www.streetandsmiths.com/images/gallery/base05_large/reg13_cover.jpg

rocky biddle
01-09-2006, 04:25 PM
Yeah, but there have been times, as Hangar pointed out, where there was a cub player on the cover and no Sox player. So they weren't trying to sell magazines to Sox fans? I guess the fact that Lee is on the cover doesn't bother me, we should be used to this sort of thing by now anyway.

Maybe Street and Smith's had previously bought into the media presumption that there are only cub fans in Chicago? So this year's inclusion of players from both Chicago teams just shows how far we've come. Not only are the Sox represented this year, but their chance to repeat is the topic of a story included in every magazine, not just our market. I think that's much better than having to share the cover.
I think the main thing to take away from this is, we're gonna have to deal with a lot of "could this finally be the cubs' year" bs in 2006. We might as well just get used to it and learn to ignore it. We know who the real team in Chicago is and that's all that matters.

Dick Allen
01-09-2006, 04:36 PM
Maybe Street and Smith's had previously bought into the media presumption that there are only cub fans in Chicago? So this year's inclusion of players from both Chicago teams just shows how far we've come. Not only are the Sox represented this year, but their chance to repeat is the topic of a story included in every magazine, not just our market. I think that's much better than having to share the cover.
I think the main thing to take away from this is, we're gonna have to deal with a lot of "could this finally be the cubs' year" bs in 2006. We might as well just get used to it and learn to ignore it. We know who the real team in Chicago is and that's all that matters.No argument here.

Ol' No. 2
01-09-2006, 04:36 PM
http://www.streetandsmiths.com/images/gallery/base05_large/reg13_cover.jpgBut that was 2005. The Cubs were contenders, at least for a while, but the Sox didn't do anything memorable.:rolleyes:

If you need teal for this, seek immediate help.

cheeses_h_rice
01-09-2006, 04:39 PM
http://www.freeonlinegames.com/images/2291.jpg

"It's Gary Coleman time! It's Gary Coleman time! It's Gary Coleman time!"

Hangar18
01-09-2006, 04:45 PM
But that was 2005. The Cubs were contenders, at least for a while, but the Sox didn't do anything memorable.

The CUBS were not contenders ..... at least nobody was really picking them.
Look at the byline next to Nomar ....."will Nomars return mean a World Series appearance for the Cubbies?" that junks nonsense. The SOX had the actual legitimate chance entering 2005, having entered the season with ALL OF THEIR HOLES FILLED as opposed to other years. That was just yet another excuse to put them undeservedly on the cover.

thepaulbowski
01-09-2006, 04:54 PM
It's a REGIONAL cover folks. Lee had a fantastic year last year (was in triple crown contention for a while) and Konerko was a World Series hero. They both deserve some respect. I don't care about past covers, live in the now. I'm not sure what the problem is here.

Maybe bitching just to bitch, I don't know. :dunno:

Lip Man 1
01-09-2006, 04:55 PM
This is all much to do about nothing.

Last I looked the World Series trophy resided on the South Side...nothing else matters.

Lip

MadetoOrta
01-09-2006, 05:00 PM
This is all much to do about nothing.

Last I looked the World Series trophy resided on the South Side...nothing else matters.

Lip

Bingo. Who %&$@ cares? Wanna have some fun? Get tickets [I intend to] to the first Sox-cubs game at the Urinal this year. Wear your World Champion gear and hats and just sit back and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!! Magazine covers? Don't sweat it Hangar!

MadetoOrta
01-09-2006, 05:01 PM
.....of course if a Derek Lee mural goes up on the Dan Ryan next to the WS trophy someone's gonna get angry..... me

NonetheLoaiza
01-09-2006, 05:25 PM
I really hate to mention anything about it, but c'mon...some people are really too concerned with the Cubs. Why spend time getting ulcers about things that aren't worth it. Lee is on the cover because he had an unbelievable year last year. If the Cubs had anyone at all get on in front of him, the guy would have had an even more amazing year. That's just baseball. Let's all just take a deep breath and get ready as the Sox defend their crown (with or without the media behind them).

NSSoxFan
01-09-2006, 05:36 PM
I think I remember taking my picture with the 2005 World Series trophy this past weekend, not a magazine.

Palehose13
01-09-2006, 05:57 PM
I think I remember taking my picture with the 2005 World Series trophy this past weekend, not a magazine.
:thumbsup:

DumpJerry
01-09-2006, 06:15 PM
One more time:
We swept the World Series.

Now breathe.

Nothing else matters. Really. As an old friend told me the other day: "You guys got the trophy that trumps all other trophies."

spiffie
01-09-2006, 07:03 PM
Bingo. Who %&$@ cares? Wanna have some fun? Get tickets [I intend to] to the first Sox-cubs game at the Urinal this year. Wear your World Champion gear and hats and just sit back and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!! Magazine covers? Don't sweat it Hangar!
Does going to the Crosstown games at Wrigley count as Flubsessed? I mean, there are other interleague games you could go to instead.

Palehose13
01-09-2006, 07:13 PM
Does going to the Crosstown games at Wrigley count as Flubsessed? I mean, there are other interleague games you could go to instead.
I think some of you need to think about what we mean by "Flubsessed". Occasionally mentioning the cubs or talking about a trade they made or something that happened during one of their games is ok. Constantly bringing the cubs into almost every discussion, believing that there is a media conspiracy, and acting like you are more of a fan against the cubs instead of a fan of the sox is being flubsessed.

To answer your question about going to a Sox game at Wrigley, I would never set foot into that ****hole. :wink:

seanpmurphy
01-09-2006, 07:14 PM

I thought it was that guy in the bubble in the corner, he's not even on a Chicago team!

bigfoot
01-09-2006, 07:34 PM

Paulie's is obviously watching a hard-hit drive.
DLee is engaged in some stretching exercise.

seanpmurphy
01-09-2006, 08:12 PM
Paulie's is obviously watching a hard-hit drive.
DLee is engaged in some stretching exercise.

:roflmao:

Corlose 15
01-09-2006, 08:33 PM
Yup 14 of them

http://www.streetandsmiths.com/images/gallery/base06/reg01_large.jpg

I think the real question should be whats wrong with this picture. I'll give you a hint....its hideous and red. :redneck

kittle42
01-09-2006, 08:34 PM
The best thing about this thread is the number of people who immedaitely jumped on the original poster for getting bent out of shape about absolutely nothing.

