PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle wont play for WBC

Whitesox4ever
01-07-2006, 12:38 PM
He said on WSCR a few mins ago that he turn down the chance to play for the USA

sox1970
01-07-2006, 12:39 PM
Buehrle just said on White Sox Weekly on the score. Told Buck Martinez two weeks ago he's concentrating on getting ready for the season. Good to hear. I hope the WBC fails miserably.

SOXintheBURGH
01-07-2006, 12:39 PM
Thank god.

No Buehrle, no Tadahito.. who else is slated still? Garcia and Vazquez?

Whitesox4ever
01-07-2006, 12:40 PM
This is such awesome news today..

Im hoping Garcia and Vazquez turn down the offer as well

itsnotrequired
01-07-2006, 12:44 PM
Nice news.:D:

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-07-2006, 12:48 PM
Ahh, great news and it's not even a Wednesday! :D:

ilsox7
01-07-2006, 12:55 PM
Thank god.

No Buehrle, no Tadahito.. who else is slated still? Garcia and Vazquez?

Nice. I missed the news that Tad turned it down, but hopefully everyone starts pulling out and Unclue Bud looks like the idiot that he is.

monkeypants
01-07-2006, 01:18 PM
Did Buehrle mention how his arm was feeling? The last we saw of him during the World Series he did say that his arm was hurting a little. I'm just hoping this decision was made because of his desire to get ready for the upcoming season as I expect and not because of the lasting effects of an extended workload from last season.
But this is very good news.

BainesHOF
01-07-2006, 01:19 PM
Everyone's arm is hurting by the end of the season. Hopefully with Buehrle it was just regular wear and tear.

LuvSox
01-07-2006, 01:20 PM

He's playing for Missouri instead. :D:

1951Campbell
01-07-2006, 01:25 PM
:bandance:

soxfan43
01-07-2006, 01:32 PM
If they don't let Cuba in, no one is going be playing in this thing. That being said, I'm a big hockey fan and I have always loved the World Cups or Olympics for hockey, so maybe this will be good as well.

SOXSINCE'70
01-07-2006, 02:13 PM
He's playing for Missouri instead. :D:

:tealpolice:
"1 Adam-12,1 Adam-12,a possible violation.See the man.":D:

Brian26
01-07-2006, 02:18 PM
Terrific news as far as I'm concerned. Buehrle pitched 236 innings during the regular season, plus 7 against the Carmines, 9 against the Angels, 7 against the Astros plus an inning of relief. Not counting spring training, he was at 260 IP's last year. That's enough to warrant a nice vacation.

kevin57
01-07-2006, 02:33 PM
:worship: :burly

I think that Freddy will be playing. He stated his intentions right after the WS.

batmanZoSo
01-07-2006, 03:00 PM
Good decision. Frankly, I think the whole thing's stupid. Baseball will never be popular globally, so quit trying.

SoxSpeed22
01-07-2006, 03:01 PM
It seems like a good idea, they're just trying to put it together too quickly. Knowing Selig, he'll have it figured out by next year.

bludupree
01-07-2006, 04:25 PM
"1 Adam-12,1 Adam-12,a possible violation.See the man.":D:

Teal is for people who aren't able to understand sarcasm. I realize that sometimes people are serious when saying ridiculous things, which makes it hard to determine when people are being sarcastic, but something as obvious as this does not require teal.

Fuller_Schettman
01-07-2006, 04:32 PM
Amen brother!

WE ARE THE ANTI-TEAL!

Hey, that is the first time I ever used that. Ew! I need a shower...

SOXintheBURGH
01-07-2006, 04:34 PM
Amen brother!

WE ARE THE ANTI-TEAL!

Hey, that is the first time I ever used that. Ew! I need a shower...

The entire Teal Police Squad needs to turn in their badges. It's old.

LuvSox
01-07-2006, 04:47 PM

They seem more like Civil Defense or rent-a-cops :D:

Dolly
01-07-2006, 05:24 PM
Teal is for people who aren't able to understand sarcasm. I realize that sometimes people are serious when saying ridiculous things, which makes it hard to determine when people are being sarcastic, but something as obvious as this does not require teal.Wait... so, you mean Buehrle really ISN'T going to play for the great country of Missouri?

Uh-oh, do I hear sirens?:tongue:

SOXSINCE'70
01-07-2006, 05:25 PM
Teal is for people who aren't able to understand sarcasm. I realize that sometimes people are serious when saying ridiculous things, which makes it hard to determine when people are being sarcastic, but something as obvious as this does not require teal.

My mistake.In the words of the late Don Adams on
"Get Smart", "Sorry about that,Chief".:D:

FarWestChicago
01-07-2006, 05:51 PM
The entire Teal Police Squad needs to turn in their badges. It's old.Not as old as this. :rolleyes:

StockdaleForVeep
01-07-2006, 05:58 PM
We should cancel spring training till mid march, then we can be SURE no one gets hurt on our team!

Corlose 15
01-07-2006, 06:29 PM
I don't think Buehrle would've pitched even if he was on the team, I think more marquee name guys like Clemens, Willis, Zito, etc would have been chosen to start over him.

That said, I hope that this does well, baseball has been booted out of the olympics and hopefully something like this drums up support to get it put back in.

CanBuehrleWait
01-07-2006, 06:53 PM

Sounds serious. Maybe we should call in the Teal Marines. :o:

soxjim
01-07-2006, 07:53 PM
Good news. Hope other SOX players follow his lead.

StockdaleForVeep
01-08-2006, 02:47 AM
I don't think Buehrle would've pitched even if he was on the team, I think more marquee name guys like Clemens, Willis, Zito, etc would have been chosen to start over him.

