PDA

View Full Version : London wants to host a baseball game

WhiteSoxFan84
01-07-2006, 01:47 AM
London's Oval cricket ground may become the first European arena to stage a regular-season Major League Baseball game.

Surrey County Cricket Club, which last year spent 25 million pounds ($43.9 million) revamping its 23,000-seat stadium, said it's in talks with baseball officials in the U.S. about flying teams over to play at least one game in July 2008.

Linky (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000102&sid=aV4owsITSVr4&refer=uk)

MUsoxfan
01-07-2006, 01:57 AM
It'll probably be a D-Rays home game against the Yanks or Sawx

HotelWhiteSox
01-07-2006, 02:06 AM
Regular season game my ass, I would hate that if it was my team. Ask the Yankees after their Japan trip and the lag they went through early in the year (you can't win anything in April, but you can easily lose it). Granted, a trip there wouldn't be as draining as a trip to Japan, but still, I think it's unfair to the teams and players involved (it's still like 8-10 hours right?). You already have the WBC crap, let them start their own league

RadioheadRocks
01-07-2006, 02:11 AM
"Friends are here from America, and I'm going to show them London..."
http://www.therockfollies.co.uk/rula1.jpghttp://a1316.g.akamai.net/f/1316/580/1d/pics.drugstore.com/brandimg/9055/75x150.gif (http://www.drugstore.com/templates/brand/default.asp?brand=9055&trx=SRCH-0-BRAND-IMG&trxp2=9055)
Whatever happened to Rula Lenska anyway???

FarWestChicago
01-07-2006, 02:17 AM
Regular season game my ass, I would hate that if it was my team. Ask the Yankees after their Japan trip and the lag they went through early in the year (you can't win anything in April, but you can easily lose it). Granted, a trip there wouldn't be as draining as a trip to Japan, but still, I think it's unfair to the teams and players involved (it's still like 8-10 hours right?). You already have the WBC crap, let them start their own leagueFor East Coast teams is wouldn't be any longer than a flight to the West Coast.

CLR01
01-07-2006, 02:28 AM
For East Coast teams is wouldn't be any longer than a flight to the West Coast.

Besides, if they do it just before the allstar break they will have 3 days to recover from any jet lag. Thrus.=travel, three games series, break mon-wed., both teams home following weekend. Hell give them Thursday off too if they need it.

lostletters
01-07-2006, 04:24 AM
Regular season game my ass, I would hate that if it was my team. Ask the Yankees after their Japan trip and the lag they went through early in the year (you can't win anything in April, but you can easily lose it). Granted, a trip there wouldn't be as draining as a trip to Japan, but still, I think it's unfair to the teams and players involved (it's still like 8-10 hours right?). You already have the WBC crap, let them start their own league

It would be no different then a team travelling to California or Seattle for a game. It takes about as long to travel from east to west coast then it does cross atlantic.

I think a series in London would be great for baseball. MLB never really gave the EU much of a chance to view professional play and it is more of an Americas/Asian sport. I think it would be a good idea to spread the love a bit. Hell if European soccer teams can play in North America to large crowds, why not American baseball teams doing one series a year in the UK. If the UK wants to give baseball a shot, I say why not. Maybe even EU will start carrying baseball games on thier satellite and cable stations if the door is open. It could bring in more revenue into MLB and smaller market teams can benefit in a big way, and the sport becomes more competitive.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-07-2006, 04:35 AM
A lot of people in the US drool at the idea of watching...

http://www.ukaliusaq.gl/8a2005USK/malik/david%20beckham.jpg

...in action, live. I would imagine a lot of Europeans would drool at the idea of watching...

http://www.psacard.com/smrweb/backissues/smr0704/8023075-Alex-Rodriguez.jpg
... in action, live.

SOXintheBURGH
01-07-2006, 10:41 AM
I'd rather see:

http://www.popartuk.com/g/l/lgsp0075.jpg

In action live. :gulp:

downstairs
01-07-2006, 01:41 PM
Oh, please... I honestly can't buy this jet lag stuff... or some notion that this would be a pain in the butt of any sort.

