PDA

View Full Version : Best Billboard EVER!

IronFisk
01-08-2006, 11:50 PM
Well, sort of - it's an entire building painted with the WS trophy, and a small Sox logo painted on both sides to face both directions of the Dan Ryan near Canalport - just south of Spaghetti Junction. The only other text is the website.

It ROCKS! Somebody get a pic!!!

C-Dawg
01-09-2006, 05:49 AM
Yeah I saw that yesterday; its really cool! I just about hit the guardrail because I was watching the sign and not the road.

By the way, its not painted, its just a big wrap-around thing they put on that building. So it may not be there all that long - better get pics soon.

soxfanatlanta
01-09-2006, 06:50 AM
Send in pics, please!

hsnterprize
01-09-2006, 07:02 AM
I saw that billboard driving home from downtown on the Dan Ryan heading to the outbond lanes of the Stevenson. It was a pretty neat site to see. Obviously, I couldn't see it all because I had to pay attention to some minor detail...the road.

BTW...I saw a big Nike sign hanging outside the Sports Authority store at LaSalle and Ontario one day. It was black with white writing on it, and it said something like...

"The World Series trophy is on the southside right now...and we're not giving it back."

It was hilarious. If that sign is still up, it's a sight to see. Get a picture of it if you can.

chisoxfanatic
01-09-2006, 01:46 PM
I live just about 1.5 miles from that billboard, and I saw it
while driving home from the airport last night, and it helped me muster a smile in what was an otherwise dim evening. Good work to those who thought of it!

Hangar18
01-09-2006, 01:48 PM
I wanted to start a post about this ............ it looks pretty darn cool,
especially the fact that its about a couple blks from my house and I get to see it every day ......

chisoxfanatic
01-09-2006, 01:51 PM
I wanted to start a post about this ............ it looks pretty darn cool,
especially the fact that its about a couple blks from my house and I get to see it every day ......

But, you're a Cubs fan, Henry! :rolleyes:

skottyj242
01-09-2006, 01:56 PM
I saw that billboard driving home from downtown on the Dan Ryan heading to the outbond lanes of the Stevenson. It was a pretty neat site to see. Obviously, I couldn't see it all because I had to pay attention to some minor detail...the road.

BTW...I saw a big Nike sign hanging outside the Sports Authority store at LaSalle and Ontario one day. It was black with white writing on it, and it said something like...

"The World Series trophy is on the southside right now...and we're not giving it back."

It was hilarious. If that sign is still up, it's a sight to see. Get a picture of it if you can.

I'm pretty sure we've talked about this before and how there is no southside in the city of Chicago.

longshot7
01-09-2006, 02:08 PM
But, you're a Cubs fan, Henry! :rolleyes: How dare you!! Dem's fightin' words!!!!!

ChiSoxGirl
01-09-2006, 02:14 PM
But, you're a Cubs fan, Henry! :rolleyes:

What Cubs fan would make a replica World Series trophy and proudly tour it around town, AND have his picture taken with it and Minnie Minoso...? :tongue:

Jerko
01-09-2006, 02:40 PM
What Cubs fan would make a replica World Series trophy and proudly tour it around town, AND have his picture taken with it and Minnie Minoso...? :tongue:

This one?

http://www.nwitimes.com/art/091205woowoo.jpg

chisoxfanatic
01-09-2006, 02:48 PM

The same one who makes about 90% of his posts talking about the northside minor league ball club. :cool:

skottyj242
01-09-2006, 02:48 PM
This one?

I love the fact that coming out of that cows butt is his face with the grill all messed up.

Lip Man 1
01-09-2006, 04:50 PM
Personally I still enjoyed the one that was put up across the street from Wrigley Field before the 1997 season.

'Real baseball played 8.1 miles south.'

Lip

batmanZoSo
01-09-2006, 05:12 PM
Personally I still enjoyed the one that was put up across the street from Wrigley Field before the 1997 season.

'Real baseball played 8.1 miles south.'

Lip

Unfortunately that was hubris that came back to bite us. It would be perfect for the '06 season, though. :cool:

A_ROW33
01-09-2006, 05:13 PM
it is great but I still have good memories of the one cerca 1994 that said welcome to the city of the big shoulders with Frank thomas's shoulder's under it

IronFisk
01-09-2006, 06:32 PM
This one?

Okay, before all of you have kittens about *** is woo-woo boy leaning against - its actually a bulldog - and it was part of an exhibit with another 50 or so bulldogs around the Crown Point Courthouse Square - yeah, where I live. Problem was - NO Sox dog! :angry: The bulldog was used since that's their high school's nickname - BRILLIANT!

