PDA

View Full Version : My Bro and Kevin Hickey!

Sox-on-TV44
01-08-2006, 01:22 PM
On Friday,my brother told me about a customer at Red Lobster on south Plauski.Mind you he's a Cub fan (But in my family,he's outnumbered,me and my pops are die-hard Sox fans!),but he told me he served lunch to ex-Sox pitcher Kevin Hickey and his mom.

My bro was cool with him,and he said he was a nice guy.But DAMMIT!He didn't ask for an autograph!But still I wish I was there.

BeefyD
01-08-2006, 02:48 PM
I thought I heard that he was a coach at a local college or maybe even high school. If so, just write to him via the school. Richie Zisk is a coach in Florida (minor league team), and I sent him a cheap ball with return-postage and he gave me a beautiful signature! I was so excited, he was the one player I idolized in grade school.

ilsox7
01-08-2006, 02:50 PM
On Friday,my brother told me about a customer at Red Lobster on south Plauski.Mind you he's a Cub fan (But in my family,he's outnumbered,me and my pops are die-hard Sox fans!),but he told me he served lunch to ex-Sox pitcher Kevin Hickey and his mom.

My bro was cool with him,and he said he was a nice guy.But DAMMIT!He didn't ask for an autograph!But still I wish I was there.

Good that he didn't ask for an autograph. Doing so while someone is out with family at dinner is inappropriate.

CLR01
01-08-2006, 03:11 PM
Good that he didn't ask for an autograph. Doing so while someone is out with family at dinner is inappropriate.

x2 if you work for the restaurant.

ilsox7
01-08-2006, 03:14 PM
x2 if you work for the restaurant.

Probably a fire-able offense, too.

NSSoxFan
01-08-2006, 03:23 PM
Probably a fire-able offense, too.

Without question. When I was busing tables at McMahon's Steakhouse, the number one rule was not to ask 'celebs' for autographs.

Lip Man 1
01-08-2006, 03:26 PM
Beffy D:

Any contact information you have on Zisk I'd appreciate having for a potential WSI Interview. Please e-mail me at: mliptak1@msn.com

Lip

Sox-on-TV44
01-08-2006, 03:43 PM

Uhh,you forgot.

My bro is a Cubs fan.So it wouldn't have mattered in his eyes.

ilsox7
01-08-2006, 03:46 PM
Uhh,you forgot.

My bro is a Cubs fan.So it wouldn't have mattered in his eyes.

Uhh, you missed my point. No matter who he is a fan of, if he had asked for an autograph it would have been inappropriate and he probably would have been fired.

Sox-on-TV44
01-08-2006, 03:53 PM
Uhh, you missed my point. No matter who he is a fan of, if he had asked for an autograph it would have been inappropriate and he probably would have been fired.

Good point.

But he hates his job there,so it wouldn't have mattered.:D:

ewokpelts
01-08-2006, 04:05 PM
I thought I heard that he was a coach at a local college or maybe even high school. If so, just write to him via the school. Richie Zisk is a coach in Florida (minor league team), and I sent him a cheap ball with return-postage and he gave me a beautiful signature! I was so excited, he was the one player I idolized in grade school.
Hickey's on the Sox staff.
Gene

pdimas
01-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Hickey is a really cool guy. My father and I ran into him at Sox fest just walking around. No one else even recognized him. He was from the same parish and grammar school on the south side as my mother's family, St. Agnes in Brighton Park which doesn't even exist anymore.

gaelhound
01-08-2006, 07:19 PM
Uhh, you missed my point. No matter who he is a fan of, if he had asked for an autograph it would have been inappropriate and he probably would have been fired.He should be fired for being a cub fan!!!

mike squires
01-09-2006, 12:30 AM
I practically had to beg Kevin to sign my old wooden seat slat from the ol' yard. He made it look like I was gonna pull his teeth out or something. He was working but there was a point he was just sitting in the dugout after he said he'd sign in a minute. I've heard good stories about him...and well, I guess he eventually signed it but I had to remind him 4 times.

Garland_IS_God
01-09-2006, 12:13 PM
My buddy works at Applebees in Joliet and he was Ryne Sandbergs waiter. His boss knew Sandberg would be coming in and informed staff that anybody who asked for an autograph would be fired on the spot. Funny thing is that Ryne paid for his meal by credit card and signed the receipt "RYNE SANDBERG HOF 2005." My buddy thought Sandberg was a jerk for doing that...I think it was probably just out of habit and maybe it slipped his mind. He left my buddy a $5.00 tip.

SOXPHILE
01-09-2006, 12:16 PM
My buddy works at Applebees in Joliet and he was Ryne Sandbergs waiter. His boss knew Sandberg would be coming in and informed staff that anybody who asked for an autograph would be fired on the spot. Funny thing is that Ryne paid for his meal by credit card and signed the receipt "RYNE SANDBERG HOF 2005." My buddy thought Sandberg was a jerk for doing that...I think it was probably just out of habit and maybe it slipped his mind. He left my buddy a $5.00 tip.

What's wrong with that ? I do something similar. After I sign my name, I then write "Fan of the 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX".

Wsoxmike59
01-09-2006, 05:47 PM
Hickey's on the Sox staff.
Gene

You're correct Gene, Hickey is the Batting Practice Pitcher for the Sox. He even made the 2005 team picture (He's the guy without a # numeral on the front of his jersey)

roylestillman
01-09-2006, 09:41 PM
If somebody has a story about Derek Jeter coming into a Chili's let's get it out now....

whitesoxwilkes
01-09-2006, 09:45 PM
What's wrong with that ? I do something similar. After I sign my name, I then write "Fan of the 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX".

I actually did that at the White Hen at Jackson/Desplaines when I stopped there on the way home after the WS winner for a bottle of cheap champagne.