PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Williams Interview on XM Radio

ChiSoxGirl
01-06-2006, 10:51 PM
Driving home from work this afternoon around 3:15p, I put my XM on and flipped through my presets. I went to MLB Homeplate and heard what sounded like Williams' voice on "The Show" with Rob Dibble and Kevin Kennedy, so I went right back to it and sure enough.... Anyone else hear this? I thought it was a great interview! Some of this stuff we knew, and some we didn't. I missed the beginning, but here are some of the highlights:

Extremely proud of his ballclub for what they did in 2005. "We just had 25 hard working, grind-it-out type ballplayers. Everybody genuinely likes each other."
Spoke of how he and PK had a sit-down one day after the World Series before he was inked and Williams came right out and told him he's going to get someone to protect him in the lineup. "Paulie didn't ask who it was, but I flat out told him, 'I want Jim Thome and I'm going to do whatever it takes to get him.'" (I didn't know this and was very impressed by it).
Going along with the acquisition of Thome, KW mentioned that even though Rowand was a great fit on the ballclub, they feel that Brian Anderson is ready. And not to take anything away from Rowand, but Anderson is even stronger defensively than Aaron.
Dibble and Kennedy brought up Brandon McCarthy and if KW feels he's ready. Kenny said that Brandon is ready and will break camp with the team in March. He's glad to have six starters, particularly with the WBC and his starters having gone so deep into October and logging so many innings. If the starting staff is healthy and feels no repercussions from the WBC, McCarthy will go into the 'pen as a middle relief guy, taking the place of Vizcaino, which they feel is an improvement. (Gee, ya think?!)Overall, I thought it was a great interview. Afterwards, Dibble and Kennedy were commenting how KW is such a great GM and it seems like everything he touches these days turns to gold. Ozzie was also mentioned as such a fantastic manager, and that both he and Williams always say what's on their minds- they don't have that cold, "salesman" attitude toward questions that many GMs and managers do. They also mentioned that the World Champion White Sox don't have the type of ballclub that's just going to be good for one year, but have everything in place to be dominating for several years. :bandance:

1951Campbell
01-07-2006, 12:05 AM
Driving home from work this afternoon around 3:15p, I put my XM on and flipped through my presets. I went to MLB Homeplate and heard what sounded like Williams' voice on "The Show" with Rob Dibble and Kevin Kennedy, so I went right back to it and sure enough.... Anyone else hear this? I thought it was a great interview! Some of this stuff we knew, and some we didn't. I missed the beginning, but here are some of the highlights:

Extremely proud of his ballclub for what they did in 2005. "We just had 25 hard working, grind-it-out type ballplayers. Everybody genuinely likes each other."
Spoke of how he and PK had a sit-down one day after the World Series before he was inked and Williams came right out and told him he's going to get someone to protect him in the lineup. "Paulie didn't ask who it was, but I flat out told him, 'I want Jim Thome and I'm going to do whatever it takes to get him.'" (I didn't know this and was very impressed by it).
Going along with the acquisition of Thome, KW mentioned that even though Rowand was a great fit on the ballclub, they feel that Brian Anderson is ready. And not to take anything away from Rowand, but Anderson is even stronger defensively than Aaron.
Dibble and Kennedy brought up Brandon McCarthy and if KW feels he's ready. Kenny said that Brandon is ready and will break camp with the team in March. He's glad to have six starters, particularly with the WBC and his starters having gone so deep into October and logging so many innings. If the starting staff is healthy and feels no repercussions from the WBC, McCarthy will go into the 'pen as a middle relief guy, taking the place of Vizcaino, which they feel is an improvement. (Gee, ya think?!)Overall, I thought it was a great interview. Afterwards, Dibble and Kennedy were commenting how KW is such a great GM and it seems like everything he touches these days turns to gold. Ozzie was also mentioned as such a fantastic manager, and that both he and Williams always say what's on their minds- they don't have that cold, "salesman" attitude toward questions that many GMs and managers do. They also mentioned that the World Champion White Sox don't have the type of ballclub that's just going to be good for one year, but have everything in place to be dominating for several years. :bandance:

The more you hear from KW, the more you have to like the direction of this club.

DieTrying79
01-07-2006, 12:19 AM
Way to make good use of that toy the Sox gave you for Christmas! :D:

dondosae1
01-07-2006, 01:59 AM
I heard it also. Came away real happy with what Kenny had to say.

Did you also hear the interview before it with Rowand? That was pretty good also...he was actually laughing alot through the interview. Apparently, the Rowand and Crede family are together for vacation in Napa Valley. Crede kept messing with Rowand as he was on the phone. It was funny. Aaron said he was sad to go, but he understand the "business" behind it. He als said he felt kind of honored to be traded for a guy like Thome...not a bad day on XM!

Nellie_Fox
01-07-2006, 02:23 AM
I listened to it too. I liked the part where he said he doesn't accept the idea that the Sox will always be the #2 team in town, and believes he can change that.

Dolly
01-07-2006, 03:08 AM

Did you also hear the interview before it with Rowand? That was pretty good also...he was actually laughing alot through the interview. Apparently, the Rowand and Crede family are together for vacation in Napa Valley. Crede kept messing with Rowand as he was on the phone. It was funny. Aaron said he was sad to go, but he understand the "business" behind it. He als said he felt kind of honored to be traded for a guy like Thome...not a bad day on XM!Ah, Aaron... he'll always have a special place in my heart! :(:

Realist
01-07-2006, 06:38 AM
I listened to it too. I liked the part where he said he doesn't accept the idea that the Sox will always be the #2 team in town, and believes he can change that.

I think that has already changed more than people realize. I see Sox stuff everywhere. I work a mere 4 blocks away from the Urinal and I see at least 50% of the people that wear baseball stuff are wearing Sox stuff. Just one year ago that would have been absolutely unheard of.

Really think about that phenomenon. Within a 4 block radius of Wrigley Field, at least 50% of the baseball garb worn is Chicago White Sox stuff. :o:

Keep up the great work, Kenny. Two/tree more championships and it's a landslide.

Hitmen77
01-07-2006, 08:23 AM

.... :bandance:So, I assume then that KW is pretty confident that Thome's back troubles are behind him (no pun intended).

faneidde
01-07-2006, 09:39 AM

Did you also hear the interview before it with Rowand? That was pretty good also...he was actually laughing alot through the interview. Apparently, the Rowand and Crede family are together for vacation in Napa Valley. Crede kept messing with Rowand as he was on the phone. It was funny. Aaron said he was sad to go, but he understand the "business" behind it. He als said he felt kind of honored to be traded for a guy like Thome...not a bad day on XM!
I hope the first time he comes back to the Cell he gets a standing ovation. Doesn't look like the Sox play Philly this year, but I hope everyone remebers that Rowand was a grinder in every sense of the word. Best of luck to you A-Row.

itsnotrequired
01-07-2006, 09:52 AM
I hope the first time he comes back to the Cell he gets a standing ovation. Doesn't look like the Sox play Philly this year, but I hope everyone remebers that Rowand was a grinder in every sense of the word. Best of luck to you A-Row.

No doubt. I can't imagine why he wouldn't get one, even if it is a couple years from now.

GoSox2K3
01-07-2006, 11:39 AM
I think that has already changed more than people realize. I see Sox stuff everywhere. I work a mere 4 blocks away from the Urinal and I see at least 50% of the people that wear baseball stuff are wearing Sox stuff. Just one year ago that would have been absolutely unheard of.

Really think about that phenomenon. Within a 4 block radius of Wrigley Field, at least 50% of the baseball garb worn is Chicago White Sox stuff. :o:

Keep up the great work, Kenny. Two/tree more championships and it's a landslide.

Not to downplay that accomplishment, but I always wondered how full of "die-hard" Cub fans Wrigleyville is since the area is very transient. Most people I know from the area aren't long-time residents - they're just young single 20-somethings that moved there from somewhere else (suburbs, another city) and will probably move out of the area after about 5 years. They go to wrigley because it's near their residence and near their favorite bars, but aren't really big baseball fans.

Sox35th
01-07-2006, 11:55 AM
Not to downplay that accomplishment, but I always wondered how full of "die-hard" Cub fans Wrigleyville is since the area is very transient. Most people I know from the area aren't long-time residents - they're just young single 20-somethings that moved there from somewhere else (suburbs, another city) and will probably move out of the area after about 5 years. They go to wrigley because it's near their residence and near their favorite bars, but aren't really big baseball fans.

You said it!! I live three blocks from Wrigley and thats all you see at the bars and see going into the games is the 20-30 somethings that have moved here from somewhere else. I have about 15 friends that say their Cubs fans, but will also say that they just go to the games to drink and hit the bars.

But, I have seen more and more Sox fans coming out on the northside.

downstairs
01-07-2006, 12:37 PM

This is the crux of many Chicago neighborhoods... and the reasons why over the past 100-ish years the Cubs and Sox have alternated dominance in the city.

EVERY neighborhood is transient, as well nearly every neighborhood evolves quickly from ghetto to hipster neighborhood and back again.

Wrigleyville will be a "bad" neighborhood again soon. It just happens. All the Cubs have is their neighborhood.

Soxski71
01-07-2006, 01:30 PM
You said it!! I live three blocks from Wrigley and thats all you see at the bars and see going into the games is the 20-30 somethings that have moved here from somewhere else. I have about 15 friends that say their Cubs fans, but will also say that they just go to the games to drink and hit the bars.

