PDA

View Full Version : Who on this site said Chris Singleton was the best all-around center fielder ever

bc2k
12-30-2001, 03:18 AM
Chris Singleton is not the greatest cf ever to play the game. That is a laughable suggestion. The guy never works a count, he can't lay down the bunt consistantly, he is too scared to dive when running in on a ball, can't steel a base, and never walks. Even if he corrected all this, to call an at best .300 hitter the greatest to ever play cf is the dumbest statement I have heard on this site.

CLR01
12-30-2001, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
Chris Singleton is not the greatest cf ever to play the game. That is a laughable suggestion. The guy never works a count, he can't lay down the bunt consistantly, he is too scared to dive when running in on a ball, can't steel a base, and never walks. Even if he corrected all this, to call an at best .300 hitter the greatest to ever play cf is the dumbest statement I have heard on this site.

I did and your blind hatered and jealousy will not make me change my mind. Thank you, you may now sit down.

RedPinStripes
12-30-2001, 03:26 AM
"Calm down Clr. I'm still here for you."
:slowswing

bc2k
12-30-2001, 04:40 AM
If Chris Singleton is so great, why do you think the sox were trying to obtain Erstad? This is not a fight, I just want to understand you feelings on this

CLR01
12-30-2001, 04:42 AM
If Chris Singleton is so great, why do you think the sox were trying to obtain Erstad? This is not a fight, I just want to understand you feelings on this

As great as he is you need a suitable back-up, like i said what if he were to get hurt, and he cant play every game, even Singleton needs a rest from time to time. :smile:

bc2k
12-30-2001, 04:45 AM
i agree with your thinking on singleton as a fourth outfielder, but by greatest ever, you must have meant greatest backup ever?

CLR01
12-30-2001, 04:49 AM
i agree with your thinking on singleton as a fourth outfielder, but by greatest ever, you must have meant greatest backup ever?

No no, sigleton, if he stays healthy will be a first ballot HOF'er, they may even change the rules to allow him in the very next year after his retirement (you though Ripken got a nice farwell parade by all the teams just wait). Erstad would naturally be his backup.

bc2k
12-30-2001, 05:02 AM
Clr, shall i ask the other members what they feel on the topic in the poll section?

CLR01
12-30-2001, 05:08 AM
Clr, shall i ask the other members what they feel on the topic in the poll section?

No need for that, they are all in agreement with me. We love singleton here, is is our hero. We are all loyals followers of singletonism.

"What can i say besides, I RULE!"

kermittheefrog
12-30-2001, 05:17 AM
Wow bc2k made it through a thread without ripping RPS.

Jjav829
12-30-2001, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Wait this thread isn't over yet...

(stay tuned)

Spiff
12-30-2001, 09:38 AM
Singleton had the second-best average on the team last year. Yes there were injuries but that's not too shabby. I change my stance.

KEEP SINGLETON

Daver
12-30-2001, 11:24 AM

:troll

WinningUgly!
12-30-2001, 12:46 PM

bc2k, I never understood the street signs that say "Slow Children At Play" until reading your posts. I always thought they meant for traffic to drive slow because children were playing. Obviously in your neighborhood they had a whole different meaning. One of the children playing was actually that slow. :cool:

RedPinStripes
12-30-2001, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by CLR01

As great as he is you need a suitable back-up, like i said what if he were to get hurt, and he cant play every game, even Singleton needs a rest from time to time. :smile:

lol!

RedPinStripes
12-30-2001, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

He's got nothing on me and he knows it. Unless he wants to point out my mis spellings.

bc2k
12-31-2001, 12:16 AM
Aaron Rowand is the best center fielder on the sox. Slow children at play? Good one, but next time come up with a joke on your own. Put down the George Carlin HBO special, and write some new material. PUT IT DOWN!

Soxheads
12-31-2001, 12:25 AM
Aaron Rowand is the best center fielder on the sox. Slow children at play? Good one, but next time come up with a joke on your own. Put down the George Carlin HBO special, and write some new material. PUT IT DOWN!

Whoa! Aim before you flame! Innocent people are getting ripped!

