PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Book

Dan H
01-09-2006, 10:00 AM
I have been in touch with a publisher about the possibility of writing a book on the 1990 club. As we all know, 1990 was the last year baseball was played at Comiskey Park. Also, the 1990 team was an over-achieving club that somehow won 94 games without a 20-game winner or 20-home run hitter. One editor is somewhat interested but thinks he would have a hard time selling the book to the publisher. Would Sox fans out there be interested in such a historical book? Thanks for the input.

downstairs
01-09-2006, 10:10 AM
I honestly think you'd want a broader topic... maybe the Torborg years... or the early '90s... or a story about '88 - '93 and the transition into a winning team...

1990 alone is a tough sell, in my humble opinion...

It *was* an exciting year... but I don't know how many good stories you'd find to stuff into a full book.

sox1970
01-09-2006, 10:21 AM
I have been in touch with a publisher about the possibility of writing a book on the 1990 club. As we all know, 1990 was the last year baseball was played at Comiskey Park. Also, the 1990 team was an over-achieving club that somehow won 94 games without a 20-game winner or 20-home run hitter. One editor is somewhat interested but thinks he would have a hard time selling the book to the publisher. Would Sox fans out there be interested in such a historical book? Thanks for the input.

The 1990 team remains my favorite regular season White Sox team. If it gets published, I'll be the first one to buy it. However, I doubt you would find enough people like me that would be interested. Too bad there was no wild card back then.

Dan H
01-09-2006, 10:41 AM
I honestly think you'd want a broader topic... maybe the Torborg years... or the early '90s... or a story about '88 - '93 and the transition into a winning team...

1990 alone is a tough sell, in my humble opinion...

It *was* an exciting year... but I don't know how many good stories you'd find to stuff into a full book.

You make some good points and you were reading my mind. The book will cover before and after, the transition from rebuilding to winning and finally going to the playoffs in 1993. But I need a year to focus on and 1990 will be it. If 1990 was a World Series year, I could focus on that only. But it was a signficant year in that the team rebounded in such a big way, and it was the start of something good. Thanks for your humble opinion. It was on the mark, and I could use feedback from Sox fans.

jdm2662
01-09-2006, 11:15 AM
Prior to this season, the 1990 team was far and away my favorite team of all-time. However, I agree with the masses that you probably won't get enough interest with just that topic. Had they been in the AL East, they might've went to the World Series. They were the only AL team that had a winning record against Oakland that season.

Lip Man 1
01-09-2006, 12:24 PM
Dan:

Absolutely I'd buy a book on the 1990 team. The team slogan that year (courtesy of a fan who draped a bedsheet over the facade in the left field upper deck) told it all:

'Doin' the little things...'

Also the bedsheet that hung down in right field and was captured by Sports Illustrated in their story on the first A's / Sox series was particularly telling:

'Yuppie scum go back to Wrigley!'

Lip

tacosalbarojas
01-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Dan - tell your publisher that me and tens of thousands of my best friends promise to buy.

C-Dawg
01-09-2006, 02:02 PM
Dan, if its as good as your other books, I'm in!

TornLabrum
01-09-2006, 05:15 PM
Whatever you do, don't forget the comment by Dave Stewart of the A's that the Sox "couldn't carry my jock." The next time the A's were in town some fans from the leftfield upper deck lowered a giant jockstrap.

spiffie
01-09-2006, 06:51 PM
I would buy that book, read it, and then buy another copy just so I could read it again.

pinwheels3530
01-09-2006, 07:02 PM
Was 1990 the first year that the Sox started wearing the current uniforms that are so popular?

Palehose13
01-09-2006, 07:05 PM
1990 was one of my favorite years. I like the idea of going with before/after 1990, but 1990 as the centerpiece. That was a fun year. The last year of Old Comiskey, Dave Stewart and the jockstrap, the day the Sox were no-hit and won as well as many other things that happened that year.

Palehose13
01-09-2006, 07:06 PM
Was 1990 the first year that the Sox started wearing the current uniforms that are so popular?

