PDA

View Full Version : props to Brandon McCarthy

JermaineDye05
01-06-2006, 08:24 PM
Some scouts already have ranked McCarthy's changeup near the top of all pitchers in the American League. It was his change and a change in the arm slot on his delivery that led the 22-year-old to a 3-1 record with a 1.69 ERA during his final seven appearances. That showing included 14 2/3 shutout innings in starts on the road at Texas and Boston, the AL's top two offensive teams

per mlb.com

I really hope McCarthy is in the rotation next season I just can't wait to see more starts by him, especially more like that one against boston he was filthy that day

Malgar 12
01-06-2006, 08:31 PM
per mlb.com

I really hope McCarthy is in the rotation next season I just can't wait to see more starts by him, especially more like that one against boston he was filthy that day

Did he forget to shower?

CLR01
01-06-2006, 08:36 PM
Did he forget to shower?

That and the bat boys didn't have enough time to clean the uniforms.

SOXintheBURGH
01-06-2006, 08:37 PM
It's only a matter of time until Brandon McCarthy becomes a South Side Legend. :cool:

buehrle4cy05
01-06-2006, 08:45 PM
You can't compare what Bmac did in May and June to what he did in August and September because he used his changeup late in the year. He's going to be great if he consistently throws his change for strikes.

Exit_Only
01-06-2006, 08:47 PM
He needs 20 lbs.

ChiSoxLifer
01-06-2006, 09:06 PM
He needs 20 lbs.

Why? Who will he be tackling? Jack McDowell was a pretty good stick figure on the mound for awhile.

Ol' No. 2
01-06-2006, 09:10 PM
He needs 20 lbs.I saw him batting against the Cubs that day in Wrigley. When he stood sideways, he almost disappeared.

1951Campbell
01-06-2006, 09:23 PM
It's only a matter of time until Brandon McCarthy becomes a South Side Legend. :cool:

Here's hopin'.

soxinem1
01-06-2006, 09:56 PM
Here's hopin'.

I agree, but remember how dominant McDowell and Kip Wells were when they both first came up. Black Jack went from 3-0 to 5-10, and Wells went from 4-1 to 6-9, and all of them feature similar builds, stuff, and beginnings. It is all a matter of confidence and making adjustments.

So if the kid struggles a little here and there, let's give him some slack. We did for Contreras and Garland.

Corlose 15
01-06-2006, 10:40 PM
I agree, but remember how dominant McDowell and Kip Wells were when they both first came up. Black Jack went from 3-0 to 5-10, and Wells went from 4-1 to 6-9, and all of them feature similar builds, stuff, and beginnings. It is all a matter of confidence and making adjustments.

So if the kid struggles a little here and there, let's give him some slack. We did for Contreras and Garland.

We did?

SoxSpeed22
01-06-2006, 10:52 PM
We did?Winning shortens bad memories. I don't mean bad as in lousy, but unpleasant.

Sox-o-matic
01-06-2006, 11:00 PM
We did?

I never really got down on Contreras because everytime he went out there, even when he struggled, you could tell that he'd be one hell of a pitcher if he ever put it all together. Jose at his worst was still lightyears better than Danny Wright.

Hitmen77
01-07-2006, 12:19 AM
What year and what round was McCarthy drafted? Did he pitch for a college before then?

Maybe it's because I don't follow the Sox minors as closely as others, but it seemed to me like he came out of nowhere and burst on the scene last spring training.

Dolly
01-07-2006, 04:14 AM
I saw him batting against the Cubs that day in Wrigley. When he stood sideways, he almost disappeared.It's easier to sneak up on his enemies that way. :tongue:

The Racehorse
01-07-2006, 04:24 AM
He needs 20 lbs.

I'd be more than happy to give him 20 of mine.

soxinem1
01-07-2006, 08:43 AM
We did?

Well, okay, in this case I meant 'we' being the team gave them slack. My bust, bad choice of phrasing. But I'd hate to see them jerk him around from SP to RP, then expect him to be great everytime or get optioned to AAA.

As far as Contreras (which would also apply to Garland) we could see the good stuff, but 3-1 counts and balls sailing in the stands were all too common. But they were still sent out there every turn. Hopefully with their recent success, JG and JC have learned how to pitch, and that raw talent does not win games alone.

Lprof
01-08-2006, 12:23 AM
per mlb.com

I really hope McCarthy is in the rotation next season I just can't wait to see more starts by him, especially more like that one against boston he was filthy that dayThat brings up the question about trading Contreras; if we can get something that will help us this year for him, we should do it. It really looks like McCarthy is ready.

LuvSox
01-08-2006, 12:26 AM
He needs 20 lbs.

There's got to be somebody here that will give him 20 of theirs.

doublem23
01-08-2006, 01:47 AM
I would personally like to see him take the Jon Garland road and spend a year in the bullpen/as insurance.

The Racehorse
01-08-2006, 07:56 AM

See post #16 of this thread. :wink:

California Sox
01-08-2006, 10:59 AM
What year and what round was McCarthy drafted? Did he pitch for a college before then?

Maybe it's because I don't follow the Sox minors as closely as others, but it seemed to me like he came out of nowhere and burst on the scene last spring training.

McCarthy was a 2002 17th round pick out of a Colorado JC. He was taken one round later than Daniel Haigwood who we recently traded to get Thome, so it was a productive late first day in the draft. BMac has been a very good prospect since signing. He led the AZL in strikeouts in rookie ball. In the Appalachain league he also led in Ks. In 2004 he tore through three levels, leading all minor leaguers in Ks and impressing more and more as he went up the ladder. Coming into Spring last year, he was one of the Sox top prospects.

The Wall
01-08-2006, 01:14 PM
McCarthy was a 2002 17th round pick out of a Colorado JC. He was taken one round later than Daniel Haigwood who we recently traded to get Thome, so it was a productive late first day in the draft. BMac has been a very good prospect since signing. He led the AZL in strikeouts in rookie ball. In the Appalachain league he also led in Ks. In 2004 he tore through three levels, leading all minor leaguers in Ks and impressing more and more as he went up the ladder. Coming into Spring last year, he was one of the Sox top prospects.
And when he didnt make the team out of ST, Coop said he didnt know what to tell BMac to go work on in the minors.

SOXSINCE'70
01-08-2006, 01:22 PM

If The Racehorse isn't good enough,i'll gladly donate
20 pounds to Brandon McCarthy.:D: :D:

Hitmen77
01-10-2006, 09:16 PM

Did he forget to shower?

I read this a couple of days ago and I was chuckling about your response again today. :roflmao:

I guess that explains why Ozzie instituted his "mandatory bathing" policy near the end of the season. :tongue: