PDA

View Full Version : Blue Jays Trade Koskie to Brewers

WhiteSoxFan84
01-07-2006, 12:44 AM
Corey Koskie is now a Brewer. Traded for mnor league reliever Brian Wolfe. Possibly a add-on to the Lyle Overbay trade?

Linky (http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1136589012051&call_pageid=968867503640&col=970081593064)

SoxSpeed22
01-07-2006, 12:52 AM
Good. He's in the National League away from us.

MUsoxfan
01-07-2006, 12:56 AM
Good. The Brewers are a 2nd place team now in the NL Central. Wildcard?

Koskie >>>>>>> Branyan + Cirillo

Banix12
01-07-2006, 01:35 AM
Good. The Brewers are a 2nd place team now in the NL Central. Wildcard?

Koskie >>>>>>> Branyan + Cirillo

And it keeps Bill Hall in the Utility Role. I think they were talking about keeping him in 3rd base over Branyan.

Brewers lineup 2005
Brady Clark
Rickie Weeks
Carlos Lee
Prince Fielder
Geoff Jenkins
Corey Koskie
JJ Hardy
Damien Miller

Provided Fielder can provide a strong rookie season, that is a very talented and powerful lineup. I can't wait to see what the Brewers can do in the NL next year.

rowand33
01-07-2006, 01:49 AM
the Brewers are good and the Cardinals have had a less than impressive offseason... who knows.

They have a pretty decent staff too.

Sheets (10-9 3.33 ERA)
Davis (11-11 3.84 ERA)
Capuano (18-12 3.99 ERA)
Ohka (11-9 4.04 ERA overall, 4-3 3.33 ERA with Milwaukee)
Bush (5-11 4.49 ERA)

if Weekes, Fielder, and Hardy play to their potential, they're gonna be a tough team to beat.

buehrle4cy05
01-07-2006, 01:55 AM
I have the Brewers winning the 2006 NL Wild Card. No teal needed.

Chisox003
01-07-2006, 02:13 AM
I have the Brewers winning the 2006 NL Wild Card. No teal needed.
Hell, I picked them as my surprise team last year.

In '06, their simply the team to beat. No doubt about it.

lostletters
01-07-2006, 03:19 AM
The Brewers are stacking up to be an "under the radar" team. I think several of thier moves and thier decent pitching staff definately make them competitive.

With the addition of Koskie (thank god he is out of the AL), they could very well be in the playoffs come october.

I think they are adopting the Kenny Williams school of building a team. Good pitching, under the radar moves, a solid mix of talented rookies and veterans. I think them reaching .500 was a turning point for the team.

I am looking forward to going to a couple of Brewers games this year.

Banix12
01-07-2006, 03:52 AM
The Brewers are stacking up to be an "under the radar" team. I think several of thier moves and thier decent pitching staff definately make them competitive.

With the addition of Koskie (thank god he is out of the AL), they could very well be in the playoffs come october.

I think they are adopting the Kenny Williams school of building a team. Good pitching, under the radar moves, a solid mix of talented rookies and veterans. I think them reaching .500 was a turning point for the team.

I am looking forward to going to a couple of Brewers games this year.

Doug Melvin has been doing this far longer than Kenny Williams. He built some solid teams in Texas before his owner went and screwed up the whole thing by paying a fortune to ARod. Now he's just been amazing as the Brewers GM picking up players off the scrap heap, turning them around and often flipping then for solid players and prospects.

Ned Yost and Mike Maddux have to get a ton of credit too. Doug Davis was an amazing reclaimation project by Maddux. I remember him when he was with Texas and Toronto and he couldn't get the ball over the plate, now he's one of the better lefthanders in the NL.

The whole change in Milwaukee started with the change in Management. It is a stark difference from the dark days of Sal Bando when he gave big contracts to guys like Jeffery Hammonds and Marquis Grissom.

Sox-o-matic
01-07-2006, 10:21 AM
And it keeps Bill Hall in the Utility Role. I think they were talking about keeping him in 3rd base over Branyan.

Brewers lineup 2005
Brady Clark
Rickie Weeks
Carlos Lee
Prince Fielder
Geoff Jenkins
Corey Koskie
JJ Hardy
Damien Miller

Provided Fielder can provide a strong rookie season, that is a very talented and powerful lineup. I can't wait to see what the Brewers can do in the NL next year.

I still hate Geoff Jenkins.

It will be intersting to see if Hardy hits this year, but yeah I agree with you. Can't wait to see them stomp all over the Cubs and the rest of the NL Central on their way to 88 wins or so, which should be good enough for second. I think Fielder is going to be a super stud right away and Capuano is going to get some attention finally. Go BrewCrew in '06!

doublem23
01-07-2006, 10:56 AM
I still don't understand all this love for the Brewers. I hated them for years growing up, but whatever.

No shock the Blue Jays moved Koskie and this is a good deal for Milwaukee. Nice to see a small market team make good, frugle moves and actually try and compete rather than cry poor and whine like so many others.

DSpivack
01-07-2006, 01:32 PM
I still don't understand all this love for the Brewers. I hated them for years growing up, but whatever.

No shock the Blue Jays moved Koskie and this is a good deal for Milwaukee. Nice to see a small market team make good, frugle moves and actually try and compete rather than cry poor and whine like so many others.

In the AL, they were rivals of the Sox--people hated them.

In the NL, they are rivals of the Cubs---people like them.

I think it's that simple. There's really no reason for there to be any animosity between the Sox and the Brew Crew anymore.

Banix12
01-07-2006, 02:07 PM
In the AL, they were rivals of the Sox--people hated them.

In the NL, they are rivals of the Cubs---people like them.

I think it's that simple. There's really no reason for there to be any animosity between the Sox and the Brew Crew anymore.

Well in my case I never had animosity or them even back when there was a rivalry and i was supposed to have animosity for them. In the early ninties when I was like 10-11 my family used to go up there all the time and I really enjoyed going to County Stadium, the fans were incredibly friendly to us, the food was great, and we always had a good time. Even when George Bell would charge the mound every other game the Sox played there.

I was never a big fan of Phil Garner but I liked a lot of the old players and it has always been a very fun place to watch a game.

But then again i don't have a lot of animosity toward most of the sox rivals. I never really hated the Indians or Twins. The only teams I ever disliked were the Yankees and the Cubs.

The Brewers have always been my second favorite team, even when both teams were in the American League. It was difficult during that 4 year period when they were both in the AL Central but now that they have realigned it's much easier to like both squads. And in total fairness, I started liking them when they were in the AL East which I never considered a conflict of interest.

SoxFan76
01-07-2006, 02:13 PM
I looked up a Brewer fan site to see their reaction, none of them seem to like this move. They think Hall is a better player and Koskie will be a bench player.

Banix12
01-07-2006, 04:52 PM
I still hate Geoff Jenkins.

It will be intersting to see if Hardy hits this year, but yeah I agree with you. Can't wait to see them stomp all over the Cubs and the rest of the NL Central on their way to 88 wins or so, which should be good enough for second. I think Fielder is going to be a super stud right away and Capuano is going to get some attention finally. Go BrewCrew in '06!

Hardy had a very strong second half last season so I think it is reasonable to think he should hit a little better than his overall numbers showed last season.

Hardy hit .308 with 8 HR after the all star break

I think Fielder will have some early growing pains but with Lee, Jenkins and Koskie he should have some reasonable protection in the lineup which should help him out.

So what do you have against Brett Farve's twin? (I'll let others decide which one is the evil twin)

samram
01-07-2006, 04:58 PM
Hell, I picked them as my surprise team last year.

In '06, their simply the team to beat. No doubt about it.
Team to beat for the wildcard or the division? I'll still take St. Louis in the NLC, but the Brewers should make a good run at the wildcard in a NL that is still weak.

MUsoxfan
01-08-2006, 02:32 AM

They are the perennial underdog, and I'm a man who loves his underdogs. Plus, I went to several Brewer games when I lived in Milwaukee

caulfield12
01-08-2006, 02:47 PM
They are the perennial underdog, and I'm a man who loves his underdogs. Plus, I went to several Brewer games when I lived in Milwaukee

There´s a good snippet by Phil Rogers in the Tribune today about why Koskie was not acquired by the Twins. Apparently, they would have had to deal Lohse and go with Baker and Liriano as their 4-5 starters.

At least they have the amazing open-stanced strikeout machine known as Tony Batista for 3B.

It´s pretty amazing that the Minnesota budget is already up to $65 million, considering they shed Mays, J. Jones and Romero. Most of it has to be going to Radke, Hunter, S. Stewart, Nathan and Santana.

TomBradley72
01-08-2006, 04:30 PM
Putting a nice team together.....very sweet if the Brewers can make the post season while the Cubbies celebrate another attendance championship...the final phase of the complete exposure of MacPhail/Hendry/Baker.:gulp:

soxinem1
01-08-2006, 07:54 PM
There´s a good snippet by Phil Rogers in the Tribune today about why Koskie was not acquired by the Twins. Apparently, they would have had to deal Lohse and go with Baker and Liriano as their 4-5 starters.

At least they have the amazing open-stanced strikeout machine known as Tony Batista for 3B.

It´s pretty amazing that the Minnesota budget is already up to $65 million, considering they shed Mays, J. Jones and Romero. Most of it has to be going to Radke, Hunter, S. Stewart, Nathan and Santana.

They could have put Koskie at 3B and used Batista as DH and maybe get 50-55 HR's from the two of them. But Batista was not a bad offensive player on paper through 2004. He usually had 600+ AB a season, so 100K's is not too bad if the guy is producing runs. But he seems to wear thin on teams pretty quickly so I could see Gardenhire and him clashing, which is all the better for the Sox.

But he's also slump prone and definitely three steps behind Koskie with the glove. And talk about KO machines, Koskie will be far better than Russ Branyon in that regard.

All the more reason why I believe the Brewers and Pirates may be pleasant suprises this year. Having Bill Hall, Jeff Cirillo, and Branyon on your bench is pretty deep. Good move for the Brew Crew.

Baby Fisk
01-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Black Jays had a logjam at 3B. This move is not surprising...

...other than the fact that they got virtually NOTHING in return for Koskie. J.P. Ricciardi: genius or idiot? :?:

SoxSpeed22
01-09-2006, 12:08 AM
Black Jays had a logjam at 3B. This move is not surprising...

...other than the fact that they got virtually NOTHING in return for Koskie. J.P. Ricciardi: genius or idiot? :?::fobbgod:
"My disciples suck! (Except Epstein")

Palehose13
01-09-2006, 12:13 AM

Brew Crew!

They're my NL team, but if they were still in the AL I'm pretty sure that I would hate them.

Foulke You
01-09-2006, 11:16 AM
I looked up a Brewer fan site to see their reaction, none of them seem to like this move. They think Hall is a better player and Koskie will be a bench player.
That's because they haven't seen Koskie play since he did most of his playing in the American League. After they see the kind of defense that guy brings to the hot corner, they will warm up to him being the full time 3B.

caulfield12
01-09-2006, 11:19 AM
They could have put Koskie at 3B and used Batista as DH and maybe get 50-55 HR's from the two of them. But Batista was not a bad offensive player on paper through 2004. He usually had 600+ AB a season, so 100K's is not too bad if the guy is producing runs. But he seems to wear thin on teams pretty quickly so I could see Gardenhire and him clashing, which is all the better for the Sox.

But he's also slump prone and definitely three steps behind Koskie with the glove. And talk about KO machines, Koskie will be far better than Russ Branyon in that regard.

