PDA

View Full Version : Patterson traded to the Orioles

munchman33
01-06-2006, 12:38 AM
the Orioles.

That oughta shut Tejada up.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060105patterson,1,2697580.story?coll=cs-home-headlines (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060105patterson,1,2697580.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Banix12
01-06-2006, 12:45 AM
Well they missed out on Burnitz so I guess this is plan B.

Tragg
01-06-2006, 01:17 AM
Getting anything for Patterson is a plus. I hope we are equally successful at getting a player cheaply, or at least from a reasonable price, from the Orioles.

chuckn98229
01-06-2006, 02:46 AM
It doesn't say much for the astuteness of Orioles management to be gullible enough to take cub problem players. First Sosa, now Patterson?? Does Hendry have pictures?

Sox-o-matic
01-06-2006, 06:37 AM
I don't see how this would be a bad move for the O's. Patterson still has potential and its not like the O's will be contending anytime this century. Worst case scenario they lose a mid-level prospect, best case scenario Corey turns into a decent player and they get something decent for him.

JUribe1989
01-06-2006, 07:40 AM
Patterson was a good hitter before he got hurt in 2003. I don't see see this as a bad move for the Orioles. It's basically a no risk trade, and I believe that Patterson can still be good. It also never helps to start your career dealing with thousands of dumbass boo birds.

BeviBall!
01-06-2006, 08:32 AM
Well they missed out on Burnitz so I guess this is plan B.

More like Plan F.

Hangar18
01-06-2006, 09:09 AM
It doesn't say much for the astuteness of Orioles management to be gullible enough to take cub problem players. First Sosa, now Patterson?? Does Hendry have pictures?

Fool them once, shame on them. Fool them twice, **** them hahahaha.
Seriously, as long as they trade back an equally dismal player, its good.
The Orioles are trying to out-Pirate the Pirates, hahahahahaha. Idiots

Dan Mega
01-06-2006, 09:14 AM
The Orioles are trying to out-Pirate the Pirates, hahahahahaha. Idiots

:roflmao:

DaleJRFan
01-06-2006, 09:30 AM
I don't get it. The Orioles non-tender Byrnes, the vastly superior player, but now the Orioles are going to trade for Patterson, to replace him?? Ugh.

Tekijawa
01-06-2006, 09:47 AM
I don't get it. The Orioles non-tender Byrnes, the vastly superior player, but now the Orioles are going to trade for Patterson, to replace him?? Ugh.

I think Patterson has amuch higher upside than Byrnes does... All of Corey's fall back are mental ones and I don't think Baker is the manager that can fix those, unless they magically fix themselves. This is a good move for Patterson because it's exactly what he needs a change in scenery! I could see him having a big year this year!

Ol' No. 2
01-06-2006, 09:55 AM
I think Patterson has amuch higher upside than Byrnes does... All of Corey's fall back are mental ones and I don't think Baker is the manager that can fix those, unless they magically fix themselves. This is a good move for Patterson because it's exactly what he needs a change in scenery! I could see him having a big year this year!I agree. If you're talking tools, Patterson is loaded. He's just been uncoachable. But sometimes that's the coach's fault, and Dusty has never been known to be good with young players. With the right coaching (and a few whacks with a 2x4), he could blossom. The O's gave up nothing much, so it's a low risk move for them.

kittle42
01-06-2006, 10:02 AM
I agree. If you're talking tools, Patterson is loaded. He's just been uncoachable. But sometimes that's the coach's fault, and Dusty has never been known to be good with young players. With the right coaching (and a few whacks with a 2x4), he could blossom. The O's gave up nothing much, so it's a low risk move for them.

I'll third this. Patterson may end up being as bad as he is currently, but getting him away from Dusty is the best thing right now if he is ever to be successful.

Tekijawa
01-06-2006, 10:03 AM
I agree. If you're talking tools, Patterson is loaded. He's just been uncoachable. But sometimes that's the coach's fault, and Dusty has never been known to be good with young players. With the right coaching (and a few whacks with a 2x4), he could blossom. The O's gave up nothing much, so it's a low risk move for them.

Not to mention that Roberts is the lead off man there, Corey will fit nicely in the 2 hole or depending on how Truly bad the O's are he might get a few hacks at the 3 spot infront of Tejada.

mjharrison72
01-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Also nowhere near ready to be a leadoff hitter, like the flubs were trying to force him to do. With the O's, he could fit in nicely... the speed and power of Roberts and Mora at the top of the order, and Patterson hitting 8 or 9? I hope Patterson becomes a freaking All-Star so the flubbie fans can cry about what a bad move it was! Mwahaha!

Tekijawa
01-06-2006, 10:20 AM
AHHH I forgot about Mora... I'd still think he'd fit in at 2 or 3 better than lower in the order especially in that small park I think he could do well!

mjharrison72
01-06-2006, 10:24 AM
AHHH I forgot about Mora... I'd still think he'd fit in at 2 or 3 better than lower in the order especially in that small park I think he could do well!
Yeah... we're definitely thinking alike, though, that batting him somewhere other than leadoff could increase his production. Also, I doubt the expectation will be there like it always was among the flubbie faithful. Basically, if the guy doesn't strike out every time he comes to the plate (which is, I admit, a distinct possibility), they'll say he had a good year. This is a team that had Sammy Sosa AND Rafael Palmiero last season.

TomBradley72
01-06-2006, 12:17 PM
I'm not a big Patterson fan...he seems to have almost no heart/fire...the "anti-grinder"....but if he was on my roster...I'd tuck him into LF and about the 7th spot in the batting order...very little pressure both on defense or offense....see what happens. I'm surprised the Cubs didn't consider this option....he seems to have more upside than 24 y.o. Matt Murton.

ChiSoxLifer
01-06-2006, 12:38 PM
That sucks. This move greatly improves the sCrubs lineup. How are they going to replace his 5 Ks per game? Oh yah, they picked up Jacque Jones. Nevermind.

RallyBowl
01-06-2006, 12:40 PM
Does this qualify as a "Corey Patterson Appreciation Thread"?

TaylorStSox
01-06-2006, 08:52 PM

I completely agree. IMO Patterson's going to be a very good MLB ballplayer. Obviously, the Cub-obsessed Sox fans have seen more of him than me, but everything I've seen tells me he's got what it takes. He needs to be put in the right atmosphere, like alot of players.

Whoever said Byrnes is better needs to put the pipe down.

Exit_Only
01-06-2006, 08:55 PM
While I don't think much of CPatt's character, personality or respect for the game, I would take pleasure in him becoming Lou Brock II.

SoxSpeed22
01-06-2006, 09:15 PM
It's clear that all first-round picks have the tools to be good players, it's their heads that determine what happens to them. Once I heard about Matt Bush's arrest, I said to one of my friends, "He'll never make it past AA." If Patterson goes to a team that uses an approach that fits his style, he will be very good. All Lou Brock did was go to a team that welcomed his style of play and did not try to change it. And the rest is history.

A. Cavatica
01-06-2006, 09:27 PM
Does this qualify as a "Corey Patterson Appreciation Thread"?

* OFFICIAL * Corey Patterson Depreciation Thread

peeonwrigley
01-09-2006, 03:36 PM
Per WSCR its official. For 2 A-Ball players.

May he become an All-star.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-09-2006, 03:41 PM
Per WSCR its official. For 2 A-Ball players.

May he become an All-star.

20 year-old 2B Nate Spears and 23 year-old SP Carlos Perez

Spears last season at Single A Frederick Keys: .294 AVG, .349 OBP, 6 3B, 6 HR, 41 RBI, 8 SB/4 CS, 13 Errors at 2B

Perez last season at Single A Delmarva Shorebirds: 11-8, 4.28 ERA, 151.1 IP, 168 H, 61 BB, 146 K

Both have birthdays in May so they will be 21 and 24, respectively, in May 2006.

Perez looks like a dud but Spears, a lefty, looks like the second-coming of Todd Walker.

SOXPHILE
01-09-2006, 03:49 PM
B & B are interviewing Rex Grossman right now, so they couldn't really discuss it at all. However, T. Diddly did imply a "who cares" type of attitude, and even made some smartass comment to Grossman, telling him that he hoped they didn't put him to sleep with such big news. Had to laugh at that.

skobabe8
01-09-2006, 03:51 PM
I'll third this. Patterson may end up being as bad as he is currently, but getting him away from Dusty is the best thing right now if he is ever to be successful.

Fourth me in. Low risk, possible reward. Plus, I wouldnt mind Patterson having a good year after the cubs give him away. As long as its not at our expense.

Palehose13
01-09-2006, 04:07 PM
I think it's a good deal for the O's. IMO, Patterson could be a very good ball player, but not with Dusty. However, I'm not sure that the Oriole organization is a good fit for Patterson either. I guess we will see.

Who said that there was a Grossman interview??? Start a thread about that! :D:

santo=dorf
01-09-2006, 05:10 PM
Hey lurking cubbie fans!

Still thinking Patterson is a five tool player?
Still think Patterson is better than Rowand?
You got two A-ballers for Patterson, we got Thome.

Still think Hendry is a "genius" and KW is a lucky fool?

Thought so.

I think Patterson will stink it up in the AL as well and be an expensive bench player come June.

Flight #24
01-09-2006, 05:21 PM
So the Cubs have officially cleared the path to a Murton-Pierre-Jones OF? Not only is that likely to have at least 1 Patterson-esque guy, it's also got little chance of significant upside. At least with Patterson, they had some hope of improvement given his tools, the fact that he has at some point been a productive major leaguer, and his age.

Yes, he most liekly would have sucked, but the 2 guys they got will almost certainly never do anything in the bigs, and instead of Corey, they'll now have the Marquis de Sade on the team, and given Dusty's penchant for vets, most likely getting way more than his fair share of PT.

At least the Cubs can point to saving $3M, you know - because they were financially strapped.......

John Barrett
01-09-2006, 06:41 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-060109cubs,1,543518.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-060109cubs,1,543518.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed)

Domeshot17
01-09-2006, 08:00 PM
the Cubs finally dealt OF Corey Patterson to baltimore for ML SS Nate Spears and another minor leaguer per espn

seanpmurphy
01-09-2006, 08:16 PM
Apparently the Orioles are the trash bin for free swinging Cubs waste.

TheDarkGundam
01-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Finally, all the pieces are in place for our friends to the North to win a world series.
What's that? These guys are minor leaguers? Oh well, there's always next century! :D:

Banix12
01-09-2006, 09:28 PM
Damn, how many Orioles middle infielders do the cubs want? In the last year they have traded the Orioles Sammy Sosa and Corey Patterson and in return they have gotten three middle infielders (Fontenot, Hairston, Spears) and two pitchers (Perez and Crouthers - the now retired Crouthers).

Making it more confusing is the cubs already have like three or four middle infield prospects they like from their own system.

kittle42
01-09-2006, 09:31 PM
Good for Patterson. He finally escaped the grasp of the evil Dusty, who prefers giving time to Marquis Grissom instead of Matt Murton (mark my words).

Unfortunately, he ended up with the perennial loser Orioles.

seanpmurphy
01-09-2006, 09:35 PM
Good for Patterson. He finally escaped the grasp of the evil Dusty, who prefers giving time to Marquis Grissom instead of Matt Murton (mark my words).

Unfortunately, he ended up with the perennial loser Orioles.

In Dusty they trusty!

Jjav829
01-09-2006, 09:49 PM
http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/5888.jpg
"Oh good. I'm glad the Orioles got my message and started pursuing such high end talent. It was all worth it. We're going to the World Series now. Oh **** it. Trade me! Trade me! Trade me! Trade me! Corey Patterson? Are you kidding me? Corey freaking Patterson? Oh wait, I get it. This is a joke. Haha. You guys got me. You got me good. Now you're going to trade Patterson away and bring in a couple pitchers that can, you know, pitch, right? Oh that Jim Duquette, such a big prankster."

BeviBall!
01-09-2006, 09:54 PM
Watch Patterson go for .290/25/80 this year. Once you leave the northside, anything is possible.

ShoelessJoeS
01-09-2006, 09:59 PM
Watch Patterson go for .290/25/80 this year. Once you leave the northside, anything is possible.
Sorry, but I'm calling the police...

:tealpolice:

soxfanreggie
01-09-2006, 10:13 PM
I hope Patterson does well against every team except the Sox. Heck, I hope he hits 15 home runs and drives in 30 against the Twins and Indians then reverts to his Cub ways against the Sox. Thus, he could help the Sox and make the Cubs look stupid...oh wait, they do that pretty much daily...

Banix12
01-09-2006, 10:14 PM
Sorry, but I'm calling the police...

:tealpolice:

I don't see a requirement for teal. That stat line is certainly within reach for Corey, particularly the power numbers. However you have to consider the downside that he would strike out 170 times trying to get there.

Flight #24
01-09-2006, 10:16 PM
By the way, saw this hilarious note on a Flub board: In the past 12 months, the O's have traded for or attempted to sign Sosa, Burnitz, LaTroy, and now Patterson.......

I'm assuming because they can only hope to bring with them the same success they brought to the 04-05 Cubs.

ShoelessJoeS
01-09-2006, 10:23 PM
I wouldn't say that stat line is out of reach for Corey. However you have to consider the downside that he would strike out 170 times trying to get there.I've made this same argument in an earlier thread on CP's potential. I mean, .290/25/80 could be possible (so hard not to use teal here). But when you factor in a perrenial 150 K total to go along with his absolutely atrocious defense, potential and Corey Patterson is almost an oxymoron.

Jjav829
01-09-2006, 10:25 PM
I've made this same argument in an earlier thread on CP's potential. I mean, .290/25/80 could be possible (so hard not to use teal here). But when you factor in a perrenial 150 K total to go along with his absolutely atrocious defense, potential and Corey Patterson is almost an oxymoron.

Atrocious defense? Hardly. If you had to point to one strong suit of Patterson's game, it is his defense. He is a pretty good defensive centerfielder. It's the whole hitting the ball thing that gives him trouble.

seanpmurphy
01-09-2006, 10:29 PM

It was good seeing Sosa put the steroids junk behind him and really turn his career around and become a fan favorite in Baltimore.

SoxSpeed22
01-09-2006, 10:31 PM
Watch Patterson go for .290/25/80 this year. Once you leave the northside, anything is possible.Just out of curiosity, how many ex-Cubs have won a ring? I know we had Garland, but I can't count all the other ones.

ShoelessJoeS
01-09-2006, 10:34 PM
Atrocious defense? Hardly. If you had to point to one strong suit of Patterson's game, it is his defense. He is a pretty good defensive centerfielder. It's the whole hitting the ball thing that gives him trouble.
I can't agree with you on this one J. I love baseball and sometimes watch the Flubs from time to time since they're mostly on during the day. Given all the games I've watched, I stand by my previous statement about his D. At best, he's a below-average CF, IMHO. It would have to be purely coincidence if what you believe is true where every time I watched him play he got a bad jump on the ball or simply misread the flight, or, lost it in the weeds or just dropped the ball out of his glove.

Palehose13
01-09-2006, 10:35 PM

It wouldn't surprise me, but I see him with a little lower BA than .290. Patterson definitely has potential and Dusty Baker isn't known for getting the best out of young players. I don't think Patterson will be the super star that the cub organization thought he would be. However, I think under good management he could be a serviceable CFer on a MLB ballclub.

santo=dorf
01-09-2006, 11:00 PM
I don't see a requirement for teal. That stat line is certainly within reach for Corey, particularly the power numbers. However you have to consider the downside that he would strike out 170 times trying to get there.

.....and his OBP would probably be around .300

Jjav829
01-09-2006, 11:08 PM
I can't agree with you on this one J. I love baseball and sometimes watch the Flubs from time to time since they're mostly on during the day. Given all the games I've watched, I stand by my previous statement about his D. At best, he's a below-average CF, IMHO. It would have to be purely coincidence if what you believe is true where every time I watched him play he got a bad jump on the ball or simply misread the flight, or, lost it in the weeds or just dropped the ball out of his glove.
Well, first you called him atrocious. Now it's below-average. A couple more posts and he will be a gold glover. :redneck

Seriously, my main gripe was you calling him "atrocious." He isn't a great defensive centerfielder, and he does misread some balls, but he has great speed to make up for his bad reads and he has a plus arm. Patterson is definitely not "atrocious." He's not on the level of the top centerfielders, but you can do a lot worse than Corey Patterson in center. You could have Juan Pierre playing center, for instance.

ShoelessJoeS
01-09-2006, 11:23 PM
Well, first you called him atrocious. Now it's below-average. A couple more posts and he will be a gold glover. :redneck

Seriously, my main gripe was you calling him "atrocious." He isn't a great defensive centerfielder, and he does misread some balls, but he has great speed to make up for his bad reads and he has a plus arm. Patterson is definitely not "atrocious." He's not on the level of the top centerfielders, but you can do a lot worse than Corey Patterson in center. You could have Juan Pierre playing center, for instance.
For one, I just stopped laughing about the Juan Pierre burn 10 minutes after reading your post....:roflmao:

Secondly, atrocious may not have been the right word, but at least you understand the point I was trying to make.....:D:

slavko
01-09-2006, 11:46 PM
It's clear that all first-round picks have the tools to be good players, it's their heads that determine what happens to them. Once I heard about Matt Bush's arrest, I said to one of my friends, "He'll never make it past AA." If Patterson goes to a team that uses an approach that fits his style, he will be very good. All Lou Brock did was go to a team that welcomed his style of play and did not try to change it. And the rest is history.

First thing the Cards did with Lou was to hide his fielding woes by putting him in LF. The Cubs had played him mostly in CF.

Banix12
01-10-2006, 01:26 AM
Just out of curiosity, how many ex-Cubs have won a ring? I know we had Garland, but I can't count all the other ones.

that would take way too long to count them all but plenty of ex-cubs have won rings. Red Sox had Mark Bellhorn and Bill Mueller. Hell even Mark Grace has a ring from the D'Backs. The way that players move around these days usually there are plenty of ex-whatevers on a championship team.

ShoelessJoeS
01-10-2006, 02:34 AM
that would take way too long to count them all but plenty of ex-cubs have won rings. Red Sox had Mark Bellhorn and Bill Mueller. Hell even Mark Grace has a ring from the D'Backs. The way that players move around these days usually there are plenty of ex-whatevers on a championship team.
Didn't World Series champion Luis Gonzalez play for the Scrubbies too?

The Critic
01-10-2006, 11:59 AM

Didn't happen for Sosa.
Although since Patterson's talent doesn't come from gym bags lying on hotel lobby floors ( allegedly :D: ), maybe he CAN turn his career around after escaping from Dusty's Dugout Dungeon of Doom.

XplodingScorbord
01-10-2006, 02:10 PM
I agree. If you're talking tools, Patterson is loaded.

If you're talking tools, they also took Sammy Sosa off the flubs hands, and he's about the biggest tool i can think of!

BeviBall!
01-10-2006, 03:26 PM
It was good seeing Sosa put the steroids junk behind him and really turn his career around and become a fan favorite in Baltimore.

They should have sent that limo to pick him up from the airport. :D: Sosa hardly qualifies for this statement though.

Banix12
01-10-2006, 09:49 PM
Didn't World Series champion Luis Gonzalez play for the Scrubbies too?

Yup, D'Backs also had former cubs Mike Morgan and Miguel Batista.