We're coming around on these boards! :cool:

Palehose13
01-09-2006, 08:36 PM
The best thing about this thread is the number of people who immedaitely jumped on the original poster for getting bent out of shape about absolutely nothing.

We're coming around on these boards! :cool:

It takes time, but change will happen!

kittle42
01-09-2006, 08:36 PM
Also, the inferiority complex that some Sox fans appear to still have, despite winning a World Championship, will only feed the tired barbs of Cubdumb against our fanbase. So stop it, please. Let them enjoy "summer" (beginning February 24) and we can enjoy a year of championship defending baseball.

Jjav829
01-09-2006, 08:41 PM
I think I know what is wrong. Look at the words in bigger font at the top: "Rickie Weeks" "White Sox" "Steroids." Rickie Weeks says the White Sox are on steroids! That bastard!

Dan Mega
01-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Sox are still World Champs. This doesn't change the fact.

Who cares??

Palehose13
01-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Also, the inferiority complex that some Sox fans appear to still have, despite winning a World Championship, will only feed the tired barbs of Cubdumb against our fanbase. So stop it, please. Let them enjoy "summer" (beginning February 24) and we can enjoy a year of championship defending baseball.

But part of what defines who we are as Sox fans is our hatred for all things cubbie. Besides, now that the Sox are World Series champions, we have nothing to bitch about anymore...so we must hate on the cubs and their fans more!

TornLabrum
01-09-2006, 09:11 PM
But part of what defines who we are as Sox fans is our hatred for all things cubbie. Besides, now that the Sox are World Series champions, we have nothing to bitch about anymore...so we must hate on the cubs and their fans more!

Exactly! That way we give them something to bitch about!

Rudy Law
01-09-2006, 11:33 PM
I think its obvious that Paulie is Flying out and Derek Lee is hitting a Home run.......How dare they!!...Also where do they get the guts to write an article asking if the White Sox can repeat?.....God we get no respect.....We win the World Series and the dare ponder whether we can do it again......

woodenleg
01-10-2006, 06:35 AM
Golly, I think he has it!

Chicago has two baseball franchises. This has been going on for over one hundred years.

I don't know if this cover means anything, but what is it with people straining themselves telling people to 'forget about the Cubs already!'

As a Chicagoan who pays taxes and everything, I think it's only fair to ask what the hell was going on in all of those years when we didn't win a championship. All of those years when we had to listen to and read lies and propaganda. I still live in this city, still follow the news. Still live on the north side. The world series is not a 'fix' to alleviate our woes. Also, I'm a baseball fan and follow it generally - are you people seriously arguing we shouldn't pay attention to anyone but the White Sox? And here I thought the fans touted themselves as 'more knowledgeable' than that.

The World Series doesn't let the corrupt ones off the hook. It's not a bribe. I thought we knew that. Of course, this is Chicago - accepting bribes is second nature to some people.

zach23
01-10-2006, 07:39 AM
The SOX had the actual legitimate chance entering 2005, having entered the season with ALL OF THEIR HOLES FILLED as opposed to other years.

I thought they were screwed because C. Lee was traded to save money and Dye would never replace Maggs numbers? I thought I remember you saying that they only got Dye because he was cheap and they still had holes in the OF? I thought you said this team didn't have enough offense to be legitimate contenders, and that offense and pitching is what wins? Weren't you also in a rage that the cubs were able to trade for Nomar and the Sox didn't go out and get him?
Maybe Street and Smith's agreed with you at the start of 2005. Funny that now you are mad at them for having the same view that you did.

Hangar18
01-10-2006, 08:04 AM
I think some of you need to think about what we mean by "Flubsessed"................ believing that there is a media conspiracy..........

But George Knue said ..............

Hangar18
01-10-2006, 08:17 AM
I thought you said this team didn't have enough offense to be legitimate contenders, and that offense and pitching is what wins?

not to get away from the subject here, but KENNY WILLIAMS also acknowledged this team didnt have enough offense and went out this season to address that. And did a pretty nice job at it too. Rob Mackowiak? Nice. Jim Thome? Hes the same type of hitter Paulie is, but still Very Nice pickup. Next.

Hangar18
01-10-2006, 08:18 AM
I don't know if this cover means anything, but what is it with people straining themselves telling people to 'forget about the Cubs already!'

As a Chicagoan who pays taxes and everything, I think it's only fair to ask what the hell was going on in all of those years when we didn't win a championship. All of those years when we had to listen to and read lies and propaganda. I still live in this city, still follow the news. Still live on the north side. The world series is not a 'fix' to alleviate our woes. Also, I'm a baseball fan and follow it generally - are you people seriously arguing we shouldn't pay attention to anyone but the White Sox? And here I thought the fans touted themselves as 'more knowledgeable' than that.

The World Series doesn't let the corrupt ones off the hook. It's not a bribe. I thought we knew that. Of course, this is Chicago - accepting bribes is second nature to some people.

NICE :smile:

hsnterprize
01-10-2006, 08:32 AM
All this dialogue is funny to say the least, but let's slow down, y'all. Others have said, and so will I...

Who cares if a regional magazine wants to put a Cub on the cover? Derrek Lee, despite what uniform he wore last year, had a pretty good season. I'm thinking many of the folks bitching about Lee being on this cover would complain if Lee had the kind of year in a Sox uniform..."Why ISN'T Derrek Lee on the cover?" or something to that effect.

It's okay, folks. It's not about media bias or conspiracies or anything like that. And even if it was, it doesn't change the fact the the White Sox, not the Cubs, won the World Series last year. Pictures from last season end with the Sox, not the Cubs, celebrating a World Championship. Highlights on TV show the Sox, not the Cubs, ending an 88-year drought. Fans were at U.S. Cellular Field last post-season, not Wrigley Field. Let's get ourselves together, folks. Let's not give the detractors more reason to believe all of us Sox fans care more about the Cubs than we do our own team.

zach23
01-10-2006, 08:57 AM
not to get away from the subject here, but KENNY WILLIAMS also acknowledged this team didnt have enough offense and went out this season to address that. And did a pretty nice job at it too. Rob Mackowiak? Nice. Jim Thome? Hes the same type of hitter Paulie is, but still Very Nice pickup. Next.