All the more reason why I believe the Brewers and Pirates may be pleasant suprises this year. Having Bill Hall, Jeff Cirillo, and Branyon on your bench is pretty deep. Good move for the Brew Crew.

I think Batista made it (or should have) to the All-Star game at least once. He was one of those guys like Carlos Baerga that just disappeared from the face of the earth after looking like, well, not a future Hall of Famer, but a very good player.

The Twins have too many players and not enough power. Supposedly, Cuddyer is going to play RF if Kubel is not healthy from his knee problems. Lew Ford slumped last year big-time from 2004. They also got rid of LeCroy.

Defense has always been a big issue with Batista, especially when slumping offensively.

The thing that makes no sense to me is why the Twins got away from their defense-speed-fundamentals formula that was so successful. Now they are just grasping for straws with players like Boone and Batista. It really makes no sense...especially when the Sox basically copied their formula and showed how successful it could be for another organization.

Koskie, Guzman, Rivas and Doug M. was probably the best defensive infield in the majors from 1999-2003. You also had David Ortiz on that team.

Now you have Batista, Juan Castro (a stud defensively but so-so bat, Vin Scullys favorite Dodger of all-time), Bartlett, Punto, Luis Castillo, Cuddyer, Morneau, etc.

Morneau and Mauer have to become dominant offensive forces for this team to compete...otherwise, they will have to trade Hunter and Stewart and rebuild around Santana. Do not see Radke ever leaving though...he would probably rather retire than pitch for another organization.

Flight #24
01-09-2006, 12:12 PM
The thing that makes no sense to me is why the Twins got away from their defense-speed-fundamentals formula that was so successful. Now they are just grasping for straws with players like Boone and Batista. It really makes no sense...especially when the Sox basically copied their formula and showed how successful it could be for another organization.

Koskie, Guzman, Rivas and Doug M. was probably the best defensive infield in the majors from 1999-2003. You also had David Ortiz on that team.

Here's IMO their big problem. In their initial rise, they had pretty much everyone fairly cheap and producing at a high level (Hunter, Jones, Koskie, Minky, Radke, etc.). Right now, they have 3 guys making some serious coin: Santana, Hunter, Radke, and 2 more with decent salaries in Nathan, Stewart. But the crew including Cuddyer, Ford, Morneau, and the MIFs has just not provided much - but the high-salaried guys mentioned earlier prevent them from acquiring anything more than bargain basement retreads, especially with salaries inflating significantly.

Until they can start to free up some $$$ or get cheap guys performing at more than marginal levels, they're in trouble. Looking at their team, the only guys who are cheap & halfway good or better are Mauer and Ford. The rest just haven't come through yet. They could turn it around with Liriano, Baker, Kubel, Morneau - but it hasn't happened yet.

caulfield12
01-09-2006, 12:21 PM
Here's IMO their big problem. In their initial rise, they had pretty much everyone fairly cheap and producing at a high level (Hunter, Jones, Koskie, Minky, Radke, etc.). Right now, they have 3 guys making some serious coin: Santana, Hunter, Radke, and 2 more with decent salaries in Nathan, Stewart. But the crew including Cuddyer, Ford, Morneau, and the MIFs has just not provided much - but the high-salaried guys mentioned earlier prevent them from acquiring anything more than bargain basement retreads, especially with salaries inflating significantly.

Until they can start to free up some $$$ or get cheap guys performing at more than marginal levels, they're in trouble. Looking at their team, the only guys who are cheap & halfway good or better are Mauer and Ford. The rest just haven't come through yet. They could turn it around with Liriano, Baker, Kubel, Morneau - but it hasn't happened yet.

The Twins are a lot like the White Sox, in that their farm system production has been overhyped. Mauer was a no-brainer after they couldnt sign Prior.

But most of their top position prospects have not excelled. They have done a good job in shoring up the bullpen with pitchers like Crain, Balfour (injured), Rincon, etc. They were deadly in 02 and 03, when Romero was effective and they backed that up with Hawkins and then Guardado. Even though Nathan is dominant, you feel you at least have a chance now against them, even Rincon.

