PDA

View Full Version : upper deck in right field @ the cell?

Bobby Pigpen
01-08-2006, 04:58 PM
yesterday on Bruce Levine's baseball 360 talk show, he mentioned the sox we're planning to add an upperdeck in right field, I remeber hearing about a home run porch years ago , but nothing ever happened. can anyone confirm or deny this rumor.

RallyBowl
01-08-2006, 05:00 PM
I can confirm that Levine is a douchebag and his rumors usually never come true.

wolf87
01-08-2006, 05:40 PM
Here is a picture I took at the cell (summer 2003) of the proposed right field upper deck plans. Someone in the office left their light on and window shade open so I noticed the design hanging on their wall. From this, I would conclude that at the very least they were thinking about adding a right field porch.

lths06
01-08-2006, 05:42 PM
I know some pople here have the actual comp generated photos saved...

itsnotrequired
01-08-2006, 06:03 PM
The HKS website has a video that still shows the "home run porch". As far as I know, the porch is dead but who knows...

http://www.hksinc.com/

Click on Portfolio > Vizualization > U. S. Cellular Field Renovations. "Video A" is in the lower right corner.

Brian26
01-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Here is a picture I took at the cell (summer 2003) of the proposed right field upper deck plans. Someone in the office left their light on and window shade open so I noticed the design hanging on their wall.

I've noticed some of these plans up on the walls too. These are in the offices along 35th Street along the 3rd base side.

TDog
01-08-2006, 06:20 PM
If you want to ruin the great seats in right field, a home run porch would be the way to go. But people would fawn over it from a distance. The park would be a worse place to see a game, but it might become more fashionable.

The formula works elsewhere, but I thought the Sox were above that.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-08-2006, 06:44 PM
From what I saw on the video, it looks awesome. It doesn't not look too big, almost the size of the Funamentals porch in LF. Those would be great seats. They can name it "The Thome Pad" :cool:

WSox8404
01-08-2006, 06:58 PM
I don't think that would be a bad idea at all. I kind of mirrors the fundamentals deck in left. Kind of balances the park out a little. They would be great seats also IMO. Bring it on I say.

itsnotrequired
01-08-2006, 07:00 PM
From what I saw on the video, it looks awesome. It doesn't not look too big, almost the size of the Funamentals porch in LF. Those would be great seats. They can name it "The Thome Pad" :cool:

Yeah but the seats are over the concourse in the video. There would have to be quite a few 500 ft. bombs even to get to the seats. Hell, Borchard's blast from 2004 wouldn't have made it and that was the longest homer ever at the Cell.

The seats need to be built over the existing right field seats but that would ruin the atmosphere of those sections. A party deck is a better idea, IMO. An extension of the restaurant.

Stoky44
01-08-2006, 07:15 PM
The video from the site appears to be fairly new. If it was from the original plans, there would have been a "grand enterance" near 35th and Dan Ryan. The real question, is this going to happen? What did Bruce say?

Lip Man 1
01-08-2006, 07:50 PM
The only way this happens is if the organization can convince another coporate sponsor to meet the costs. There is not enough money left from the U.S. Cellular company payment for naming rights to make this happen.

Another shrewd call by Bruce Levine.

Lip

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-08-2006, 08:09 PM
The video is a carryover from promo stuff from the All Star Game. As it flies back around into LF over Fundamentals, you can see the ASG logo on the back on one of the billboards.

Levine is, once again, looking for gnat's crap in pepper.

kwkonsl
01-08-2006, 08:12 PM
The only way this happens is if the organization can convince another coporate sponsor to meet the costs. There is not enough money left from the U.S. Cellular company payment for naming rights to make this happen.

Another shrewd call by Bruce Levine.

Lip

I recall hearing last year something about either Jack Daniels or Jim Beam Deck. But I agree they need another sponsor, but that shouldn't be to hard considering we are the world champs and will get a lot more nationaly televised games next year. ie Sunday Night Baseball. By the way the green seat are going to look great also.

kwkonsl
01-08-2006, 08:18 PM
The video is a carryover from promo stuff from the All Star Game. As it flies back around into LF over Fundamentals, you can see the ASG logo on the back on one of the billboards.

Levine is, once again, looking for gnat's crap in pepper.

There may be the All Star Logo in the video but everything else has been updated since then. The upper deck wasnt done until the year after the ASG and the fundamentals as well. The video also right when it comes on says "US Cellular Field 2005" in the corner.

ewokpelts
01-08-2006, 08:21 PM
It was NEVER going to be a "home run porch"........it was planned as a cousin to the fundamentals deck...if you look at the images in questio, the "right field upper deck " seats are over the concourse, NOT the right field seats or bullpen bar......