So you are sticking to your assessment that they didn't have enough offense to be legitimate contenders in 2005? That was your assessment at the start of 2005 and through most of the season on up to the day they clinched the division. Now you are saying that they were legitimate contenders from the start of the season and Street and Smith's should have thought so as well?
So which is it?
Or is it another case where you didn't give the team much credit but now complain that some magazine did the same thing?
Next.

Iwritecode
01-10-2006, 10:14 AM

This is a White Sox site and we're White Sox fans. Discussing the Cubs as a baseball team/rival is ok but when people get upset because Derek Lee happens to be sharing a cover with Paul Konerko is a little rediculous. The Sox are the World Champions. Nothing the Cubs or anyone else does will change that.

As a Chicagoan who pays taxes and everything, I think it's only fair to ask what the hell was going on in all of those years when we didn't win a championship. All of those years when we had to listen to and read lies and propaganda.

To paraphrase Ozzie "We didn't have no curse. Just horse**** teams." As far as the lies and propaganda, no need to quit reading the Tribune.

I still live in this city, still follow the news. Still live on the north side. The world series is not a 'fix' to alleviate our woes.

So you're saying you're not happy with the World Series? Maybe it's just me but a World Championship sure helps to forget all those losses in previous years.

[QUOTE=woodenleg]Also, I'm a baseball fan and follow it generally - are you people seriously arguing we shouldn't pay attention to anyone but the White Sox? And here I thought the fans touted themselves as 'more knowledgeable' than that.

Sure being knowlegable about other teams and players is one thing. Whining because the player of another team is on a magazine cover is not considered "knowlegable".

A bribe? :?: Some people are just never happy. Meanwhile, I'm gonna go enjoy being a fan of the World Champs...

Palehose13
01-10-2006, 10:47 AM

*sigh* Yet another one who doesn't see the difference. Let's take a look at two threads, this one and "Patterson traded to the Orioles". In the Patterson thread, no one tells anyone else to forget about the cubs. Why? Because it is legitimate baseball talk. However, with this thread, the purpose was to try and point out some injustice against the Sox by having Derrek Lee and Paul Konerko share the cover of a regional magazine.

As a Chicagoan who pays taxes and everything, I think it's only fair to ask what the hell was going on in all of those years when we didn't win a championship. All of those years when we had to listen to and read lies and propaganda. I still live in this city, still follow the news. Still live on the north side.
Good for you. You get a cookie. Now what was your point when you wrote all of this?

The world series is not a 'fix' to alleviate our woes.
You still have woes? I have no idea what they could be. The White Sox are World Champs. That's good enough for me. If your "woes" are cub fans giving you ****, you got the best response to them: World Series Champs. That should shut them up, if not they are ignorant. Or maybe a world series championship isn't good enough for you.

Also, I'm a baseball fan and follow it generally - are you people seriously arguing we shouldn't pay attention to anyone but the White Sox? And here I thought the fans touted themselves as 'more knowledgeable' than that.

Hey, me too! There is a difference between obsessing about the cubs and paying attention to them. See my earlier example about the two threads if you need clarification. When Sox fans spend more time bashing and obsessing the cubs and their fans instead of having knowledgeable baseball conversations, it is embarassing. It makes one no better than the cub fans that say that all Sox fans are white trash, etc...

***? Seriously...what in the world are you talking about?!?!? Who is corrupt and needs to be let off the hook? The tribune company? Don't buy that newspaper. I don't.

There is a difference between being Flubsessed and discussing the cubs, just like there is a difference between being a dark cloud and being critical. :cool:

Fenway
01-10-2006, 10:55 AM
Interesting look at some of their other covers

In Southern California no sign of the Dodgers
Region 13: Southern California

Cover: Chone Figgins (LAA)
Inset: Jake Peavy (SD)
http://www.streetandsmiths.com/images/gallery/base06/reg13_large.jpg

In fact Chicago was the only region where they split the cover 50-50. ( with the Brewers getting the insert) Every other 2 team market one team was made the insert.

Hangar18
01-10-2006, 11:12 AM

In fact Chicago was the only region where they split the cover 50-50. ( with the Brewers getting the insert) Every other 2 team market one team was made the insert.

That is INDEED interesting. The Angels had a better year than the Dodgers, and so warranted an entire cover. The White Sox? Oh, they won the WORLD SERIES, but for whatever reason, they had to stick a 4th place cub on the cover alongside Paulie, as if theyre season were just as great.

zach23
01-10-2006, 11:16 AM

Nice going, way to fan the flames of paranoia. :D:

Iwritecode
01-10-2006, 11:29 AM

Chicago was the only region to have 3 teams represented on the Cover. Every other one had one or two.

Detriot, Minnesota, Kansas City and LA Dodgers are nowhere to be found...

Hitmen77
01-10-2006, 11:39 AM
http://www.streetandsmiths.com/images/gallery/base05_large/reg13_cover.jpg

I just think it's funny that S&S suggested that Nomar may carry the Cubs to the World Series.

Hitmen77
01-10-2006, 12:38 PM
I think Sox fans need to sit back and realize that the Cubs have been thoroughly knocked off of their "media darlings" pedestal by our World Series win. Before the Sox became world champs, the media fawning over the Cubs and ignoring the Sox was just sickening. In the past, every year in January there was big hype for the Cubs Convention and barely a mention of SoxFest. Endless hype over Cubs spring training - oh and by the way the Sox are in ST too. Cubs Opening Day was treated like a local holiday by the local media while you were hard pressed to find out when the Sox opener was if you weren't a Sox fan.

Things have been different since October. Everyone's talking about the Sox now. The Cubs suddenly seem irrelevant. Look for SoxFest to get more coverage than the other team's convention. Spring training coverage will be shockingly different for Flub fans this year. And as far as Opening NIGHT goes, I can only imagine that the Sox's prime-time, national TV, banner-raising event will get alot of attention.

Does this swing to the Sox make us just as bad as the Cubs were before? Nope, we earned our spotlight by being world champs, not by being lovable losers.

How long will this media honeymoon with the Sox last? I have no idea, but in the meantime, enjoy it folks! Stop looking for any possible slight against the Sox that might be out there. And, yes, watch Cub fans whine that their team is no longer the center of the universe.

longshot7
01-10-2006, 03:54 PM

I'm not sure why this is in teal. The above is true. If some of you folks want to stop hating the Cubs 'cause of our newfound success, fine. But please don't tell the rest of us to stop.