They acquired Santana through Rule 5, Lohse from the Cubs and Silva from the Phillies (a great deal for the Twins IMO), but that formula is similar to the White Sox one of dealing for most of their pitching, or scouting them from other organizations and getting them on the cheap (Jenks, Garland, Loaiza, Contreras).

Their offense in those years did just enough to get by, like the Sox in 2005. The Sox always had a greater runs scored-allowed differential than Minny, but it wasnt consistent and spread out like the Sox did last year with their plethora of 1 and 2 run victories. Too many 10-2 and 8-3 victories followed by a series where they scored 6-7 runs against dominant pitching (As, Angels, Twins, Red Sox, Mariners, Yankees, etc.)

ma-gaga
01-09-2006, 03:12 PM
Here's IMO their big problem. In their initial rise, they had pretty much everyone fairly cheap and producing at a high level

You are dead on.

The Twinsgeek did a study on this a couple of years back. He claimed that the Royals produced JUST AS MANY "impact" (or whatever you'd call Guzman, Koskie, Mientkiewicz, Hunter, Pierzynski, and Jones) players in the last 5 years as the Twins.

The Twins just produced 6 of them at once, and the Royals produced them one at a time. I think the Royals list looked like; Beltran, Stairs, Sweeney, Damon, little Giambi... and Berroa? Each of them had a dominant year, or at least an above average one, but they never seemed to be able to align them properly.

caulfield12
01-09-2006, 05:29 PM
You are dead on.

The Twinsgeek did a study on this a couple of years back. He claimed that the Royals produced JUST AS MANY "impact" (or whatever you'd call Guzman, Koskie, Mientkiewicz, Hunter, Pierzynski, and Jones) players in the last 5 years as the Twins.

The Twins just produced 6 of them at once, and the Royals produced them one at a time. I think the Royals list looked like; Beltran, Stairs, Sweeney, Damon, little Giambi... and Berroa? Each of them had a dominant year, or at least an above average one, but they never seemed to be able to align them properly.

Stairs was not a Royals product. And I would hardly call J. Giambi much of a player.

Yeah, the Royals had Beltran, Dye and Damon in the outfield at one point and lost all of them, or were forced to trade them away before FA hit. Berroa was actually acquired as part of one of those trades with the A´s. They had to get a shortstop to replace Rey Sanchez, who stupidly turned down a multi-year, multi-million contract from KC to get less than $1 million per year from Boston. The Royals got screwed, because they had to give up more talent to bring Neifi Perez on board to hold the position while Berroa was developing.

They also produced Dan Reichert (never panned out, but great arm), Chad Durbin, Jose Rosado, Jimmy Gobble, Mike MacDougal and Jeremy Affeldt at roughly the same time. Jeff Austin was a high draft pick of this era that never panned out...Joe Vitiello....Dee Brown...Jeff Granger from A&M, the Royals system really blew a number of their number one picks. Colt Griffin, the high school kid from Texas who reportedly threw 100 a couple of times, is another that comes to mind.

Just look at this list from the last fifteen years. Only two of their number 1 picks are even on major league rosters as of today.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/alltime/draft?team=kan

SoxFan76
01-09-2006, 05:58 PM
Check out the White Sox draft picks. 87-90 turned out pretty well. (Fernandez, Thomas, McDowell, Ventura)

soxinem1
01-09-2006, 09:29 PM
Stairs was not a Royals product. And I would hardly call J. Giambi much of a player.

Yeah, the Royals had Beltran, Dye and Damon in the outfield at one point and lost all of them, or were forced to trade them away before FA hit. Berroa was actually acquired as part of one of those trades with the As. They had to get a shortstop to replace Rey Sanchez, who stupidly turned down a multi-year, multi-million contract from KC to get less than $1 million per year from Boston. The Royals got screwed, because they had to give up more talent to bring Neifi Perez on board to hold the position while Berroa was developing.