IronFisk
01-09-2006, 06:35 PM
I live just about 1.5 miles from that billboard, and I saw it
while driving home from the airport last night, and it helped me muster a smile in what was an otherwise dim evening. Good work to those who thought of it!

Alright Heather - obvious question - when are YOU going to get a photo of it? Or maybe YOU can Hangar? :cool:

chisoxfanatic
01-09-2006, 11:30 PM
Alright Heather - obvious question - when are YOU going to get a photo of it? Or maybe YOU can Hangar? :cool:

I don't have a digital camera. Hell, I don't even OWN a camera!

Two By Four
01-09-2006, 11:32 PM
So it may not be there all that long - better get pics soon.
Actually it will be up there for three months then we will be putting another one up with players (Working on something with Konerko and FIRE). Here are the pics everyone is asking for. The actual board itself was a math nightmare because it is a round trophy going on a square building. (I'll have larger ones posted off our website tomorrow.)

chisoxfanatic
01-09-2006, 11:35 PM
Actually it will be up there for three months then we will be putting another one up with players (Working on something with Konerko and FIRE). Here are the pics everyone is asking for. The actual board itself was a math nightmare because it is a round trophy going on a square building. (I'll have larger ones posted off our website tomorrow.)

Did someone mention MATH??? :cool:

Martinigirl
01-09-2006, 11:51 PM
TwobyFour, I am not sure if you are the person to ask this or not, but when are the Sox going to change the signage outside the park (facing the Dan Ryan) to say "Home of the World Champion Chicago White Sox"?

And I love the billboard, I saw it Saturday night and it made me giddy. I love seemingly random reminders that we won the World Series. Just driving down the Kennedy and there it appears. It is still amazing.

Two By Four
01-09-2006, 11:55 PM
TwobyFour, I am not sure if you are the person to ask this or not...
Not, but I will ask the right person tomorrow and then post it here. We just do the ads and banners and stuff. The park signage is someone else. There should be a new banner going up on the stadium soon though, Grinder Rule #88.

Martinigirl
01-09-2006, 11:57 PM
Thank you.

And I will always love the "Crying in Baseball" Grinder Rule. It is my favorite.

Two By Four
01-10-2006, 12:00 AM
Thank you.

And I will always love the "Crying in Baseball" Grinder Rule. It is my favorite.
Seems to be a lot of people's favorite...more coming though, just finished about 50 more! Oh, by the way (for those that were asking in a related thread) we are posting a PDF of all of the rules that have been produced on whitesox.com sometime in the next few weeks.

chisoxfanatic
01-10-2006, 12:01 AM
Seems to be a lot of people's favorite...more coming though, just finished about 50 more!

Will the Grinder Rules be going on for a few years?

Two By Four
01-10-2006, 12:05 AM
Will the Grinder Rules be going on for a few years?
They seem to have taken on a life of their own, so for now they continue. They might get a test in five or six years when the Sox stop winning World Championships ;)

But for now they are alive. But we are working on some new angles to freshen it all up, maybe more fan related.

Hangar18
01-10-2006, 11:39 AM
They seem to have taken on a life of their own, so for now they continue. They might get a test in five or six years when the Sox stop winning World Championships ;)

But for now they are alive. But we are working on some new angles to freshen it all up, maybe more fan related.

Any chance you guys are going to put MORE OF THOSE TROPHY related signs up ? I know a perfect place you can put it, 8miles north

DaleJRFan
01-10-2006, 11:42 AM
Any chance you guys are going to put MORE OF THOSE TROPHY related signs up ? I know a perfect place you can put it, 8miles north

:roflmao:

ChiSoxGirl
01-10-2006, 11:51 AM

I know a GREAT place they can put it, too.... Hang one from one of the chain link fences that are set up in the renovation areas, instead of that green tarp that's usually covering the fences. Or better yet... hang it instead of the green tarp, but right next to one of those "Keep Left" signs, and change the word "Left" to "South!" :bandance:

*See the pictures on Page 1 of the "Cubs Promoting 'Summer'" thread in What's The Score to see what I'm referring to.

IronFisk
01-10-2006, 12:22 PM
Here are the pics everyone is asking for. The actual board itself was a math nightmare because it is a round trophy going on a square building. (I'll have larger ones posted off our website tomorrow.)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/Violinski/ren.jpg

You're one of the GOOD ONES...MAN! :bandance:

IronFisk
01-10-2006, 12:24 PM
I don't have a digital camera. Hell, I don't even OWN a camera!

I really don't have an answer for that. Maybe you should drop better hints around Christmas/birthday/Flag Day?

:redneck