PDA

View Full Version : Past Sox Commercials

Viva Medias B's
01-07-2006, 08:31 AM
In relation to the thread about past Sox marketing campaigns, I'll start this spinoff thread about Sox television commercials. I think one of my favorites came out in 1993, during the "Good Guys Wear Black campaign. After Mike Ditka was fired by the Bears, he did a Sox commercial in which Da Coach is at a job interview with Jerry Reinsdorf. Another series of commercials I recall is one that featured individual Sox players. One had Ozzie and some old lady dancing, a takeoff on "Ozzie and Harriet." Another one had Joey Cora dressed up as a jockey. And, for reasons I cannot recall, one had Jason Bere wearing a bunch of hats.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-07-2006, 09:18 AM
My favorite commercial had to be the one featuring Royce Clayton, Carlos Lee, and Sandy Alomar(If I remember correctly)doing the fireworks sound. The thought of the commercial including Royce Clayton made me laugh.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-07-2006, 09:32 AM
The early-90's Sox commercial that showed an X-ray of Bo Jackson's surgically repaired bionic hip, featuring a quacking rubber duck. That one transcended baseball. It's one of the funniest commercials of all-time, baseball or otherwise.

:smile:

BeviBall!
01-07-2006, 09:57 AM
Julio Franco singing "to all the balls I hit before. The RBIs, the sacrifice..."

downstairs
01-07-2006, 10:45 AM
And, for reasons I cannot recall, one had Jason Bere wearing a bunch of hats.

Yep.... the reason being Bere as in "Beret", the hat...

VenturaSoxFan23
01-07-2006, 11:39 AM
The early-90's Sox commercial that showed an X-ray of Bo Jackson's surgically repaired bionic hip, featuring a quacking rubber duck. That one transcended baseball. It's one of the funniest commercials of all-time, baseball or otherwise.

:smile:

The Bo Jackson "Hip" Season Ticket Plan. I loved it!

I did enjoy the Chubby Checker "Let's Do It Again!" commercial for the 1984 Sox, with all the highlights from the '83 team.

TDog
01-07-2006, 12:17 PM
I don't remember that many advertising campaigns because there weren't many years when I could see them. I did like the 1993 series, featuring celebrity Sox fans. I didn't watch enough to recognize all the celebrities.

In 1994, the only year Julio Franco was on the team, there was a series of ads featuring individual players. Alex Fernandez painted a K a a "K artist." There were spots with Robin "Ventura Highway" and "Captain Kirk" McKaskill. They also ran a spot with Craig Grebeck as "The Little Hurt."

VenturaSoxFan23
01-07-2006, 12:39 PM
I remember they played those on the big screen at the games.

Lip Man 1
01-07-2006, 12:42 PM
The 'I'll Be There' campaign in 1990 centering around the final game at Comiskey Park. People like Michael Jordan, Kup, Bozo and Ray Meyer were all featured saying 'I'll be there' while wearing a Sox hat.

Lip

chisoxmike
01-07-2006, 01:11 PM
For your viewing enjoyment....

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/fan_forum/come_ready.jsp (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/fan_forum/come_ready.jsp)

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/fan_forum/commercials04.jsp (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/fan_forum/commercials04.jsp)

SOXSINCE'70
01-07-2006, 01:20 PM
Julio Franco singing "to all the balls I hit before. The RBIs, the sacrifice..."
Agreed.
And just how old is Julio Franco??
"Older than dirt" doesn't count.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-07-2006, 02:08 PM

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/fan_forum/come_ready.jsp (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/fan_forum/come_ready.jsp)

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/fan_forum/commercials04.jsp (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/fan_forum/commercials04.jsp)
I went to the first link earlier today hoping to watch the fireworks one and it no longer works. :(:

LuvSox
01-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Thank you everyone for bringing back those memories from the early 1990's!
The Bo Jackson commercial was my favorite, which actually is shown during his ESPN SportsCentury bio.

Dolly
01-07-2006, 04:26 PM
I remember one from around 83 with Tom Paciorek wearing those fake glasses, nose, and mustache. I don't even rememebr what he said, but I do remember that he looked like he was trying hard not to laugh.

