PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco Chronicle Reporting

IUPeterman
01-06-2006, 02:24 PM
The Giants have interest in the Big hurt pending medical clearance per ESPN Radio...

Anyone surprised a national league team would have interest?

HOWEVER, I went to the website and they say it's the A's...What gives?

batmanZoSo
01-06-2006, 02:26 PM
I'm not surprised. I doubt anyone is going to sign him with plans for him playing every day. He can handle a limited defensive role, I believe. That's not a good park to hit in, though. I'd like to see him hit in Coors.

Chicken Dinner
01-06-2006, 02:34 PM
He has not yet gained clearance to play baseball, but Frank Thomas remains a viable target for the A's. The former White Sox star, who has missed most of the past two seasons, is making progress as he recovers from two different breaks in his left navicular bone (ankle), according to his agent, Arn Tellem. -- San Francisco Chronicle

buehrle4cy05
01-06-2006, 02:41 PM
That has to be a mistake...

You think only the Mets would be stupid enough to risk Frank's offensive production by playing him at first base.

Flight #24
01-06-2006, 02:45 PM
He has not yet gained clearance to play baseball, but Frank Thomas remains a viable target for the A's. The former White Sox star, who has missed most of the past two seasons, is making progress as he recovers from two different breaks in his left navicular bone (ankle), according to his agent, Arn Tellem. -- San Francisco Chronicle

Is Frank's agent saying there's interest in him? Or just that he's recovering? If the former, it could mean absolutely nothing than trying to drum up some interest.

But regardless, the fact that it's 6 weeks from ST and he's still not cleared is yet another piece of proof that KW made the right move jumping on Thome, even though he gave up some valuable pieces. Unfortunately, the timing just wasn't good for a return by Frank. The only hope now is that he takes long enough that it makes sense for him to take a reserve role with the Sox.

RKMeibalane
01-06-2006, 02:53 PM
That has to be a mistake...

You think only the Mets would be stupid enough to risk Frank's offensive production by playing him at first base.

No, they won't ask him to do that, because Manuel is there.

:jerry

"I can't imagine any reason short of an emergency for playing Frank at 1B."

It's been two and half years, and thinking about Manuel's stupidty and tinkering still pisses me off.

RKMeibalane
01-06-2006, 02:55 PM
I'm not surprised. I doubt anyone is going to sign him with plans for him playing every day. He can handle a limited defensive role, I believe. That's not a good park to hit in, though. I'd like to see him hit in Coors.

Agreed. The only way Frank plays everyday is with an AL team. We'll have to see what happens with him over the next few weeks. Baltimore and Orange County are also interested.

Chicken Dinner
01-07-2006, 08:12 PM
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/01/06/SPGF7GIFJ11.DTL

MarySwiss
01-07-2006, 08:18 PM
Well, they all need to go to hell, so we can sign him to an incentives-laden contract. Frank should finish his career as he began it--in a Sox uni. Anything else is unacceptable, IMO.

SOXSINCE'70
01-07-2006, 11:34 PM
Well, they all need to go to hell, so we can sign him to an incentives-laden contract. Frank should finish his career as he began it--in a Sox uni. Anything else is unacceptable, IMO.

I choose to remember the good times,like the grand slam he hit off
that rag armed righty Todd Stottlemyre in the '93 season.Or the
game winning 2 run shot he hit off Mike Montgomery when the Royals
were only a few games away from first place and dethroning
the Sox that same year.How about his grand slam off Joe Boever
in '94 that tied a game at 9 that the Sox should have lost??They won
that game in the 13th inning,IIRC.How about'97,the year he won a batting title??
He's the closest thing South Siders will ever see to a modern day
Ted Williams.His #'s between 1991-97 make him a first ballot HOF'er
in my book.

:hurt
"I may be gone,but my numbers linger on.And on and on and on".