PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Hickey Don Cooper pitching camp

chi_guy
01-09-2006, 09:36 AM
This weekend my son attended the Kevin Hickey / Don Cooper pitching camp in Tinley park. What a great experience and a great camp. Both Kevin and Don are class acts. The first day the kids went through some pitching drills and then they were individually video-taped to show what mechanics they needed to work on. While they were being taped either Don Cooper or Kevin Hickey showed them what they were doing right or wrong while they pitched. Now we can look at the tape at home and go back and listen to what they said. The first day my son had Kevin Hickey. Before my son's turn I stood there and watched and listened to what Kevin was saying. I was so impressed with the way he interacted with the kids. He took a lot of time with each kid. When he talked with him he would crouch down and look the kid right in the eye and explain in detail what they were doing wrong. With the kids that weren't as skilled and had poor mechanics he would high-five them, get real excited and tell them how proud he was every time the kid pitched correctly. You should have seen the smiles on those kids faces.
The second day my son pitched he got Don Cooper. Don was very impressed with his mechanics and pushed backed the catcher to 60 feet and my son was throwing strikes. He asked how old he was and was very surprised when he told him he was only 10. Then we went over the pitching video from the day before with a minor league coach. I'm not sure who it was but I think he was from South Bend. Oh, on Saturday Man Soo Lee (Bull pen catcher) helped out too.

Here is the link to the camp if any one is interested.

http://www.hickeycooper.com/pages/1/index.htm (http://www.hickeycooper.com/pages/1/index.htm)

cleanwsox
01-09-2006, 09:44 AM
I actually ran into Cooper at Midway last night waiting to get through security. He says he was in town for baseball stuff. I assumed it was for White Sox stuff he was talking about but this makes sense as well why he was in town. It was fun talking to him a little bit. I asked him whether or not he could turn Vasquez around like he did Contreras. He told me it shouldn't be that hard seeing his past success in this league. Gotta love the confidence. Anyways, he was really personable and started asking me a bunch of questions on where I was going and what I was doing. I ended up getting a picture with him which was pretty cool.

By the way, to get this joke over with... He did say he saw Kenny in the baggage claim area.

chi_guy
01-09-2006, 10:07 AM
He was very personable. We missed getting Man Soo Lee's autograph and he said that he's in the bullpen around 6:00pm on game day and if we get his attention and call him over he'll get Man Soo to sign his autograph.

oeo
01-09-2006, 10:07 AM
I actually ran into Cooper at Midway last night waiting to get through security. He says he was in town for baseball stuff. I assumed it was for White Sox stuff he was talking about but this makes sense as well why he was in town. It was fun talking to him a little bit. I asked him whether or not he could turn Vasquez around like he did Contreras. He told me it shouldn't be that hard seeing his past success in this league. Gotta love the confidence. Anyways, he was really personable and started asking me a bunch of questions on where I was going and what I was doing. I ended up getting a picture with him which was pretty cool.

By the way, to get this joke over with... He did say he saw Kenny in the baggage claim area.

Was Jenks there too? I hear he's got a real potty mouth.

HomeFish
01-09-2006, 10:52 AM
Make sure your son uses his new cutter only for good, and not for evil.

mandmandm
01-09-2006, 12:28 PM
I gave my son this for Christmas. He loved the camp. Cooper and Hickey were really nice guys who made each kid feel important. I did overhear Cooper saying about how loyal the Sox organization is to its employes, about how he has 19 years with the organization as well as one of the other guys at the camp. Hopefully this means he will be sticking around for a long time.