PDA

View Full Version : Deflating the tall tales of baseball

Fenway
01-05-2006, 11:33 AM
http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2006/01/05/deflating_the_tall_tales_of_baseball/

The book also tries to settle such burning debates as:
Which team had the ugliest uniforms ever? (No, not the Houston Astros with their orange-rainbow shirts, and not the McDonald's-like brown and yellow attire of the San Diego Padres, but the mid-1970s Chicago White Sox with their floppy-collared tunics and, for one game, shorts.)

Hangar18
01-05-2006, 11:36 AM
http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2006/01/05/deflating_the_tall_tales_of_baseball/

Which team had the ugliest uniforms ever? (No, not the Houston Astros with their orange-rainbow shirts, and not the McDonald's-like brown and yellow attire of the San Diego Padres, but the mid-1970s Chicago White Sox with their floppy-collared tunics and, for one game, shorts.)

You know ...........when I was a kid, I always wondered why we had uniforms like that ..........

HomeFish
01-05-2006, 11:38 AM
Four words into the article you know its gonna be good.

HomeFish
01-05-2006, 11:41 AM

Actually, upon reading the article, I take that back. But the first four words are still pretty good.

Fenway
01-05-2006, 11:51 AM
AAA Pawtucket plays the full verson by Carly Simon. IMHO maybe the best recording of the song

During his research, Bloom was surprised to learn there were two versions of ''Take Me Out to the Ballgame," and that the 1908 original actually starts out, ''Katie Casey was baseball mad/Had the fever and had it bad."

Katie Casey was base ball mad.
Had the fever and had it bad;
Just to root for the home town crew,
Ev'ry sou Katie blew.
On a Saturday, he young beau
Called to see if she'd like to go,
To see a show but Miss Kate said,
"No, I'll tell you what you can do."

"Take me out to the ball game,
Take me out with the crowd.
Buy me some peanuts and cracker jack,
I don't care if I never get back,
Let me root, root, root for the home team,
If they don't win it's a shame.
For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out,
At the old ball game."

Katie Casey saw all the games,
Knew the players by their first names;
Told the umpire he was wrong,
All along good and strong.
When the score was just two to two,
Katie Casey knew what to do,
Just to cheer up the boys she knew,
She made the gang sing this song:

For it's one, two, three strikes, your out,
At the old ball game."

goofymsfan
01-05-2006, 12:19 PM
I friend of mine found that version of the song and downloaded it. I have it on my "Baseball Collection CD" that I put together. She did a great job on the song.

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-05-2006, 12:26 PM
Would it be a copyright infringement to have the 1st 4 words of that article as POTW material??? :smile:

Fenway
01-05-2006, 12:29 PM
Would it be a copyright infringement to have the 1st 4 words of that article as POTW material??? :smile:

I think our feelings about McCarver are in the public domain :tongue:

"In the time it's taken to play this game you could have flown from Baltimore to Iceland."

funny website
http://www.shutuptimmccarver.com/images/needone.jpg

DaleJRFan
01-05-2006, 01:01 PM
99.9999% Born, Raised, Confirmed SOX fan

Is the other .0001% Cubbie Blue??? :redneck

Railsplitter
01-06-2006, 09:37 AM
AAA Pawtucket plays the full verson by Carly Simon. IMHO maybe the best recording of the song

Katie Casey was base ball mad.

Had the fever and had it bad;
Just to root for the home town crew,
Ev'ry sou Katie blew.
On a Saturday, he young beau
Called to see if she'd like to go,
To see a show but Miss Kate said,
"No, I'll tell you what you can do."

For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out,
At the old ball game."

Katie Casey saw all the games,
Knew the players by their first names;
Told the umpire he was wrong,
All along good and strong.
When the score was just two to two,
Katie Casey knew what to do,
Just to cheer up the boys she knew,
She made the gang sing this song:

For it's one, two, three strikes, your out,
At the old ball game."

My kind of lady, Katie Casey :supernana:

Actually, the first verse appears in the companion volume to Ken Burns' Baseball

Fenway
01-06-2006, 09:47 AM
My kind of lady, Katie Casey :supernana:

Actually, the first verse appears in the companion volume to Ken Burns' Baseball

Carly Simon made the cover at the request of Ken Burns for the PBS Baseball series.

"Take Me Out to the Ball Game" was co-written in 1908 by lyricist Jack Norworth (who also wrote "Shine on Harvest Moon") and composer Albert Von Tilzer. Inspired by a subway billboard, Norworth wrote the song without ever having actually been at a game. (He finally attended a major league baseball game 34 years later.)