These guys fly *chartered* jets, with service well beyond normal first class service.

It would be no different than going out to a resturaunt/bar with the team for 5-6 hours after the game.

Its not like they have to deal with security, luggage, finding a car, finding and paying for a hotel, etc.

They just show up at their hotel front door, a limo takes them to the airport, and others handle the rest.

Fenway
01-07-2006, 02:05 PM
Red Sox have been talking for awhile about a desire to play a game in Dublin

itsnotrequired
01-07-2006, 02:12 PM
Red Sox have been talking for awhile about a desire to play a game in Dublin

That would be cool. In fact, a whole day of games in Europe would be cool. Like others have said, have it before the All-Star break. All the east coast teams could play each other on the same day with the games in different cities. Yankees-Red Sox in Dublin, Mets-Phillies in London, Braves-Nationals in Paris, Orioles-Blue Jays in Madrid, etc.

You could have an entire "international day" and have games like Astros-Marlins in Mexico City, Mariners-Athletics in Winnepeg, etc.

Chicken Dinner
01-07-2006, 05:50 PM
I say keep America's past-time in America. If the bloody English want to see some baseball, fly on over. The last thing we need is a baseball game starting at 8 in the morning.

FarWestChicago
01-07-2006, 05:57 PM
I say keep America's past-time in America. If the bloody English want to see some baseball, fly on over. The last thing we need is a baseball game starting at 8 in the morning.Unfortunately for your jingoistic self, baseball is already played outside the United States and there are even non-Americans in MLB. :o:

samram
01-07-2006, 06:05 PM
Unfortunately for your jingoistic self, baseball is already played outside the United States and there are even non-Americans in MLB. :o:
Nuh-uh.

I don't think it would be that big a deal to play in London, logistics wise. Although I can just imagine SoxEd sitting in the stands all by himself.:D:

Chicken Dinner
01-07-2006, 06:35 PM
Unfortunately for your jingoistic self, baseball is already played outside the United States and there are even non-Americans in MLB. :o:

I don't recall England having a team in the WBC or even an active player in the bigs. (nice word=jingoistic)

PaleHoseGeorge
01-07-2006, 06:57 PM
I say keep America's past-time in America. If the bloody English want to see some baseball, fly on over. The last thing we need is a baseball game starting at 8 in the morning.

What is this suppose to mean? Arizonans want to see the Sox? Fly to Chicago?
:?:

SoxEd
01-07-2006, 07:18 PM
Over here, Baseball has been very much 'Under the Radar' for coming up to a century. (It must once have been fairly popular here - throughout the 20th Century, Derby County FC played their home games at a stadium called 'The Baseball Ground'.)

For the last nine seasons, games have been carried by one of the Free-to-air terrestrial TV stations here ('five'), and so interest has picked up dramatically compared to previous decades.
This is e.g. the mechanism by which I came to love the sport.
five did used to show two games a week live (Sun night & Wed night), but last season they lost the contract for the Wednesday game mid-way through the Season.

I sincerely hope that MLB International sees fit to keep the Baseball on the free-to-air station next year, rather than shunting it on to one of the minority Cable channels.
The Sport NEEDS the wide exposure free-to-air brings over here, and furthermore, the production quality of the show on 'five' is just in a different league to the Cable channels' feeble and underfunded attempts so far.
IMO Baseball in the UK would suffer like the Sox' popularity in Chicago did when they went off free-to-air TV and on to an obscure ppv station.

I don't recall England having a team in the WBC or even an active player in the bigs. (nice word=jingoistic)
Team GB are SO not good enough to get in to the WBC. :(:

There are leagues here, but they are all Amateur.
The game grew in popularity (playing-wise, at least) when GI's brought it over in the 1940's. IIRC the club in Liverpool dates from WW2.

Universities here are now starting to pick up Baseball (the fact that the televised games START at 1am UK time :o: means that Students form a large proportion of the UK audience), so perhaps, in a few more years, Team GB may be able to compete on the European stage.
At the moment, the Dutch and the Italians are the 'major powers' this side of the pond.

