PDA

View Full Version : Sox free-agent signing...

DrCrawdad
01-07-2006, 11:06 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2004/10/16/2ypjbucK.jpg
CHAD BENTZ

The White Sox should have at least four lefties in camp competing for the last spot in their bullpen. Chad Bentz, who has big-league experience, signed a minor-league contract and will compete with internal options Arnie Munoz, Paulino Reynoso and Corwin Malone. …

Banix12
01-07-2006, 11:07 PM
Per Phil Rogers, sox sign lefty Chad Bentz to a minor league contract.

The White Sox should have at least four lefties in camp competing for the last spot in their bullpen. Chad Bentz, who has big-league experience, signed a minor-league contract and will compete with internal options Arnie Munoz, Paulino Reynoso and Corwin Malone.

Link to article (at bottom) (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-060107rogerscubs,1,4589044.column?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Chad Bentz's stats (http://forecaster.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/chicagosports-cubs/baseball/player.cgi?4379)

Pitched in the Majors the last two years with Montreal and Florida with minimal success. He basically looks like AAA roster filler but he'll be at spring training.

KRS1
01-07-2006, 11:18 PM
Chad is a great story, like Jim Abbott he was born without a complete right hand. This is from an article on BA about him,
"He relies heavily upon his 91-93 mph fastball and his curveball can be an out pitch, though he struggled with it in the majors. He's a very aggressive pitcher with a tough demeanor, but he needs to tighten his breaking ball and work on his slider. "

DrCrawdad
01-07-2006, 11:23 PM
Chad is a great story, like Jim Abbott he was born without a complete right hand.

Interesting. This photo kind of shows it.

http://www.goldpanners.com/abl/Anchorage_Glacier_Pilots/725465.jpg

KRS1
01-07-2006, 11:32 PM
Interesting. This photo kind of shows it.

http://www.goldpanners.com/abl/Anchorage_Glacier_Pilots/725465.jpg

The BA article I'm reading talks about his pitbull mentality, and how he really fears no hitter or situation. He even said he encourages hitters to bunt on him, as far as he remembers the to only two to attempt so were Pierre and Furcal and he putout both. It seems like he didnt have much success in his first stints, mostly because of his breaking pitches, but from what we know about Coop he'll teach Chad to pitch off his fastball and knockout batters with his curve.

KRS1
01-07-2006, 11:34 PM
***!?!?!?

Seriously not cool guy, one of my friends growing up had the same problem and he was the best athlete I knew.

Banix12
01-07-2006, 11:37 PM
Chad is a great story, like Jim Abbott he was born without a complete right hand. This is from an article on BA about him,
"He relies heavily upon his 91-93 mph fastball and his curveball can be an out pitch, though he struggled with it in the majors. He's a very aggressive pitcher with a tough demeanor, but he needs to tighten his breaking ball and work on his slider. "

I was wondering if this was that guy. I saw him pitch a in a game when he was with Montreal. His stuff looked decent enough at the time. Hopefully the sox pitching coaches can help him out.

buehrle4cy05
01-07-2006, 11:40 PM
Here's hoping Bentz makes the team. I liked him when he was with Montreal, you really have to respect his determination and desire. Great story, even better if he makes the team as our #2 lefty out of the pen.

santo=dorf
01-08-2006, 12:44 AM
Seriously not cool guy, one of my friends growing up had the same problem and he was the best athlete I knew.

He's probably too young to remember Jim Abbott.

I was wondering what ever happened to this guy.

LuvSox
01-08-2006, 12:51 AM
***!?!?!?

***?

He has a problem with his right hand, so what?

(Maybe his daddy never bought him season tickets, that makes him a freak.)

Banix12
01-08-2006, 01:08 AM
I remember watching a Jim Abbott at bat against the Cubs. He singled up the middle. I thought only against the Cubs pitching could a one-handed batter get a hit.

Bentz has a single against the Pirates. So he can hit too.

KRS1
01-08-2006, 01:39 AM
So......................... To get back to the grown up talk, does this move indicate that KW is definitely going to go into ST with a battle royale for the LOOGY role? I find it hard he wont make a move for this area of our team when he has worked so hard to iron out all of our weak spots via trade, just to leave this spot up to unprovens.

