PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Williams Shows His Hand

kevin57
01-05-2006, 07:18 AM
We've been speculating for weeks about what other moves the Sox may make before ST. The Trib today provides some insight from the mouth of Kenny Williams. Let me summarize the content...

1. Contreras may be dealt but for Tejada, no. He would be dealt only for more pitching. Discuss.

2. KW is trying to get all the necessary pieces of a championship team together for "a good three-year run at this." Discuss.

3. KW is quite content with six starters: a) you never have enough starting pitching, b) last year the starting rotation pitched a lot of innings; that sixth arm provides some rest and/or insurance against injury, and c) it allow BMac to ease into the rotation. Discuss.

4. The sticking point with a deal for Contreras is in the number of years. Discuss.

5. No deal for Crede is expected until arbitration salary figures are exchanged later this month. Discuss.

Frater Perdurabo
01-05-2006, 08:23 AM
Kenny is the GM whose team most recently won the World Series, so he gets the benefit of the doubt.

In addition, stockpiling starting pitching for a three-year run is extremely smart for any GM to do. I cannot think of a recent World Series winner that didn't have strong starting pitching, or didn't get amazing starting pitching performances from at least two pitchers in a less-than-stellar rotation.

Furthermore, given the fact that three of the Sox starters plan to pitch in the WBC, and given that five of them threw lots of innings and pitched in the World Series last year, it's smart for Kenny to go into the 2006 season with six starters.

Although he would make their offense into a juggernaut, the Sox don't need Tejada. They already are the best team on paper, and are better (again, on paper) than their World Series-winning 2005 team. Adding Tejada would be akin to the "law of diminishing returns" in that he would come at the expense of one starting pitcher plus Uribe and a prospect, which might turn them from a 105-win team to a 115-win team, but then again without the insurance the sixth starter provides, it also could turn them into a 90-win team that makes an early playoff exit if another one of the starters goes down to injury.

So, I am in favor of going into the season with six starters. Whoever among the six performs the poorest can go to the bullpen and bump the weakest bullpen guy down to Charlotte.

Ol' No. 2
01-05-2006, 09:05 AM
We've been speculating for weeks about what other moves the Sox may make before ST. The Trib today provides some insight from the mouth of Kenny Williams. Let me summarize the content...

1. Contreras may be dealt but for Tejada, no. He would be dealt only for more pitching. Discuss.

2. KW is trying to get all the necessary pieces of a championship team together for "a good three-year run at this." Discuss.

3. KW is quite content with six starters: a) you never have enough starting pitching, b) last year the starting rotation pitched a lot of innings; that sixth arm provides some rest and/or insurance against injury, and c) it allow BMac to ease into the rotation. Discuss.

4. The sticking point with a deal for Contreras is in the number of years. Discuss.

5. No deal for Crede is expected until arbitration salary figures are exchanged later this month. Discuss.They also said publicly that Damaso Marte would be a part of the team in 2006...right before they traded him. One thing you can be sure of: Kenny is NOT tipping his hand.

rdivaldi
01-05-2006, 09:09 AM
They also said publicly that Damaso Marte would be a part of the team in 2006...right before they traded him. One thing you can be sure of: Kenny is NOT tipping his hand.

Damn straight. I heard KW on the radio a couple of days before the Vazquez trade stating that they were basically done dealing. If anything that article makes me think that something else is in the pipeline. :smile:

Hitmen77
01-05-2006, 09:21 AM
I agree that Contreras + Uribe PLUS a top prospect or McCarthy is too much to pay for Tejada. I agree with KW, pitching wins championships.

Since most Sox players are fairly young and it didn't appear to me that many players had "career" years last year, then I think locking up alot of the current squad gives us a good shot at more runs at the championship.

I completely agree with KW here. My fear in trading Jose was that we'd run into trouble somewhere in our rotation during the season (injury, tired arm, subpar performance, etc.) and we'd be stuck with our old problem of not being able to find a 5th starter that won't get clobbered every time out. Aside from these concerns in general, my more specific concerns are 1) BMac might not be quite ready yet and 2) Vazquez will not suddenly turn things around and become the all-star pitcher he was before the last 1.5 subpar seasons.

