PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Past Marketing Campaigns

SOecks
01-06-2006, 03:41 PM
I was just trying to remember some of the Sox past campaigns and am missing some so thought you all could help fill in some of the blanks. From what I remember...

1994?-Good Guys Wear Black
2000-The Kids Can Play
2001-It's the Little Things?
2005a-Win or Die Trying
2005b-Grinder Rules

What are some other ones you can remember? What are your favorites and most hated? My most hated was the one in 2001 that was something like "It's the Little Things" and I think it was created by Manuel to show that they didn't make all those terrible errors and baserunning blunders of recent years. So naturally that years team went out and stunk on the basepaths and in the field. Stupid Manuel.

skobabe8
01-06-2006, 03:43 PM
I was just trying to remember some of the Sox past campaigns and am missing some so thought you all could help fill in some of the blanks. From what I remember...

2000-The Kids Can Play
2005a-Win or Die Trying
2005b-Grinder Rules

What are some other ones you can remember? What are your favorites and most hated? My most hated was the one in 2001 that was something like "It's the Little Things" and I think it was created by Manuel to show that they didn't make all those terrible errors and baserunning blunders of recent years. So naturally that years team went out and stunk on the basepaths and in the field. Stupid Manuel.

LOL...

I dont even remember the one from 2001. Maybe thats because I deleted that whole season from my memory.

Madvora
01-06-2006, 03:45 PM
LOL...

I dont even remember the one from 2001. Maybe thats because I deleted that whole season from my memory.
I've never heard that before that has to be incorrect.

HomeFish
01-06-2006, 03:47 PM
2001 was "Its Time". When it comes to terrible marketing slogans, that one is down there with "Bring Your A Game".

:shudders:

anewman35

Wasn't 2001 "It's Time"? Which I thought was a great idea, but which was abandoned by about May because of how the team was doing.

Another favorite of mine was in 98 (I think) - "Line Shot". That was entertaining.

skottyj242
I'm pretty sure 2001 was It's Time.

I also liked from the late eighties Chicago's American Pastime. I have the jingle in my head right now.

skobabe8
01-06-2006, 03:48 PM
2001 was "Its Time". When it comes to terrible marketing slogans, that one is down there with "Bring Your A Game".

That I remember. Lots of jokes came from that slogan.

MsSoxVixen22
01-06-2006, 03:49 PM
My favs:
1.) Good guys (or good girls :D: ) wear black
2.) Win or Die Trying
3.) I luuuvv Grinder Rules

SOXintheBURGH
01-06-2006, 03:49 PM
I always dug "Good Guys Wear Black" the most.

rdwj
01-06-2006, 04:06 PM
I always dug "Good Guys Wear Black" the most.

That's my favorite too.

SOecks
01-06-2006, 04:07 PM
Yeah, you're right. 2001 was It's Time. I think the "It's the little things" campaign was in 2002 then after the disasterous 2001 season. With all the expectations in 01 and then complaints with all the mistakes in that season, Jerry wanted to change the image. Bad idea. I don't remember any of the mid-90's campaigns though.

lostletters
01-06-2006, 04:12 PM
Yeah, you're right. 2001 was It's Time. I think the "It's the little things" campaign was in 2002 then after the disasterous 2001 season. With all the expectations in 01 and then complaints with all the mistakes in that season, Jerry wanted to change the image. Bad idea. I don't remember any of the mid-90's campaigns though.
That is because "Good Guys Wear Black" lasted well into the nineties, they did not change it until "the kids could pay".

nut_stock
01-06-2006, 04:12 PM
What about that "movie" called Line Shot rated B for Baseball with A. Belle, Frank and Robin...

Ol' No. 2
01-06-2006, 04:24 PM
I remember some billboards in the late 90's with pictures of Frank Thomas and Albert Belle and the caption "Dear Jerry: Buy more baseballs". I thought it was pretty good. Unfortunately, it would have worked equally well with Jamie Navarro's picture instead.:angry:

mccoydp
01-06-2006, 04:26 PM
"The kids can play"...

C-Dawg
01-06-2006, 04:30 PM
I remember some billboards in the late 90's with pictures of Frank Thomas and Albert Belle and the caption "Dear Jerry: Buy more baseballs". I thought it was pretty good.

Remember a few years earlier, the Bo Jackson billboard, showing him lounging sideways on the sign, and it said "The Sox introduce their HIP new ticket plans".

By the way, there was a thread a few months back where they listed dozens of other years marketing themes... Can't find it right now though.

TheDarkGundam
01-06-2006, 04:37 PM
how about 2004?

SOX PRIDE!

I still wear my Sox Pride shirt once in a while. Cub fans I know don't like it because on the back it says "It's all about us".
Probably because they know it's true...

SOecks
01-06-2006, 04:45 PM
how about 2004?

SOX PRIDE!

I still wear my Sox Pride shirt once in a while. Cub fans I know don't like it because on the back it says "It's all about us".
Probably because they know it's true...

Yeah, Sox Pride was great. Wasn't that Brooks' first campaign? The only one we're missing now is the 2003 campaign. Hmmm...

Cellview22
01-06-2006, 04:52 PM
I think Sox Pride was one of the most successful marketing campaigns they've done, and probably my favorite.

I'm curious to see what the '06 marketing campaign will be! I hope they use World Champs in it, like ..."Witness History; Come Watch the World Champs". :D: Hey, I'll leave it up to Brooks.

Ol' No. 2
01-06-2006, 04:53 PM
This should be no contest. The all-time absolute best is 2006:

Come see the World Series Champion Chicago White Sox

NonetheLoaiza
01-06-2006, 04:53 PM
I actually liked 'The Kids Can Play'. At the time, the Sox came out of nowhere to win the division with a young and inexperienced team. I thought it was kind of cool to think that these young players who no one could really identify out of a lineup played well enough to win 95 games.

SOXintheBURGH
01-06-2006, 05:31 PM
I actually liked 'The Kids Can Play'. At the time, the Sox came out of nowhere to win the division with a young and inexperienced team. I thought it was kind of cool to think that these young players who no one could really identify out of a lineup played well enough to win 95 games.

Same here, actually. I was the only Sox fan on my campus that season. I used to just sit there during games and look at my roomate and say "Tell ya what, The Kids Can Play."

Following the Seattle sweep, I received hell for about three weeks.

Kizzy08
01-06-2006, 06:26 PM
My favorite was/is "Good Guys Wear Black." I still say that. Whenever the we're watching the Sox or they win, I fire that one out. Classic

BV2005
01-06-2006, 06:50 PM
My Favorites:
1. Good Guys Wear Black
2. Grinder Rules / Win or Die Trying
3. The Kids can play

doublem23
01-06-2006, 07:00 PM
http://i22.ebayimg.com/03/c/00/c1/d2/1a_7.JPG

No need to even ask this question.

What I love best about it is that Hawk still refers to the Sox as the good guys (not sure if he did that pre-93, that's before my time), and my roomate lividly hates the homerism. Fickle Alaskans. :rolleyes:

Exit_Only
01-06-2006, 07:06 PM

2000-The Kids Can Play
2005a-Win or Die Trying
2005b-Grinder Rules

I liked when they sold pairs of Old Comiskey seats for $15.

soxinem1
01-06-2006, 07:38 PM
I liked when they sold pairs of Old Comiskey seats for $15.

Good Guys Wear Black and The Kids Can Play are catchy, and I remember the 'Who Are These Guys?' prompt from 1990, but to me the most interesting was the 1986 slogan: 'The Hawk Wants You!' It was the only time in my memory that a team used it's GM as a centerpiece for marketing. Of course for those of us old enough to remember, 46 players and a 92 loss season was the end result, and probably a good reason it was not done again.

I cannot really think of the worst slogan, but the worst marketing one was the CTA. I remember them giving away posters of Melido Perez getting off a bus in 1989.

I still have it rolled up, but I cannot hang it anywhere.

RallyBowl
01-06-2006, 08:02 PM
Wasn't "Good Guys wear Black" originally associated with the Raiders? I could be wrong, but I remember having a raiders shirt when I was much younger that had that slogan on it. Or did they steal it from us?

chisoxmike
01-06-2006, 08:09 PM

Yeah, "It's Time" was the 2001 slogan.

Coming after a division crown in 2000, they came up with it I guess saying "its time for a world championship." Too bad the players didn't care.
I remember some of the TV broadcasts going something like this...
:DJ
"And It's Time White Sox fans, baseball season has begun, and after coming of their central divison title, look for another one and a world series chase."

:hawk
"And you know what DJ it is time, white sox fans have waiting long enough."

RadioheadRocks
01-06-2006, 08:35 PM
Although it wasn't an "official" slogan, the surprising 1990 team gave us "Who Are These Guys?" when the main advertising slogan centered initially around The Last Season in Historic Comiskey Park ("Years from now, you'll say you were there").

TomBradley72
01-06-2006, 10:31 PM
"Let's Do it Again"...from 1984.

Cuck the Fubs
01-06-2006, 10:41 PM
This is an easy one..........

"Good Guys wear black"

Even used that one in the early part of the season when I did the morning sports on WGN TV!

IJay22
01-07-2006, 05:43 AM
I still remember that commercial with Frank, Robin and Belle. They had somebody tied up to a chair and said if Matt Karchner's fastball dropped below 90 or something a bomb will go off. I guess that bomb did go off that season,lol. Swing batter batter Swing batter batter Swing

I love the Good Guys wear Black, Sox Pride, and Win or Die Trying slogans.

VenturaSoxFan23
01-07-2006, 12:55 PM

2000-The Kids Can Play
2005a-Win or Die Trying
2005b-Grinder Rules

I think 2001 was "Doing The Little Things".
2002 was "Come Ready To Play" (and lose).

Sox-on-TV44
01-08-2006, 02:12 PM
1.Win Or Die Trying
2.Good Guys Wear Black
3.Grinder rules....
4.A blast from the past (1981) "My Kind Of Team".