If MLB were to agree to a game being played over here, I'd guess they'd go with NYY vs BOS, or maybe NYY vs NYM in Interleague play.
That way they'd probably get the most 'bums on seats'.

In summary,Baseball is still very much a minority interest over here, but despite samram's fears I'd be far from alone if I were to buy tickets for a game at the Oval. :D:

Clearly, I'd love the chance to go see a live MLB game on British soil, and I reckon it would do the Sport a power of good over here.

IIRC the only 'Brit' to EVER play in the bigs was a guy who was born in Glasgow but whose family moved Stateside when he was very young.
I THINK that he hit the 'shot heard around the World' in a World Series in the 1950's between the Dodgers and the Yankees, but I can't remember the guy's name, so I am not sure.:redface:

EDIT: Not in the WS, but to win the 1951 NL Pennant. Wikipedia link here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_Heard_%27Round_the_World_%28baseball%29).

dropkick371
01-07-2006, 07:24 PM
I'm down with a game being played in London. Nice chance for citizens of the UK to see a game live, and I see nothing bad about baseball being spread worldwide.

I'm not sure how high the interest level is over there, but I'd like to see it play out.

even an active player in the bigsThirty players in the history of baseball can count England (another 8 from Scotland, 2 from Wales, none from Northern Ireland for a total of 40 from the UK, with 40 more from Ireland) as their birthplace, though only a few have played outside of the 1910's, with those playing in the very recent past being :

Danny Cox (1983-1995, Northampton)
Lance Painter (1993-2003, born in Bedford).

Though if baseball were to catch on in England, I imagine the probability of someone from England coming to the US to play in the Major Leagues would go up a bit.

Chicken Dinner
01-07-2006, 07:46 PM
Very informative post Ed

Bump34
01-07-2006, 08:00 PM
It'll probably be a D-Rays home game against the Yanks or Sawx

No thanks!!!

TornLabrum
01-07-2006, 11:02 PM
George Wright, one of the original Cincinnati Red Stocking who moved to Boston with the stars of that team to form the Boston Red Stockings in 1871 (now the Atlanta Braves) and who became one of the game's great early managers, was born in Sheffield, England. IIRC he got his start playing cricket.

Fenway
01-07-2006, 11:33 PM
Surrey County Cricket Club, which last year spent 25 million pounds ($43.9 million) revamping its 23,000-seat stadium, said it's in talks with baseball officials in the U.S. about flying teams over to play at least one game in July 2008
Linky (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000102&sid=aV4owsITSVr4&refer=uk)

going to be a LOT of foul territory
http://content.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/DB/112003/047682.jpg

1951Campbell
01-07-2006, 11:43 PM
http://content.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/DB/112003/047682.jpg

Awesome, I was hoping someone would post a pic of the field in question. :thumbsup:

The funny thing is, it doesn't have that much more foul territory than Oakland. :D:

At any rate, my parents took me to the British Isles in 1985. Man, it was hot! I guess it was unusual. Anyway, I was just a kid and it was so cool to experience a different culture and be overseas. But...in re cricket: we were there for 3 weeks, and, no lie, I think I watched the same cricket game on "the telly" the whole freakin' time we were there.

Plus, the British seem to love Lee Marvin. A ton of Lee Marvin flicks, lemme tell you, my parents were diggin' it.

SaltyPretzel
01-08-2006, 12:19 AM

If it were a night game there, it would be in the afternoon here.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-08-2006, 11:03 AM

It looks a bit like the old Oakland Alameda Coliseum.

:wink:

Irishsoxfan
01-08-2006, 12:17 PM
Thirty players in the history of baseball can count England (another 8 from Scotland, 2 from Wales, none from Northern Ireland for a total of 40 from the UK, with 40 more from Ireland) as their birthplace, though only a few have played outside of the 1910's, with those playing in the very recent past being :

Danny Cox (1983-1995, Northampton)
Lance Painter (1993-2003, born in Bedford).

The most recent Irish player was Joe Cleary from Cork. In his only appearance in the Major Leagues for the Washington Senators in 1945, he allowed 7 runs on 5 hits and 3 walks and recorded 1 out (by strikeout).

Baby Fisk
01-08-2006, 11:16 PM
In 1914, the Chicago White Sox played the New York Giants in London, the finale of a grand world tour conducted by the two teams in the off-season of 1913-1914:

London, the last city the tourists would visit, provided some of the most memorable events of the entire tour, including an exciting, extra inning game attended by King George V and more than 10,000 of his subjects, free passes to all the London shows and curiosity abounding about Jim Thorpe. The British were surprised to find that Jim Thorpe looked nothing like the Indians who traveled with "Wild West" shows throughout the Empire. They expected war paint, feathers, a stone hatchet, and scalps lashed to his belt. They received a quiet, almost shy man, only slightly distinguishable from his teammates.
An how did the English view the game devised by their one time colonists? The answer to that question was neatly cited in the Manchester Mirror of February 27, 1914,
"As to the merits of the game, and to the possibilities of its catching on here in England, opinions were very much divided. That it contains all the elements of a grand field game none can surely deny. Every phase of it is marked by dashing skill, encouraging the closest association of hand, foot, and eye. But it is not an English pastime."

http://www.sabruk.org/images/examiner/11/king.gif
King George V in the stands. Was he perhaps rooting for the White Stockings???

gowhitesox
01-09-2006, 01:25 AM
If it does happen it would probably be the Yankees and some one else from the east coast because of travel time.

gobears1987
01-09-2006, 04:57 PM
It looks a bit like the old Oakland Alameda Coliseum.

:wink:OK, so send any team BUT the White Sox there.

Palehose13
01-09-2006, 07:44 PM
I would think that the Brits would want to see the amazingly popular, most incredible dynasty in the states: the three times world series champion CHicago White Sox. :D:

Fenway
01-09-2006, 07:47 PM
I would think that the Brits would want to see the amazingly popular, most incredible dynasty in the states: the three times world series champion CHicago White Sox. :D:

We could give them to keep the Florida Marlins :D:

PKalltheway
01-10-2006, 12:35 AM
OK, so send any team BUT the White Sox there.

If the White Sox keep at the rate they are going right now, you better believe that the chances of them going over there are very, very great.

SOXintheBURGH
01-10-2006, 12:38 AM
If the White Sox keep at the rate they are going right now, you better believe that the chances of them going over there are very, very great.

And Queen Elizabeth will meet them at the airport, and knight Kenny Williams. Sir Kenny Williams trades the UK the Cubs for Lemmy.

SoxEd
01-10-2006, 07:16 PM
And Queen Elizabeth will meet them at the airport, and knight Kenny Williams. Sir Kenny Williams trades the UK the Cubs for Lemmy.
So, we lose Lemmy, and we have to take the Cubs?
:puking:http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/scared/scared0018.gif

When did HM the Q (God bless Her and all who sail in Her) hire David Dombrowski as our GM?
:redneck

ondafarm
01-10-2006, 07:22 PM
I've flown both Chicago to Tokyo and Chicago to London. The jet lag to Tokyo is about eight times worse. From New York to London wouldn't be wosre than Seattle to Boston, so as long as they gave the teams an extra day or two off, I see no problems. Do it around the All-Star break.

Taliesinrk
01-10-2006, 09:59 PM
IIRC the only 'Brit' to EVER play in the bigs was a guy who was born in Glasgow but whose family moved Stateside when he was very young.
I THINK that he hit the 'shot heard around the World' in a World Series in the 1950's between the Dodgers and the Yankees, but I can't remember the guy's name, so I am not sure.:redface:

EDIT: Not in the WS, but to win the 1951 NL Pennant. Wikipedia link here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_Heard_%27Round_the_World_%28baseball%29).

First of all.. thanks for the info.. very nice post and I enjoyed it. Secondly, not to be picky.. but I think it was the giants in that game.. bobby thompson right?

DenverSock
01-11-2006, 11:22 AM
We could give them to keep the Florida Marlins :D:

Maybe you meant: We could give them the Florida Marlins to keep

First bring that up in Portland,OR.