Gene

kwkonsl
01-08-2006, 08:52 PM
It was NEVER going to be a "home run porch"........it was planned as a cousin to the fundamentals deck...if you look at the images in questio, the "right field upper deck " seats are over the concourse, NOT the right field seats or bullpen bar......

Gene

I dont know about you but that sure looks like it is over the seats. Im pretty sure that this idea has been thrown out the window but as the sketch shows the initial plan was to make a "home run porch" similar to the one the the Texas Rangers have in right field in Arlington. The one in the video is much smaller and compliments the fundamentals much better.
http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/al/comiskey752.jpg

dickallen15
01-08-2006, 09:02 PM
I dont know about you but that sure looks like it is over the seats. Im pretty sure that this idea has been thrown out the window but as the sketch shows the initial plan was to make a "home run porch" similar to the one the the Texas Rangers have in right field in Arlington. The one in the video is much smaller and compliments the fundamentals much better.
http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/al/comiskey752.jpg

If that had been built, I wonder what it would have done to the wind currents with the ads on top of the deck. It might knock the ball down in RF. The way its configured now, the one area the ball doesn't carry all that well is when its hit into the area inside the ends of the CF scoreboard. You don't see many tape measure shots at USCF to CF.

Frater Perdurabo
01-08-2006, 09:39 PM
If that had been built, I wonder what it would have done to the wind currents with the ads on top of the deck. It might knock the ball down in RF. The way its configured now, the one area the ball doesn't carry all that well is when its hit into the area inside the ends of the CF scoreboard. You don't see many tape measure shots at USCF to CF.

Honestly, there's no way to accurately predict how any modifcations would affect air currents and how they would impact the flight of a batted ball. Threre are far too many variables.

In any case, the deck in the drawing seems far too imposing, even when I put a slip of paper over the giant billboards on top of its roof. The one in the video seems much better, IMHO.

bigfoot
01-08-2006, 09:42 PM

CF shots would need a strong NW wind to help. Not a strong possibility unless the cold and bitter Hawk-wind can happen during a nice warm August evening.
Be ready to duck for cover the incoming storm if that's happening.
The "porch" might block a strong due South breeze, but that doesn't occur often either.

Sorry, the "porch" looks much like the "rooftop seating" in the Urinal. So close, yet so farrrrrr away!

TomBradley72
01-08-2006, 09:49 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the WSox are re-surfacing this idea. My guess is that they are pleasantly surprised at how quickly they are filling up the place with attendance (by Opening Day...I predict nearly the entire season will be sold out)...natural to see if they could increase capacity with some decent seats and continue to enhance the ballpark. If they start drawing close to 3M...the stadium authority may have the cash to do it on their own...especially if they would expect a good return on the investment.....and could find a corporate sponsor to contribute.

Max Power
01-08-2006, 10:17 PM
I use to be a big fan of the right field upper deck proposal, but not anymore. I think the park is very good just the way it is now. It's not great, but a lot of the things I don't like (extra level of skyboxes) can't be corrected now, so I just accept them. The changes they've made so far have been outstanding, but I don't think a right field upper deck is worth it. It's time to leave well enough alone.

Malgar 12
01-08-2006, 10:20 PM
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/GREGGT%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/TEMP/moz-screenshot-1.jpg

CLR01
01-08-2006, 10:54 PM
This thread, like the upper deck policy threads, gets better everytime it is brought up.

TheOldRoman
01-08-2006, 11:22 PM
I don't think that would be a bad idea at all. I kind of mirrors the fundamentals deck in left. Kind of balances the park out a little. They would be great seats also IMO. Bring it on I say.
NO! We dont want to balance the park out. Parks are supposed to be asymetrical. The outfield is not supposed to be the same on both sides.
That is why every park since New Comiskey isn't symmetical. That is why they brought in the fence an arbitrary 5 feet in LF. The park needs to be less symetrical to not make it look like a boring cookie-cutter park.
I would like to see them build something in RF, but they have to not make it look like the fundamentals.

paciorek1983
01-08-2006, 11:32 PM
NO! We dont want to balance the park out. Parks are supposed to be asymetrical. The outfield is not supposed to be the same on both sides.
That is why every park since New Comiskey isn't symmetical. That is why they brought in the fence an arbitrary 5 feet in LF. The park needs to be less symetrical to not make it look like a boring cookie-cutter park.
I would like to see them build something in RF, but they have to not make it look like the fundamentals.

Yes I agree. Something should be built in right field, but it shouldn't "match" left field.