4. The sticking point with a deal for Contreras is in the number of years. Discuss. Given the question marks about his true age and also the fact that he's only had 0.5 seasons of great pitching under his belt, I agree with the Sox reluctance to sign him to 3/36.

5. No deal for Crede is expected until arbitration salary figures are exchanged later this month. Discuss.
Crede had back problems, a history of hitting poorly for the first 4-5 months of a season, and Scott Boras as an agent. I don't expect any deal between him and the Sox.

kittle42
01-05-2006, 09:51 AM
It all just sounds like the regular crap anyone would spew to the media. Discuss. :cool:

Iwritecode
01-05-2006, 09:55 AM
Discuss.

Can we add this to the list of banned words for 2006?

Maybe it's just me but anytime a new thread is created I thought it's pretty obvious that the points made are up for discussion...

cheeses_h_rice
01-05-2006, 09:59 AM

Maybe it's just me but anytime a new thread is created I thought it's pretty obvious that the points made are up for discussion...

IWC makes a good point.

Talk amongst yourselves.

:)

voodoochile
01-05-2006, 10:17 AM

On a message board? NO WAY...

I don't have a problem with what KW is saying either way. I think he has the right idea about Crede. I think the Sox can use another bat but are not desperate for one, so they are dealing from a position of strength and the deal should favor them to some extent without a lot of throwins from our end.

I trust KW to do the right thing. He not only built us one contender he has put together the core of a team that will be together at least the next two years. It's a whole new way to run the Sox and I love it...

daveeym
01-05-2006, 10:18 AM
I completely agree with KW here. My fear in trading Jose was that we'd run into trouble somewhere in our rotation during the season (injury, tired arm, subpar performance, etc.) and we'd be stuck with our old problem of not being able to find a 5th starter that won't get clobbered every time out. Aside from these concerns in general, my more specific concerns are 1) BMac might not be quite ready yet and 2) Vazquez will not suddenly turn things around and become the all-star pitcher he was before the last 1.5 subpar seasons.

This argument against trading a pitcher for a major offensive upgrade has been bothering me. Yes, prior to last year the 5 spot was a major concern, but the sox also didn't have a 1-4 like they do now. Even if Jose is traded it takes two significant injuries at the same time to really derail this staff. The sox have the best 1-5 in the game no matter which 5 you choose. Even if you take 4 and a college pitcher it's the best 1-5.

Have at it.

GoSox2K3
01-05-2006, 10:25 AM
It all just sounds like the regular crap anyone would spew to the media. Discuss. :cool:

So direct quotes from KW are considered "regular crap anyone would spew to the media" and now we need to give people a hard time for bringing them up on WSI? :?:

kittle42
01-05-2006, 10:34 AM
So direct quotes from KW are considered "regular crap anyone would spew to the media" and now we need to give people a hard time for bringing them up on WSI? :?:

Yes.

Jjav829
01-05-2006, 10:36 AM

Allow me to post a very important quote that backs up what I had previously told all the "Trade Crede because Boras is his agent" people.

Crede told the Daily Southtown in July that he wanted to continue his career on the South Side and that if he believed his representation was not keeping his best interest in mind, "I'd make some changes."

Hitmen77
01-05-2006, 10:39 AM
This argument against trading a pitcher for a major offensive upgrade has been bothering me. Yes, prior to last year the 5 spot was a major concern, but the sox also didn't have a 1-4 like they do now. Even if Jose is traded it takes two significant injuries at the same time to really derail this staff. The sox have the best 1-5 in the game no matter which 5 you choose. Even if you take 4 and a college pitcher it's the best 1-5.

Have at it.

You bring up a good argument for a trade. I'm not confortable with trading Jose without getting any pitching back, but it is a tough call if a really good deal came along where we could trade him straight up for a major offensive upgrade.

I'd say if we had no major injuries we should be fine because even if Vazquez or McCarthy are less than stellar this year, they would suffice as 5th starters. With a significant injury, however, we might be going back to the days were our 5th starter spot has a combined ERA of 9.00 (shudder).

