PDA

View Full Version : "Serenity now, serenity now."

Chez
01-08-2006, 10:08 AM
After the Sox won the World Series, I told my wife that in the future it wouldn't bother me as much if one of my teams lost a game because I had "been to the mountain top" -- something I was sure wouldn't happen in my lifetime. She laughed-.

Well my theory is turning out to be true. The Illini got thumped yesterday at Iowa and I haven't thrown anything or even sulked [much]. I guess I'll wait till Jenks blows a save before I declare myself completely Zen-like; but so far, so good.

rocky biddle
01-08-2006, 11:05 AM
I had the same feeling after watching ND get smoked by tOSU. I looked to the right of the tv to see the mini replica World Series trophy and thought, "All is still well in the universe."

kevin57
01-08-2006, 12:37 PM
I agree. Still on Cloud 9.

The real test for fans will be if/when the Bears fail in the post-season.

RallyBowl
01-08-2006, 12:46 PM
The real test for fans will be if/when the Bears fail in the post-season.

Yeah, I was just thinking if the Bears lose, I will be pissed and probably be all ****** for a while. At least until pitchers and catchers report anyways.:smile:

Winning the WS was awesome, but the Super Bowl is a completely different animal. For me personally, I was only 6 when the 85 team won, so I don't remember much. But I certainly do remember being a Bears fan before I was a Sox fan, so a SB Championship has just as much meaning for me.

doublem23
01-08-2006, 12:49 PM
Next season will be a test, but I'm sure that I'm going to get frustarted the next time the Sox have a real rough stretch of games.

BeefyD
01-08-2006, 02:54 PM
While I think the Sox will be a contender, I don't think I'll be upset if we do not repeat. As for the Bears, it'd be great for them to win it all, but as long as we give Carolina a stomping, I think I'll be satisfied. The Bears really don't have an offense to be expecting to be getting the Lombardi trophy.

I guess I'm too much of a realist, the same person who thought we'd beat the Red Sox in 4 and then lose in the next round. What do I know...

pearso66
01-08-2006, 05:08 PM
Yeah, I was just thinking if the Bears lose, I will be pissed and probably be all ****** for a while. At least until pitchers and catchers report anyways.:smile:

Winning the WS was awesome, but the Super Bowl is a completely different animal. For me personally, I was only 6 when the 85 team won, so I don't remember much. But I certainly do remember being a Bears fan before I was a Sox fan, so a SB Championship has just as much meaning for me.

I agree. I was only 4 when the Bears won it all, but I remember being a Bears fan first, but only because my parents always went to cub games with their friends, so I was a Cub fan first. But in 1992 I went to my first Sox game, and was hooked from then on.

RKMeibalane
01-08-2006, 05:09 PM
I still get frustrated when one of my other teams loses. Maybe it's different for me because I live outside of Chicago, and am less connected to everything that's going on.

Frater Perdurabo
01-08-2006, 05:14 PM
There is no sports team (pro, college or otherwise) that I care as much about as the White Sox. While I know they won't win the World Series every year in the future (then again....), every future game the Sox lose won't sting near as much as they used to, because I'll always have the sweet memories of 2005 to remember (as well as my 2005 World Series DVD to watch!).

:)

veeter
01-08-2006, 06:31 PM
I'm pretty sure it's going to take one pitch to get back into swing.

chisoxfanatic
01-09-2006, 03:05 PM
I don't know about you guys, but the Blackhawks' 10-game losing streak is killing me...Major suckage!

Fortunately, our Sox have put Chicago on the sports map once again and stopped people saying that all we have are a bunch of losers.

DaleJRFan
01-09-2006, 03:20 PM
The Sox have the same winning formula for 2006 that they employed with great success last season. PITCHING, PITCHING and more PITCHING. The biggest difference for 2006 over 2005 is that the team is stronger on the bench and stronger in the DH position.

The Sox will be less susceptible to those 3 or 4 game hitting slumps since the lineup is more balanced with speed, power and contact hitters, as opposed to last season.

Until the Sox do hit one of those slumps in 06, I'll remain optimistic that they will dominate the AL next season, even more so than they did in 05, in route to a repeat performance in 06.

batmanZoSo
01-09-2006, 03:36 PM
After the Sox won the World Series, I told my wife that in the future it wouldn't bother me as much if one of my teams lost a game because I had "been to the mountain top" -- something I was sure wouldn't happen in my lifetime. She laughed-.

Well my theory is turning out to be true. The Illini got thumped yesterday at Iowa and I haven't thrown anything or even sulked [much]. I guess I'll wait till Jenks blows a save before I declare myself completely Zen-like; but so far, so good.

I decided to become Zen-like and no longer worry about the outcome of baseball games before the playoffs started and it was the best thing I ever did. Sounds flaky, but it's true. The only time I really had butterflies was for the entire last game, standing the whole time at the bar. Oh, and the El Duque inning in Boston was pretty intense. I paced around while chain smoking, going back from the chat room to the TV. But other than that, it's a good move. No point in sports anxiety I say.

Palehose13
01-09-2006, 04:15 PM
The only team that even comes close to the Sox for me is the Bears, and they aren't even that close. I guess we'll see how I am when the Bears season is over, but I only expected them to go .500 so I guess this is icing.

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-09-2006, 04:19 PM
I too didn't expect the Bears to win the division, much less a 1st round bye. This is all a pleasant extra. I have all my WS championship stuff, as well as my new Bears NFC Norris division champs hat. If the Bears don't make it all the way, opening day is less than 90 days away....life IS good.