Jerry_Manuel
12-31-2001, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Soxheads
Whoa! Aim before you flame! Innocent people are getting ripped!

I like this new guy.

RedPinStripes
12-31-2001, 01:05 AM

Well here's something we sort of agree on. I am a Rowand fan, but he is not the best on the team.

This could start the rowand brawl all over again.lol

CLR01
12-31-2001, 01:13 AM

Aaron Rowand is not the best Centerfielder on the sox. Whats next you say Harold Baines is the best DH we have?

RedPinStripes
12-31-2001, 01:18 AM

Aaron Rowand is not the best Centerfielder on the sox. Whats next you say Harold Baines is the best DH we have? I would lean toward Julio Ramierez as the best lead off man.

NOT!

nut_stock
12-31-2001, 01:18 AM
Nobody can take the title of "The greatest Has-Been still on the Bench" from Harold!

CLR01
12-31-2001, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I would lean toward Julio Ramierez as the best lead off man.

NOT!

And royce is the best number 3 hitter n the team.

RedPinStripes
12-31-2001, 01:29 AM

And royce is the best number 3 hitter n the team.

:ray
"I want to bat 3rd. I'm a power hitter you know."

Bmr31
12-31-2001, 01:36 AM

Are you seriously this stupid?

WinningUgly!
12-31-2001, 10:28 AM

What? George Carlin tells jokes about you as well? :D: Guess you're just an easy target! He has trouble tolerating stupid people too!

WinningUgly!
12-31-2001, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31

Are you seriously this stupid?

At first I thought he was just trolling. Then I wasn't sure if he was just playing dumb or not. Now I'm pretty sure he's not playing.

JoeBatters
12-31-2001, 02:20 PM
Aaron Rowand can out run him .
He can out catch him .
He can out hit him .
He can out steal him .
Shall i go on ?

Singleton and Royce are the Rally Killers of the MLB !

The future does not belong to Singleton !
How certian posters say he's HOF material has forced me to have grave concern for the mental health of some of you !

http://www.prozac.com/images/p_weekly_logo_main.gif

bjmarte
12-31-2001, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by WASP

I hate to duplicate a post but the term I am advocating from now on is anti-clutch, especially when referring to Singleton.

(see this thread for reference http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6503)

"The Anti-Clutch"

Iguana775
12-31-2001, 02:42 PM
this has got be one of the funniest threads....

i cant believe someone can be so dumb. :gulp: :gulp:

CLR01
12-31-2001, 02:51 PM
He can out catch him .
He can out hit him .
He can out steal him .
Shall i go on ?

How certian posters say he's HOF material has forced me to have grave concern for the mental health of some of you !

Rowand can not out run singleton, if he could he would not have had to run head first into the wall twice, Singleton gets to those balls and gets undewr them, he also can no out catch him, singleton is superior to Rowand defensively.

CLR01
12-31-2001, 02:53 PM
He can out catch him .
He can out hit him .
He can out steal him .
Shall i go on ?

Oh and if you actually believe i mean it when i say he is HOF material i hink you really need to worry about your own mental health before you start worrying about anyone elses.

RedPinStripes
12-31-2001, 02:54 PM

Rowand can not out run singleton, if he could he would not have had to run head first into the wall twice, Singleton gets to those balls and gets undewr them, he also can no out catch him, singleton is superior to Rowand defensively.

Wrong sir............

Singleton plays those off the wall and lets them have a double.

bjmarte
12-31-2001, 02:57 PM

I don't know if it is a matter of speed. I will admit that Anti-Clutch does do a good job of reading the ball off of the bat which gives him the additional time to get to where the ball is. I would still play Rowand. How about if we create a new position, "Designated Fielder"

CLR01
12-31-2001, 02:58 PM

Wrong sir............

Singleton plays those off the wall and lets them have a double.

Wrong, where those balls were hit singleton can get to them, if he knows he cant get to them them he will play them off the wall. But tell me something, whats the smarter play, letting a ball bounce and giving up a double, or running head frst into a wall and risking giving up a triple or a inside the parker?

RedPinStripes
12-31-2001, 03:05 PM

Wrong, where those balls were hit singleton can get to them, if he knows he cant get to them them he will play them off the wall. But tell me something, whats the smarter play, letting a ball bounce and giving up a double, or running head frst into a wall and risking giving up a triple or a inside the parker?

Well he caught them 2 didn't he? Lenny Dyksta did the same thing all the time. Played aggressive. If he crashes into the wall and catches it, I don't care how many times he does it. Dyksta's carrer was ended from a car accident, not from being an exciting, agressive player I also recall a few times wher rowand cut off maggs and saved a triple while maggs trotts after the ball. Rowand is not proven, but I like him so far.He puts everything into the game and we'll see how much he can give if he starts next year.

CLR01
12-31-2001, 03:07 PM

Well he caught them 2 didn't he? Lenny Dyksta did the same thing all the time. Played aggressive. If he crashes into the wall and catches it, I don't care how many times he does it. Dyksta's carrer was ended from a car accident, not from being an exciting, agressive player I also recall a few times wher rowand cut off maggs and saved a triple while maggs trotts after the ball. Rowand is not proven, but I like him so far.He puts everything into the game and we'll see how much he can give if he starts next year.

I see you side stepped the question.

RedPinStripes
12-31-2001, 03:12 PM

You side step every negative question about singleton. I understand you are a huge fan of his, but understand reality. He's not in the future plans.

bjmarte
12-31-2001, 03:13 PM

Well IMO the answer to your question depends entirely on whether or not the ball is caught or we give up a triple.

JoeBatters
12-31-2001, 04:12 PM

Oh and if you actually believe i mean it when i say he is HOF material i hink you really need to worry about your own mental health before you start worrying about anyone elses.

Maybe i did make a mis-diagnosis how about of few of these !

http://www.streetdrugs.org/images/ECSTASY.gif

No you said it so what else was i to belive ?

bjmarte
12-31-2001, 04:15 PM

No you said it so what else was i to belive ?

Should've used teal :smile:

bc2k
01-01-2002, 02:22 AM
WinningUgly I'm not going to tell you again, put down the george carlin tape. PUT IT DOWN MAN, PUT IT DOWN!

Wasp thank you for realizing Rowand is more of a baseball player than singleton. And to answer your last post, please do go on...

bc2k
01-01-2002, 02:29 AM
Sidestepped the question? When Rowand catches those balls and saves runs, that answers the question. Your asking what if questions. What if Rowand dropped it? Well he didn't, he just saved the team 2 runs. What if Rowand played that ball off the wall and allow two runs to trot home? Well then his jersey would say Singleton.

Daver
01-01-2002, 02:49 AM
Sidestepped the question? When Rowand catches those balls and saves runs, that answers the question. Your asking what if questions. What if Rowand dropped it? Well he didn't, he just saved the team 2 runs. What if Rowand played that ball off the wall and allow two runs to trot home? Well then his jersey would say Singleton.

:troll

RedPinStripes
01-01-2002, 05:01 AM

Ok, I'm starting to forgive bc2k here. Good point!

CLR01
01-01-2002, 05:42 AM

Ok, I'm starting to forgive bc2k here. Good point!

BS, the question has not been answered, if you think Rowand will make that catch everytime he tys it then you are a fool, if you think he can do it more than 50% of the time you are still a fool, in reality he will probably only hold on to the ball 20-30 % of the time. No only do you risk the triple/homer, you risk injury, i believe he had to sit out a number of games after that last one do to shoulder soreness. If you cant make a clean catch the smart play is playing it off the bounce and setting yourself for a strong trow to the infield to keep the runners from going to far.