TheDarkGundam
01-07-2006, 04:30 PM
Hmmm...Remember that one commercial, where they compared the Sox to that other team? I don't remember what team it was exactly but I do remember that
THEY: Have a fan who says "woo"
WE: Don't

Dolly
01-07-2006, 04:32 PM
Hmmm...Remember that one commercial, where they compared the Sox to that other team? I don't remember what team it was exactly but I do remember that
WE: Don'tYeah, that was good stuff.... and the last line was, "Oh-- and the Mayor likes US better!"

Dan H
01-07-2006, 04:45 PM
I am going to date myself, but my favorite commercials aired in the early '70's and they featured two cowboys named Gabe and Walker. I don't know what they did marketing wise, but they were the greatest. The commercials were for Falstaff, and I will never forget them.

soxinem1
01-07-2006, 06:26 PM
The 'I'll Be There' campaign in 1990 centering around the final game at Comiskey Park. People like Michael Jordan, Kup, Bozo and Ray Meyer were all featured saying 'I'll be there' while wearing a Sox hat.

Lip

Yes, coming from a guy who attended every game that year, I thank you for rekindling a great memory.

RadioheadRocks
01-07-2006, 07:15 PM
I am going to date myself, but my favorite commercials aired in the early '70's and they featured two cowboys named Gabe and Walker. I don't know what they did marketing wise, but they were the greatest. The commercials were for Falstaff, and I will never forget them.

I vaguely remember those Gabe and Walker Falstaff commercials. How about the commercial Harry Caray did with "Holy Cow" (a guy in a cow costume who answered a White Sox trivia question but somehow couldn't come up with "Falstaff" as the answer to his other trivia question).

My favorite though is one I talked about in a previous post. It was for the old disco/R&B radio station WBMX. Back in 1979-80 they ran an ad for their station with a gorgeous young woman and tied White Sox clips into the ad. It went something like this...
"If you're looking for hits..." (quick cut of White Sox player getting a base hit) "... we bring 'em to you! BMX FM103, where you're always..." (clip of Sox player stealing a base) "... safe. For when you just want to lay back and listen or when you really want to blow it out!!!" (clip of the exploding scoreboard... my favorite of the bunch!). "Stay with BMX FM103, and check out the White Socks!" (camera zooms in on the bottom of her sock, with WBMX, FM103 stenciled on the sole).

Railsplitter
01-07-2006, 07:15 PM
I liked the whole "If you can't be at the game" series of spots for WMAQ radio. My favorite was the janitor in a posj office helping himself to a cigar and brandy!

RadioheadRocks
01-07-2006, 07:19 PM
Oh and let's not forget the Chevy commercial from 1974, with Pat Kelly (RIP), Bill Melton and Wilbur Wood singing in the showers ("Switch on, there goes another Chevy!").

RealMenWearBlack
01-07-2006, 08:43 PM
WE: Don't
Us vs. Them
I think it was one of Brooks' first commercials.

RadioheadRocks
01-07-2006, 09:15 PM
Some other ones I remember featuring Sox players from the 80s are:

PIZZA HUT: with Richard Dotson and Carlton Fisk (promo featuring White Sox player placemats... I still have a set put away somewhere!)

WHITE SOX PIZZA: Scott Fletcher telling the viewer about all the great gift items they can get when redeeming "points" from the labels of White Sox Pizza.

Wristwatch Day at Comiskey Park: Greg Luzinski... "it takes a bashing and keeps on flashing!"

ChiSoxGirl
01-08-2006, 01:36 AM

Thanks, Mike! Loved seeing those commercials again! :smile:

I watched the one with Frank from the second link that talks about how when he bats, everyone stops... I got chills. The Us vs. Them was also a great one to look back on, but one change needs to be made to it:

They: Haven't won a Championship since 1908
We: Have won one as recently as 1917

EDIT to how it should read: We: Have won one as recently as 2005! :cool: :supernana:

LuvSox
01-08-2006, 01:38 AM
EDIT to how it should read: We: Have won one as recently as 2005! :cool: :supernana:

Sing it sister!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wimpy
01-08-2006, 11:43 AM
Does anybody remember the Line Shot commercials? It has Frank Thomas, and 2 other guys walking down the street in suits in slow motion. I also think this shot was in black and white. They are going to save Robinn Ventura who is tied up to a chair in a factory of some sorts. I want to say Matt Karcner was in it. It may have actually been Karchner tied up to the chair and the hitters were going in to save their closer. This commercial was the first one to pop in my head. Somebody please refresh my memory on this one.

Sox-on-TV44
01-08-2006, 01:18 PM
I vaguely remember those Gabe and Walker Falstaff commercials. How about the commercial Harry Caray did with "Holy Cow" (a guy in a cow costume who answered a White Sox trivia question but somehow couldn't come up with "Falstaff" as the answer to his other trivia question).

My favorite though is one I talked about in a previous post. It was for the old disco/R&B radio station WBMX. Back in 1979-80 they ran an ad for their station with a gorgeous young woman and tied White Sox clips into the ad. It went something like this...
"If you're looking for hits..." (quick cut of White Sox player getting a base hit) "... we bring 'em to you! BMX FM103, where you're always..." (clip of Sox player stealing a base) "... safe. For when you just want to lay back and listen or when you really want to blow it out!!!" (clip of the exploding scoreboard... my favorite of the bunch!). "Stay with BMX FM103, and check out the White Socks!" (camera zooms in on the bottom of her sock, with WBMX, FM103 stenciled on the sole).

I like to check out her white socks!!!!!!:D: :cool: :D:

But I like the hear about the 70's Sox ads.It was a little berfore my time,but they sounded great!

But I got to say the Pizza Hut commericals were great with Fisk and Richard Dotson.I remember Dotson said to Fisk when Carlton picked up a piece of pizza with his fork and he asked,"Hey,what is that?",Fisk answered,"Fork ball".:tongue:

But I think the "Us vs. THEM" was a instant classic.

thomas35forever
01-08-2006, 01:30 PM
I remember the Line Shot commercials from the '98 season. The guys in the suits were Frank, Ventura, and Albert Belle. The poster is hanging in my room. On the top, it says "FOR THE BAD GUYS, IT'S NO RUNS, NO HITS, NO MERCY."

Wimpy
01-08-2006, 03:00 PM
I remember the Line Shot commercials from the '98 season. The guys in the suits were Frank, Ventura, and Albert Belle. The poster is hanging in my room. On the top, it says "FOR THE BAD GUYS, IT'S NO RUNS, NO HITS, NO MERCY."

Thanks Thomas35. That is hilarious. I love the fact that you still have the poster hanging up in your room. Sweet!!!:D: :cool:

Corlose 15
01-08-2006, 03:21 PM
The funniest Sox commercial I've ever seen is from 2004. It has Paulie talking to the camera in the dugout about chemistry and how sometimes it gets to the point where you almost have ESP. Then Shingo walks in, mutters something in Japanese and Paulie goes "hang on a sec...its over there", Shingo picks up his glove and runs out to the field and Paulie keeps talking to the camera. :D:

BV2005
01-09-2006, 04:59 PM
The Us vs. Them commercials were my personal favorite.

manders_01
01-09-2006, 07:24 PM
The Them vs. Us commercial was hilarious!

Also, although it wasn't a WS comm, I love the Pepsi comm where the food vendor gives Sosa an incredibly hot taco (or burrito) and then puts on his Sox hat. Loved that one!

soxfanreggie
01-09-2006, 09:07 PM
To answer how old Julio Franco is, wasn't he God's bridge partner on the 7th day?

soxtalker
01-09-2006, 09:09 PM
I remember one from around 83 with Tom Paciorek wearing those fake glasses, nose, and mustache. I don't even rememebr what he said, but I do remember that he looked like he was trying hard not to laugh.

I don't know if this is the same one, but I remember one with Paciorek from that era (i.e., as a player) which must have been around Holloween. He was dressed up like a vampire, holding a bat, looking at it like it was something strange, and making some statement about it not being able to fly.

Dolly
01-10-2006, 03:19 PM
How could I forget!!! My favorite Sox comercial has to be the one I was in!!! One of my friends, my sister, and I were on the scoreboard during one of the Sox-Cubs games in 2001, and they used that same video clip in a commercial that ran during the 2002 and 2003 seasons. My phone used to ring off the hook every time it was on. So there's my 15 minutes of fame! :cool:

Fake Chet Lemon
01-10-2006, 07:55 PM

Those were great because the production value was so BAD. The commercials today are so slick. The ones with Paciorek were like an 8th grade media project. But it made them "fun".

