PDA

View Full Version : Reinsdorf's Rare feat

IronFisk
01-06-2006, 04:42 PM
Didn't know if this was posted before (I actually did a brief search, and didn't see it - so EASY on me!).

From USA Today on 10/27 (someone threw this in my office just the other day - they must know something :rolleyes: ) ...

"The (title) ended 88 years of frustration for the franchise, and landed Reinsdorf in one of the sport's most elite ownership clubs as only the THIRD owner to have teams win championships in two of the four major professional leagues. Bill Davidson's 2003-04 NBA Detroit Pistons and NHL's Tampa Bay Lightning won titles. And Jack Kent Cooke owned the Los Angeles Lakers when they won the NBA title in 1972 and the Washington Redskins when they won NFL titles in 1992, 1988 and 1983."

Methinks Jerry should make a play for the Blackhawks and go for the unprecidented THREE-PEAT!

JoeyCora28
01-06-2006, 04:48 PM
:dollarbill:

Only after I've taken every nickel from the suckers who show up to watch now...

DaleJRFan
01-06-2006, 04:48 PM

Only after I've taken every nickel from the suckers who show up to watch now...

I don't know why I find this post so funny, but the smile on Uncle Bill's face and the "I'll take every nickel..." quote, it just fits so well together!

JoeyCora28
01-06-2006, 04:55 PM
I don't know why I find this post so funny, but the smile on Uncle Bill's face and the "I'll take every nickel..." quote, it just fits so well together!

Come out to a game sometime and watch me rake it in from these rubes. You'll see why I'm smiling...

MERPER
01-06-2006, 05:07 PM
While he might be the THIRD to accomplish that, he is the ONLY one to do it with 2 teams in the SAME CITY....

Sweet home, CHICAGO!!!

To Uncle Jerry.... :gulp:

santo=dorf
01-06-2006, 06:07 PM
There are only 3 major sports in the US.

SoxFan76
01-06-2006, 06:13 PM

You are correct, isn't it sad?

downstairs
01-06-2006, 06:17 PM

Damn you beat me too it...

This, in my humble opinion, disqualifies the Pistons/Lightning owner.

The NHL is far from a major sport.

Exit_Only
01-06-2006, 06:25 PM

What about horse racing?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/77/WNBA_100.png

IronFisk
01-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Damn you beat me too it...

This, in my humble opinion, disqualifies the Pistons/Lightning owner.

The NHL is far from a major sport.

Easy to say living in the city with, very likely, the most pathetic excuse for a professional franchise in the Blackhawks. However, and even as Bill Melton alluded to during the parade, those same Hawks probably were the #1 team in this city in the late 60's and most of the 70's. Heck, they were really huge in the 80's as well as they regularly challenged for the Cup - only to have Gretzky turn them back time and again.

I'd say their fall began with the Stadium being torn down - I'd attend games just for the atmosphere of that old barn!

TDog
01-07-2006, 01:26 PM

I can only think of one. There won't be any reason to look at any standings until April.

Lprof
01-08-2006, 12:21 AM
Didn't know if this was posted before (I actually did a brief search, and didn't see it - so EASY on me!).

From USA Today on 10/27 (someone threw this in my office just the other day - they must know something :rolleyes: ) ...

"The (title) ended 88 years of frustration for the franchise, and landed Reinsdorf in one of the sport's most elite ownership clubs as only the THIRD owner to have teams win championships in two of the four major professional leagues. Bill Davidson's 2003-04 NBA Detroit Pistons and NHL's Tampa Bay Lightning won titles. And Jack Kent Cooke owned the Los Angeles Lakers when they won the NBA title in 1972 and the Washington Redskins when they won NFL titles in 1992, 1988 and 1983."

Methinks Jerry should make a play for the Blackhawks and go for the unprecidented THREE-PEAT!The Sun-Times has said that the Sox board of directors has approved a payroll up to $105 mil; they are putting back the profits into the team, as Reinsdorf always promised. I know a lot of Sox fans don't like him, and he has done things I have had a great deal of trouble with, but on balance, he is a hell of an owner, and we are lucky to have him.:tongue: :supernana:

1951Campbell
01-08-2006, 12:32 AM

Let's not write them off yet. Better hockey than NASCAR or soccer taking up #4.

1951Campbell
01-08-2006, 12:34 AM
... on balance, he is a hell of an owner, and we are lucky to have him.:tongue: :supernana:

Winning cures all. Man, was JR hated before 2005. :?:

Realist
01-08-2006, 12:45 AM
Easy to say living in the city with, very likely, the most pathetic excuse for a professional franchise in the Blackhawks. However, and even as Bill Melton alluded to during the parade, those same Hawks probably were the #1 team in this city in the late 60's and most of the 70's. Heck, they were really huge in the 80's as well as they regularly challenged for the Cup - only to have Gretzky turn them back time and again.

I'd say their fall began with the Stadium being torn down - I'd attend games just for the atmosphere of that old barn!

It's hard to believe that in recent memory the Blackhawks once had the hottest tickets in the city. Bears games were blacked out, the Bulls, Sox, and Cubs were playing in half filled stadiums, and it was damn near impossible to get tickets to see the Blackhawks.

It's a good thing Wirtz was smart enough to put all those Blackhawk home games on TV following the strike, and exploit how great hockey looks in HD. The fifteen home games on WGN was a stroke of genius.

Go Cubs!... and take the Blackhawks with you.