CLR01
01-01-2002, 05:47 AM
You like my profile bc2k?? I'll almost positiveyou havent seen Rowand leaping over any walls to rob a home run ball. Singleton cant cover the ground rowand can my ass.

guillen4life13
01-01-2002, 01:40 PM
To be honest, I never understood why the Sox wanted to let go of Singleton. He's a career (i'm guessing) .285 hitter, which isn't bad, and if you take out 2000, he's about .300. He's only a three year veteran, and he's still young (although he is a year older than Magglio Ordonez). Honestly, why don't the Sox have Singleton lead off instead of Durham? Singleton doesn't care about power, and that's more than Ray Ray can say for himself. If he can correct his jumps, I believe he's as 40+ base stealer, and he might even pass 60 in a really good year, but who knows? He's solid defensively, and is probably the best defensive outfielder the Sox have as of now on their major league roster (if only Julio Ramirez knew how to make contact with the ball, at least). Hand the starting job to Singleton, at least until Borchard develops, and maybe they should let Borchard start the '03 season, and give him at least a chance to take the Rookie of the Year award that year. If Singleton flops in '02, then put Rowand in. Rowand can be the number 4 in '02, and if Borchard is ready for '03, why not trade Rowand, or if Lee flops in '02, trade him? Then Rowand would take left field, and simmons or whoever would be the number 4.

"But then again, what the hell do I know?" (c)

PaleHoseGeorge
01-01-2002, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
To be honest, I never understood why the Sox wanted to let go of Singleton.... why don't the Sox have Singleton lead off instead of Durham?

A couple of points.

1.) Being an effective lead-off man is all about getting on base. Singleton has weaker numbers for OBP, SLG, and SB's compared to Durham. His BA is only marginally better, .283 vs. .276. Using Singleton as lead-off man would be a major downgrade for the Sox.

2.) With the exception of whining about playing time last summer (Hey, who wasn't?), Singleton appears to be model citizen in the clubhouse. Unfortunately, he is also the union's player rep. Those guys tend to be dealt more than players who aren't.

I had less problem with Singleton playing CF than I did with Manuel fielding three weak hitters at the bottom of the order. The Sox need to get stronger at catcher, shortstop, and center field--in that order. Of those three positions, Singleton's is relatively the strongest.

Just my two cents.

WinningUgly!
01-01-2002, 03:09 PM
WinningUgly I'm not going to tell you again, put down the george carlin tape. PUT IT DOWN MAN, PUT IT DOWN!

Dude, you're the one that should be putting something down.

Daver
01-01-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

LMAO!!!

CLR01
01-01-2002, 05:56 PM

LOL, is there anything the smiley doesnt do?

WinningUgly!
01-01-2002, 06:06 PM

LOL, is there anything the smiley doesnt do?
Nope!

Daver
01-01-2002, 06:10 PM

Nope!

Let's see it nail a deer with an arrow.

RedPinStripes
01-01-2002, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by daver

Let's see it nail a deer with an arrow.

No smiles about this, But it's a suitable sig for daver.

CubKilla
01-02-2002, 11:09 AM
All I have to say to the person who made this statement is this: I will be as nice as I can..... What was the going rate for a crack rock when you stated this? Everyone before my post hit on every reason why Chris Singleton is a mediocre at best CF. I would really have loved to see Erstad and Singleton switch uniforms, but alas, as a Sox fan, I have grown to accept disappointment.

nut_stock
01-02-2002, 11:37 AM
Well, Regaurdless of whether we like Singleton or not, I want someone to help him on the bases. Gary Pettis better show something this year or his ass will be gone (assuming he's not kissing JR's ass every Friday).
Chris showed major imrovement at the end of last year with with bunting. So if he can know learn how to steal a damn base, I'd be satisfied. His OBP is obviosly his weakest stat, and plate dicipline is the hardest to teach, but (as I continue with my run on sentence) like someone stated earlier, he's still young. I'd be willing to see if he makes more strides this year. WERE GONNA SCORE RUNS PEOPLE!

FarmerAndy
01-02-2002, 01:30 PM
I think people are pretty tough on Singleton. He can track fly balls off the bat better than any outfielder on this team. Rowand is good, but Singleton is better on defense. I like that Rowand plays hard, but crashing into the wall a couple of times doesn't make you a superior outfielder. Remember the game in '99 when Brian Simmons made two AMAZING catches while crashing into the wall? Those were way more spectacular, but I don't see anybody advocating Brian Simmons for the job now that he's healthy. With Mags in right and Lee in left, it's important to have somebody between them who can track a ball. Singleton is the best choice.

Our offense is going to be fine.