PDA

View Full Version : For those that will be in AZ for ST...

manders_01
01-09-2006, 11:30 AM
I am going to be going alone and was wondering if anyone else, alone or otherwise, would want to hang out, possibly sit together at the games, etc. A plus if you've been there before since this will be my first time. I know there was previously talk that there would be a WSI gathering so that would be cool. I'm going the weekend of St. Patty's Day so having Chicagoan's to party with will be like being home!

Chicken Dinner
01-09-2006, 11:34 AM
I am going to be going alone and was wondering if anyone else, alone or otherwise, would want to hang out, possibly sit together at the games, etc. A plus if you've been there before since this will be my first time. I know there was previously talk that there would be a WSI gathering so that would be cool. I'm going the weekend of St. Patty's Day so having Chicagoan's to party with will be like being home!

Are you going to TUS or PHX or both and when??

manders_01
01-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Are you going to TUS or PHX or both and when??

Yes. :D: I'm planning to go to the 3.17 & 3.18 game in TUS and 3.19 game in PHX. I will probably stay in TUS on Thurs-Sat night and PHX on Sun night cause I have an early flight on Monday morning.

Chicken Dinner
01-09-2006, 01:35 PM
I will definately be going to the Sox-Mil game on the 19th. I'm sure we'll be tailgating out there also. Pending on where your staying, we'll either meet up somewhere and go to the game or meet out there.

MarySwiss
01-09-2006, 01:45 PM
This picture will probably get clearer once everybody gets all their tickets. Right now, my plan is to go to the Sox/Cubs game in Tucson on the 18th and the Sox/Angels game in Tempe on the 8th. We could maybe pull together a WSI outing the weekend of the 17th-19th, but I guess it depends on where the majority of people wind up staying. I don't know a whole lot about the Tucson bars and restaurants, so someone else will have to tell you about them.

Someone suggested McDuffy's for St. Pat's, but I'd think it would be crowded. Of course, on St. Pat's, what bar isn't? Another possibility is Fibber Magee's in East Chandler. Last year they had a parking lot party with a bunch of bands, food, beer, etc. I don't know how it was because I couldn't make it there last year, but I've been to Fibber's and it's the real deal; terrific Irish folk music. I checked their site to see if they had posted any info, but they haven't. (Well, it is pretty early yet.)

C-Dawg
01-09-2006, 01:56 PM
We may have to have several WSI gatherings, depending on who's out there and when. I will be out there the first full week (April 4-9) but not sure which games yet.

MarySwiss
01-09-2006, 01:58 PM
We may have to have several WSI gatherings, depending on who's out there and when. I will be out there the first full week (April 4-9) but not sure which games yet.

C-Dawg, games start on March 1, but the first full week is March 5-11. Is that what you meant?

C-Dawg
01-09-2006, 01:58 PM
...and the Sox/Angels game in Tempe on the 8th.

I will be at that game for sure however. Its the one game during my week where they are NOT at one of the Tucson facilities.

C-Dawg
01-09-2006, 01:59 PM
C-Dawg, games start on March 1, but the first full week is March 5-11. Is that what you meant?

I fly in on the 4th and home on the 10th.

:D:

Fenway
01-09-2006, 02:13 PM
Just curious. Are the White Sox happy in Arizona or are they having second thoughts about moving from Florida to Arizona. The reason I ask is that with the Reds leaving Sarasota after this year, that city is looking for a team and I saw on the news while I was down in Tampa that they have targeted the White Sox to come home and they give as one of the reason the many White Sox fans that retired to Sarasota.

MarySwiss
01-09-2006, 02:40 PM
Just curious. Are the White Sox happy in Arizona or are they having second thoughts about moving from Florida to Arizona. The reason I ask is that with the Reds leaving Sarasota after this year, that city is looking for a team and I saw on the news while I was down in Tampa that they have targeted the White Sox to come home and they give as one of the reason the many White Sox fans that retired to Sarasota.

I haven't heard or read anything to indicate they are unhappy. I know last year there was some discussion that they would be interested in moving to Tempe if the Angels left for a new stadium in the West Valley, but that failed to materialize. However, if they were interested in going to Tempe, seems to me that would tend to indicate they like it here.

maurice
01-09-2006, 02:40 PM
I don't see any way that the Sox would leave AZ, especially as long as JR is running the team.

manders_01
01-09-2006, 02:46 PM
I will definately be going to the Sox-Mil game on the 19th. I'm sure we'll be tailgating out there also. Pending on where your staying, we'll either meet up somewhere and go to the game or meet out there.

Sounds like a plan! :D:

I know it is a little early to post about this topic, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be "all alone" in AZ! Thanks everyone!

CHIsoxNation
01-09-2006, 02:50 PM
I'll be down there March 22 - March 28. I'll be going to the Sox/Cubs game in Mesa on the 27th and at least one game in Tucson over that time span.

Fenway
01-09-2006, 03:00 PM
One major headache about spring training this year is a lot of teams are being forced to cutback on televised games from a year ago. NESN for example has gone from 18 to 9. The reason is simple, the return of the National Hockey League has tightened the market for television remote trucks and available crews.

Some good news however, every American League park can now handle a visting team feed in HD and already both NESN and YES have announced they will do every game in HD. No word yet on Comcast but that is partially because there are other problems with their main vendor ( Trio ) and nobody knows how it will shake out yet.

chisoxfanatic
01-09-2006, 03:38 PM
No word yet on Comcast but that is partially because there are other problems with their main vendor ( Trio ) and nobody knows how it will shake out yet.