They also produced Dan Reichert (never panned out, but great arm), Chad Durbin, Jose Rosado, Jimmy Gobble, Mike MacDougal and Jeremy Affeldt at roughly the same time. Jeff Austin was a high draft pick of this era that never panned out...Joe Vitiello....Dee Brown...Jeff Granger from A&M, the Royals system really blew a number of their number one picks. Colt Griffin, the high school kid from Texas who reportedly threw 100 a couple of times, is another that comes to mind.

Just look at this list from the last fifteen years. Only two of their number 1 picks are even on major league rosters as of today.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/alltime/draft?team=kan

And Sanchez has never made the money he did in KC, the greedy fool!

The Royals have had three things happen that have helped lead to their demise:

1. John Scheurholz going to ATL
2. Trying to buy FA after 1990 killed their farm system for years, but Herk Robinson helped keep them competitive.
3. The strike. All the talk was always the White Sox winning the Central in 1994, but Cleveland was only a game out and KC was only 3.5! They had one of the best pitching staffs in baseball that year, and never recovered since then. Ewing Kauffmann did his best to keep that franchise competitive, but once he saw what was happening with salaries, he bailed out.

Except for a few years of false promise, they have been the modern day version of Titanic. Sinking with no way of reversinng the trend...

SoxSpeed22
01-09-2006, 10:25 PM
Another problem with the Royals was the inability to build on their 2003 success, their prize acquisition, Juan Gonzalez, gets hurt within the first series. Runelvys Hernandez was never the same after messing up his elbow, Brian Anderson stunk after 2003, and the Beltran trade was another thing, they got John Buck, who's done nothing, Mike Wood who hasn't done much either and Mark Teahen and his vaunted on-base ability that led to a .246 average and a .309 on base percentage. Wood, Andy Sisco and others are going to be put to the rotation next year and they're not gonna be ready. It is a disheartening ****in' situation they're in right now. (Sorry, couldn't resist.:redneck)

WhiteSoxFan84
01-10-2006, 03:06 AM
From the Seattle Times...

Milwaukee designated infielder Russell Branyan for assignment, making room for new third baseman Corey Koskie. The Brewers acquired Koskie in a trade with Toronto last week.

caulfield12
01-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Another problem with the Royals was the inability to build on their 2003 success, their prize acquisition, Juan Gonzalez, gets hurt within the first series. Runelvys Hernandez was never the same after messing up his elbow, Brian Anderson stunk after 2003, and the Beltran trade was another thing, they got John Buck, who's done nothing, Mike Wood who hasn't done much either and Mark Teahen and his vaunted on-base ability that led to a .246 average and a .309 on base percentage. Wood, Andy Sisco and others are going to be put to the rotation next year and they're not gonna be ready. It is a disheartening ****in' situation they're in right now. (Sorry, couldn't resist.:redneck)

They Royals will be fine if Bautista (think a raw version of D. Cabrera, lol), Greinke and Hernandez pitch like they are capable of pitching.

Remember, they have some depth with Dessens, Elarton, Gobble, Howell, Mays, Redman and Wood.

That´s actually ten starters, although Wood sucks and Howell wasn´t ready last season.

Elarton and Redman are definitely serviceable 4th and 5th starters. Mays and Dessens can be capable as well. I think a lot of teams are going to go after some of their pitchers around the deadline, especially Gobble, who the Royals once had an offer, straight up, for Kevin Mench, and they turned it down.

With Sisco (another Cubs´ loss, along with Lohse, Garland and D. Willis), Burgos, MacDougal and Affeldt, you have four of the best bullpen arms in the AL Central, although MacDougal has always struggled with control and Affeldt with injuries. I really wish they would trade Jeremy to us, he could be even better than Marte but I don´t think he will get things straightened out unless he gets a fresh start with another organization.

brewcrew/chisox
01-10-2006, 03:12 PM
From the Seattle Times...