I'm still holding out hope that Kenny can get a deal done to get Hector Mercado in our camp soon.

LuvSox
01-08-2006, 01:46 AM
So......................... To get back to the grown up talk, does this move indicate that KW is definitely going to go into ST with a battle royale for the LOOGY role? I find it hard he wont make a move for this area of our team when he has worked so hard to iron out all of our weak spots via trade, just to leave this spot up to unprovens.

Is there anyone available for that role? Maybe the best answer is within.

Exit_Only
01-08-2006, 01:47 AM
The BA article I'm reading talks about his pitbull mentality, and how he really fears no hitter or situation. He even said he encourages hitters to bunt on him, as far as he remembers the to only two to attempt so were Pierre and Furcal and he putout both. It seems like he didnt have much success in his first stints, mostly because of his breaking pitches, but from what we know about Coop he'll teach Chad to pitch off his fastball and knockout batters with his curve.

I've never seen Chad Bentz pitch, so this may be a bad comparison, but this post reminds me of Rocky Biddle. I was sad to see Rock go and remember him best for his ability to shut hitters down with men on base. Rock has that same moxy that El Duque has. I like that in a pitcher and hope Bentz can bring that back to the White Sox.

Banix12
01-08-2006, 01:50 AM

I think ideally Kenny would like to get a solid lefthanded reliever before spring training but realistically what is available right now? The Free Agent list doesn't contain any top tier lefty relievers and most teams right now that have one aren't really willing to trade them.

I'd have to look through the rosters to see what is potentially available but if you look at all the lefty relievers who have been traded all have their share of negatives and none are what I would call lights out, top tier relievers. I'm talking Marte, Rincon, Ray King, Ron Villone, etc. Also many of these guys were dubbed "problems" or are coming off bad seasons.

And because they are so rare right now the cost of a top tier lefty reliever would be so high it probably wouldn't be worth it. Kenny would investigate any deal I imagine but I think it would be difficult to find a match. In the meantime it doesn't hurt to invite a bunch of lefties and see if you can find another Damaso Marte in the rough.

JUribe1989
01-08-2006, 03:06 AM
I think he has a good chance to make the team. It seems like the pitch selection he has has had more success at some points in the majors than Bajenaru. I don't believe Tracey is even close to ready for the majors either. I hope he makes the team.

dlee120
01-08-2006, 03:21 AM
I like the idea of four guys competing for one spot on the team. I'd rather this than overpay some mediocre free agent reliever. I also would prefer someone with Bentz's pitching attitude (attack the hitters and make them beat you).

dickallen15
01-08-2006, 06:27 AM
He will have to show a lot more than he has to make the roster of the World Champions. He has been brutal thus far in his career.

rocky biddle
01-08-2006, 11:13 AM
I've never seen Chad Bentz pitch, so this may be a bad comparison, but this post reminds me of Rocky Biddle. I was sad to see Rock go and remember him best for his ability to shut hitters down with men on base. Rock has that same moxy that El Duque has. I like that in a pitcher and hope Bentz can bring that back to the White Sox.

I like the cut of your jib.

Banix12
01-08-2006, 11:38 AM
He will have to show a lot more than he has to make the roster of the World Champions. He has been brutal thus far in his career.

He showed flashes of success in 2004 as a rookie with Montreal. His numbers are huge that year because the Atlanta Braves absolutely pounded him.

2004 vs Atlanta
8.2 innings pitched, 7 hits, 11 walks, 4 K, 10 ER, 3 HR, ERA 11.74, WHIP 2.08

2004 vs rest of opposition
20 innings pitched, 16 hits, 12 walks, 14 K, 8 ER, 2 HR, ERA 3.60, WHIP 1.40

Certainly he needs work, it seems particularly with control, but there is talent there. Hopefully Cooper and the minor league pitching coaches can help him out.

RallyBowl
01-08-2006, 12:52 PM
I think Coop will make this guy better. Truthfully, I've never even heard of this dude, but I trust in Kenny. This could end up being similar to the deal that brought Dustin here. Most didn't think much of it, but look at how important he was to our success last year.