"So what?" Norworth was quoted as saying in Three Men on Third by Carl Sifakis. "Harry William wrote 'In the Shade of the Old Apple Tree,' and I am sure he never saw a blade of grass. If he ever got three blocks off 26th Street in Manhattan, it was a great occasion."

TommyJohn
01-06-2006, 10:10 AM
I thought that the article was terrific. I would like to see that book when it comes out. In fact, I'd love to write such a book myself. A few myths I'd tackle:

1. Babe Ruth called his shot in the 1932 World Series
2. the 1947 Cardinals were ready to go on strike against Jackie Robinson
3. Eddie Cicotte was denied a $10,000 bonus by Charles Comiskey (hell, you could devote a whole chapter to 1919)
4. The 1984 Cubs were denied a home playoff game in the NLCS.
5. The 1967 White Sox needed to win 1 of their last 5 games to clinch the AL pennant (this is a new one, propogated by that goofus Mike North. The baseball world at large doesn't know about it)
6. The late 1990's "curse" phenomenon.
7. The "blue collar trash" White Sox fans stereotype.
8. Fan incidents only happen at Sox Park.
9. Steve Bartman single-handedly cost the 2003 Cubs the pennant. (P.S.-don't tell Lester Munson I think Bartman is innocent. he might want to murder me, too.)
10. Bill Buckner's error cost the 1986 Red Sox the World Series.
11. Don Denkinger's blown call in 1985 single-handedly handed the Royals the World Series.

I'd also include a rant against nutjob whacko crazy ******* jerk fans who take it so seriously that they literally ruin the lives of people like Buckner and Bartman and are literally proud of the fact that they are closet sociopaths.

It would have a lot more, although it would predictably be White Sox-centric which means it wouldn't sell since all 10 White Sox fans can't even read.

Fenway
01-06-2006, 10:28 AM
I thought that the article was terrific. I would like to see that book when it comes out. In fact, I'd love to write such a book myself. A few myths I'd tackle:

5. The 1967 White Sox needed to win 1 of their last 5 games to clinch the AL pennant (this is a new one, propogated by that goofus Mike North. The baseball world at large doesn't know about it)

10. Bill Buckner's error cost the 1986 Red Sox the World Series.

Is North THAT stupid???? The 67 White Sox ended with 89 wins, 3 less than Boston. In the final week it looked like the White Sox had the best shot playing Kansas City and Washington and when Boston lost 2 at home to Cleveland it appeared to be the White Sox's pennant to lose. But then they had a doubleheader in Kansas City...

Buckner wasn't the goat. Any Red Sox fan will tell you it was Rich Gedman who allowed a pitch to get behind him. It was called a WP but most people think it was a PB. Lou Gorman wrote in his book about 86 that Bob Stanley and Gedman came to blows over it.

Railsplitter
01-06-2006, 10:52 AM
I have a book called The 50 Biggest Baseball Myths. Much of what's in this thread can be deflated there.

Railsplitter
01-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Is North THAT stupid???? The 67 White Sox ended with 89 wins, 3 less than Boston. In the final week it looked like the White Sox had the best shot playing Kansas City and Washington and when Boston lost 2 at home to Cleveland it appeared to be the White Sox's pennant to lose. But then they had a doubleheader in Kansas City...

Buckner wasn't the goat. Any Red Sox fan will tell you it was Rich Gedman who allowed a pitch to get behind him. It was called a WP but most people think it was a PB. Lou Gorman wrote in his book about 86 that Bob Stanley and Gedman came to blows over it.

Let's not forget picther Calvin Schiraldi, who let the guys get on base in the first place.

Fenway
01-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Let's not forget picther Calvin Schiraldi, who let the guys get on base in the first place.

Schiradi never should have started the 10th after escaping the 9th only because Davey Johnson's horrible managing. Stanley pitches the 10th, Dan Shaugnessey's children would have been going to a Community College as there would have been no book and movie :angry:

TommyJohn
01-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Is North THAT stupid????

Um....why do you feel the need to even ask that question?

Lip Man 1
01-06-2006, 12:28 PM
Fenway:

I've brought up the doofuses comment three or four times here in the past. Yes he said that on Chicago Tribune Live! What an idiot.

Lip

DenverSock
01-06-2006, 01:18 PM
How come nobody mentioned Pesky holding the throw while Enos Slaughter rounded the bases?

BTW, I believe that they found newsreel footage of the Babe's at bat in the '32 Series. Saw it played on CBS News years ago. He pointed twice to the Bleachers. It that's calling your shot, he called it. I am, however, not a mind reader, especially when it comes to somebody who died before I was born.

batmanZoSo
01-06-2006, 01:24 PM

The floppy-collared tunic is beautiful, I don't care what anybody says. I'm gonna buy one if I can find one.