Russell Branyan = :LTP .

Great towering homeruns, but a loooooooong swing. I'm glad to see him go.

I know Koskie really didn't set the league in fire last year, but I've always liked him as a fielder and his ability to get hits when his team needed them. What I don't like is Bill Hall playing Utility this year, as I think he's just ready to explode out of his shell this year. Signing Koskie is going to restrict his playing time greatly, unless Hardy goes into a funk and they need another SS.

cooprules
01-15-2006, 12:07 AM
Brewer fan here...
Just stopped in to get a different perspective. Thanks for the love in this thread. Nice to hear. Not sure we have enough to get the WC but it'll at least be a very exciting team to watch. I would think the Cards would regress but I thought that last year, too. Pierre scares the heck out of me for the Cubs but unless they strike another big deal (Manny or Miggy) I'll take my chances against them. Houston's going to be tough and the Pirates are on the rise along with us.

I understand completely about some people not liking the Brewers from their AL memories. I grew up in the 70s and remember going to games against the Sox and not liking them very much either. It definitely wasn't as bad as the Yankees then and not even close to how much I hate the Cubs now.

I was a big Scotty Po fan but liked the deal for us last year. Obviously it worked out a little better for you guys. Carlos has been good for us so far and would think it has a chance to get even better in his contract (FA) year this year. If we're not in the WC hunt I could definitely see him being dealt at some point.

KRS1
01-15-2006, 12:22 AM
Brewer fan here...
Just stopped in to get a different perspective. Thanks for the love in this thread. Nice to hear. Not sure we have enough to get the WC but it'll at least be a very exciting team to watch. I would think the Cards would regress but I thought that last year, too. Pierre scares the heck out of me for the Cubs but unless they strike another big deal (Manny or Miggy) I'll take my chances against them. Houston's going to be tough and the Pirates are on the rise along with us.

I understand completely about some people not liking the Brewers from their AL memories. I grew up in the 70s and remember going to games against the Sox and not liking them very much either. It definitely wasn't as bad as the Yankees then and not even close to how much I hate the Cubs now.

I was a big Scotty Po fan but liked the deal for us last year. Obviously it worked out a little better for you guys. Carlos has been good for us so far and would think it has a chance to get even better in his contract (FA) year this year. If we're not in the WC hunt I could definitely see him being dealt at some point.

Welcome, nice first post as I'm also a fan of the Crew and their young talent. I dont know why you guys are blocking Hardy with Koskie, but they will make good platoon partners. As for what you call that WC (I assume you mean Wild Card) I think you have an even shot but still look a year away with your inexperienced infield. Your pitching staff is solid, and your pen as always will come up sith some guys outta nowhere to seal up games. I'm not the biggst fan of Damian Miller, Brady, or Jenkins but besides those three your team has a chance to be a solid playoff contender for the next five years.

Banix12
01-15-2006, 01:46 AM
Welcome, nice first post as I'm also a fan of the Crew and their young talent. I dont know why you guys are blocking Hardy with Koskie, but they will make good platoon partners. As for what you call that WC (I assume you mean Wild Card) I think you have an even shot but still look a year away with your inexperienced infield. Your pitching staff is solid, and your pen as always will come up sith some guys outta nowhere to seal up games. I'm not the biggst fan of Damian Miller, Brady, or Jenkins but besides those three your team has a chance to be a solid playoff contender for the next five years.
Koskie doesn't block Hardy. Hardy plays short. Koskie blocks Hall, who I actually think works better as the supersub anyway. Hall had a good season but I'm not totally sold on him.

I don't think those three are great players but they are solid major leaguers. Miller's bat is nothing special but I always felt he called a good game. I always thought one of the biggest mistakes the cubs made after 2003 was exchanging Miller's Defense for Barrett's offense. Not sure what your issue with Jenkins is. He gets hurt a bit but lately he has been healthy, hits for power, gets on base at a high clip and plays good D. Clark doesn't impress me much with the D but he can hit.