PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Fake Cubune headline

gobears1987
01-05-2006, 08:34 PM
(mods feel free to move this if it isn't in the right forum)

OK, we have now had almost 2,000!!!! fake Cubune headlines. What have your favorite ones to date been? This ought to be interesting.

Here is my favorite. This is from the 3rd page. Click on the link for the picture to really get the effect of this one.

Secret to Sox Pitching Success Revealed!!!

Coach Cooper Grows 3rd Arm out of Ass!!!

Magical Arm Allowed him to Work with Staff
http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/pg2/2005/1021/photo/051021_sox_275.jpg

santo=dorf
01-05-2006, 08:57 PM
1.7 MILLION CONVERGE ON LOOP FOR RARE MIDDAY STEVE PERRY CONCERT
"I HAD NO IDEA I WAS STILL THAT POPULAR," SAYS FORMER JOURNEY FRONTMAN

Sox Fan Ligue Jumps Off Upper Deck at Yankee Stadium in Failed Attempt to Attack Home Plate Umpire

Breaking News: Poor people live near the Cell
Reefer madness only steps from Sox dugout!
Famous Columbian, Ozzie Guillen opposes U.S. drug laws
Kanye West: Reinsdorf hates black people
Poor folks on South Side hate Sox, prefer cubs
Woo Woo: Homeless, unemployed also love cubs, Baker
Cubs true blue-collar team; Sox wear black and white
Rumors of multi-million dollar homes in Bridgeport unfounded

Broom-carrying Sox fans explained

"They were cleaning the streets as part of their work-release program", says official

Full story, p.52

gobears1987
01-05-2006, 09:09 PM
What is real sad is the fact that most of these are real headlines. Especially the "Poor people live near cell."

SoxFan76
01-05-2006, 09:11 PM
I like this, kind of a "Best Of" Tribune Headlines.

CubsfansareDRUNK
01-05-2006, 09:16 PM
remember that one game when the guy jumped on the net at yankee stadium? Yeah, that was the big picture after the sox won...stupid cubune

The Wunsch
01-05-2006, 09:42 PM
PRIOR LEADS MLB IN SIMULATED VICTORIES

POOR PEOPLE ON SOUTHSIDE DO NOT UNDERSTAND SIGNIFICANCE.

WOO WOO SAMMY NO CHEAT

buehrle4cy05
01-05-2006, 09:45 PM
Prior and Wood have love child
Immediatly placed on 15-day DL

Banix12
01-05-2006, 09:51 PM
I know it's in poor taste to toot your own horn but I seriously fell out of my chair when I thought of this one.

WHITE SOX WIN IN FENWAY!!
White Sox still in trouble.. Boston has come back from 3-0 deficits before.

Turn to page three for history lesson about how the Braves lost in the playoffs 12 of last 13 years and what the White Sox can learn from it.

thomas35forever
01-05-2006, 10:06 PM
'BLACK SOX' 2005

TRIBUNE UNCOVERS PLOT BY SOX AND UMPIRES TO THROW GAMES IN THIER FAVOR

RUMORED TO BE INVOLVED: 'SWEDE' CREDE , 'CHICK' KONERKO , 'CRACKER' PIERZYNSKI , 'BUCK' ROWAND , 'SHOELESS' SCOTTY PODS , 'LEFTY' BUEHRLE , 'HAPPY' TAD IGUCHI AND EVEN BENCHWARMER 'WEE' WILLIE HARRIS

MANAGER 'KID' GUILLEN AND OWNER REINSDORF 'THE OLD JEW' APPARENTLY CLUELESS TO FIX

Definitely one of my favorites. It's funny how they were able to match the nicknames of the Black Sox with current players.

SOX LA Mikey
01-06-2006, 04:31 AM
Definitely one of my favorites. It's funny how they were able to match the nicknames of the Black Sox with current players.

That was mine ....thank you, thank you, thank you:bandance:

I'd also like to thank the 1919 American League Champions
and of course
THE 2005 WORLD CHAMPION WHITE SOX!!!!!!:supernana:

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-06-2006, 07:23 AM
This is an unfair thread.

To pick faves out of one of the best fan driven threads ever to make it to the Internet is unfair. I go in that thread at least 2-3x a week just to CATCH up. The problem is I sometimes do it at work and have to close the door cuz I'm laughing so hard. I pick all of them - but the ones that really scare me are the ones that END UP BEING REAL.

I think the headline thread should be archived and be mandatory reading for every member.

DaleJRFan
01-06-2006, 08:54 AM
This is an unfair thread.

To pick faves out of one of the best fan driven threads ever to make it to the Internet is unfair. I go in that thread at least 2-3x a week just to CATCH up. The problem is I sometimes do it at work and have to close the door cuz I'm laughing so hard. I pick all of them - but the ones that really scare me are the ones that END UP BEING REAL.

I think the headline thread should be archived and be mandatory reading for every member.

Hey... there's the cubfans' parody site theheckler.com and the general sports parody site thebrushback.com... why can't some of the techie dorks make our own parody site Cubune.com and have it be a fake Tribune cover page with all the best Cubune headlines from the WSI threads????

Hitmen77
01-06-2006, 09:50 AM
So many good ones to choose from. Here are some of my favorities

From 10/17: THOUSANDS OF CUBS FANS FOUND DEAD FROM CHOKING ON THEIR OWN WORDS

October 26, 2005
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ALERT:
SEVERE ICE CONDITIONS REPORTED IN EARTH'S NETHER REGIONS

from 12/4: Monday in 'Gil Thorp':

Coach Jockstrap: "Gil, why didn't you stop that fan that ran out onto the field?"

Gil: "He seemed harmless enough, coach. He just wanted to scatter his dog's ashes."

Coach Jockstrap: "That's not the right attitude, Gil! Suppose two lunatics run out onto the field to beat up a coach! Are you going to just stand there and let them?"

from 12/28: Somber Re-signing
Sox give cash to rich pitcher and not to poor folks who smoke crack right down the block from the Cell

SouthSide_Hitman
01-06-2006, 10:34 AM

Funny Funy stuff right there.....lol
Maybe between them they might actually put in a full season....of simulated games that is.
God Damn it sure is GREAT to be a fan of the 2005 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX

TommyJohn
01-06-2006, 10:44 AM
Hey... there's the cubfans' parody site theheckler.com and the general sports parody site thebrushback.com... why can't some of the techie dorks make our own parody site Cubune.com and have it be a fake Tribune cover page with all the best Cubune headlines from the WSI threads????

I love that idea and if I was a techie dork, I'd take you up on it.

DaleJRFan
01-06-2006, 11:24 AM
I love that idea and if I was a techie dork, I'd take you up on it.

I make web sites for a living, so if anyone wants to join me, give me a PM...

soxfanatlanta
01-06-2006, 11:46 AM
I make web sites for a living, so if anyone wants to join me, give me a PM...

Hmm....

TheCubune.com
Cubune.com

Are both available domain names.

Hmm......

Oh, God the temptation...

DaleJRFan
01-06-2006, 12:33 PM
Hmm....

TheCubune.com
Cubune.com

Are both available domain names.

Hmm......

Oh, God the temptation...

Got your PM. I'm down...

Anyone else who would like to help with TheCubune.com project, let me know. ALL content will be "borrowed" from WSI Cubune headline threads. I'm not nearly creative or funny enough to create my own.

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Got your PM. I'm down...

Anyone else who would like to help with TheCubune.com project, let me know. ALL content will be "borrowed" from WSI Cubune headline threads. I'm not nearly creative or funny enough to create my own.

Now this, I like....how awesome! Our own website of headlines from the blue collar, impoverished fans of the South Side team.

DaleJRFan
01-06-2006, 01:39 PM
Now this, I like....how awesome! Our own website of headlines from the blue collar, impoverished fans of the South Side team.

EXACTLY! So far, we have the domain name, a few people who have offered to write the columns to match all of the great WSi posters' headlines. We are seeking the hosting and picking the technologies right now.

It's gunna kick ass, fo' sho'...

Dan Mega
01-06-2006, 01:53 PM
ALL content will be "borrowed" from WSI Cubune headline threads. I'm not nearly creative or funny enough to create my own.

I'd get permission from Daver or other mods before you start "borrowing" information from WSI...

SOecks
01-06-2006, 02:15 PM

I'm still laughing at that one. Absolutely classic!!!

TheDarkGundam
01-06-2006, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyFisk
October 26, 2005
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ALERT:
SEVERE ICE CONDITIONS REPORTED IN EARTH'S NETHER REGIONS
That one's great. Wasn't the headline in Boston actually "Hell Freezes Over" when they won the WS?
BTW, here's a shoutout to the originator of "You Write Tomorrow's Cubune Headline", DrCrawdad.

DaleJRFan
01-06-2006, 02:29 PM
I'd get permission from Daver or other mods before you start "borrowing" information from WSI...

:?: I think I'm ok. The people posting them have PM-ed asking "Hey, will you use my fake headlines??"

Our first headline is going to be:

White Sox Fan Web Site Ideas Stollen
new web site continues south-side ways with stollen headlines
Web Site founder, George Bova to sue fellow Sox fan, proof that Sox fans just can't get along.

that's a joke, by the way. Can I call the teal police on myself???

SOecks
01-06-2006, 02:44 PM
:?: I think I'm ok. The people posting them have PM-ed asking "Hey, will you use my fake headlines??"

White Sox Fan Web Site Ideas Stollen
Web Site founder, George Bova to sue fellow Sox fan, proof that Sox fans just can't get along.

That's a great headline to start. Good luck, I hope this all works out. Just make sure to provide lots of linky's to WSI.

TheDarkGundam
01-06-2006, 03:40 PM

White Sox Fan Web Site Ideas Stolen

Before you post that, fix the typo!

DaleJRFan
01-06-2006, 03:46 PM
Before you post that, fix the typo!

:o: That was intentional. Blue collar southsiders can't spell either.

Hitmen77
01-06-2006, 04:08 PM
Bitter Sox Fans to Start Their Own Trib-Mocking Web Site.
- Jealousy of Cubs Fuels Their Hatred
- Access to computers a challenge to poor, uneducated, white trash fans
- Many to obtain library cards for 1st time ever to gain free Internet access.

One suggestion I have is that the website could challenge readers to guess "which of the following is a real Tribune headline" from a list of 3 fake headlines and one real headline.

DaleJRFan
01-06-2006, 04:11 PM
Bitter Sox Fans to Start Their Own Trib-Mocking Web Site.
- Jealously of Cubs Fuels Their Hatred
- Access to computers a challenge to poor, uneducated, white trash fans
- Many to obtain library cards for 1st time ever to gain free Internet access.

One suggestion I have is that the website could challenge readers to guess "which of the following is a real Tribune headline" from a list of 3 fake headlines and one real headline.

oh my... that's good stuff right there...

I doubt I could get away with using their actual headline in a poll without getting "Cease and desist" threats... although, that is an amazing idea...

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-06-2006, 07:09 PM
I would be willing to write an article or two also...

Maybe we need a fake headline newsroom and editor. I took two years of journalism class in HS!!!

ChiSoxLifer
01-06-2006, 08:08 PM
I would be willing to write an article or two also...

Maybe we need a fake headline newsroom and editor. I took two years of journalism class in HS!!!

That's more than the trib columnists.

Stroker Ace
01-06-2006, 10:53 PM
:cubune

GoSox2K3
01-11-2006, 10:32 AM
This is a good one.

- Chicago Tribune Classifieds -

FOR SALE
One Major League Baseball team. Highly used. In poor condition. Smells of urine. Won championship in 1908. Kept outside behind a few city bars, but could be considered "rustic". Need to unload quickly, will take best offer. Contact Tribune, Inc. at 312-000-0000.

I think a cubune.com website is a great idea!

SoxSpeed22
01-11-2006, 12:25 PM
"Jeter defeats Podsednik" is beyond classic, it's what made the thread so great. One headline I like was after the Cubs signed Howry.
BIG MOVE IN CHICAGO BASEBALL MADE
Cubs ink superstar Bob Howry!!! (not quite official)
Coming Sundays, Howry joins Tribune staff to bash Sox attendance!

thomas35forever
01-11-2006, 01:26 PM
All right. I see talk of this Cubune web site. Now, when's it gonna go up?

bestkosher
01-11-2006, 01:43 PM
I would be more than willing to help. I was a sports broadcaster through college and have a degree in communications.

DaleJRFan
01-11-2006, 02:00 PM
I would be more than willing to help. I was a sports broadcaster through college and have a degree in communications.

PM me if you want to help out... I'm working out the areas of responsibility this week so we can start working on building the development tasks.

TomBradley72
01-11-2006, 02:09 PM
Cubune.com.....in the words of Animal House’s Flounder:

" This is gonna be great. " :gulp:

IlliniSox4Life
01-11-2006, 02:17 PM
As far as URL's go, I think www.chicagocubune.com would be better because it's closer to the real cubune's url.

DaleJRFan
01-11-2006, 03:43 PM
As far as URL's go, I think www.chicagocubune.com (http://www.chicagocubune.com) would be better because it's closer to the real cubune's url.

soxfanatlanta bought a domain name, I think www.thecubune.com (http://www.thecubune.com), to go along with verbiage used on WSI. The point is that this is an idea that came from WSI and we will use as much WSI-isms as possible. The credit belongs with the people who originated the idea and the fact that this whole thing was started on WSI cannot be lost.... even to the point of self-deprecation and poking fun at some WSI members. Maybe Hangar's flubsession, HomeFish's doomsday posts, etc.

We received the blessings of Voodoo, Daver, FWC and PHG, so we are good to go. It's now just a matter of doing the real work!!! Then the fun can begin.

I might start a thread in Whats the Score to get ideas from people on here as to what the extraneous content should be. I'll design the thing, and I have two other WSI members who have volunteered development hours to build the backend (PHP/MySQL, etc)...

to quote WSI's own TomBradley72, "This is gonna be great..."

santo=dorf
01-11-2006, 05:20 PM
"Jeter defeats Podsednik" is beyond classic, it's what made the thread so great. One headline I like was after the Cubs signed Howry.

I'm pretty sure I wrote that the day the Sox traded for Thome. :D:

gobears1987
01-11-2006, 06:28 PM
Can I get some credit seeing how this idea was born in a thread I started?!?!?!

Hitmen77
01-11-2006, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by Santo=Dorf
BIG MOVE IN CHICAGO BASEBALL MADE
Cubs ink superstar Bob Howry!!! (not quite official)
Coming Sundays, Howry joins Tribune staff to bash Sox attendance!

I'm pretty sure I wrote that the day the Sox traded for Thome. :D:

Not only was it funny when it was posted, but then a few days later Paul Sullivan had a real Cubune article article where he and Howry bashed Sox attendance! It tells you something when our funny mock headlines turn out to be real Tribune content.

Realist
01-11-2006, 07:57 PM
Well, if you're doing a mock newspaper, I think it will need a mock comic strip. I'm sure there'll be more than enough material out there to come up with a new strip each week.

If you guys like the idea, I'll start working on coming up with some characters and maybe a couple of story lines that I can submit to the editors.

:bandance:
"Oooh ooh...
can I be in the
comic strip?"

IlliniSox4Life
01-11-2006, 08:25 PM
Well, if you're doing a mock newspaper, I think it will need a mock comic strip. I'm sure there'll be more than enough material out there to come up with a new strip each week.

If you guys like the idea, I'll start working on coming up with some characters and maybe a couple of story lines that I can submit to the editors.

"Oooh ooh...
can I be in the
comic strip?"

that would be very cool. i can picture a strip based on the bleacher bums at wrigley.

TheDarkGundam
01-11-2006, 08:48 PM
This is gonna be awesome DaleJRFan! It'll be like 'the Onion' but for Sox fans.
I'd like to see some references to historic WSI moments like "Should I cell?" and that horsemaster picture.
Can't wait to see it! :thumbsup:

:moonwalk:

TomBradley72
01-11-2006, 10:28 PM

"Oooh ooh...
can I be in the
comic strip?"

A Gil Thorp spoof might be cool.

Hitmen77
02-24-2006, 09:58 AM
soxfanatlanta bought a domain name, I think www.thecubune.com (http://www.thecubune.com), to go along with verbiage used on WSI. The point is that this is an idea that came from WSI and we will use as much WSI-isms as possible. The credit belongs with the people who originated the idea and the fact that this whole thing was started on WSI cannot be lost.... even to the point of self-deprecation and poking fun at some WSI members. Maybe Hangar's flubsession, HomeFish's doomsday posts, etc.

We received the blessings of Voodoo, Daver, FWC and PHG, so we are good to go. It's now just a matter of doing the real work!!! Then the fun can begin.

I might start a thread in Whats the Score to get ideas from people on here as to what the extraneous content should be. I'll design the thing, and I have two other WSI members who have volunteered development hours to build the backend (PHP/MySQL, etc)...

to quote WSI's own TomBradley72, "This is gonna be great..."

Any updates on the cubune.com project?

Baby Fisk
02-24-2006, 11:44 AM
Sox One Win Away from Getting Swept in the Playoffs

Wal-Marts Around Chicagoland Report High Rate of Absent Employees Today as Sox Fans Celebrate Rare Post Season Berth.
William Ligue Pull Out Section

City tense as Southsiders close to Penant

Many in Chicago fear for their lives and businesses as White Sox are one win away from World Series

SOX WIN ALCS
Konerko, Eddings Share MVP

October 27, 2005
We Were with you the Whole Time.

http://www.geocities.com/mr_patriots/cubune1.JPG

1.7 MILLION CONVERGE ON LOOP FOR RARE MIDDAY STEVE PERRY CONCERT
"I HAD NO IDEA I WAS STILL THAT POPULAR," SAYS FORMER JOURNEY FRONTMAN

Sox Apparel Flying Off The Rack!
-Police profile shoplifting Sox fans.

DaleJRFan
02-24-2006, 12:59 PM
Any updates on the cubune.com project?

Nah, not really. I designed it and picked the first 6 headlines/stories. I need to find another writer to complete thre stories - based on the headlines and I also need to get off of my lazy ass and get in real contact with SoxFanAtlanta about getting the ball rolling.

EDIT: I want to have it ready for Opening Day.. if that's considered a "real update" :redneck

Hangar18
02-24-2006, 01:40 PM
20 years X 365 days worth of Tribune headlines..............