IIRC, they wore them the last weekend at old comiskey. It was also the first ever "Turn back the clock day" and baseball's first glimpse at this guy:
:hurt

whtsx1959
01-09-2006, 07:22 PM
The 1990 team remains my favorite regular season White Sox team. If it gets published, I'll be the first one to buy it. However, I doubt you would find enough people like me that would be interested. Too bad there was no wild card back then.
A bold statement

Palehose13
01-09-2006, 07:25 PM
A bold statement

:kneeslap:

wassagstdu
01-09-2006, 07:48 PM
I'll buy it, absolutely. 1990 was my favorite year after 1959 and before 2005. That is probably true of a lot of Sox fans and 1990 is a good choice.

SOXSINCE'70
01-09-2006, 08:46 PM
If you're looking for a memory,here's a painful one (at least for me):

August 1990.Saturday night at Comiskey Park.
The A's lost that afternoon.A win brings the Sox even
closer to that elusive first place in the old A.L.West.
Jack McDowell is shutting out the Halos,2-0.Top of the ninth,
in comes Bobby Thigpen to preserve said lead.He gets wild in the
stike zone,and gives up a 3 run HR to a rookie (Lee Stevens) on a 3-2
pitch with 2 outs.The Sox did nothing against Halos closer Bryan Harvey
in the 9th.All I can remember is Lance Johnson leaping at the CF wall,
only to watch the baseball land just out of the reach of his glove.:(:

OTOH,My best friend and I witnessed a Saturday night game against
the Blow Sawx about a month later.After falling behind 4-0,the RIGHT
Sox rallied for a 7-4 win.They did it in typical fashion of "doing the little
things" ball.Matter of fact,at one point the Pale Hose scored multiple
runs without a baseball leaving the infield.:D: :cool:

Brian26
01-09-2006, 09:01 PM

pitch with 2 outs.

That Lee Stevens game was like a knife through your heart. The Sox still had a chance up to that point, but that game just sucked the life out of them.

MRKARNO
01-09-2006, 09:33 PM
Last year in Comiskey, Thomas, Fisk, Sosa, Ozzie, Ventura, Lyons, McDowell, Thiggy's 57, Kittle...

I'd have to imagine there's enough fodder there for a whole book.

Lip Man 1
01-09-2006, 10:39 PM
A few points:

Actually the Sox started wearing the new black and white pinstripes the final homestand. They wore those threads against the Brewers and Twins as well as Seattle. And regarding Dave Stewert's comment I have the video from CNN that showed a number of jocks tossed into the outfield by Sox fans.

Stewert by the way in his statement mentioned three players that 'could' carry his jock. Those were Kittle, Fisk and Calderon.

Lip

Dan H
01-10-2006, 09:57 AM
Dan, if its as good as your other books, I'm in!

Thanks. That's a nice thing to say. I appreciate all the feedback. If anyone else, has special memories of 1990, I would appreciate that feedback as well. All of this has been very helpful. I hope people will stop by my table at SoxFest.

Lip Man 1
01-10-2006, 11:30 AM
Dan:

What's the latest of the 1977 book?

Also let me know if you are in fact doing a book on the 1990 team and I'll send you whatever contact info I have of guys who played on that club.

Lip

wilburaga
01-10-2006, 11:59 AM
1990 - The year of Thiggy and Barry Jones.

My favorite memories are the two quasi-no-hitters involving Andy Hawkins of the Yanks. (Beating the Yankees is always a fond memory with me.) On July 1st, he pitched an 8 inning no-hitter at Comiskey, losing 4-0 due to a plethora of Yankee miscues. Then 11 days later Hawkins was on the losing end of an 8-0 six inning no-hitter authored by Melido Perez at Yankee Stadium on a godawful night to play baseball.

Neither game is recognized as an official no-hitter now.

W

soxfan1983
01-10-2006, 01:55 PM
i would definitely buy it!!! :)

soxfan1983
01-10-2006, 02:01 PM
1990 - The year of Thiggy and Barry Jones.

My favorite memories are the two quasi-no-hitters involving Andy Hawkins of the Yanks. (Beating the Yankees is always a fond memory with me.) On July 1st, he pitched an 8 inning no-hitter at Comiskey, losing 4-0 due to a plethora of Yankee miscues. Then 11 days later Hawkins was on the losing end of an 8-0 six inning no-hitter authored by Melido Perez at Yankee Stadium on a godawful night to play baseball.

Neither game is recognized as an official no-hitter now.

W

quick question, why were they ever considered no-hitters if they didnt last t he full 9 innings?

Palehose13
01-10-2006, 02:06 PM
quick question, why were they ever considered no-hitters if they didnt last t he full 9 innings?

If they aren't no-hitters then what are they? There were no hits, correct?

wilburaga
01-10-2006, 02:52 PM

MLB changed its definition of what constituted an 'official no-hitter' in 1991, partly in reaction to the Hawkins game. The rule became that the team being no-hit must bat at least 9 complete innings and that if the game went into extra innings, the no-hitter must be maintained until the conclusion of the game. The rules were applied retroactively and close to 50 previously considered no-hitters were stricken from the official list. Included in the carnage were the Perez and Hawkins games referenced above and also Harvey Haddix's extra inning tragedy. My unofficial name for these lost no-hitters is 'quasi-no-nos'.

W

Palehose13
01-10-2006, 03:12 PM
I like "quasi-no-no's" Good unofficial choice.

paciorek1983
01-10-2006, 07:23 PM
I think it could make for an interesting book. The '90 team is one of my favorites. (2005, 1983, 1990, 1994, 1993). It was a fresh start for an orgainzation that had been bashed for the whole new stadium issue. Attendance suffered during the late 80' as well and the '90 team was a nice send-off to a grand old park and a great cross-over to the new park.

It is too bad there wasn't a wild-card back then because the Sox really would have had a chance. The team that beat the A's in the Series that year was the Reds, who played a very similar ball to the Sox. I predicted that the A's didn't stand a chance against the Reds that year based on the way the Sox played the A's.

Fake Chet Lemon
01-10-2006, 07:46 PM
How about calling it:

Comiskey's Final Years: 1983-1990

I think cashing in on some of the glory of 1983 would be a big assist. Regardless, still give 1990 a big share of the book because your original idea is great.

sox1970
01-10-2006, 09:07 PM
How about calling it:

Comiskey's Final Years: 1983-1990

I think cashing in on some of the glory of 1983 would be a big assist. Regardless, still give 1990 a big share of the book because your original idea is great.

What would he do? A chapter on Gary Redus?

TomBradley72
01-10-2006, 09:08 PM
Dan...I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I also think you could get some great stories about how White Sox fans "honored" Old Comiskey during it's last season. I lived downtown that summer....must have attended 20+ games...even went to a few by myself when I couldn't get anyone to go with me...just to "be there". Opening Day, the day we "won a no hitter" against Andy Hawkins, the 1st "Turn Back the Clock" game, some great series against the A's, the last weekend series against Seattle....there are many stories to be told about that great season.

TomBradley72
01-10-2006, 09:11 PM
A few points:

Actually the Sox started wearing the new black and white pinstripes the final homestand. They wore those threads against the Brewers and Twins as well as Seattle. And regarding Dave Stewert's comment I have the video from CNN that showed a number of jocks tossed into the outfield by Sox fans.

Stewert by the way in his statement mentioned three players that 'could' carry his jock. Those were Kittle, Fisk and Calderon.

Lip

We were harassing the A's bus right outside their clubhouse during that series...Canseco and Stewart took the bait of our taunting...and tried to come off the bus to go after us. Hilarious.

And....a few two many beers for a weeknight....but worth it. :gulp:

Brian26
01-10-2006, 09:36 PM

Lip

You mean, "Kittle, Fisk, and Calderon.....maybe."

Brian26
01-10-2006, 09:39 PM
Canseco and Stewart took the bait of our taunting...and tried to come off the bus to go after us.

Wow, that's hard to believe. They seem like such mild-mannered guys.

Which reminds me of one of my favorite 1990 memories: Canseco slipping in a giant puddle of water in deep right field in an end of August night game at Comiskey after it had rained all day. Can't remember who hit it...but it turned out to be a triple, and Canseco got up soaking wet.

dugwood31
01-10-2006, 10:59 PM
I'd buy the book right away, but I suspect I'm among the few.

soxinem1
01-10-2006, 11:11 PM

Hmmm, how about 1983 to 1993, then another from 1994 to 2005? 1983 made history as the first sox team to see playoff action since 1959. Then you can go to the downhill stage, almost moving, last place, a shocking recovery, etc. Same thing from 1993 on. Both decade long periods had some ironic parallells. Make it two volumes. Now that would sell, it would be a nice recap.

As a devoutee to that 1990 team, I'd love the topic, but since it didn't go anywhere except 'across the street', I'd have to also say it needs a broader period of coverage.

I'd be glad to pitch in. I went to every game that year and 12 more on the road!

Wsoxmike59
01-11-2006, 05:59 AM
Wow, that's hard to believe. They seem like such mild-mannered guys.

Which reminds me of one of my favorite 1990 memories: Canseco slipping in a giant puddle of water in deep right field in an end of August night game at Comiskey after it had rained all day. Can't remember who hit it...but it turned out to be a triple, and Canseco got up soaking wet.

I remember that game Brian, and it was Fisk who hit that ball down the line. (IIRC he was pinch hitting) I was at the game with a buddy of mine from out of town who had come in to see the ballpark of his "youth" one final time.

TheKittle
01-11-2006, 03:02 PM
Hmmm, how about 1983 to 1993, then another from 1994 to 2005? 1983 made history as the first sox team to see playoff action since 1959. Then you can go to the downhill stage, almost moving, last place, a shocking recovery, etc. Same thing from 1993 on. Both decade long periods had some ironic parallells. Make it two volumes. Now that would sell, it would be a nice recap.

As a devoutee to that 1990 team, I'd love the topic, but since it didn't go anywhere except 'across the street', I'd have to also say it needs a broader period of coverage.

I'd be glad to pitch in. I went to every game that year and 12 more on the road!

Dan has already wrote a book about the White Sox up to the 97 season. No need to go over that again.

I love the idea about a book about the 1990 season and I would like to see a good write up about the last season at Comiskey Park and maybe how New Comiskey got built.

Wsoxmike59
01-11-2006, 04:25 PM
What would he do? A chapter on Gary Redus?

http://cache.gettyimages.com/thumb/282970.jpg?x=x&a=282970&b=editorial&t=1

I forgot where I heard or read it (maybe off the back of a baseball card) but I still laugh whenever I think of Gary Redus' nickname. "Mule Face"

http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/details_pop.aspx?iid=282970

Dan H
01-11-2006, 05:14 PM
Dan...I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I also think you could get some great stories about how White Sox fans "honored" Old Comiskey during it's last season. I lived downtown that summer....must have attended 20+ games...even went to a few by myself when I couldn't get anyone to go with me...just to "be there". Opening Day, the day we "won a no hitter" against Andy Hawkins, the 1st "Turn Back the Clock" game, some great series against the A's, the last weekend series against Seattle....there are many stories to be told about that great season.

I appreciate all the feedback as always. And I love the idea of getting fan memories of the last season at old Comiskey. In my next book coming about the '77 Sox (coming out in a couple of months), I have some fan memories but could have used more. I am much more interested in getting fan stories. They are more heart felt, and the story about taunting the A's is great.

My contact at the publisher is somewhat interested. I will keep at him. I'd love to do this book.

Scotty Love
01-12-2006, 04:28 PM
I would buy the book and every Sox fan should especially if they have kids. What a way to teach the young fans just what we have gone through.

ondafarm
01-12-2006, 04:31 PM
I'd buy this book in a minute. That 1990 squad did all the little things right and played their hearts out.

soxinem1
01-12-2006, 04:45 PM

pitch with 2 outs.The Sox did nothing against Halos closer Bryan Harvey
in the 9th.All I can remember is Lance Johnson leaping at the CF wall,
only to watch the baseball land just out of the reach of his glove.:(:

OTOH,My best friend and I witnessed a Saturday night game against
the Blow Sawx about a month later.After falling behind 4-0,the RIGHT
Sox rallied for a 7-4 win.They did it in typical fashion of "doing the little
things" ball.Matter of fact,at one point the Pale Hose scored multiple
runs without a baseball leaving the infield.:D: :cool:

I remember both very well, I missed no games that year. Oh, did the CF faithful let Thiggy have it the next day!

And I remember the Sox-Sox series, we swept all four that weekend. I left my brother's wedding to keep the streak alive, caught the last five innings in a tux!