PDA

View Full Version : Cubs Promoting "Summer"

TomBradley72
01-09-2006, 09:05 AM
Full page color ad in the Tribune today with their 2006 schedule, picture of the Urinal in all it's daytime/sunny glory, etc...headline is, "Summer Starts February 24th" (ie.the day individual tix go on sale). I'm sure this makes me "flubsessed"....but it struck me as pretty funny that this is the best they can come up with.

Hangar18
01-09-2006, 09:15 AM
Full page color ad in the Tribune today with their 2006 schedule, picture of the Urinal in all it's daytime/sunny glory, etc...headline is, "Summer Starts February 24th" (ie.the day individual tix go on sale). I'm sure this makes me "flubsessed"....but it struck me as pretty funny that this is the best they can come up with.

no, it doesnt make you "flubsessed". I love it though, that this is the best they can come up with ............:cool:

Fredsox
01-09-2006, 09:19 AM
It certainly demonstrates the cub mentality. Actually I thought they might hit the "winning" or "it's our turn" theme a bit more this year, and perhaps they will in other ads. Then again, perhaps not. Compare this to the White Sox ads that focus on winning, grinding, tough play, you really can see the difference in the philosophies of the 2 teams.

Beer garden versus baseball team. Same old same old.

1951Campbell
01-09-2006, 09:35 AM

:sahaf

"There was no such ad in the Tribune, and there is no National League team in Chicago. To think so is to be Flubsessed and these posts will not be tolerated!"

Whitesox029
01-09-2006, 11:28 AM
Let them promote Summer. We can promote Fall.

spiffie
01-09-2006, 11:30 AM
This is actually useful info for those of us who try to get to all the crosstown games each year. And for those of us thinking of going to a Phillies game to cheer for Rowand.

Fenway
01-09-2006, 11:31 AM
promotions are a bit lame

meanwhile the renovations continue

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/chc/schedule/promotions.jsp

http://images.bleedcubbieblue.com/images/admin/wrigley0107h.jpg
http://images.bleedcubbieblue.com/images/admin/wrigley0107e.jpg
http://images.bleedcubbieblue.com/images/admin/wrigley0107a.jpg

ChiSoxGirl
01-09-2006, 11:34 AM

Truer words have never been spoken. I love it!

mjharrison72
01-09-2006, 11:39 AM
POTW material! :thumbsup:
I do like the idea of going to see the Phillies and cheering for Rowand, though.
And BTW, Feb. 24 is my birthday.

1951Campbell
01-09-2006, 11:40 AM

Awesome.

Fenway
01-09-2006, 11:41 AM
The Miller sign on Sheffield captures Cubdumb perfectly

"Wait Till Next Beer"

Hangar18
01-09-2006, 12:27 PM

EXCELLENT! Im laughing my butt off right now .....

Hangar18
01-09-2006, 12:29 PM
Looking at those pictures, its Unbelievable how the CUBS were able to get away with DEMOLISHING THE ENTIRE BLEACHERS, when they were supposed to be simply "Renovating" and adding more rows, and a concourse. I wonder if Corporate Counsel has has a look at those pics yet ..............

dividedsk717
01-09-2006, 12:56 PM
"World Championship Defense Begins February 22nd"

TomBradley72
01-09-2006, 12:57 PM
This is actually useful info for those of us who try to get to all the crosstown games each year. And for those of us thinking of going to a Phillies game to cheer for Rowand.

Miller Park is always an option. :cool:

Palehose13
01-09-2006, 01:02 PM

Don't give your money to the Tribune Co. Take a road trip and see Aaron May 16th-18th in Milwaukee!

spiffie
01-09-2006, 01:02 PM
Miller Park is always an option. :cool:
Yes it is. However, when Wrigley is $1.75 and about 15 minutes on the CTA from me, or Miller Park which is either an Amtrak ride and other assorted transport, or the cost of renting a car, suddenly it's just not as good an option.

Plus, I kind of like the Brewers so I wouldn't want to root for their opponent. The Cubs on the other hand...

Hangar18
01-09-2006, 01:06 PM
Don't give your money to the Tribune Co. Take a road trip and see Aaron May 16th-18th in Milwaukee!

This is a pretty cool idea ........... I may consider this

SOXPHILE
01-09-2006, 01:07 PM
Nice pictures Fenway. Looks like they'll have some room to put in pony rides, maybe a ferris wheel, or how about a water slide ? I can see some of the advertising slogans for 2006:

-Come on out to beautiful Wrigley Field. You don't have to watch the baseball if you don't want.

-Wrigley Field. So much to see and do. So much more than just baseball.

-Wrigley Entertainment Center & Nightclub. Hey, if you want to watch baseball, go 8 miles south of here !

Fenway
01-09-2006, 01:08 PM
Looking at those pictures, its Unbelievable how the CUBS were able to get away with DEMOLISHING THE ENTIRE BLEACHERS, when they were supposed to be simply "Renovating" and adding more rows, and a concourse. I wonder if Corporate Counsel has has a look at those pics yet ..............