Parrothead
01-09-2006, 01:04 AM
gnat's crap in pepper.

:?:

DumpJerry
01-09-2006, 01:13 AM
Well, I don't think a corp. sponsor will be needed. The Ill. Sports Facility Auth (the owners of Comiskey, BTW), can float a bond issue for the project. Would be nice not having a whole seating section named for a corporation, esp. a booze company.

Whether I like the idea or not, I am mixed. It would make for good TV to have a crowded Right Field background on homer out that way, the extra seats will bring in more $$ to the team (unless all the revenues are needed to pay off the bond obligations if that is the way it is done), the stadium will be louder because the noise will bounce off and reflect back into the stadium.

However, one thing I would not like is the loss of the open air on the concourse. I miss the open air in Left Field. I think that all that daylight out in the outfield during day games is part of the atmosphere that makes Comiskey a special place.

Ok, so much for that, nobody from the Sox or ISFA has actually called me....

Huisj
01-09-2006, 01:24 AM
The outfield is not supposed to be the same on both sides.

I hope that post was supposed to be written in at least half teal. Why do parks have to be asymetrical? I just don't understand that.

Also, did anyone notice that all these pictures have blue seats? Oh no, all the dreams of every generation will be crushed when they find that the new seats they're putting in are actually blue all over again!! These pictures make it clear that they never had green seats in the plan at all, and it was all a big hoax! :tongue:

Vernam
01-09-2006, 02:06 AM
All this talk reminds me of not-too-distant days when people complained that the U.S. Cellular park-naming windfall was put into bricks and mortar instead of flesh and blood . . .

I've been thinking recently about assymetry, too, and pretty much agree with Old Roman, though some of the new parks have a phony lack of symmetry because their designs are abitrary, i.e., not necessarily dictated by necessity as is the Green Monster, for example. No big deal, maybe, but it would be especially phony now to reconfigure our outfield dimensions any further just to suit the fashion. That would be kind of like building a big mound in deep centerfield as Houston did.

What I like about our park is that it's so utilitarian. It's about how you watch the ****ing game, not about some Disneyfied experience of fake nostalgia. As the park fills up again, people are going to realize how good most of the maligned upper deck seats are. I didn't hear anyone complaining last October!

Vernam

MadetoOrta
01-09-2006, 08:06 AM
1. More seats for the non-corporate fans to bring their kids [the next generation of Sox fans];
2. Gives the place the feel of the old ballpark;
3. Makes the Cell louder; and
4. More revenue for the Sox.

So long as it doesn't hang over the rightfield bleachers. Besides, it would have been nice during Game 2 of the World Series to have something over my head as I stood in the rain on the rightfield concourse. Ahhhhh it was worth it!

Just do it.

hsnterprize
01-09-2006, 08:43 AM
I'm agreeing with DumpJerry on this one...I'm mixed on any new major renovations to the park. It's one thing if they're building a fan deck-style structure to the right field area, but an actual upper deck? I'm not so sure on that one. Yes...there is the potential for more fans, more revenue, and a better look on TV if that area is full. But on the down side, I'm just not sure how it would look compared to what the ballpark has now. Of course, we can see pictures of plans, but actually seeing it in person...that's something to imagine. I was one of the "renovate Comiskey Park" people for years, and I'm more than happy with what the Sox did to their ballpark. And with the team winning like they are now, a tourist-attraction ballpark isn't what the Sox ought to be going for.

I realize I'm preaching to the choir on this one, but if the Sox are serious about adding more stuff to the ballpark, I'll take a "wait and see" attitude before I judge.

IMHO, if anything needs to be changed at the Cell, how about turning the dot-matrix scoreboard in left and the out-of-town scoreboard in right into L.E.D. color boards? I like the color scoreboard Cleveland's Jacobs Field has. The Sox ought to try and get something like that for both their in-game and out-of-town scoreboards.

mrwag
01-09-2006, 08:44 AM
[quote=MadetoOrta]1. More seats for the non-corporate fans to bring their kids [the next generation of Sox fans];
quote]

I think those are good reasons to do it. The RF porch could be a low priced option to get in the park, which would compliment the bleacher sections. Not everyone can afford to take a family of 4 to a game at over $30 a seat. The one thing I really liked about Miller Park was that they have a wide variety of pricing and seating options, some of which are very reasonable.

Hangar18
01-09-2006, 09:10 AM
How about MORE BRICKS on the INSIDE of the park for starters, warm it up just a bit more. And if theyre hell-bent on an upper deck in RIGHTFIELD,
Id be ok with a mini sort of UD, maybe something that only fits 1,000 people .....
Do NOT, I repeat DO NOT make the UD anything like that MONSTROSITY with the Humoungous billboards on top of it.