That said, I hope that this does well, baseball has been booted out of the olympics and hopefully something like this drums up support to get it put back in.

A world series win and save in consecutive games doesnt make you a marquee name?

DaleJRFan
01-08-2006, 06:11 AM
Not as old as this. :rolleyes:

:tealtutor:

:redneck :redneck :redneck

CleeFan101
01-08-2006, 07:06 AM
I think the whole thing is dumb really... Ill watch it just because basketball sucks and I love baseball but still..... I guess I should complain though because the more baseball the better.

Theanticub
01-08-2006, 07:39 AM

Good. Now Convience the other two starting pitchers to back out and I would be completely happy about this WBC stuff.

The Racehorse
01-08-2006, 07:49 AM
Good. Now convince the other two starting pitchers to back out and I would be completely happy about this WBC stuff.

:yup:

spiffie
01-08-2006, 11:41 AM
So, do we still need to keep a six-person staff if the WBC ends up being canceled, since I've sure seen the WBC brought up a lot when people said why we needed to keep 6 pitchers. Should there now be less urgency about having 6 or more starting pitchers?

harwar
01-08-2006, 11:59 AM
I think the whole thing is dumb really... Ill watch it just because basketball sucks and I love baseball but still..... I guess I should complain though because the more baseball the better.

Yea,i was watching "espn desportes' yesterday and it hit me like a ton of bricks how much i miss baseball during the winter.

gobears1987
01-08-2006, 05:05 PM
Yea,i was watching "espn desportes' yesterday and it hit me like a ton of bricks how much i miss baseball during the winter.I'm looking forward to the WBC under 1 condition, no Sox are in it to get hurt. Given how baseball got the snub from the EU crowd on the IOC, we need this IMO. I don't like Selig, but I do like this.

chisox77
01-08-2006, 08:43 PM
This is excellent news.

:D:

IronFisk
01-09-2006, 02:08 AM
Good. Now Convience the other two starting pitchers to back out and I would be completely happy about this WBC stuff.

No doubt - play the freakin' AAA'ers. They'd put up a good fight.

MsSoxVixen22
01-09-2006, 09:32 AM
Good to hear Mark is gonna save his arm! :bandance:

manders_01
01-09-2006, 10:20 AM
YEA! I was thinking of cancelling my plans to go to ST cause I wanted to see Mark in action! Plans on! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Lip Man 1
01-09-2006, 01:26 PM
From Ron Rapoport's column on Monday in the Sun-Times:

So let's see here. Hideki Matsui and Tadahito Iguchi aren't going to play for Japan, Mark Buehrle isn't going to play for the United States, Mariano Rivera isn't going to play for Panama, Alex Rodriguez isn't going to play for the Dominican Republic and nobody is going to play for Cuba. This World Baseball Classic isn't exactly catching on the way Bud Selig hoped, is it?

Lip

DaleJRFan
01-09-2006, 01:41 PM
I'm a leftie with a 68mph fastball, maybe they'll want me? :D: I'm sure WSI could fill out a roster to compete in the WBC... they might need us with all the drop outs.

mccoydp
01-09-2006, 02:18 PM

Amen, brutha.

hawkjt
01-10-2006, 03:01 PM
Coop said in an interview today that Freddie may get death threats if he chooses to back out. Those Venzualains really love their baseball. Said there was no chance freddie or Javiar would back out.

Ol' No. 2
01-10-2006, 03:24 PM
From Ron Rapoport's column on Monday in the Sun-Times:

So let's see here. Hideki Matsui and Tadahito Iguchi aren't going to play for Japan, Mark Buehrle isn't going to play for the United States, Mariano Rivera isn't going to play for Panama, Alex Rodriguez isn't going to play for the Dominican Republic and nobody is going to play for Cuba. This World Baseball Classic isn't exactly catching on the way Bud Selig hoped, is it?

LipWhat are you talking about? On MLB.com it says "Excitement is building." Don't you feel it building?

ondafarm
01-10-2006, 05:23 PM
Just curious:

Are people against the notion of a world championship for baseball, seperate from the Olympics and such or just against the White Sox participation in it?

What if this was done in mid-July and each MLB team was asked to contribute 3-4 high minor leaguers for an extended period to it (as in, Spring training until July.)

Lip Man 1
01-10-2006, 05:33 PM
On:

My objections are the following:

1. Altered rules
2. Bogus nationality requirements
3. Disruption of spring training
4. All teams aren't being effected (missing players)
5. Injury risk
6. The 'best' players are NOT playing much like the All Star farce

If you want to use minor leaguers then go right ahead but there is no reason to risk major league players in something that is meaningless and does nothing but line the pockets of owners and Selig.

If you must use major league players do it in November when they are still in relative shape. You can do this instead of those goofy USA-Japan exhibitions.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
01-10-2006, 05:36 PM
Just curious:

Are people against the notion of a world championship for baseball, seperate from the Olympics and such or just against the White Sox participation in it?

What if this was done in mid-July and each MLB team was asked to contribute 3-4 high minor leaguers for an extended period to it (as in, Spring training until July.)There's already one baseball World Cup, sanctioned by the IBAF. Can someone explain why we need another one? :dunno:

And yes, the timing is bad. But another tournament filled by minor leaguers would probably generate a collective yawn even louder than the one this one is likely to get. I'm not particularly hostile to the idea. I just think it's a lot like the ridiculously contrived "international" angle they tried to force-fit onto the HR derby last summer. Andruw Jones playing for The Netherlands??:?: I thought it was lame.