A lot of Flubs fans are wondering the same thing.

Palehose13
01-09-2006, 01:13 PM
This is a pretty cool idea ........... I may consider this

Well Henry, you know I'll be there (unless I have football practice one of those days). I'd be more than happy to get us tickets, etc.

TomBradley72
01-09-2006, 01:17 PM
Yes it is. However, when Wrigley is $1.75 and about 15 minutes on the CTA from me, or Miller Park which is either an Amtrak ride and other assorted transport, or the cost of renting a car, suddenly it's just not as good an option.

Plus, I kind of like the Brewers so I wouldn't want to root for their opponent. The Cubs on the other hand...

Makes sense....I'm biased since I live so far in the boonies (Antioch)....Miller Park is actually 1 mile closer to my house than The Cell....even when I lived in the city...I just can't stomach Wrigley...except when the WSox are there.

Hitmen77
01-09-2006, 01:57 PM
promotions are a bit lame

meanwhile the renovations continue
http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/chc/schedule/promotions.jsp

Wow, check out that set of roof top seats raised up above that building on steel girders! That looks very traditional, Wrigley is such a jewel! Imagine how far away those seats are from the playing field. People constantly bash the Cell's upper deck seats and yet expensive Wrigley rooftops are always praised in the media. GMAB.

Judging from one of those pictures, it almost looks to me like you won't be able to see anything but the very tops of those buildings on Waveland and Sheffield next year. So much for that wonderful Wrigley view.

Memo to Cub fans, time to update your failure tote board. Wait 'til next beer! :rolleyes:

irish rover
01-09-2006, 02:16 PM
for those going to da coob convention

01/13

- Autograph Hunt Game

- CUBS BINGO!

01/14

MEET CUBS BASEBALL MANAGEMENT

CUBS JEOPARDY!

NOT FOR WOMEN ONLY

CELEBRATING 20 YEARS OF VINE LINE

27 OUTS

VOICES OF THE CUBS

WGN-TV(hmm an hour of gn talking about itself, niiiice)

ROCK AND ROLL REVUE (wonder if Gallas' beatle band will ge there)

01/15

MEET CUBS BUSINESS MANANGEMENT

Also, cutzie names for other events i.e "Whats up Doc"(assume about coob medical staff), "The Skipper and his crew", "Covering the Ivy"(assume its about OF play), "How do you spell relief?"

good times, good times

Whitesox029
01-09-2006, 02:44 PM
POTW material! :thumbsup:

If I hadn't said it someone else would have. :tongue:

doogiec
01-09-2006, 02:54 PM

I can't believe they did not tell the City exactly what they were planning on doing, even they could not get away with that.

It is obvious that they lied to their fans and the public in general about the scope of the project. They literally tore down about 1/3 of the stadium.

Ol' No. 2
01-09-2006, 03:10 PM
I can't believe they did not tell the City exactly what they were planning on doing, even they could not get away with that.

It is obvious that they lied to their fans and the public in general about the scope of the project. They literally tore down about 1/3 of the stadium.Only 2/3 more to go.

Tragg
01-09-2006, 05:26 PM
Those bleachers look like they could use a good scrubbing.

Ol' No. 2
01-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Those bleachers look like they could use a good scrubbing.http://www.iloveproklean.com/

cheeses_h_rice
01-09-2006, 05:44 PM
Wow, check out that set of roof top seats raised up above that building on steel girders! That looks very traditional, Wrigley is such a jewel! Imagine how far away those seats are from the playing field. People constantly bash the Cell's upper deck seats and yet expensive Wrigley rooftops are always praised in the media. GMAB.

Judging from one of those pictures, it almost looks to me like you won't be able to see anything but the very tops of those buildings on Waveland and Sheffield next year. So much for that wonderful Wrigley view.

Memo to Cub fans, time to update your failure tote board. Wait 'til next beer! :rolleyes:

I don't know if anything came of this, but I am pretty sure I heard Mike Murphy talking about a meeting that was supposed to be held today with Tom Tunney (Alderman for the Ward that the Urinal is in) and some of the rooftop owners, who wanted permission to further raise up the height of their rooftop seats.

The only reason I could see this being proposed is that the new bleachers will somewhat obstruct the views for the lower seats on the rooftops.

To quote Jerry Seinfeld, "Aw that's a shame."

:gulp:

DumpJerry
01-09-2006, 09:45 PM
Summer starts on February 24th??? When did it end? I've been watching White Sox games non-stop since April 3, 2005!:cool:

I noticed in the ad one of the promotions listed is on June 28th "Celebrate our 10th Victory of the Season Day." A wee bit optimistic, Mr. McPhail?:D:

duke of dorwood
01-09-2006, 10:45 PM
Get ready for back lash on 4/30 when their male fans cant get pink hats

RadioheadRocks
01-13-2006, 09:24 PM

Bingo! My sentiments exactly!!! :D: