PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Simmons is dumb

Milw
01-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Milwaukee Bucks forward Bobby Simmons, on his baseball allegiance:

"Well, I grew up on the South Side of Chicago, so I was a Sox fan, but then I went to DePaul, North Side, so I kinda had to be a Cubs fan. Didn't have any transportation down to Sox Park, you know."

Dude. It's called the L. :rolleyes:

1951Campbell
01-06-2006, 09:51 PM

"Well, I grew up on the South Side of Chicago, so I was a Sox fan, but then I went to DePaul, North Side, so I kinda had to be a Cubs fan. Didn't have any transportation down to Sox Park, you know."

Lame.

MUsoxfan
01-06-2006, 09:56 PM

I think I heard if he didn't go to DePaul, he was gonna go to Harvard

samram
01-06-2006, 10:00 PM
So, he grew up on the South Side and went to school on the North Side. Somehow he got there, but couldn't get back? Ha. Perhaps he hasn't seen his parents since leaving for college. Of course, he's on my fantasy team, so I hope his dumbass averages 20 for the rest of the season.:D:

RKMeibalane
01-06-2006, 10:08 PM

This has to stop. The Flubseessed have taken the baton from the Dark Clouds, who took it from the FOLIP. Every year, this board has to contend with a new contingent of psychos. The Flubsessed seem to be the 2006 version of the psychos.

1951Campbell
01-06-2006, 10:25 PM
This has to stop. The Flubseessed have taken the baton from the Dark Clouds, who took it from the FOLIP. Every year, this board has to contend with a new contingent of psychos. The Flubsessed seem to be the 2006 version of the psychos.

To be fair, the torch-carrying mobs bent on ferreting out and commenting ad nauseum on each and every post that could even be semi-plausibly construed as Dark Cloud, FOLIP, or Flubsessed are a cure worse than the disease.

We've all got an ignore list at our disposal. Use it. It's better than 38 posts along the lines of "OMG u are teh Flubsessed!!!!!!!!!!!1111" at every mention of Chicago (NL).

I'm not picking on you RKM, it's just something I've been mulling for a while. :redface:

RKMeibalane
01-06-2006, 10:36 PM
To be fair, the torch-carrying mobs bent on ferreting out and commenting ad nauseum on each and every post that could even be semi-plausibly construed as Dark Cloud, FOLIP, or Flubsessed are a cure worse than the disease.

We've all got an ignore list at our disposal. Use it. It's better than 38 posts along the lines of "OMG u are teh Flubsessed!!!!!!!!!!!1111" at every mention of Chicago (NL).

I'm not picking on you RKM, it's just something I've been mulling for a while. :redface:

I understand. I'm just dissapointed that people can't just enjoy the Sox success and not worry about the Cubs. The Sox are champions. That's something the Cubs will never experience again. Knowing that is enough for me to ignore the North Side team.

Milw
01-06-2006, 10:42 PM
I understand. I'm just dissapointed that people can't just enjoy the Sox success and not worry about the Cubs. The Sox are champions. That's something the Cubs will never experience again. Knowing that is enough for me to ignore the North Side team.
I was watching the Bucks-Bulls game and the interview made me chuckle. Thus, I made a post in What's the Score, which is devoted solely to such meaningless crap. If you don't want to read about meaningless crap, you don't have to go into What's the Score.

Settle down, I'm enjoying the championship as much as anybody.

Corlose 15
01-06-2006, 10:43 PM
I was under the impression that that was the reason we have Whats the Score.

TaylorStSox
01-06-2006, 11:10 PM
Are you kidding? There's some great posters on this board. It's a great board, but there's always been a heavy "flubsessed" element. In fact, they had to dedicate a forum to Cubs talk. The mods have done a great job to combat it. Though, I'd bet there's a few posters who've typed Cubs (or one of their brilliantly witty nicknames) more than Sox.

Generally, it's one of the things that's always embarrassed me about my fellow Sox fans.

1951Campbell
01-07-2006, 12:45 AM
Are you kidding? There's some great posters on this board. It's a great board, but there's always been a heavy "flubsessed" element. In fact, they had to dedicate a forum to Cubs talk. The mods have done a great job to combat it. Though, I'd bet there's a few posters who've typed Cubs (or one of their brilliantly witty nicknames) more than Sox.

Generally, it's one of the things that's always embarrassed me about my fellow Sox fans.

To put it another way...ever notice how often Da Bears' Super Fans here bring up the Packers? Somehow, they don't get tagged as "Packsessed", even though some of the same folks are self-appointed Flubsession Police.

I'm just sayin'...don't be hatin', if you see crap posts, just move on. I hate soccer. Now, how often do you see me going into all the soccer threads to rip on folks and bitch and moan? Never.

I guess my minor point is, the Flubsessed and the Flubsessed Police need to both chill.

HotelWhiteSox
01-07-2006, 02:19 AM
To put it another way...ever notice how often Da Bears' Super Fans here bring up the Packers? Somehow, they don't get tagged as "Packsessed", even though some of the same folks are self-appointed Flubsession Police.

I'm just sayin'...don't be hatin', if you see crap posts, just move on. I hate soccer. Now, how often do you see me going into all the soccer threads to rip on folks and bitch and moan? Never.

I guess my minor point is, the Flubsessed and the Flubsessed Police need to both chill.

I agree in that it comes with every rivalry. Talk to a Red Sox or Yankee fan (or go to a board) and they will relate everything to the other. I think it gets magnifyed here with both teams in the same town and best friends and families sharing different allegiances, especially with the Cubune in town and how the local media tries to shove it down everyone's throat while the national media eats it up. It's nice to say 'we don't care', but it's hard to ignore it, so Sox fans jump on the chances they get to expose the other side of town. I agree that the people who care about the Flubs more than the Sox (like posting about something in their game while the Sox game is on) do need to take a look in the mirror, but when news is reported on them or Sox fans poke fun at them it does make them less of a Sox fan or happy about the world championship.

When a Cub fan pokes fan at the Sox or their fans, the media seems to laugh or back them up, but when it's the other way around, Sox fans care about the Flubs more than their own team. I personally don't care any more about them than any other ML team that doesn't play on the South Side, and think the championship has ended the big competition that seemed to exist, but it's annoying to hear 'that team in Chicago won so this means next year is the Cubs' year' as opposed to 'OMG the White Sox won the World Series!'. I should point out, I think all the media bias and stuff like that has been much improved since October and it doesn't bother me anymore, but there's still some idiots around.

Domeshot17
01-07-2006, 04:11 AM
Here is the problem with all these arguements. It seems like the "flubsessed" are relishing more in the fact that the cubs DIDNT win the world series than they are with the fact we did. If the bears win the superbowl this year, will it be any sweeter because the pack had a bad year, not at all. The bottom line is the cubs had nothing to do with our championship, they are in the lump of the rest of baseball as non champions for the year. And when we spend more time on the cubs than the sox, it makes all sox fans go down a level.

I mean yes, I think all of us, or majority, have had cubs fans friends relatives co workers etc give us crap about winning the series, so we can talk it up to them. But Because Bobby Simmons switched hats years ago at depaul shouldnt really light a fire under us.

You want to see Cubs fans really hurt, dont come here and preach to the choir, just pray that when they deal patterson, he turns out to be the next Lou Brock

RallyBowl
01-07-2006, 01:26 PM
:crossdresser

1951Campbell
01-07-2006, 01:32 PM
If the bears win the superbowl this year, will it be any sweeter because the pack had a bad year, not at all.

http://www.oceanparkgazette.org/images/shovelaward_oct26.jpg

You get a Golden Shovel Award for that one.

peeonwrigley
01-07-2006, 01:40 PM
But Because Bobby Simmons switched hats years ago at depaul shouldnt really light a fire under us.

I think the whole point of the thread was to bust on the kid for saying there is no transportation to Sox Park from DePaul... when the Red Line stops smack dab in the middle of the Lincoln Park campus.

No one really cares for whom he cheers... at least that's what I got out of it.

SOXintheBURGH
01-07-2006, 02:40 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c55/ZoSoKarl/nobody_cares2.jpg

shes
01-07-2006, 02:45 PM
I grew up a Sox fan and go to DePaul now. Somehow I've manage to stay a palehose fan, despite the arduous 15-minute L ride that costs $0 for us DePaul students. I don't know how I've done it.

[If you need the teal, God help ya :D:]

Milw
01-07-2006, 03:55 PM
I think the whole point of the thread was to bust on the kid for saying there is no transportation to Sox Park from DePaul... when the Red Line stops smack dab in the middle of the Lincoln Park campus.

No one really cares for whom he cheers... at least that's what I got out of it.

Thank you. At least somebody here doesn't see a damn conspiracy in every post that so much as mentions the Cubs. :rolleyes:

Fenway
01-07-2006, 04:00 PM

http://www.chicago-l.org/stations/images/thumbnails/Howard/fullerton_signSB-subway-t.jpg

http://www.chicago-l.org/multimedia/sounds/automated/Fullerton.wav

TaylorStSox
01-07-2006, 04:12 PM
I agree in that it comes with every rivalry. Talk to a Red Sox or Yankee fan (or go to a board) and they will relate everything to the other. I think it gets magnifyed here with both teams in the same town and best friends and families sharing different allegiances, especially with the Cubune in town and how the local media tries to shove it down everyone's throat while the national media eats it up. It's nice to say 'we don't care', but it's hard to ignore it, so Sox fans jump on the chances they get to expose the other side of town. I agree that the people who care about the Flubs more than the Sox (like posting about something in their game while the Sox game is on) do need to take a look in the mirror, but when news is reported on them or Sox fans poke fun at them it does make them less of a Sox fan or happy about the world championship.

When a Cub fan pokes fan at the Sox or their fans, the media seems to laugh or back them up, but when it's the other way around, Sox fans care about the Flubs more than their own team. I personally don't care any more about them than any other ML team that doesn't play on the South Side, and think the championship has ended the big competition that seemed to exist, but it's annoying to hear 'that team in Chicago won so this means next year is the Cubs' year' as opposed to 'OMG the White Sox won the World Series!'. I should point out, I think all the media bias and stuff like that has been much improved since October and it doesn't bother me anymore, but there's still some idiots around.

How are the Cubs our rival? They don't even play in the same freakin' league.

SoxFan76
01-07-2006, 04:45 PM

Yeah, they play in the same city.

It's called a rivalry. We can rip on the Packers, Pistons, Red Wings, Twins, and Indians...yet we can't talk about the Cubs. Do some people get carried away? Yeah, but oh well. Ignore them. The Cubs are a big part of Chicago sports and there's no way of avoiding it. How are we not supposed to talk about them when they dominate the headlines all season until the playoffs? Not to mention they play 8 miles north.

RadioheadRocks
01-07-2006, 08:27 PM
I look at it this way... given the futility of both teams over the years, Cub fan/Sox fan arguments were interesting in how each fan would justify their loyalty over the other and also provided for some interesting and sometimes wacky arguments. Now that we have a World Series Championship under our belts, there really is no "edge" or "drama" anymore... now it's like shooting fish in a barrel!

SoxFan76
01-07-2006, 09:29 PM
I look at it this way... given the futility of both teams over the years, Cub fan/Sox fan arguments were interesting in how each fan would justify their loyalty over the other and also provided for some interesting and sometimes wacky arguments. Now that we have a World Series Championship under our belts, there really is no "edge" or "drama" anymore... now it's like shooting fish in a barrel!

I completely agree. Cub fans have NOTHING on us now. Not one thing. But come on, they're still the Cubs and the majority of their fan base still consists of mindless drones (in a baseball sense) flocking to a below average stadium to watch a below average team that a below average front office put together that's managed by a below average manager.

We have a World Series, they have Ivy.

But ya know what, the Cubs are part of life for a baseball fan in Chicago. It is unavoidable.

Hangar18
01-09-2006, 09:28 AM

This isnt "flubsessed", and thats why this is in a separate section .......:angry:
Every year, a group of people appear to want to influence what other people are talking/thinking about. WSI put a separate section here for that. If I dont like a subject/thread started here, I simply dont post in it. People waste more time commenting on whats "wrong" with the thread (ironically bringing more attention to it in the first place) instead of taking the time to bring up something interesting to talk about. The funny thing is, some of the most widely read, heavily posted threads are flub related. We cant ignore them, that stupid team is intertwined with us, every MLB WS Video I watch, every talk show on tv, every commercial on the radio, the SOX even finally acknowledge them (US vs Them campaign, which arguably has become the most POPULAR ad campaign in sox history). Jay Leno and David Letterman acknowledged this, we have about as real and intense rivalry as you can imagine. "Yeah but you dont see them having separate threads on their boards making fun of us". You know why?
THEY CANT!!!!!!!!!!!! Flub fans have NOTHING On SOX fans. Thats the way it is, and always has been.

And for the record, Bobby Simmons' excuse is TERRIBLE. Hes not that smart, then again, thats why he never finished at DePaul

Hangar18
01-09-2006, 09:32 AM
I also went DePaul and that didnt stop me from being a SOX FAN my whole time there. SIMMONS = LAME

Hagan
01-09-2006, 09:34 AM
Give Bobby Simmons a break. He was coached by pat kennedy which will mess anyone's mind up.

Hangar18
01-09-2006, 09:40 AM

When did this all start? The concept that making fun of the Cubs means one is not enjoying the SOX Championship? When?

Hangar18
01-09-2006, 09:41 AM

Jerry Reinsdorf believed this once too ........... and paid DEARLY for this mistake ever since. Acknowledge your enemies.

PaulDrake
01-09-2006, 10:19 AM
As long as the Sox and cubs play in Chicago there will be this intense rivalry and all that entails. As for me, this will be my 50th season as a Sox fan, and I'm enjoying it more than words can explain. The whole experience is so much better than even I thought it could be. Not only that, but the cute adorable ones look like they are headed for 1950s style irrelevance. So sad isn't it? If a few Sox fans want to comment on how a college education was wasted on a certain DePaul player then what's the big deal?

Rocky Soprano
01-09-2006, 10:24 AM
Jerry Reinsdorf believed this once too ........... and paid DEARLY for this mistake ever since. Acknowledge your enemies.

Pot.Kettle.Black.

slavko
01-09-2006, 11:29 PM
I also went DePaul and that didnt stop me from being a SOX FAN my whole time there. SIMMONS = LAME

He was there a year and went to the pro's. (right?) That doesn't make him Einstein. Four years there didn't make me Einstein.

NSSoxFan
01-09-2006, 11:30 PM
He was there a year and went to the pro's. (right?) That doesn't make him Einstein. Four years there didn't make me Einstein.

Bobby was at DePaul for three years.

slavko
01-09-2006, 11:48 PM
Bobby was at DePaul for three years.

My bad. I plead contemporary insanity.