I live deep behind enemy lines as well and have noticed more and more Sox fans coming out. I remember just last season when some Cubs fan told me to "go back to the ghetto, you south side trash", all because I was wearing my Sox hat around the neighborhood. I was going to pound his face in, but there were 5 of them and one of me. :angry:

Anyway, I just recently stopped at the local Walgreens to pick up a prescription. I was wearing my Sox 2005 playoffs hoody and I saw some dude with a Cubs hat on. He took one look at me and put his head down in shame, it was a beautiful thing. :D:

FarWestChicago
01-07-2006, 02:56 PM
I remember just last season when some Cubs fan told me to "go back to the ghetto, you south side trash", all because I was wearing my Sox hat around the neighborhood. I was going to pound his face in, but there were 5 of them and one of me. :angry: Not to mention that you would have been behaving like "south side trash". :rolleyes:

ChiFabulous1
01-07-2006, 02:58 PM
Did they ask kw why he traded mags again?

Martinigirl
01-07-2006, 03:20 PM

Having lived in that neighborhood for a longtime myself, you realize that the vast majority of "Cub" fans are there because it is trendy. Going to a game there is something they think of as cool to do, and even better to tell people you did. It has very little, if anything, to do with baseball.

And now that the Sox won the World Series, we are suddenly trendy. So, I am sure, you will see more and more Sox apparel on people who don't know a baseball from a basketball, but they can tell you all the drink specials, from memory, at HiTops.

Fuller_Schettman
01-07-2006, 03:27 PM
This is the crux of many Chicago neighborhoods... and the reasons why over the past 100-ish years the Cubs and Sox have alternated dominance in the city.

EVERY neighborhood is transient, as well nearly every neighborhood evolves quickly from ghetto to hipster neighborhood and back again.

Wrigleyville will be a "bad" neighborhood again soon. It just happens. All the Cubs have is their neighborhood.

So when does Englewood get their turn? :?:

Bobbo35
01-07-2006, 04:33 PM

That sounded like a great interview, wish I could of heard it.
There was no mention of any more possible aquisitions?

SOXSINCE'70
01-07-2006, 04:35 PM

2 or " 'Tree"??
Hell,I need at least an 8 peat,my Friend.:D: :D:
I'm being sarcastic here.
DAMMIT!!! MY TEAL COLOR INDICATOR
WON'T APPEAR ON MY SCREEN!!!!:angry: :angry:

Realist
01-07-2006, 09:27 PM
2 or " 'Tree"??
Hell,I need at least an 8 peat,my Friend.:D: :D:
I'm being sarcastic here.
DAMMIT!!! MY TEAL COLOR INDICATOR
WON'T APPEAR ON MY SCREEN!!!!:angry: :angry:

An 8 peat? Guhferyou... guhferme... guhfereverybody!! :bandance:

Realist
01-07-2006, 09:32 PM
I live deep behind enemy lines as well and have noticed more and more Sox fans coming out. I remember just last season when some Cubs fan told me to "go back to the ghetto, you south side trash", all because I was wearing my Sox hat around the neighborhood. I was going to pound his face in, but there were 5 of them and one of me. :angry:

One of the benefits of being a big scarey lookin' dude is that when they say stuff like that to me, I look the guy square in the eye and say, "Why? Are you gonna hit me with your purse. Sally?" :cool:

Nellie_Fox
01-08-2006, 01:58 AM
I was thinking about the resurgence of Sox fandom (note that I said resurgence; the Sox owned the town for virtually all of my youth) Friday night when I was watching Letterman. He was playing "Know Your Current Events" in the audience, and one of the participants was "Mark" from Elk Grove Village. He was sporting a Sox fleece. I would usually think of Elk Grove Village as Cubs country.

Scottiehaswheels
01-08-2006, 02:07 AM
I was thinking about the resurgence of Sox fandom (note that I said resurgence; the Sox owned the town for virtually all of my youth) Friday night when I was watching Letterman. He was playing "Know Your Current Events" in the audience, and one of the participants was "Mark" from Elk Grove Village. He was sporting a Sox fleece. I would usually think of Elk Grove Village as Cubs country.

I saw that too but had the sound up on another TV cuz I was watching a movie or something here at work.... My girlfriend was watching though and told me what the guy said... I liked how Dave pointed it out though.... By the way he was standing you couldn't really see the emblem but as soon as I saw him on the TV I knew it was a Sox shirt

Nellie_Fox
01-08-2006, 03:00 AM
By the way he was standing you couldn't really see the emblem but as soon as I saw him on the TV I knew it was a Sox shirtI guess that's the advantage of my new hi-def TV :D:. It was clearly a Sox logo in hi-def, and yeah, Dave did point it out.

RallyBowl
01-08-2006, 03:58 PM
:crossdresser

I'm tired of reading about the ****ing cubs in every other thread.