There are a plethora of problems with Comcast beyond that. Don't even get me started on Comcast and Sox broadcasts...

goofymsfan
01-09-2006, 04:29 PM
I'm planning on being down in AZ March 9th-14. I have tickets for the Sox/Padres Game at Peoria Stadium. I do have an extra one on top of the Visiting Dugout. I haven't figured out what other games I'll be going to yet, but I need to get on that and soon.

Hangar18
01-09-2006, 04:50 PM
Id love to do a ST game ......... but my LA trip is just too close .......

manders_01
01-09-2006, 05:29 PM
Id love to do a ST game ......... but my LA trip is just too close .......

I decided to cancel my LA trip. It's much cheaper (for me, at least) to fly to PHX and I'm flying into ChiTown during the St Louis series so I thought I'd catch a few of those games.

MarySwiss
01-09-2006, 06:06 PM
I'm planning on being down in AZ March 9th-14. I have tickets for the Sox/Padres Game at Peoria Stadium. I do have an extra one on top of the Visiting Dugout. I haven't figured out what other games I'll be going to yet, but I need to get on that and soon.

I have no doubt you'll be able to sell your extra ticket, especially as that Padres game is a Saturday. (Scalping is legal in Arizona.)

chidavid18
01-09-2006, 06:38 PM
I almose got taken to jail last year in Tucson for trying to sell tickets at face value right infront of the gate. Thy gave me a brake only becouse I have an IL Drivers Lic. Just a warning. Have fun.

MarySwiss
01-09-2006, 06:46 PM
I almose got taken to jail last year in Tucson for trying to sell tickets at face value right infront of the gate. Thy gave me a brake only becouse I have an IL Drivers Lic. Just a warning. Have fun.

Whoops, sorry! I should have added that you cannot be within 200 feet of an entrance. My bad.

goofymsfan
01-10-2006, 12:50 AM
I have no doubt you'll be able to sell your extra ticket, especially as that Padres game is a Saturday. (Scalping is legal in Arizona.)

While scalping may be legal in AZ the person I'm purchasing the tickets from would be none too happy and I'd never be able to get her great tickets again. Just though if there was a Sox fan here that was going to be down there and might be interested in the ticket FOR FACE VALUE, I'd give him/her first shot.

MarySwiss
01-10-2006, 07:32 AM
While scalping may be legal in AZ the person I'm purchasing the tickets from would be none too happy and I'd never be able to get her great tickets again. Just though if there was a Sox fan here that was going to be down there and might be interested in the ticket FOR FACE VALUE, I'd give him/her first shot.

Yeah, I was assuming you meant face value. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Chicken Dinner
01-11-2006, 03:08 PM

The White Sox have a lease agreement with Tucson until 2013 and must stay there unless they can find another team to take that lease. With JR, KW, and PK living down here, I don't think they would be going to Florida anytime soon.

Viva Medias B's
01-12-2006, 08:52 AM
I haven't heard or read anything to indicate they are unhappy. I know last year there was some discussion that they would be interested in moving to Tempe if the Angels left for a new stadium in the West Valley, but that failed to materialize. However, if they were interested in going to Tempe, seems to me that would tend to indicate they like it here.

I like the Sox right where they're at. Tucson and Pima County may not have all the amenities that Maricopa County has, but it is much easier to navigate.

manders_01
01-12-2006, 09:13 AM
One more question - probably the most important - that I forgot to ask. Are ST games like preseason NFL games where you only see the starters for a quarter or so? I want some quality Sox time! :D:

CHIsoxNation
01-12-2006, 09:21 AM
One more question - probably the most important - that I forgot to ask. Are ST games like preseason NFL games where you only see the starters for a quarter or so? I want some quality Sox time! :D:

You definitely shouldn't expect to see them in the whole game. From the games I've seen, usually the starters will play the first few innings and then take off. Occasionally they'll have one of the starting pitchers start a B game also for a couple of innings.

Chicken Dinner
01-12-2006, 09:47 AM

Yes and you won't see all of them either. Usually maybe 3-4 starters will play in a game for about 3-5 innings. The games are usually pretty high scoring also.

Kuzman
01-12-2006, 09:48 AM
I'll be down there the 15th to the 19th. I already have my tickets for Texas and the Cubs. Should be fun! Staying at the Holiday Inn right around the corner!

MarySwiss
01-12-2006, 09:56 AM

What everyone else said. Also, please note that on March 2nd, they're playing split squad games--one against the D'Backs at TEP and one against the Rockies at Hi Corbett.

manders_01
01-12-2006, 10:26 AM
I already have my tickets for Texas and the Cubs.

How did you get them? Are they just not available on the net yet?

Viva Medias B's
01-12-2006, 10:33 AM

Some people, for whatever reason, receive "VIP Priority Order Forms" from authority that runs Tucson Electric Park. I get the form probably because I am a Sox split season ticket holder and/or I am a previous customer on their mailing list. I made and send in my payment for a couple of games on December 20. I have not yet received the tickets, but the form indicates that they'll be mailed out in early February.

manders_01
01-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Some people, for whatever reason, receive "VIP Priority Order Forms" from authority that runs Tucson Electric Park. I get the form probably because I am a Sox split season ticket holder and/or I am a previous customer on their mailing list. I made and send in my payment for a couple of games on December 20. I have not yet received the tickets, but the form indicates that they'll be mailed out in early February.

Ahh...thank you. I was worried there for a minute! :D:

Chicken Dinner
01-12-2006, 10:41 AM

Some stadiums in the PHX area already have their tickets on sale so if you were thinking about a Sox road game, some places you can buy your tickets already.

http://www.springtrainingonline.com (http://www.springtrainingonline.com/)

Kuzman
01-12-2006, 10:44 AM

I did the same thing. The money got processed right away and the tickets will show up in feb. like you said.