My two favorite teams will ALWAYS be the White Sox and whoever is playing the Cubs.

zach23
01-10-2006, 04:08 PM
I'm not sure why this is in teal. The above is true. If some of you folks want to stop hating the Cubs 'cause of our newfound success, fine. But please don't tell the rest of us to stop.

My two favorite teams will ALWAYS be the White Sox and whoever is playing the Cubs.

I wouldn't doubt that almost everyone here hates them, and I don't think that anyone is telling anyone else to stop hating them.
PH13 and her lawyers put it best when they said this in a previous post:

There is a difference between obsessing about the cubs and paying attention to them. See my earlier example about the two threads if you need clarification. When Sox fans spend more time bashing and obsessing the cubs and their fans instead of having knowledgeable baseball conversations, it is embarassing. It makes one no better than the cub fans that say that all Sox fans are white trash, etc...

Palehose13
01-10-2006, 04:14 PM

It's in teal because obsession about the cubs is ridiculous. I hate the cubs, but I don't feel the need to constantly bash them or their fans. This does not make me any less of a Sox fan. What makes me a Sox fan is my love for the White Sox, not my hatred of the cubs...that would make me a cub-hater instead of a Sox fan.

We are not telling anyone on this site to stop hating the cubs. Currently we are asking nicely to stop obsessing over them. I am not so sure that we will be so nice about it in the future.

Palehose13
01-10-2006, 04:15 PM
I wouldn't doubt that almost everyone here hates them, and I don't think that anyone is telling anyone else to stop hating them.
IWC put it best when he said this in a previous post:

Ahem...it wasn't IWriteCode who wrote that. :wink:

zach23
01-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Ahem...it wasn't IWriteCode who wrote that. :wink:

Ooops, sorry. When I scrolled back I looked at the wrong name.

Palehose13
01-10-2006, 04:21 PM
Ooops, sorry. When I scrolled back I looked at the wrong name.

No worries. Just fix the damn thing before I call my lawyer.

zach23
01-10-2006, 04:31 PM
No worries. Just fix the damn thing before I call my lawyer.

Fixed. :redneck

longshot7
01-11-2006, 01:08 AM
It's in teal because obsession about the cubs is ridiculous. I hate the cubs, but I don't feel the need to constantly bash them or their fans. This does not make me any less of a Sox fan. What makes me a Sox fan is my love for the White Sox, not my hatred of the cubs...that would make me a cub-hater instead of a Sox fan.

We are not telling anyone on this site to stop hating the cubs. Currently we are asking nicely to stop obsessing over them. I am not so sure that we will be so nice about it in the future.

But what you consider obsession could be another fan's definition of active hate. Obsession over a baseball team (positive or negative) connotes that someone lives and dies with every pitch, just like many of us do with the Sox. To insinuate that someone (and in this case Hangar) does this to another team is a charge akin to high treason. Obsession is a strong word, and probably a bad word choice for your argument, but to actively root for another team to fail as much as you actively root for your team to succeed is a major part of sports. No one can tell me that because I hate the Green Bay Packers with every fiber of my being and I actively root against them and their fans that I am obsessed. I am passionate. Good rivalries are made of such hate, no?

I have issues with the second part of your statement, although for different reasons. I find that this site has serious problems dealing with those who disagree, and that saddens me. While it might be intended as a warning, it certainly reads as a threat - and while you're absolutely within your rights to issue it, I question why. What is wrong with someone having a problem that the Sox don't get a Baseball Guide cover to themselves? If they are wrong or being overly sensitive, why not just tell them so (as numerous people have in this thread)?? When does a questioner violate the rules simply by raising the issue to be discussed??

And what happens in the future to those who are "obsessing"? I don't mean this snotty, but is there an objective way to tell what is obsession and what is active hate? Where is the line? Is it really that easy to tell - or even should we be trying to? I don't mean to step on any toes - I'm really just curious.

woodenleg
01-11-2006, 05:26 AM
You still have woes? I have no idea what they could be. The White Sox are World Champs. That's good enough for me. If your "woes" are cub fans giving you ****, you got the best response to them: World Series Champs. That should shut them up, if not they are ignorant. Or maybe a world series championship isn't good enough for you.

What hors****. First someone says I don't care about the championship, then someone else says 'it's not good enough'. It would be nice if you people could be objective and not speculate about how I feel, because it isn't true. But anyway, as I said, one World Series is not a bribe. The ******** WILL go on, I can guarantee it. I want the White Sox to be a legitimate ballclub, not a joke that happened to win one World Series. Personally, I think waiting your whole life to win a World Series is childish. And I personally am not 'obsessed' with the Cubs. It's not about the team - it's about certain parties who have decided they have a vested interest in keeping things as they were.

The Sox fans beef isn't about the Cubs as a team - it's about a general attitude on the part of certain sectors in Chicago, in particular the media, but certain other business sectors around the Cubs. Most real Sox fans know this.

You're not getting at the real point. I guess you haven't been harassed and threatened like I have.

kevin57
01-11-2006, 07:31 AM
But what you consider obsession could be another fan's definition of active hate. Obsession over a baseball team (positive or negative) connotes that someone lives and dies with every pitch, just like many of us do with the Sox. To insinuate that someone (and in this case Hangar) does this to another team is a charge akin to high treason. Obsession is a strong word, and probably a bad word choice for your argument, but to actively root for another team to fail as much as you actively root for your team to succeed is a major part of sports. No one can tell me that because I hate the Green Bay Packers with every fiber of my being and I actively root against them and their fans that I am obsessed. I am passionate. Good rivalries are made of such hate, no?

I have issues with the second part of your statement, although for different reasons. I find that this site has serious problems dealing with those who disagree, and that saddens me. While it might be intended as a warning, it certainly reads as a threat - and while you're absolutely within your rights to issue it, I question why. What is wrong with someone having a problem that the Sox don't get a Baseball Guide cover to themselves? If they are wrong or being overly sensitive, why not just tell them so (as numerous people have in this thread)?? When does a questioner violate the rules simply by raising the issue to be discussed??

And what happens in the future to those who are "obsessing"? I don't mean this snotty, but is there an objective way to tell what is obsession and what is active hate? Where is the line? Is it really that easy to tell - or even should we be trying to? I don't mean to step on any toes - I'm really just curious.

Kudos for this post. Nuanced and well-considered.

Dick Allen
01-11-2006, 09:57 AM

And what happens in the future to those who are "obsessing"? I don't mean this snotty, but is there an objective way to tell what is obsession and what is active hate? Where is the line? Is it really that easy to tell - or even should we be trying to? I don't mean to step on any toes - I'm really just curious.Well said. What I don't like is people being judgemental, telling me what I can like and not like, or when enough is too much. To me, that defeats the purpose of a site such as this.

Iwritecode
01-11-2006, 10:07 AM
one World Series is not a bribe.

Probably the only sentence I agree with in this entire rant.

The ******** WILL go on, I can guarantee it. I want the White Sox to be a legitimate ballclub, not a joke that happened to win one World Series.

What will go on? Have you looked at the Sox 2006 roster? Do you not believe they are a WS contending team? What more can you really ask for?

Personally, I think waiting your whole life to win a World Series is childish.

It's not childish, it's a fact. We are, buy chance or by choice, fans of a team that hadn't won a World Series in 88 years. Now they have. Be happy.

And I personally am not 'obsessed' with the Cubs. It's not about the team - it's about certain parties who have decided they have a vested interest in keeping things as they were.

The Sox fans beef isn't about the Cubs as a team - it's about a general attitude on the part of certain sectors in Chicago, in particular the media, but certain other business sectors around the Cubs. Most real Sox fans know this.

I'm not exactly sure who or what you are talking about here. Jerry? He's commited to giving KW everything he needs to build a championship-caliber team. The Tribune? Don't read it. Cubs fans? Ignore them.

You're not getting at the real point. I guess you haven't been harassed and threatened like I have.

You obviously need new friends...

Iwritecode
01-11-2006, 10:12 AM
No one can tell me that because I hate the Green Bay Packers with every fiber of my being and I actively root against them and their fans that I am obsessed. I am passionate. Good rivalries are made of such hate, no?

Besides sharing a city (which is big enough for both teams) what rivalry do Sox fans have with Cubs fans? The Bears/Packers rivalry at least makes sense because they are in the same divison. Every Packer loss means another game up for the Bears.

Rooting for the Cubs to lose when it has no affect on the Sox standings doesn't really make much sense. It's about the same as rooting for the Mets to lose...

DenverSock
01-11-2006, 10:32 AM
Rooting for the Cubs to lose when it has no affect on the Sox standings doesn't really make much sense. It's about the same as rooting for the Mets to lose...

But can't I go on rooting against those two clubs simply because I don't like them, I like rooting against them as it adds a little interest to games I would not notice as much, and simply because?

Look I understand that now is Hot Stove league time and we're perhaps letting trivialities consume us when we find less interesting news than we want, but hasn't this thread deteriorated a little?

MeteorsSox4367
01-11-2006, 11:46 AM
According to Street & Smith's website, some of the issues will have a Sox World Series Champs poster inside. Not only do we get Paulie on the cover, but we get a poster of our heroes, too. It would have been nice to have Pierzynski and/or Buehrle on the cover with PK, but that works for me.

I just want the covers with Jeter and Big Sloppi, too. Yeah, right.

Thanks and Go Sox!!

Palehose13
01-11-2006, 01:34 PM

I don't quite understand your first paragraph. First, I am committing high treason because I say that Hangar is obsessed with the cubs, because obsession is a strong word and a bad choice on my part. Then you say:but to actively root for another team to fail as much as you actively root for your team to succeed is a major part of sports.
So are you now saying that it is obsession and that it is ok to be obsessed?

Look, we aren't telling anyone how to feel. We are asking that a site dedicated to the Chicago White Sox stays dedicated to the White Sox. I hate the packers too, but I don't go over to the bear board and constantly post about the packers. I talk about the bears. Sure, I will occasionally mention the packers and rip on them, but that is not my main purpose for being on that board.

I'm sorry that the way this site is run saddens you. We have very simple guidelines on this site and we don't ban people simply for disagreeing. Unfortunately, some people have a problem comprehending the guidelines and this leads to vacations. If you have a separate incident where you have an issue with a mod, feel free to pm and I will try my best to resolve said incident.

In regards to defining the "obsessed", I would define that as one who has more posts about the cubs on this site than the sox. If I look at your post history, you are not obsessed with the cubs. However, if I look at other people's history, it is clear that they post more about the cubs than the sox. A person that posts more about the cubs on a sox website could be viewed as a troll.

West created this forum(What's the score?) because of the cub trash that was clogging up the clubhouse and talking baseball. It was meant to be a place to clean up the trash, but some people think that this is a place to create and dump trash.

Most posters here have expressed appreciation with the moderating staff because this board does not have the crap that other boards have. I was not threatening anyone, but stating that if flubsession continues, action may be taken. By looking at your post history, you are not one of the Flubsessed. You have nothing to worry about.

Palehose13
01-11-2006, 01:42 PM
What hors****. First someone says I don't care about the championship, then someone else says 'it's not good enough'. It would be nice if you people could be objective and not speculate about how I feel, because it isn't true. But anyway, as I said, one World Series is not a bribe. The ******** WILL go on, I can guarantee it. I want the White Sox to be a legitimate ballclub, not a joke that happened to win one World Series. Personally, I think waiting your whole life to win a World Series is childish. And I personally am not 'obsessed' with the Cubs. It's not about the team - it's about certain parties who have decided they have a vested interest in keeping things as they were.

First, the White Sox are a legitimate ballclub. If you don't think that they are, that is your problem. Second, I still don't know what the **** you are talking about when you are talking about a bribe. Who is bribing who about what? Lastly, if you are not obsessed with the cubs, why are you letting this bother you?

Easy there big fella. Are you questioning whether or not I am a "real" Sox fan? I really want to hear this.

Oh trust me, I have been threatened and harassed...most of my damn life. However, if you are getting "threatened and harassed" about what baseball team you like and are worried about it, I think there are some underlying issues here.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-11-2006, 01:47 PM
I want Matt Clement (horrible outting), Tony Graffanino (huge error), David Wells (served up 3-run tator to Iguchi), Josh Paul (the ball hit the ground!), and Orlando Palmeiro (last out of WS) on the cover for helping the White Sox win the World Series. Thanks guys!

miker
01-11-2006, 08:09 PM
No article about Man Soo Lee?

miker
01-11-2006, 08:11 PM
But can't I go on rooting against those two clubs simply because I don't like them, I like rooting against them as it adds a little interest to games I would not notice as much, and simply because?
I'm sorry...what does the color purple mean? Does it have anything to do with Oprah?

DenverSock
01-11-2006, 10:12 PM
I'm sorry...what does the color purple mean? Does it have anything to do with Oprah?

It means I felt like using it. It has nothing to do with Oprah. Simply using another color in this case differentiated between two unrelated statements in the same post. I believe that good writing should reveal its own meaning. I use teal because people get mad if you don't. I use rose for optimistic statements for the same reason. I use blue because in about the 1880's there was a team in Denver called the Blue Sox. I use other colors simply because I sometimes set out funny statements in other colors in the hope that certain members will see that I'm not serious and will get the joke. They tend not to. I occasionaly use another color, as in this case, simply because I felt like it. And now, simply because my six year old son is leaning over my shoulder and demanding I use the dancing troll:

:dtroll: :dtroll:

:offtopic: :offtopic:

Hangar18
01-12-2006, 09:06 AM

" ....people said (chicago media) this club wasnt good enough, we're in 1st place at the break, people said (chicago media) we were lucky we havnt played the East yet, we beat them and people said (chicago media) that we didnt have the players, we'll choke to cleveland, then they said we'd lose to boston, then I have to hear about the Angels and we cant win out West, then we cant play indoors with the Astros" - Paul Konerko's veiled comments towards the Chicago Media at the Championship Parade. His comments sum it all up for us

zach23
01-12-2006, 11:14 AM
" ....people said (chicago media) this club wasnt good enough, we're in 1st place at the break, people said (chicago media) we were lucky we havnt played the East yet, we beat them and people said (chicago media) that we didnt have the players, we'll choke to cleveland, then they said we'd lose to boston, then I have to hear about the Angels and we cant win out West, then we cant play indoors with the Astros" - Paul Konerko's veiled comments towards the Chicago Media at the Championship Parade. His comments sum it all up for us

But Hangar, didn't the Dark Cloud posters on this very board say that this club wasn't good enough at the break because they only went out and got Blum at the deadline? Didn't those same posters also say they weren't good enough when they split with Boston at home and lost 2 of 3 to NY? Didn't those same posters say they were done as Cleveland got closer and closer? Didn't those same posters say the Sox were in trouble because they couldn't beat the Angels on the west coast?

Why is it that the Dark Clouds could spew all the doom and gloom they want and that is ok because they are just being realistic, but if the media has the same view it is wrong? That is what I don't get. You defended the Dark Cloud view all season, but now you are mad that the media had the same view.

I am not trying to pick on you, and I agree the Sox don't always get a fair deal when it comes to coverage but this seems like an insane battle for you to fight. Now that the Sox have won and proved everyone wrong, you are mad at the media when in essence you and others on this board agreed with them on these views during the season.

rwcescato
01-12-2006, 11:43 AM

Hey we are the White Sox. Even a World Series championship does not get us top billing. But who cares we have the trophy and it will be in our park forever and nobody can take that away from us. Hopefully we will make it 2 or 3 in a row.
Rich

DenverSock
01-12-2006, 11:50 AM
Hey we are the White Sox. Even a World Series championship does not get us top billing. But who cares we have the trophy and it will be in our park forever and nobody can take that away from us. Hopefully we will make it 2 or 3 in a row.
Rich

Hear, Hear!

Palehose13
01-12-2006, 11:54 AM
But Hangar, didn't the Dark Cloud posters on this very board say that this club wasn't good enough at the break because they only went out and got Blum at the deadline? Didn't those same posters also say they weren't good enough when they split with Boston at home and lost 2 of 3 to NY? Didn't those same posters say they were done as Cleveland got closer and closer? Didn't those same posters say the Sox were in trouble because they couldn't beat the Angels on the west coast?

Why is it that the Dark Clouds could spew all the doom and gloom they want and that is ok because they are just being realistic, but if the media has the same view it is wrong? That is what I don't get. You defended the Dark Cloud view all season, but now you are mad that the media had the same view.

I am not trying to pick on you, and I agree the Sox don't always get a fair deal when it comes to coverage but this seems like an insane battle for you to fight. Now that the Sox have won and proved everyone wrong, you are mad at the media when in essence you and others on this board agreed with them on these views during the season.

:worship:

And IIRC, many of the posters that can't stop talking about the cubs were also with the dark clouds last season. It just makes me think that some people are only happy when they are complaining about something.

DenverSock
01-12-2006, 12:00 PM
:worship:

It just makes me think that some people are only happy when they are complaining about something.

I think that sometimes I match that description. :redface: :redface:

Palehose13
01-12-2006, 12:08 PM
I think that sometimes I match that description. :redface: :redface:

Admitting that there is a problem is the first step. :redneck

Hangar18
01-12-2006, 12:14 PM

Doom and Gloom was different from Ignoring them entirely. I watched the WS Video again last nite, and the announcer distinctly says also that things werent looking good for the SOX because of the rampage the Indians were on. That was reality. I was a Dark Cloud back then because of the evidence before me. Cmon, did anyone think the Pitching would become lights out down the stretch? Konerko and Rowand on the video allude to the fact that they were PRESSING and playing not to lose instead of to win (something I commented on back then too). That huge win over the Twinks, which kept them a game ahead of the Tribe, "loosened" them up,
and clinching BEFORE they got to Cleveland put the pressuer on the Indians, and the SOX were the ones that played loose (per Konerko) and they were on fire the rest of the way. What makes us smarter is we have a sense of reality (as opposed to every year being "the year", everything is sunny)
To say Dark Clouds worrying about the offense all year, and almost losing the division "...coming close to losing the biggest division lead in history"-World Series DVD) wasnt really stepping out. KW acknowledged this very fact and is trying hard to improve the offense. He is not dumb enough to think the SOX can get Lights Out Pitching and minimal offense again. Good for us. The only thing dark-cloudesqe I said all year was our offense is very shaky. Saying our offense was bad isnt dark cloud.

You do bring up a good point "why is it ok for SOX fans to be dark-cloud, but not the Media". Well the short answer is, the freaking Chicago Media has all but ignored this team for the last 20 years. Lot of it is the SOX fault for allowing them to do this. SOX fans' problem with the Medias "dark-cloud" commentary was that was all they gave us. 10 flubby stories about them in 4th place, followed by 2 stories of how were not good enough (while we were in 1st place all along) was the story. Remember the "chokehold" tagline? They finally put us on the back covers, only to have that as a Storyline? INSULTING. I dont have a problem with the Media being darkcloud-esque, no SOX fan in their right mind wants to be Pandered to
(like they do 8miles north) but to give us minimal coverage and all of it being dark-cloud got a lot of people rightfully upset, including me. I dont want to just chalk it up to "well we won so what". It was that attitude that allowed a team with only three 90 win seasons since 1950 to be treated like Champions of the Earth in this town.

DenverSock
01-12-2006, 12:14 PM
Admitting that there is a problem is the first step. :redneck

FWIW and for the record, I wasn't talking about the Cubs or Dark Clouds, just in general.

:noevil:

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-12-2006, 12:17 PM
The more we continue to debate this...the more the debate will live on. I say we go with 2006: Under the Radar Continues, and win another WS while everyone else worries about whether the Cubs are reported more than the Sox.

Palehose13
01-12-2006, 12:23 PM
FWIW and for the record, I wasn't talking about the Cubs or Dark Clouds, just in general.

:noevil:

I know. :D:

zach23
01-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Doom and Gloom was different from Ignoring them entirely. I watched the WS Video again last nite, and the announcer distinctly says also that things werent looking good for the SOX because of the rampage the Indians were on. That was reality. I was a Dark Cloud back then because of the evidence before me. Cmon, did anyone think the Pitching would become lights out down the stretch? Konerko and Rowand on the video allude to the fact that they were PRESSING and playing not to lose instead of to win (something I commented on back then too). That huge win over the Twinks, which kept them a game ahead of the Tribe, "loosened" them up,
and clinching BEFORE they got to Cleveland put the pressuer on the Indians, and the SOX were the ones that played loose (per Konerko) and they were on fire the rest of the way. What makes us smarter is we have a sense of reality (as opposed to every year being "the year", everything is sunny)
To say Dark Clouds worrying about the offense all year, and almost losing the division "...coming close to losing the biggest division lead in history"-World Series DVD) wasnt really stepping out. KW acknowledged this very fact and is trying hard to improve the offense. He is not dumb enough to think the SOX can get Lights Out Pitching and minimal offense again. Good for us. The only thing dark-cloudesqe I said all year was our offense is very shaky. Saying our offense was bad isnt dark cloud.

You do bring up a good point "why is it ok for SOX fans to be dark-cloud, but not the Media". Well the short answer is, the freaking Chicago Media has all but ignored this team for the last 20 years. Lot of it is the SOX fault for allowing them to do this. SOX fans' problem with the Medias "dark-cloud" commentary was that was all they gave us. 10 flubby stories about them in 4th place, followed by 2 stories of how were not good enough (while we were in 1st place all along) was the story. Remember the "chokehold" tagline? They finally put us on the back covers, only to have that as a Storyline? INSULTING. I dont have a problem with the Media being darkcloud-esque, no SOX fan in their right mind wants to be Pandered to
(like they do 8miles north) but to give us minimal coverage and all of it being dark-cloud got a lot of people rightfully upset, including me. I dont want to just chalk it up to "well we won so what". It was that attitude that allowed a team with only three 90 win seasons since 1950 to be treated like Champions of the Earth in this town.

But you say that Konerko is calling out the media in his quote. If he is and they were talking about the Sox (negatively) all season then how were they ignoring them?
You say Konerko's comments "sum it all up for us", but you could easily replace "Chicago Media" in your parenthesis with your name and the names of many people on this board. How does this sum up all the media bias for Sox fans?

If you want to battle with the media, things like them doing stories about the neighborhood during the playoffs make sense, but if you are going to say that Konerko is calling them out for not believing in this team all season, then you must also call out yourself and many others on this board for doing the same.

Instead of going off the deep end for every little thing, why not pick the big battles and just fight those? I think with this W.S. victory a lot of the big battles have already been won anyway. The Sox are getting a lot more coverage than ever before and if they continue to win this year it will only increase. There are still going to be people out there that don't like them, but so what? It isn't necessary that the entire planet love the Sox and it will never happen. It is a waste of energy to get up in arms over every magazine that comes out, every little thing some Trib writer says, whether the Sox are on cereal boxes or not, and whether or not they appear on talk shows.

Hangar18
01-12-2006, 01:21 PM
But you say that Konerko is calling out the media in his quote. If he is and they were talking about the Sox (negatively) all season then how were they ignoring them?
You say Konerko's comments "sum it all up for us", but you could easily replace "Chicago Media" in your parenthesis with your name and the names of many people on this board. How does this sum up all the media bias for Sox fans?

If you want to battle with the media, things like them doing stories about the neighborhood during the playoffs make sense, but if you are going to say that Konerko is calling them out for not believing in this team all season, then you must also call out yourself and many others on this board for doing the same.

There are still going to be people out there that don't like them, but so what? It isn't necessary that the entire planet love the Sox and it will never happen.

Konerko was calling out the Media (so did Everett with his "shut yo' mouths" comment and AJ's "Look at all the reporters here all of a sudden!")
Talking about the SOX negatively (with 2 stories while other team gets 10stories) doesnt get lumped into the "hey were getting coverage finally" argument. The sox players finally mention what we were talking about all along. Seems the SOX are going to use this energy as a battle cry for 2006 ("...what do we have to do get respect? Maybe just win again in 06" -Paul Konerko)

I could call myself out and the other "dark clouds", but the difference is "we" were Still at the games down the stretch, we didnt STOP rooting for them just because we stated the obvious. Konerko even acknowledged this fact "Everyone was getting down on us ....not you guys (sox fans) of course....." - Paul Konerko 10/06

The chief reason the entire planet seemingly loves the other team is only because weve been continually ignored. Championships should stop all of that right? maybe .......... It definitely isnt necessary the entire planet love the SOX, but its also Not Necessary for the Chicago Media to keep saying noone cares about the SOX, their fans are brutish, the neighborhood is bad, north-side players are the best ever, north-side fans are the "smartest", continue to give a 4th place team 10x the coverage of a team that Just won the World Series ..............................

Palehose13
01-12-2006, 01:28 PM
What I don't understand is why you want the Sox to be loved by everyone? The 2006 season hasn't even started and people are already bitching about not being able to get primo tickets or even tickets to SoxFest. Hell, partial season ticket pacakages aren't guaranteed playoff tickets anymore! Do you really want our park to be filled with band wagon fans? When you finally get the "respect" that you think the Sox deserve, you'll be crying because the ballpark isn't filled with "real Sox fans".

Be careful for what you wish for, Henry...

zach23
01-12-2006, 02:24 PM
Konerko was calling out the Media (so did Everett with his "shut yo' mouths" comment and AJ's "Look at all the reporters here all of a sudden!")
Talking about the SOX negatively (with 2 stories while other team gets 10stories) doesnt get lumped into the "hey were getting coverage finally" argument. The sox players finally mention what we were talking about all along. Seems the SOX are going to use this energy as a battle cry for 2006 ("...what do we have to do get respect? Maybe just win again in 06" -Paul Konerko)

I could call myself out and the other "dark clouds", but the difference is "we" were Still at the games down the stretch, we didnt STOP rooting for them just because we stated the obvious. Konerko even acknowledged this fact "Everyone was getting down on us ....not you guys (sox fans) of course....." - Paul Konerko 10/06

The chief reason the entire planet seemingly loves the other team is only because weve been continually ignored. Championships should stop all of that right? maybe .......... It definitely isnt necessary the entire planet love the SOX, but its also Not Necessary for the Chicago Media to keep saying noone cares about the SOX, their fans are brutish, the neighborhood is bad, north-side players are the best ever, north-side fans are the "smartest", continue to give a 4th place team 10x the coverage of a team that Just won the World Series ..............................

Were you stating the obvious here:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=853379#post853379
I think everyone realizes finally were not going anywhere.

Twist it anyway you want, but you can apply Konerko's and Everett's comments to yourself and others who in no way believed this team was going anywhere. You spent much of the season constantly yelling that the guy who became the eventual World Series MVP be traded.
You in no way can honestly tell me that you believed this team would win the World Series, so why are you mad that the media felt the same way?

If you want to rip them for other things, that makes sense, but you have no business being mad at them for not considering the Sox to be a Championship team when you yourself didn't until it was all said and done.

DenverSock
01-12-2006, 02:50 PM
I couldn't resist.

:tomatoaward

It's sort of strange that a thread like this gets a tomato.

Domeshot17
01-12-2006, 02:53 PM
Ehhh, in the long run who cares. I bet the north siders would trade all 1200 of their magazine covers, All 538 of Sammy's Homers and the attendance trophy for the rings we get April 4th. Although, they said they will not include felix pie or rich hill

TaylorStSox
01-12-2006, 11:55 PM
I can't believe how delusional some people are. I've been indifferent to the Cubs my whole life. I treat the Cardinals, Brewers, Royals and ever other semi local team the same.

Where do you guys go? Where are these Cubs fans who are constantly in your face? I live in the city too. Most Cubs fans have been complimentary.

The media's a business. THERE ARE MORE CUBS FANS! THERE ARE MORE CUBS FANS! Repeat it a few times. You might wake up and realize it. The media's obligation is to sell papers and airtime. Reporting Cubs baseball is necassary.

How does anyone have time to watch Cubs games? I watch roughly 155 games a year. I dedicate 3+ hours to the Sox for more than half a year. How does anyone have time to follow both teams closely? Honestly, I don't really know much about the NL, in general. I see highlights. I follow stats. But, I don't have the time to watch that much baseball. I have no life. (semi teal)

SoxSpeed22
01-13-2006, 12:24 AM
Way to suck all the fun out of this thread. We finally get the one thing that they cannot attain, so the cub fan-base is trying to downplay it, like it's not important, but it is.
Edit: The reason for the worse mood, is that the ONE thing that we could do to change things in this city, winning, changed nothing. The hopes may have been a little too high.:(:
Also, the cub fans you speak of who give them credit, there are people like that, just not on this board. Those people can simply imagine us away, they have a choice of supporting 'the Chicago team' we don't, because a World Series run for them means fading into obscurity for us. Just remember 2004.

Baby Fisk
01-13-2006, 12:33 AM
What I don't understand is why you want the Sox to be loved by everyone? The 2006 season hasn't even started and people are already bitching about not being able to get primo tickets or even tickets to SoxFest. Hell, partial season ticket pacakages aren't guaranteed playoff tickets anymore! Do you really want our park to be filled with band wagon fans? When you finally get the "respect" that you think the Sox deserve, you'll be crying because the ballpark isn't filled with "real Sox fans".

Be careful for what you wish for, Henry...

I will continue to attend baseball games in Toronto, decked out in Sox gear, even if the Black Jays are playing Seattle or Baltimore and it seems meaningless to the bewildered Torontonians. I am a Sox fan for life. No one can tell me otherwise. No one can take 2005 away from me. I'm thinking of creating some sort of Sox-related signage to hang from the upper deck of the Rogers Centre when the Sox come to town (6 games in 2006!) As for any other team, well **** them and their loser fans. :cool: :bandance:

WHITE SOX FOREVER!

Iwritecode
01-13-2006, 09:47 AM
The media's a business. THERE ARE MORE CUBS FANS! THERE ARE MORE CUBS FANS! Repeat it a few times. You might wake up and realize it. The media's obligation is to sell papers and airtime. Reporting Cubs baseball is necassary.

Stop and think about why there are more Cubs fans. Because the newspaper talks about the Cubs all the time.

It's the old chicken/egg problem...

SoxSpeed22
01-13-2006, 12:25 PM
Stop and think about why there are more Cubs fans. Because the newspaper talks about the Cubs all the time.

It's the old chicken/egg problem...Marketing Wars. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=2752)

Fenway
01-13-2006, 12:32 PM
so there are more Cubs fans big deal

Who you rather be?

http://www.taipeitimes.com/images/2005/10/28/20051027200459.jpeg
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/maggie_haskins/08/12/stone.color/t1_dusty.jpghttp://www.hhweb.com/photos/2003ws/03NLCSMarlinsCelebGame7_small.jpg

Hangar18
01-13-2006, 01:08 PM
Marketing Wars. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=2752)

Rich Lindberghs article is EXCELLENT