A.T. Money
01-09-2006, 10:29 AM
You can't put anything over the RF bleachers because it'll obstruct the view of those in the Stadium Club. You won't be about to see center field. The structure would need to be built above the concourse...and it can't be higher than the club level.

Otherwise, I like the idea. It'd be cool.

Hitmen77
01-09-2006, 12:31 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Sox officials are starting to consider the idea of a RF deck again in light of the upcoming attendance surge. If such a project added another 2,000 seats and there is enough demand to sell them throught the season, then at $30 per ticket that would total almost $5 million in ticket revenue (and that's not counting revenues from parking and concessions).

I believe someone discussed on this site last year (long before our World Series win) that the project wasn't financially worthwhile if the Sox as long as the Sox didn't have a ton of sellouts because they wouldn't really be seeing extra revenue from new seats when there were existing seats going unsold. But things are different now. If the Sox are looking at alot of full houses this summer, then it's believable to me that team officials are looking at ways to add extra seating.

Hitmen77
01-09-2006, 12:33 PM
1. More seats for the non-corporate fans to bring their kids [the next generation of Sox fans];

So long as it doesn't hang over the rightfield bleachers. Besides, it would have been nice during Game 2 of the World Series to have something over my head as I stood in the rain on the rightfield concourse. Ahhhhh it was worth it!

Just do it.

...and it would have been nice during Game 2 if an additional 2,000 Sox fans could have gotten tickets to that game. The same could be said for all the other postseason home games.

pinwheels3530
01-09-2006, 05:37 PM
Watching the visualization video on the HKS website. I think the upper deck in right field would be a great idea. It does not obstruct the view from the lower reserved seats. The only thing I would do different is put a little roof over it.

MadetoOrta
01-09-2006, 05:56 PM
...and it would have been nice during Game 2 if an additional 2,000 Sox fans could have gotten tickets to that game. The same could be said for all the other postseason home games.

I agree and made that point [sort of in the post. 40,000 seats isn't much when your reigning World Champs. Expect some big time complaining this summer about lack of ticket availability. What a problem to have. I love being a Sox fan!

chisox2005
01-09-2006, 06:53 PM
If we fill up the seats that are already there, then we can start talking about adding seats. If the Sox put two big attendance years together, don't be suprised to see them rethink the idea.

roylestillman
01-09-2006, 10:33 PM
Face it folks,the reduction in the number of seats in the park fits the new baseball model: create the idea of a shortage of seats and more folks will buy season ticket plans to avoid being shut out of the games during the season. Its worked in Boston for years. That said, I like the concept in the video. Its got to look better than those billboards. (I seem to recall having to stare at "Chicago Tribune" for a number of seasons.)

soxinem1
01-09-2006, 10:46 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the WSox are re-surfacing this idea. My guess is that they are pleasantly surprised at how quickly they are filling up the place with attendance (by Opening Day...I predict nearly the entire season will be sold out)...natural to see if they could increase capacity with some decent seats and continue to enhance the ballpark. If they start drawing close to 3M...the stadium authority may have the cash to do it on their own...especially if they would expect a good return on the investment.....and could find a corporate sponsor to contribute.

I'm not too sure any of this stuff will happen.

Even if they get an extra $5-6 million a year in revenue, the cost will be $40-50 million to do that major of a modification.

I remember the rendering in the 1980's showing the RF upper deck, and was quite saddened and upset when it was not built. Back then I knew Reinsdorf had no inclination to mock Comiskey or create anything to resemble it. Plus, most of the modern stadiums do not have OF upper decks.

Then you are talking an extended unprecedented attendance run just to break even in maybe 10 years. Don't forget, ballpark expenses increase considerably too. Reinsdorf has always been a bottom line guy, I just cannot see him changing one of his most famous hardline stances.

Another sponsor is possible, but they may have limitations with the naming deal with US Cell, so that may be a hurdle. I cannnot say that I would blame them. All the money they dumped on the Sox just so they can create the 'Jim Beam HR Deck' or the 'Empress Casino Grand Slam Section' to steal attention from US Cellular? Nah, don't think so.

So that would mean the team is paying for the modification. No way is that happening.

Finally, at this stage in his life I fail to see Reinsdorf willing to do such a thing.

Plus, to recreate this park to look like the one he worked so hard to tear down seems a bit unlikely, right?

pinwheels3530
01-10-2006, 05:44 AM
It was mentioned in the official press release that the Sox would use the funds raised from the blue seat sale for future renovations. So there might be some future renovations down the line.