SoxSpeed22
01-05-2006, 10:44 AM

Maybe it's just me but anytime a new thread is created I thought it's pretty obvious that the points made are up for discussion...At least it's not "your thoughts?" Mainly because of the worst thread ever.

Ol' No. 2
01-05-2006, 10:49 AM

Have at it.Absolutely. McCarthy would be wasted in the pen. The starters we have are all confirmed horses with no history of injury. Anything is possible and one of them could take a line drive off the noggin, but it's crazy to forgo a sure-thing upgrade in a position on the slim chance that they could be left with a problem at the 5th starter spot.

kittle42
01-05-2006, 11:14 AM
Absolutely. McCarthy would be wasted in the pen. The starters we have are all confirmed horses with no history of injury. Anything is possible and one of them could take a line drive off the noggin, but it's crazy to forgo a sure-thing upgrade in a position on the slim chance that they could be left with a problem at the 5th starter spot.

Buehrle started in the pen. So did Garland (I think). Now neither of those two was really as obviously awesome as McCarthy, but what's the harm in putting him there for a season?

Ol' No. 2
01-05-2006, 12:27 PM
Buehrle started in the pen. So did Garland (I think). Now neither of those two was really as obviously awesome as McCarthy, but what's the harm in putting him there for a season?Buehrle and Garland were significantly younger and less experienced. It's not that there's any harm in having him pitch out of the pen. It's just that they're not getting any real value from him doing that. IMO, they'd be far better off trading either Contreras or Vazquez for a significant upgrade elsewhere and having McCarthy in the rotation. They incur no big loss in the starting rotation and get the upgrade in a position player. The only cost is the unlikely chance of having one of the starters go down and not having a top replacement. But I don't think you give up a sure improvement in the roster on the off chance that one of the starters (who have NO history of injuries) goes down. It's a chance well worth taking.

TheOldRoman
01-05-2006, 12:52 PM
To answer the tread titlte - Kenny Williams is not showing his hand.
Kenny only shows you his had before he backhands you with it.
The man is still hard at work. Expect another huge move.

1951Campbell
01-05-2006, 12:54 PM
KW doesn't slap people. He just shows his hand and people run into it. :D:

Tekijawa
01-05-2006, 01:02 PM

Kenny Williams has no hands to show... he just uses the Force!

DaleJRFan
01-05-2006, 01:06 PM
To answer the tread titlte - Kenny Williams is not showing his hand.
Kenny only shows you his had before he backhands you with it.
The man is still hard at work. Expect another huge move.

Kenny Williams has no hands to show... he just uses the Force!

Oh no... here we go again... :D:

I was going to add my own Norris-esk KW joke, until you 3 guys had to steal the moment :redneck

Exit_Only
01-05-2006, 01:08 PM
Buehrle and Garland were significantly younger and less experienced. It's not that there's any harm in having him pitch out of the pen. It's just that they're not getting any real value from him doing that. IMO, they'd be far better off trading either Contreras or Vazquez for a significant upgrade elsewhere and having McCarthy in the rotation. They incur no big loss in the starting rotation and get the upgrade in a position player. The only cost is the unlikely chance of having one of the starters go down and not having a top replacement. But I don't think you give up a sure improvement in the roster on the off chance that one of the starters (who have NO history of injuries) goes down. It's a chance well worth taking.

In any other season I might agree with that, but not in a year after 3/5 of the rotation pitched career highs, and 3/5 will log more innings in the WBC.

That said, if a pitching-starved GM will greatly overpay for Contreras or Vazquez, KW should deal.

DaleJRFan
01-05-2006, 01:14 PM
In any other season I might agree with that, but not in a year after 3/5 of the rotation pitched career highs, and 3/5 will log more innings in the WBC.

That said, if a pitching-starved GM will greatly overpay for Contreras or Vazquez, KW should deal.

If KW can sign Contreras to a 2 or 3 year extension, would he then deal Vazquez for a couple of bullpen arms + maybe a prospect or two?? I was wondering why the Sox didn't have an introduction press conference for Javier after the trade was finalized... Maybe KW plans to resign JC and move Vazquez for a few arms. I always felt like KW traded for Vazquez more as an insurance policy in the event JC or JG didn't re-up with the Sox.... and as soon as both guys are "officially" in KW's 3 year plan, Vazquez would get flipped for another team need....

Tekijawa
01-05-2006, 01:17 PM
If KW can sign Contreras to a 2 or 3 year extension, would he then deal Vazquez for a couple of bullpen arms + maybe a prospect or two?? I was wondering why the Sox didn't have an introduction press conference for Javier after the trade was finalized... Maybe KW plans to resign JC and move Vazquez for a few arms. I always felt like KW traded for Vazquez more as an insurance policy in the event JC or JG didn't re-up with the Sox.... and as soon as both guys are "officially" in KW's 3 year plan, Vazquez would get flipped for another team need....

Or it could be that Vazquez lives in another country... but I'm up for Conspiracies!

Flight #24
01-05-2006, 01:18 PM
Buehrle and Garland were significantly younger and less experienced. It's not that there's any harm in having him pitch out of the pen. It's just that they're not getting any real value from him doing that. IMO, they'd be far better off trading either Contreras or Vazquez for a significant upgrade elsewhere and having McCarthy in the rotation. They incur no big loss in the starting rotation and get the upgrade in a position player. The only cost is the unlikely chance of having one of the starters go down and not having a top replacement. But I don't think you give up a sure improvement in the roster on the off chance that one of the starters (who have NO history of injuries) goes down. It's a chance well worth taking.

There's also the development/cost timeline issue. You want to use his "cheap" years to maximize the value from McCarthy. If you assume that he'll hit his ace-caliber stride in his 2d or 3d year as a fulltime starter, then you're talking about having him as a dominant, cheap pitcher for 3-4 years. If you instead, keep him in the bullpen for a year, then he hits his stride in his 3d/4th year and you've just "lost" a year.

It's similar to what happened with Garland. He developed at the major league level, but right when he turned the corner, he was a pending FA.

So if you can accelerate McCarthy's development as a starter without hurting the team by removing him from the 'pen (and I'd assume any Jose/Javier trade would include a reliever coming back or free up cash to sign one), you can maximize the value you get out of Brandon, and add in the value you get out of getting prospects back in the trade.

russ99
01-05-2006, 01:20 PM
This seems like just another KW smokescreen...

Under the Radar!!! :)

DaleJRFan
01-05-2006, 01:23 PM
Or it could be that Vazquez lives in another country... but I'm up for Conspiracies!

give me a break, I'm on an hour of sleep... :redneck

Exit_Only
01-05-2006, 01:26 PM

I like it. I value Contreras and definately Garland more than I do Vazquez, so if Jose were to sign, I'd like to see Vazquez moved if one must go.

I value Vazquez the least because he hasn't yet worked with Coop, and I think he is partly responsible for the peaks our pitchers reached last year.

Exit_Only
01-05-2006, 01:39 PM
There's also the development/cost timeline issue. You want to use his "cheap" years to maximize the value from McCarthy. If you assume that he'll hit his ace-caliber stride in his 2d or 3d year as a fulltime starter, then you're talking about having him as a dominant, cheap pitcher for 3-4 years. If you instead, keep him in the bullpen for a year, then he hits his stride in his 3d/4th year and you've just "lost" a year.

It's similar to what happened with Garland. He developed at the major league level, but right when he turned the corner, he was a pending FA.

So if you can accelerate McCarthy's development as a starter without hurting the team by removing him from the 'pen (and I'd assume any Jose/Javier trade would include a reliever coming back or free up cash to sign one), you can maximize the value you get out of Brandon, and add in the value you get out of getting prospects back in the trade.
I think that philosophy would be more important to a team that was on the rise, but not World Series bound. In the Sox's current situation, we are World Series contenders for the next two seasons. I say we lose a year of McCarthy down the road to make us an even better team over the next two years.

Also, BMac did grow up rooting for the Sox, so he might sign for slightly less than his market value to stay here.

Based on the team's current makup and who the pitcher involved is, I say we go down guns blazing for the next two seasons and worry about McCarthy's contract only when we have to.

DaleJRFan
01-05-2006, 01:52 PM
I think that philosophy would be more important to a team that was on the rise, but not World Series bound. In the Sox's current situation, we are World Series contenders for the next two seasons. I say we lose a year of McCarthy down the road to make us an even better team over the next two years.

Also, BMac did grow up rooting for the Sox, so he might sign for slightly less than his market value to stay here.

Based on the team's current makup and who the pitcher involved is, I say we go down guns blazing for the next two seasons and worry about McCarthy's contract only when we have to.

Sox don't have to worry about McCarthy's contract until 2012... Honestly, McCarthy is as ready as he will ever be. Did you see any of his starts in September? Seemingly, he's already a better pitcher than Vazquez, now. After getting his ass handed to him in a handful of his starts after his first call-up, he still managed to finish with a lower ERA than roughly 85% of the starters in the AL.

santo=dorf
01-05-2006, 02:08 PM
I highly doubt Kenny gave up Chris Young and a two arms to get.......a couple of bullpen arms.

He would be completely stupid to trade Vazquez at this point (Have some ****ing faith in Javy please!)

Hitmen77
01-05-2006, 03:20 PM
I highly doubt Kenny gave up Chris Young and a two arms to get.......a couple of bullpen arms.

He would be completely stupid to trade Vazquez at this point (Have some ****ing faith in Javy please!)

I agree that we didn't give up Chris Young and Vizcaino just to dump Vazquez. That being said, Vazquez is the Sox starter I'm least confident in. Does anyone have any good theories as to why he had a dropoff in performance starting in the 2nd half of '04 after being an all-star calliber pitcher before then?

By the way, I think it's amazing that the Sox rotation at this point in time is so good that there's even a question as to whether Javier Vazquez is good enough to be our fifth starter. Man, I can't wait until the season starts!:cool:

Sell Jerry Sell!
01-05-2006, 03:24 PM
"I made the call [to Baltimore] out of curiosity," Williams said. "Early on, there was no match from our end."

Anyone read anything into this? He says early on there was no match, does that mean there might be one eventually?

MERPER
01-05-2006, 03:24 PM
1. I take nothing KW says to the media to hold much weight.. especially when the Cubune is the only one reporting it because he has had a history of leading them in one direction and going another... thus, the talks of the end of trading is probably him just putting up a smokescreen, and probably means the exact opposite... I expect something to come out of nowhere

2. I like having 6 capable starters and if no team is willing to give up what KW wants for Contreras then we will just have to be content with having the deepest rotation in all of baseball

3. I don't blame KW for not wanting to give Jose too many years given his age... let's see what kind of season he has first and then figure his situation out around the trade deadline

4. 3-year window= 2 more championships=DYNASTY

5. Joe Crede has expressed to numerous people that he has 2 goals for his career... to win a World Series (DONE) and to finish his career with the organization that gave him the chance and where he loves the atmosphere(the White Sox)

Tekijawa
01-05-2006, 03:28 PM
5. Joe Crede has expressed to numerous people that he has 2 goals for his career... to win a World Series (DONE) and to finish his career with the organization that gave him the chance and where he loves the atmosphere(the White Sox)

I highly doubt that Crede got all those words out with out at lest 5 "you knows" in there. :redneck

TheOldRoman
01-05-2006, 03:53 PM

I have faith in Vazquez, but I am not so sure we are keeping him.
KW wants stability in the rotation, that is why he traded for Javier. Javier provided the Sox with leverage to get Garland signed quickly and cheaply. The Sox now have leverage against Jose. If they can get him to resign for cheap, I can see them dealing Vazquez.
The Orioles have always wanted Vazquez. They inquired about him several times last year. He would like playing there, because it is much closer to Puerto Rico. If Contreras is resigned, I could see the Orioles giving us Tejada for Uribe and three years of Vazquez at a reasonable price. Keep in mind that O's have Leo Mazzone now. If Vazquez goes there, he will become an ace again (like he would with the Sox). In that case, KW would have turned Chris Young and two arms into Tejada.
I won't be certain Vazquez stays with the Sox until he is on the roster on opening day.

Tekijawa
01-05-2006, 04:06 PM
He would like playing there, because it is much closer to Puerto Rico.

Chicago to San Juan has 5 flight daily and the trip takes about 4hours and 30minutes

Baltimore to San Juan takes 3:40 and has one flight a day.

Not to much difference, I guess he'd probably get the "company jet" if he really needed to get back, but if I had the choice of playing on the defending world Champs or a team that will duke it out for the Cellar of the AL East I think that 50 minute difference would seem much smaller than it really is!

Iwritecode
01-05-2006, 04:07 PM
I highly doubt that Crede got all those words out with out at lest 5 "you knows" in there. :redneck

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that.

I found it incredibly difficult to listen to his post-game interviews during the re-airing of the playoff games on Comcast. I had to skip over a few. I wonder if he even realizes he's doing it? Not saying I could do any better. :cool:

PK really seem to be one of the better ones at leaving out the "ums" and "uhs" and "you knows" when talking to reporters.

Jordan was pretty good at it too. He certainly had plenty of practice. :D:

Tekijawa
01-05-2006, 04:11 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that.

I found it incredibly difficult to listen to his post-game interviews during the re-airing of the playoff games on Comcast. I had to skip over a few. I wonder if he even realizes he's doing it? Not saying I could do any better. :cool:

PK really seem to be one of the better ones at leaving out the "ums" and "uhs" and "you knows" when talking to reporters.

Being in sales, I notice those things a lot more because we have been so hard wired not to use those, I still do when out side of the office but "um", there I don't "you know" need to act as "uh" professional!

Most definitely! :)

Ol' No. 2
01-05-2006, 04:12 PM
Chicago to San Juan has 5 flight daily and the trip takes about 4hours and 30minutes

Baltimore to San Juan takes 3:40 and has one flight a day.

Not to much difference, I guess he'd probably get the "company jet" if he really needed to get back, but if I had the choice of playing on the defending world Champs or a team that will duke it out for the Cellar of the AL East I think that 50 minute difference would seem much smaller than it really is!And it's a hell of a lot better than Phoenix to San Juan, which has almost no direct flights and the shortest trip is about 9 hrs.

Frater Perdurabo
01-05-2006, 04:17 PM
Allow me to post a very important quote that backs up what I had previously told all the "Trade Crede because Boras is his agent" people. Crede told the Daily Southtown in July that he wanted to continue his career on the South Side and that if he believed his representation was not keeping his best interest in mind, "I'd make some changes."
POTW (with quoted text), simply because that's awesome news! :smile:

Tekijawa
01-05-2006, 04:17 PM
And it's a hell of a lot better than Phoenix to San Juan, which has almost no direct flights and the shortest trip is about 9 hrs.

especially those 22 times more you lost there as opposed to here, winning cures a lot of things!

Ol' No. 2
01-05-2006, 04:26 PM
especially those 22 times more you lost there as opposed to here, winning cures a lot of things!He said he wanted to be traded because of the hardship on his family, but I never realized how bad it was. A quick Travelocity search showed NO direct flights. All required a change of planes in Houston or Atlanta or somewhere else, and most were in the 10-11 hr range. If I had a family with small children and they had to endure that to come visit me, I'd want to be traded, too. Landing on the defending World Series Champions is icing on the cake.

kevin57
01-05-2006, 04:42 PM
The comment by many that Kenny's comments to the Cubune should not be taken seriously, that his M.O. is to fly under the radar, etc. are well-taken.

HOWEVER,

Don't you think the media--as dumb as even they are--will sooner or later figure out they're being played for fools? And when they do, they will crucify KW. They'll bide their time and wait for a bad year, a bad trade, etc., and they'll try to make him look like J. Krause.

Not saying this because I'm afraid of it, or because I think KW is unaware of this dynamic, but because Sox fans should be cognizant to it if and when it happens.

Flight #24
01-05-2006, 04:51 PM
They'll bide their time and wait for a bad year, a bad trade, etc., and they'll try to make him look at J. Krause.

Is that like looking directly at the sun or something?

kevin57
01-05-2006, 04:58 PM
Is that like looking directly at the sun or something?

:redface: Thanks for the correction...now edited.

Actually, making KW look "at" J. Krause for any length of time would probably violate the Geneva Conventions.