SOXintheBURGH
01-06-2006, 01:31 PM
The floppy-collared tunic is beautiful, I don't care what anybody says. I'm gonna buy one if I can find one.

Buy two, we can wear them at PNC in June.

I'll provide the thigh high shorts.

Iwritecode
01-06-2006, 01:45 PM

What about the fact that it was only game 6? Same thing with Bartman...

One more myth that I'm already hearing:

The umpires blown call on AJ's strikeout in game 2 of the ALCS caused the Angels to lose the game. :rolleyes:

1951Campbell
01-06-2006, 02:06 PM
:rolling:

Stanley pitches the 10th, Dan Shaugnessey's children would have been going to a Community College as there would have been no book and movie :angry:

EastCoastSoxFan
01-06-2006, 03:28 PM
Another humorous myth that has been strenuously "defended" and at times strenuously "debunked" is Grover Cleveland Alexander pitching the last 2 1/3 innings of the 1926 World Series (including a bases loaded strikeout of Tony Lazzeri to end the 7th) while under the influence of alcohol (or at least a nasty hangover).
Perhaps some Cardinals historians among us have an opinion...

TommyJohn
01-06-2006, 03:45 PM
What about the fact that it was only game 6? Same thing with Bartman...

One more myth that I'm already hearing:

The umpires blown call on AJ's strikeout in game 2 of the ALCS caused the Angels to lose the game. :rolleyes:

Sure. If AJ strikes out and doesn't run to 1st, the Angels win the game 1-1.

TheDarkGundam
01-06-2006, 04:12 PM
How come nobody mentioned Pesky holding the throw while Enos Slaughter rounded the bases?

BTW, I believe that they found newsreel footage of the Babe's at bat in the '32 Series. Saw it played on CBS News years ago. He pointed twice to the Bleachers. It that's calling your shot, he called it. I am, however, not a mind reader, especially when it comes to somebody who died before I was born.
Actually, according to that one commercial, he was just pointing to the beer guy. But now that I think about it, a beer commercial probably isn't a reliable source.:redneck

DenverSock
01-08-2006, 12:37 PM
Actually, according to that one commercial, he was just pointing to the beer guy. But now that I think about it, a beer commercial probably isn't a reliable source.:redneck
And he didn't buy any for us!

Hokiesox
01-09-2006, 09:25 AM
I found this version of the song:

Verse 1

NELLY KELLY LOVED BASEBALL GAMES,
KNEW THE PLAYERS, KNEW ALL THEIR NAMES,
YOU COULD SEE HER THERE EV'RY DAY, SHOUT "HURRAY!" WHEN THEY'D PLAY.
HER BOY FRIEND BY THE NAME OF JOE, SAID, "TO CONEY ISLE DEAR, LET'S GO."
THEN NELLY STARTED TO FRET AND POUT, AND TO HIM I HEARD HER SHOUT:

Chorus 1

TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALL GAME, TAKE ME OUT WITH THE CROWD;
BUY ME SOME PEANUTS AND CRACKER JACK,
I DON'T CARE IF I EVER GET BACK,
LET ME ROOT, ROOT, ROOT FOR THE HOME TEAM,
IF THEY DON'T WIN IT'S A SHAME;
FOR IT'S ONE, TWO, THREE STRIKES, YOU'RE OUT AT THE OLD BALL GAME

Verse 2

NELLIE KELLY WAS SURE SOME FAN, SHE WOULD ROOT JUST LIKE A NY MAN,
TOLD THE UMPIRE HE WAS WRONG, ALL ALONG, GOOD AND STRONG.
WHEN THE SCORE WAS JUST TWO TO TWO, NELLY KELLY KNEW WHAT TO DO.
JUST TO CHEER UP THE BOYS SHE KNEW, SHE MADE THE GANG SING THIS SONG.

Chorus 2

Verse 3

KATIE CASEY WAS BASEBALL MAD, HAD THE FEVER AND HAD IT BAD,
JUST TO ROOT FOR THE HOME TOWN CREW, EV'RY SOUND KATIE BLEW,
ON A SATURDAY HER YOUNG BEAU, CALLED TO SEE IF SHE'D LIKE TO GO,
TO SEE A SHOW BUT MISS KATE SAID, "NO, I'LL TELL YOU WHAT YOU CAN DO"

Chorus 3

http://www.dltk-kids.com/crafts/summer/ballgame.htm

TornLabrum
01-09-2006, 05:19 PM
The "Nellie Kelly" verse was the second version of the song.

Fenway
01-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Norworth rewrote the song in 1927

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take_Me_Out_to_the_Ballgame#History_of_the_song

Whitesox029
01-09-2006, 10:12 PM
:D:Hahaha! Classic!