Stoky44
01-10-2006, 11:08 AM
I remember the rendering in the 1980's showing the RF upper deck, and was quite saddened and upset when it was not built. Back then I knew Reinsdorf had no inclination to mock Comiskey or create anything to resemble it.

Anybody have these renderings? I would love to see this. Anyone have any renderings of the new park?

mdep524
01-10-2006, 11:26 AM

Gene The very first step in considering the deck, before the funding and the sponsorship, etc., is convincing the fans once and for all that it is NOT A HOMERUN PORCH AND WILL NOT OVERHANG THE ENTIRE RIGHTFIELD BLEACHERS.

Once people finally accept this, then we can talk. :smile:

Personlly, I am all for this new deck. It would make the park grander and more intimate at the same time.

ewokpelts
01-12-2006, 01:39 AM
All this talk reminds me of not-too-distant days when people complained that the U.S. Cellular park-naming windfall was put into bricks and mortar instead of flesh and blood . . .

I've been thinking recently about assymetry, too, and pretty much agree with Old Roman, though some of the new parks have a phony lack of symmetry because their designs are abitrary, i.e., not necessarily dictated by necessity as is the Green Monster, for example. No big deal, maybe, but it would be especially phony now to reconfigure our outfield dimensions any further just to suit the fashion. That would be kind of like building a big mound in deep centerfield as Houston did.

What I like about our park is that it's so utilitarian. It's about how you watch the ****ing game, not about some Disneyfied experience of fake nostalgia. As the park fills up again, people are going to realize how good most of the maligned upper deck seats are. I didn't hear anyone complaining last October!

Vernamten bucks says the sox, and 6000 fans a game, will be missing those "so bad we had to take them out" ud seats
Gene

IlliniSox4Life
01-12-2006, 02:00 AM
I would like to see something in right field, but I'm not quite sure what. I don't really want more seats unless it's in a unique way.

What about a giant replica of the world series trophy? Build a deck about as high off the concourse as Fundamentals and have the trophy go at least as high as the overhang of the seats. That would be quite an intimidating sight.

TomBradley72
01-12-2006, 08:19 AM
ten bucks says the sox, and 6000 fans a game, will be missing those "so bad we had to take them out" ud seats
Gene

They'll miss the revenue but they won't regret how that move drastically improved the overall look of the park. The removal of the UD seats was also preceded by adding seats to the lower bowl (down the lines, and in the bleachers where the old bullpens used to be).

SouthSide_HitMen
01-12-2006, 08:31 AM
ten bucks says the sox, and 6000 fans a game, will be missing those "so bad we had to take them out" ud seats
Gene

The fans might, the White Sox won't. By creating a limit on tickets you create a demand for getting tickets early and often to avoid being shut out. This is why Fenway and Wrigley sell out most games in the winter (and why Oakland reduced a great number of seats) - since there is a limited supply of seats people try to get those limited seats on the first day possible. Yankee Stadium, by contrast, has trouble selling out the upper deck until the day of the game (except for games vs. the Mets and Red Sox and playoffs). There are so many seats in the upper deck people have no urgency to buy them (which is why the Yankees offer a discount on tickets purchased before game day).

The White Sox spent many years after 1994 trying to get people into the Upper Deck. Tin can Tuesday, $1 Kids Sunday, free coupons handed out everywhere (which you were kind enough to forward last season). The White Sox have such a great demand for 2006 I believe most of those gimmicks will be scaled back or eliminated.

The Upper Deck seats are great between 1st and 3rd and OK throughout the reserved section (except the far upper OF corners). More fans will experience the Upper Deck this season then at any point since 1994. I think they will like what they see and want to return back (hopefully the Sox will properly staff the UD concession stands which has sometimes been a problem in the past). With 6000 of the worst seats removed, fans know they better act on their desire to come back well before game time.

Pulaski
01-12-2006, 11:31 AM
I think it would be a great idea to add the right field upper deck. I always enjoyed the uppe deck at the old park. Adding more seats = more revenue; which equals higher Team Salary!

I would like to see it completed by opening day 2007.

ondafarm
01-12-2006, 11:39 AM
. . .It doesn't not look too big, almost the size of the Funamentals porch in LF. . .

Your high school English teacher just committed hari kiri (or maybe Steve Stone.)

WSox8404
01-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Gene

I was just thinking about that. Man o man. They really could have used those for this upcoming year. And if we keep on winning I bet we do put more seats up somewhere. And seeing as they will not dare to put them in the upper deck, the most logical place, well the only place, is the outfield.

lths06
01-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Your high school English teacher just committed hari kiri (or maybe Steve Stone.)

:D: