PDA

View Full Version : So Why Werent the 2005 WS White Sox NOT featured on a Wheaties box?

Hangar18
01-05-2006, 11:50 AM
Im very curious about this. I know the last WS Winning team to be on was the 1999 Yankees. Wasnt our WS win just as dominating? Just as work-man like? I never did hear an "official" reason why the SOX were ignored.

patbooyah
01-05-2006, 11:51 AM
well, mr. ortiz, i can tell you this much: your thread title is a double negative. :D:

HomeFish
01-05-2006, 11:56 AM
Mark Buehrle was on the Wheaties box. I have a Wheaties box with him on it sitting on my desk. If anyone actually likes Wheaties, I can arrange to have the contents shipped to you, because I want them out of that box before they start rotting.

Fenway
01-05-2006, 11:57 AM
huh?
http://i19.ebayimg.com/04/i/05/c2/f6/a2_1.JPG

Wheaties Honors World Series Champion Chicago White Sox

10/27/2005

Wheaties announced the release of a special-edition package honoring the 2005 World Series Champion Chicago White Sox, following their World Series sweep of the Houston Astros.

White Sox pitcher Mark Buehrle is prominently featured on both the front and back of the package. This is the first time the Chicago White Sox have been featured on a Wheaties package.
The new Wheaties box will be available nationally by mid-November.

http://www.generalmills.com/corporate/media_center/news_release_detail.aspx?itemID=12751&catID=227

doogiec
01-05-2006, 11:58 AM
And the back of that same Wheaties box has a very nice tribute to the entire 2005 White Sox team and season.

I think Wheaties did their part this year.

Rocky Soprano
01-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Im very curious about this. I know the last WS Winning team to be on was the 1999 Yankees. Wasnt our WS win just as dominating? Just as work-man like? I never did hear an "official" reason why the SOX were ignored.

So Mark Buehrle, was not enough?

soxfan26
01-05-2006, 12:02 PM
Hangar18 and hanger are viewing this thread right now. :?:

Who is this new hanger? Is he or she in anyway affiliated with the old Hangar?

Hangar18
01-05-2006, 12:02 PM
So Mark Buehrle, was not enough?

Well, when you look at that box, it makes you think that MB was the man responsible for winning the WS, and not the team. The 2005 White Sox were most definitely, a TEAM that won it all, with all the different stars doing their part daily. KW even alludes to that during the Parade and on both videos .........the SOX won as a TEAM. My question, was there any official reason to ignore the SOX as a team and just go with Mark Buehrle?

Hangar18
01-05-2006, 12:04 PM
Hangar18 and hanger are viewing this thread right now. :?:

Who is this new hanger? Is he or she in anyway affiliated with the old Hangar?

I know, ive seen this person before ........that other name is Misleading.
maybe WSI should make them change their name? heh heh
Wait til someone signs up under PaleHoseGeorgiou

soxfan26
01-05-2006, 12:04 PM
My question, was there any official reason to ignore the SOX as a team and just go with Mark Buehrle?

Just add the marketing team over at Wheaties to your long list of people who hate the Sox and their fans and call it a day.

Rocky Soprano
01-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Well, when you look at that box, it makes you think that MB was the man responsible for winning the WS, and not the team. The 2005 White Sox were most definitely, a TEAM that won it all, with all the different stars doing their part daily. KW even alludes to that during the Parade and on both videos .........the SOX won as a TEAM. My question, was there any official reason to ignore the SOX as a team and just go with Mark Buehrle?

See now you have a different question.
Your first post made it seem like the Sox got no respect at all.

I for one was happy to see Mark got on the box.

HomeFish
01-05-2006, 12:07 PM
I'm willing to bet that Wheaties had designs prepared for all 8 playoff teams at the beginning of the playoffs. They probably just picked the most prominent or steady member of each team.

Except maybe for the Cardinals, because Pujols was on the Wheaties box before the playoffs began.

spiffie
01-05-2006, 12:09 PM
The Tribune Co. owns Wheaties, and by doing this is attempting to drive a wedge between MB and the rest of the team. Just watch for all of the "Is Buehrle Bigger Than the Team?" stories in the Trib all spring.

samram
01-05-2006, 12:11 PM
I'll bet the Tribune Company bought General Mills. Yeah, that explains it.:rolleyes:

voodoochile
01-05-2006, 12:11 PM
You're losing it Henry...:tongue:

This is a stretch even by your tinfoil standards...:rolleyes:

:costas:
"And the world waits to see when Hangar will regain his form. The recent spate of signings on top of the World Series title has left this master of perceived conspiracies stretching for bias at a rate that Mr Fantastic would find impressive. Adrift in a whirless pool as shallow as...(microphone cuts off)"

:boston;
"Well, Bob, the truth is that the Red Sox... (microphone cuts off)

:farmer:
"I'm with you Hangar and I mean Hangar18 which is a great rock song and actually means a place to store airplanes, and not something you hang a dress on. No Sox player should have to stand and salute the Canadian... (microphone cuts off)

:hawk:
"That reminds me of the time... (microphone cuts off)

:DJ:
"Uh... (microphone cuts off)

:threadsucks:

mjharrison72
01-05-2006, 12:12 PM
Mark Buehrle was on the Wheaties box. I have a Wheaties box with him on it sitting on my desk. If anyone actually likes Wheaties, I can arrange to have the contents shipped to you, because I want them out of that box before they start rotting.
Open the box from the bottom and take them out, then re-tape it shut. Then you can go to the Container Store and get a cereal box holder specifically designed for such empty Wheaties boxes (that is, if you don't have an amazing wife who got you one for Christmas:D:). Of course you're still stuck with that vile-tasting cereal, but I've found it's palatable with sliced bananas in it.

Fenway
01-05-2006, 12:13 PM
Hanger

Given the fact the Yankees had won 4 of 5 championships, you can see they tried to mix things up

The 1999 box for example featured Torre
http://www.geocities.com/thewheatiesking2/nyyankees98.jpghttp://www.dandythings.com/yankeewhea.jpg

The Red Sox box featured Ortiz
http://www.bibliotechno.com/images/ortiz_wheaties.jpg

TDog
01-05-2006, 12:20 PM
All I can find in Juneau, Alaska, is the Roberto Clemente box.

MadetoOrta
01-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Up until about September 30, 2005, I found myself agreeing all too often with Hangar18. Since then, the quality of the posts frankly has gone down. I say keep touring with the replica and provide weekly updates on stupid cub fan moments. This thread subject truly blows. I was glad to see Burls on the box. He and Paulie are the face of the World Champion Chicago White Sox.

Hangar18
01-05-2006, 12:23 PM
Hanger

Given the fact the Yankees had won 4 of 5 championships, you can see they tried to mix things up

The 1999 box for example featured Torre
http://www.geocities.com/thewheatiesking2/nyyankees98.jpghttp://www.dandythings.com/yankeewhea.jpg

The Red Sox box featured Ortiz
http://www.bibliotechno.com/images/ortiz_wheaties.jpg

THis answer probably answers the Original Question best .........

Flight #24
01-05-2006, 12:51 PM
THis answer probably answers the Original Question best .........

Actually, I was in the airport and heard someone carrying a Tribune (obviously an employee of the corporation), and talking on their cell phone saying "Yes, it is unacceptable, notify General Mills that their advertising will be compromised unless they restrict the presence of the 'false champions' on the box. Also, please confirm that the 'Young Guns' box is ready for April release with Wood, Prior, & Zambrano'"

Mickster
01-05-2006, 12:58 PM
Actually, I was in the airport and heard someone carrying a Tribune (obviously an employee of the corporation), and talking on their cell phone saying "Yes, it is unacceptable, notify General Mills that their advertising will be compromised unless they restrict the presence of the 'false champions' on the box. Also, please confirm that the 'Young Guns' box is ready for April release with Wood, Prior, & Zambrano'"

Was it this man?

:sahaf

zach23
01-05-2006, 12:59 PM
But we still don't have an answer as to why the Wheaties box was not interviewed on Conan or Jay Leno. This is an outrage.

I find it hilarious that David Wells' picture was on a box of something that is healthy to eat.

kittle42
01-05-2006, 01:04 PM
Hangar, we're friends and all, but I can't believe you actually had an issue with Buehrle being the only one on the box. I mean, I am the complaining type, but geeezzz....

MsSoxVixen22
01-05-2006, 01:07 PM
I'm just happy the WHITE SOX are on the wheaties box! I'm just as happy that Mark was on the box. Mark, IMHO is the captain (or co captain if you will) of the Sox. Would you have been mad if it was Ozzie on the box, hoisting the trophy? I wouldn't! I have the box at home as we speak! :D:

Flight #24
01-05-2006, 01:08 PM
But we still don't have an answer as to why the Wheaties box was not interviewed on Conan or Jay Leno. This is an outrage.

I find it hilarious that David Wells' picture was on a box of something that is healthy to eat.

Not when you eat 5 boxes in 1 sitting, and pour beer and whiskey over them.

:XL (drool)

zach23
01-05-2006, 01:11 PM
Not when you eat 5 boxes in 1 sitting, and pour beer and whiskey over them.

:XL (drool)

Only 5 boxes in 1 sitting? That would be just a warmup for him.
Unless of course the 5 boxes came with a side of lard and 2 lbs. of bacon.

kittle42
01-05-2006, 01:13 PM
I'm just happy the WHITE SOX are on the wheaties box! I'm just as happy that Mark was on the box. Mark, IMHO is the captain (or co captain if you will) of the Sox. Would you have been mad if it was Ozzie on the box, hoisting the trophy? I wouldn't! I have the box at home as we speak! :D:

Hangar will not rest until Willie Harris is featured on a box of Wheaties. He scored the winning run, after all!

jdm2662
01-05-2006, 01:17 PM
I was mighty confused when I opened this thread. Then, I realized I should've known better. What next, Hangar wondering why no one was willing to give the White Sox a record deal for the World Series Shuffle?? Or, why haven't the Super Fans done a Hula Dance in honor of the Sox???

DaleJRFan
01-05-2006, 01:27 PM
"I'm with you Hangar and I mean Hangar18 which is a great rock song and actually means a place to store airplanes, and not something you hang a dress on. No Sox player should have to stand and salute the Canadian... (microphone cuts off)

:roflmao:

I think I just pulled something in my back laughing... oh man.... the scary thing is you NAILED IT.

buehrle4cy05
01-05-2006, 02:35 PM

Kingxerxes would be proud.:cool: :rolling:

SoxFan78
01-05-2006, 02:41 PM
Hangar, instead of pointing your hatred towards Wheaties by only have Buehrle on the cover, you should investigate the reason why the White Sox werent on the cover of SI when the won it all? If anybody can get to the bottom of it, you sure can!

davenicholson
01-06-2006, 10:06 AM
Kingxerxes would be proud.:cool: :rolling:
God, I miss The King's posts. Anyone heard from him?

Hangar18
01-06-2006, 10:12 AM
Hangar, instead of pointing your hatred towards Wheaties by only have Buehrle on the cover, you should investigate the reason why the White Sox werent on the cover of SI when the won it all? If anybody can get to the bottom of it, you sure can!

Dont get me started on that, it was bogus what SI pulled. I heard this mentioned on ESPN radio really quickly (...couldnt even make the SI cover)
so people are starting to wonder about that too :)

PushnThaEscalade
01-06-2006, 10:25 AM
Dont get me started on that, it was bogus what SI pulled. I heard this mentioned on ESPN radio really quickly (...couldnt even make the SI cover)
so people are starting to wonder about that too :)

Only In America. :cool:

voodoochile
01-06-2006, 10:27 AM
Only Hangar. :rolleyes:
Fixed your post... :tongue:

PushnThaEscalade
01-06-2006, 10:30 AM
Fixed your post... :tongue:

how very true. Sad, but true.

Just messin' with ya Hangar! :tongue:

kittle42
01-06-2006, 12:42 PM
Would you be happier if the Sox were to be featured on the season preview edition of SI so they can incur the ever-fashionable "SI cover jinx"? :D:

Dan Mega
01-06-2006, 01:16 PM
Would you be happier if the Sox were to be featured on the season preview edition of SI so they can incur the ever-fashionable "SI cover jinx"? :D:

SI's World Series Winner Predictions the last few years from the baseball preview editions (with the actual winner in parentheses):

1999- Yankees (Yankees)
2000- Red Sox (Yankees)
2001- Yankees (Diamondbacks)
2002- Yankees (Angels)
2003- Athletics (Marlins)
2004- Cubs (Red Sox)
2005- Yankees (White Sox)

So if their pattern of being wrong continues, I hope they don't pick the Sox.

batmanZoSo
01-06-2006, 01:30 PM
huh?

10/27/2005

Wheaties announced the release of a special-edition package honoring the 2005 World Series Champion Chicago White Sox, following their World Series sweep of the Houston Astros.

White Sox pitcher Mark Buehrle is prominently featured on both the front and back of the package. This is the first time the Chicago White Sox have been featured on a Wheaties package.
The new Wheaties box will be available nationally by mid-November.

http://www.generalmills.com/corporate/media_center/news_release_detail.aspx?itemID=12751&catID=227

No. We want the entire team. Plus Bafia. And Poppy Hidalgo. And three randomly-chosen "blue-collar" fans from Bridgeport. Then we'll be happy.

RKMeibalane
01-06-2006, 01:56 PM

Shaddup.

TheVulture
01-06-2006, 07:01 PM
So Why Weren't the 2005 WS White Sox NOT featured on a Wheaties box?

I'm confused, does this mean the Sox actually were featured on a wheaties box?

Malgar 12
01-06-2006, 07:33 PM
well, mr. ortiz, i can tell you this much: your thread title is a double negative. :D:

It aint no dang double negative!

gobears1987
01-07-2006, 11:45 PM
I'm willing to bet that Wheaties had designs prepared for all 8 playoff teams at the beginning of the playoffs. They probably just picked the most prominent or steady member of each team.

Except maybe for the Cardinals, because Pujols was on the Wheaties box before the playoffs began.I'm willing to bet you're right.

Reni
01-08-2006, 10:45 PM

Except maybe for the Cardinals, because Pujols was on the Wheaties box before the playoffs began.

he's been on the box for some time.....maybe from the 2004 series? I just seem to remember seeing him on it as far back as last year (04)

hempsox
01-31-2006, 10:29 PM
But coming to you live from Des Moines...home of crappy cubs minor league team...The Sox Wheaties box.

I'm fairly certain that I scared some people when I held the box above my head and yelled "Yes!" in the middle of Hy-Vee in the burbs here. My wife is thinking that I need therapy. My son however was nice enough to give me a "Let's Go White Sox!". He's 4.

bigfoot
02-01-2006, 04:50 AM
General Mills and Man Soo Lee's agent couldn't come to an agreement on face(cigar) placement and royalties.

thomas35forever
02-05-2006, 12:47 AM
huh?

That box is in my pantry right now. It's not even empty yet.

gaelhound
02-05-2006, 09:05 AM
General Mills Minneapolis What are you trying to figure out?