PDA

View Full Version : Just a few players left over...

caulfield12
01-09-2006, 11:49 AM
Jeff Weaver, who went 14-11 with a 4.22 ERA for the Dodgers last year, did not reach an agreement with Los Angeles before the 11 p.m. deadline.
Also letting the deadline pass were infielder Alex Gonzalez and Tampa Bay, and pitcher Pedro Astacio and San Diego.

Note...if we do, in fact, deal Contreras, I think Astacio would be a very good insurance policy for any of our starters going down. I want nothing to do with Jeff Weaver and havent since the fight in April of 2000. AJ is one thing, but a Boras client with his history with the Sox is a no go.

spiffie
01-09-2006, 12:04 PM
Jeff Weaver, who went 14-11 with a 4.22 ERA for the Dodgers last year, did not reach an agreement with Los Angeles before the 11 p.m. deadline.
Also letting the deadline pass were infielder Alex Gonzalez and Tampa Bay, and pitcher Pedro Astacio and San Diego.

Note...if we do, in fact, deal Contreras, I think Astacio would be a very good insurance policy for any of our starters going down. I want nothing to do with Jeff Weaver and havent since the fight in April of 2000. AJ is one thing, but a Boras client with his history with the Sox is a no go.
No thanks on Astacio. While he might be decent in the NL, his AL numbers are appalling.

caulfield12
01-09-2006, 12:25 PM
No thanks on Astacio. While he might be decent in the NL, his AL numbers are appalling.

I guess I will avoid the discussion of saying Don Cooper can take any pitcher in baseball and quote-unquote fix him.

It is almost becoming laughable to think that we can acquire any pitcher and make them into an All-Star.

Don Cooper could not have done anything to prevent all the pitching injuries we had in 2001 and 2002. Of course, some doomsayers were blaming the pitching instructors at the MLB and minor league levels for all those injuries...so I am sure that some would also argue Don Cooper can fix their mechanics as well, to prevent them from becoming the next Parque, Baldwin, Sirotka or Rauch, lol.

NonetheLoaiza
01-09-2006, 01:08 PM
Astacio? Ugh...no thanks.

gr8mexico
01-09-2006, 01:11 PM
No thanks on Astacio. While he might be decent in the NL, his AL numbers are appalling. I agree the Sox already signed a pitcher that can fill in just in case they need to and that's Tim Redding. I hope that Cooper can work his magic with him.I found some scouting reports on him he probally has better potential then Astacio. Tim Redding had a disappointing season, both for himself and the organization. He was expected to be a solid No. 5 starter, if not better. But he stumbled out of the gate, and eventually was sent to Triple-A before coming back up in September and spending most of his time in the bullpen.Pitching, Defense & HittingRedding might be the team's biggest pitching enigma. During an impressive rise through the minors, he was expected to one day be one of the team's best pitchers, with a two- and four-seam fastball, hard-breaking curve and slider. But he also had a reputation for blowing up when things went badly. He had command problems all last year and team officials aren't sure why. Redding is a fair hitter who laid down the sacrifice bunt well in 2003, and an ordinary fielder. Basestealers pretty much have their way with him.