Good move KW.

kwkonsl
01-08-2006, 02:21 PM
I think Coop will make this guy better. Truthfully, I've never even heard of this dude, but I trust in Kenny. This could end up being similar to the deal that brought Dustin here. Most didn't think much of it, but look at how important he was to our success last year.

Good move KW.

I agreee this is a good sign for KW. I think once Coop works with him at ST they will see that he does have some upside and I feel that he will be able to come in and get 1-2 outs every other night. That will be his role. I dont see Kenny making a move because I dont think he wants to lose any more prospects or any one on the 40 man roster. It would take at least 2 prospects to get a proven lefty in a trade.

caulfield12
01-08-2006, 02:38 PM
I agreee this is a good sign for KW. I think once Coop works with him at ST they will see that he does have some upside and I feel that he will be able to come in and get 1-2 outs every other night. That will be his role. I dont see Kenny making a move because I dont think he wants to lose any more prospects or any one on the 40 man roster. It would take at least 2 prospects to get a proven lefty in a trade.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=5934

Link to ESPN player card

It sounds like he has a live arm, but we heard that about Alan Embree, Jon Adkins and Onan Masaoka, lol. Control is definitely an issue.

I´m still not sure any of these guys will make the team. As currently constituted, McCarthy definitely has Vizcaino´s spot, but there is no guarantee it HAS to be a lefty if none of those internal guys perform.

I´m also not sold on Bajenaru, so we will just have to wait and see. There´s also a pretty solid possibility we could end up trying to salvage someone who gets released in ST by another team.

Considering this is the last spot on the roster, I am not going to be too fixated on this ¨problem¨ for now. These things always tend to sort themselves out in the end.

NonetheLoaiza
01-08-2006, 02:57 PM

Good move KW.

I think pretty much everyone would agree that it is worth a try, because Coop could possibly make this guy better. I remember seeing him pitch for Montreal, and wishing he would have alot of success because Jim Abbott was one of my favorite players growing up. Plus he had a kick ass role on Boy Meets World one time.

I'm going to believe that Coop can hopefully make him a better pitcher, and if not make the team this year, hook on somewhere where he can be successful. It's worth it to put him into competition with others though, definitely.

TDog
01-08-2006, 03:31 PM

It's interesting you should draw that comparison. He and Rocky where teammates at Montreal and both went to Long Beach State. Rocky, at the time Bentz came up, was the Expos closer. When Bentz made his major league debut, Rocky got the entire team to sign a the program from the game to him as a souvenir. Both Biddle and Bentz are good people, as well as being dedicated athletes who have worked through adversity.

Bentz went to high school in Juneau, Alaska, so he has played a lot of baseball in the rain.

As I recall the White Sox were interested in Bentz last offseason, but Florida offered a better deal. Picking him up now could be a big move. When it comes to the bullpen, often the highly touted relievers you trade for (i.e. Rick White) cause you more headaches than the unproven pitchers you pick up quietly or have developing in your system.

I wish Chad luck.

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-08-2006, 03:54 PM
I like this deal. It gives the Sox more opportunities for the bullpen. This guy isn't any better or worse than Munoz, but I think Don Cooper can turn him around.

RallyBowl
01-08-2006, 03:56 PM
Plus he had a kick ass role on Boy Meets World one time.

Yeah, I think I remember that. That show rules.

Rgilliam32
01-08-2006, 10:59 PM
http://www.meganandjack.com/mt/archives/Bentz.jpg

Not being a jerk at all, as a girl I went to school with had the same Condition... I'm sure he has to be a defensive liability... anyone know?

NonetheLoaiza
01-08-2006, 11:20 PM
IIRC, Jim Abbott was a fine defensive pitcher. I thought that I heard Bentz wasn't that bad either. Don't know for sure though.

KRS1
01-08-2006, 11:21 PM
http://www.meganandjack.com/mt/archives/Bentz.jpg

Not being a jerk at all, as a girl I went to school with had the same Condition... I'm sure he has to be a defensive liability... anyone know?

Read post #5 in this thread. Again he says he challenges anyone to bunt on him, something a bunch of guys with two hands wont do. That is saying something about his D, but I have never seen him pitch and react to a hit up the middle so I really dont know but he doesnt have a single errors to his name in the bigs (5 PO, 5 A).