PDA

View Full Version : Why don't we trade for a need?

Sox-o-matic
01-06-2006, 09:24 PM
While Tejada would be nice, we do not have an immediate need for him. In fact, of all of our position players, it would seem to me that Crede would be the one that it would make the most sense to upgrade because of his back issues. If there were rumors about the Sox revisiting a Chavez deal or something like that it would be different, but Tejada I just don't understand.

Right now we need a couple of arms in the bullpen, not just to fill a couple of holes left by mediocre pitchers, but to further strengthen the back end of our bullpen and to provide insurance against Hermanson's back and the possibility of one or more of Cotts/Politte/Jenks, who all broke out last year, regressing. I'm just throwing this out there, but the Angels need some starting pitching and they have a few guys in their bullpen that I'd love to have, especially Escobar.

IMO, if we trade one of our SPs it should either be for one or two arms out of the bullpen or a third baseman. I don't think our offense will have trouble scoring runs but I can see our bullpen having trouble holding leads without a couple more arms out there that can set up or close. Thoughts?

RKMeibalane
01-06-2006, 09:37 PM
While Tejada would be nice, we do not have an immediate need for him. In fact, of all of our position players, it would seem to me that Crede would be the one that it would make the most sense to upgrade because of his back issues. If there were rumors about the Sox revisiting a Chavez deal or something like that it would be different, but Tejada I just don't understand.

Right now we need a couple of arms in the bullpen, not just to fill a couple of holes left by mediocre pitchers, but to further strengthen the back end of our bullpen and to provide insurance against Hermanson's back and the possibility of one or more of Cotts/Politte/Jenks, who all broke out last year, regressing. I'm just throwing this out there, but the Angels need some starting pitching and they have a few guys in their bullpen that I'd love to have, especially Escobar.

IMO, if we trade one of our SPs it should either be for one or two arms out of the bullpen or a third baseman. I don't think our offense will have trouble scoring runs but I can see our bullpen having trouble holding leads without a couple more arms out there that can set up or close. Thoughts?

The Sox traded for a backup for Crede when they got Mackowiak. Ken Williams has done what he needed to do this offseason, and he will probably try to do something else before it's time for ST. The Sox have things under control.

Banix12
01-06-2006, 09:56 PM

If the Angels need a starting pitcher, why not just move Escobar back into the rotation? I think that's the move they are leaning toward. He was only in the bullpen at the end of last season because he had the injury and they didn't want to immediately tax his arm. Angels I believe are still mostly looking for another hitter before they get another pitcher.

Right now there are really only two needs on the sox. A second lefty reliever and a 4th OF. As far as lefty relievers are concerned there really aren't any good ones available right now through trade as far as I know. And a backup OF isn't worth trading quality major league players for.

SABRSox
01-06-2006, 09:58 PM
If the Angels need a starting pitcher, why not just move Escobar back into the rotation? I think that's the move they are leaning toward. He was only in the bullpen at the end of last season because he had the injury and they didn't want to immediately tax his arm. Angels I believe are still mostly looking for another hitter before they get another pitcher.

Right now there are really only two needs on the sox. A second lefty reliever and a 4th OF. As far as lefty relievers are concerned there really aren't any good ones available right now through trade as far as I know. And a backup OF isn't worth trading quality major league players for.

Escobar will be starting next season. A major reason why they did not re-sign either Washburn or Byrd.

The other reason is that they have a farm system loaded with pitching talent (and talent at about every other position as well.)

Banix12
01-06-2006, 10:13 PM
Escobar will be starting next season. A major reason why they did not re-sign either Washburn or Byrd.

The other reason is that they have a farm system loaded with pitching talent (and talent at about every other position as well.)

Yeah. Looking at their roster they shouldn't have a problem finding another starter at #5. I'm thinking Chris Bootcheck or Kevin Gregg will take that spot.

Stroker Ace
01-06-2006, 11:07 PM
Ummm, I don't see any trades we need to make. The only trade I could see the Sox making is for some outfield insurance to be on the safe side if someone goes down, but that isn't a top priority.

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-07-2006, 12:21 AM
Trading for Chavez would be a downgrade at 3B. Look at the difference in their F%.

Crede:
F%: .971

Chavez:
F%: .966

Banix12
01-07-2006, 12:37 AM
Trading for Chavez would be a downgrade at 3B. Look at the difference in their F%.

Crede:

Chavez:

There is absolutely no point in revisting this discussion. A trade isn't going to happen. It probably will never happen. There aren't even any rumors right now of a Chavez trade happening.

soxruleEP
01-07-2006, 09:53 AM

Crede:

Chavez:

If this is your back-up that Chavez is a "downgrade" from Crede, you aren't paying attention.

F% is a very poor indicator of defensive ability. Royce Clayton is the best exemplar of that--the reason having been discussed in great depth.

If Crede is healthy, he might have an edge on defense--but not much. Chavez has demonstrated a much greater offensive consistancy in his career. Overall, chavez is an ungrade.

However, this trade is not going to happen. They just signed him to a relatively long term deal. The A's don't trade players like that.

We have a solid back-up in Rob M.

Sox-o-matic
01-07-2006, 10:07 AM
I'm not saying we should trade for Chavez, I was citing that as an example of a move that would make more sense than a Uribe trade since Crede has back issues. And I'm not trying to start trade rumors saying that we should make trades with LAAA either, just trying to get the point across that we don't need to upgrade at SS when there are other areas to address.

I can't understand all the Tejada rumors because if we are going to trade one of our starting pitchers and weaken our team in one area to strengthen another, the area we should strengthen should be a weak link, not a strong point. IMO our bullpen should be addressed not with some minor league invitees but rather one or two solid veterans that can get the job done. I hope everything works out next year, but we are relying on Cotts and Politte being as dominating as they were, Hermanson getting healthy, and Jenks staying healthy and throwing strikes. I think that should be priority no. 1, but if instead KW would rather use his SP depth to solidify a position, I think 3B would be the one to solidify since Fields still has a way to go and Crede has his problems staying healthy.

Basically, I think we are in good shape to repeat right now. I just think we'd be better off keeping Jose unless something becomes available that would make us better in the areas mentioned.

Sox-o-matic
01-07-2006, 10:10 AM
The Sox traded for a backup for Crede when they got Mackowiak. Ken Williams has done what he needed to do this offseason, and he will probably try to do something else before it's time for ST. The Sox have things under control.

Mackowiak is a backup for just about everybody. I would imagine that even if Crede were 100% healthy the Mackowiak move still would have happened.

SOXintheBURGH
01-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Mackoviak is a backup for just about everybody. I would imagine that even if Crede were 100% healthy the Mackoviak move still would have happened.

Mackowiak.

The "w" is pronounced with a "v," in the old European style.

Sox-o-matic
01-07-2006, 10:17 AM
Mackowiak.

My bad. I know that but i was typing fast. Fixing it...

pmck003
01-07-2006, 11:57 AM
While Tejada would be nice, we do not have an immediate need for him. In fact, of all of our position players, it would seem to me that Crede would be the one that it would make the most sense to upgrade because of his back issues....IMO, if we trade one of our SPs it should either be for one or two arms out of the bullpen or a third baseman.

At philly.com there is an article that mentions a possible Abreu for Tejada trade. The author speculates that Tejada would move to third, but notes that Tejada has never played there and may not agree to the move.

RallyBowl
01-07-2006, 01:02 PM
Ummmm, all we really NEED is a long relief LH, so that kind narrows down who we can trade and trade for. Which is why I wish all the damn trade speculation threads would stop. And your "Trading for a need" idea is great, Only one problem-

/teal/ Kenny Williams thought of it before you did. /teal/

RowanDye
01-07-2006, 02:08 PM
Overall, chavez is an ungrade.

Please elaborate, I am not familiar with your terminology. :redneck

caulfield12
01-07-2006, 02:15 PM
Ummmm, all we really NEED is a long relief LH, so that kind narrows down who we can trade and trade for. Which is why I wish all the damn trade speculation threads would stop. And your "Trading for a need" idea is great, Only one problem-

/teal/ Kenny Williams thought of it before you did. /teal/

Right now, that LH relief slot is going to McCarthy as things currently stand.

batmanZoSo
01-07-2006, 02:22 PM
Mackowiak.

You should taper that penchant for pedantry lest you look like a fastidious jerk to some. :o::cool:

RallyBowl
01-07-2006, 03:17 PM
Right now, that LH relief slot is going to McCarthy as things currently stand.

Yeah, uh, he throws right handed. Although I suppose it would be awesome if he could be the first LH and RH out of the pen. My teal button is broke.

Banix12
01-07-2006, 03:28 PM
Yeah, uh, he throws right handed. Although I suppose it would be awesome if he could be the first LH and RH out of the pen. My teal button is broke.

I think what he meant was that slot where a Left Handed reliever would fit in is currently filled the sixth starting pitcher. Which probably isn't entirely accurate since I would think McCarthy would take the slot which has been vacated by Vizcaino instead of the second lefty slot. However I'm betting he forgot about that slot, I mean it is so easy to forget about Vizcaino.

So right now the bullpen appears to be
Jenks
Politte
Hermanson
Cotts
McCarthy
Mystery Lefthander

RallyBowl
01-07-2006, 03:33 PM
I think what he meant was that slot where a Left Handed reliever would fit in is currently filled the sixth starting pitcher. Which probably isn't entirely accurate since I would think McCarthy would take the slot which has been vacated by Vizcaino instead of the second lefty slot. However I'm betting he forgot about that slot, I mean it is so easy to forget about Vizcaino.

Your right, it isn't entirely accurate, or accurate at all because a right handed pitcher cannot really take the spot of a left handed pitcher. The point of my original post was that the only thing we NEED is a left hander for the pen. He said Brandon would be that guy, so I assume he was saying we don't need another left hander.Which is also not accurate at all.

Banix12
01-07-2006, 03:42 PM
Your right, it isn't entirely accurate, or accurate at all because a right handed pitcher cannot really take the spot of a left handed pitcher. The point of my original post was that the only thing we NEED is a left hander for the pen. He said Brandon would be that guy, so I assume he was saying we don't need another left hander.Which is also not accurate at all.

I just took it as he thought the bullpen was full right now and that McCarthy was taking that last spot. Which is completely false but I'll let Caulfield defend his own gaffe.

SOXSINCE'70
01-07-2006, 05:01 PM
Ken Williams has done what he needed to do this offseason, and he will probably try to do something else before it's time for ST. The Sox have things under control.

Watch him comb the waiver wire once ST starts.:cool:

RedPinStripes
01-07-2006, 05:26 PM
I'm not worried. Everything we have come opening is what we'll need. "In Kenny I trust":tongue:

Tragg
01-07-2006, 11:06 PM
I think we'll see a Kenny Williams special between now and ST; trade someone like Gload for an unknown who becomes a bullpen stud southpaw.