Anyone else remember the really lean times on Channel 44, when for a complete season they only had what seemed like TWO commercials? Every single half-inning commercial break they had a bad "American Family Insurance" commercial followed by an equally bad "Plachman's Mustard" commercial with some kid throwing a ball up in the air. The same two, every game, every half-inning. It was torture!

Lip Man 1
01-11-2006, 12:49 PM
A lot like the commercial for athlete's foot every two innings now on WGN right?

It's amazing to me that very few local companies have ads on the WGN games anymore. It's all athletes' foot and promo's for WGN shows.

Lip

chisoxfanatic
01-11-2006, 10:43 PM
The US vs. THEM commercial was #1 for me.

An honorable mention #1a for me would be the Magglio Ordonez commercial for Pepsi Half Price Tuesday back in 2001, which would be aired during WGN and WCIU broadcasts in the Chicago area...TOO hilarious!`

eriqjaffe
01-12-2006, 10:21 AM
I remember in '04, they had filmed a commercial after the acquision of Garcia...it was Buerhle, Freddy and Loaiza sitting in the dugout, calmly watching home run after home run, and then Freddy says, "I think I'm gonna like it here".

Of course, Loaiza was traded a month later, and the commercial never aired (to my knowledge), but I remember the Sox having some of the raw footage up on their site for a while.

anewman35
01-12-2006, 10:42 AM
Of course, Loaiza was traded a month later, and the commercial never aired (to my knowledge), but I remember the Sox having some of the raw footage up on their site for a while.

Yes, it aired. It can be viewed at http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/fan_forum/commercials04.jsp

Viva Medias B's
01-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Those were great because the production value was so BAD. The commercials today are so slick. The ones with Paciorek were like an 8th grade media project. But it made them "fun".

Anyone else remember the really lean times on Channel 44, when for a complete season they only had what seemed like TWO commercials? Every single half-inning commercial break they had a bad "American Family Insurance" commercial followed by an equally bad "Plachman's Mustard" commercial with some kid throwing a ball up in the air. The same two, every game, every half-inning. It was torture!

Or how about ST05 when every commercial during Comcast ST games was the U.S. Cellular ad with the man on the slide?

Dolly
01-12-2006, 02:10 PM
Yes, it aired. It can be viewed at http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/fan_forum/commercials04.jspThanks for that link. I forgot about the "chemistry" commercial with Paulie and Shingo. That was pretty funny! :smile:

Dolly
01-16-2006, 12:56 AM
Just remembered this one:

"Hi, I'm Vance."

"Hi, I'm Rudy."

"And we're the Law Brothers!"

Hilarious when I was 10... still amusing today. :tongue:

RadioheadRocks
01-16-2006, 01:04 AM
I remember one from the late 1980s that started off with a professional businesswoman leaving a downtown office building. She steps out from the glass doors, pauses, then enters a limousine and as it drives off, a White Sox game can be heard on the limo's radio. The camera is still on the woman in the limo, then we hear a Lorn Brown home run call; the limo comes to a quick stop and a White Sox cap (the "Campbell's Soup C" variety) suddenly appears in the woman's hand.

I always thought this was a well-done commercial and when I first saw it I never imagined it would turn out to be an ad for White Sox games on WMAQ-AM.

Layla
01-16-2006, 09:32 AM
I don't know if this is the same one, but I remember one with Paciorek from that era (i.e., as a player) which must have been around Holloween. He was dressed up like a vampire, holding a bat, looking at it like it was something strange, and making some statement about it not being able to fly.

That was a commercial for Bat Day. He did this horrible Bela Lugosi imitation "Think of it - thousands of bats flying around Comiskey Park." Then a voice said it was the wrong kind of bats.

The other one mentioned was for "Funny Nose Glasses Day." Once again, a voice said there wasn't going to be a funny nose glasses day.

Hope this helps. And it's amazing I can remember these things over 20 years later.:rolleyes:

thomas35forever
01-17-2006, 02:48 PM
I remember a commercial from the '97 season (I think) where there was this girl blabbing on about promotions at Comiskey (like Kids Day and stuff like that). She was standing between Frank and Belle. Eventually, both of them got so fed up with her that they just walked away. Does that one come back to anyone's memory?